Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Hair clippers for men, any good ones?
05-26-2013, 07:37 PM
Hair clippers for men, any good ones?
I'm interested in buying a hair clipper and giving myself some simple haircuts. I was going through the black mens haircut thread and haircuts like a high and tight, recon or basic buzz cuts seem like something I could do myself. Potentially even learn how to give myself a fade Big Grin but who knows.
So what would be some good hair clippers I could look at and buy? and what would be the best online place to buy a good hair clipper as I prefer buying online? Be very thankful of some suggested hair clippers.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-26-2013, 09:13 PM
RE: Hair clippers for men, any good ones?
There are some pretty good hair clippers on Amazon and in the Men's Hair Shop (which works with Amazon too). Prices vary and so does battery life, but you can pretty much divide hair clippers into "with cord" and "cordless"

Hair clippers with electric cord

Oster Classic 76 Professional Hair Clipper: among the best hair clippers money can buy, used by barbers and is heavy duty. Has everything you need in a hair clipper, even lubricating oil to keep the clipper running smooth no matter what!

Oster Professional 76023-510 Fast Feed Clipper: powerful (step down from the Classic 76), great for thick hair

Wahl 79524 24-Piece Deluxe Hair Clipper Kit: great value hair clipper

Cordless hair clippers

Wahl 79600-2101 Lithium Ion Cordless Clipper: powerful and light

Panasonic ER224S All-in-One Cordless Hair and Beard Trimmer: lots of lengths to choose from and great for defining the hairline.

Wahl Sterling Eclipse Clipper Lithium battery: battery lasts super long and clipper is very easy to use.

These six hair clippers all will take long to break down. With hair clippers, generally you get what you pay for so if you're looking for the best hairclippers then put price secondary.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
05-26-2013, 09:32 PM (This post was last modified: 05-26-2013 09:32 PM by Vladimir.)
now that's a nice list TheMensHairForum. Since I'm balding one of the options I'm considering is buzzing it all once a week or so, so I'm going to need a heavy duty one that can hold up nicely. The Oster classic 76 looks really good considering the specs and that it's on offer too. Will it buzz through thick curly hair and that way I can use it to buzz my kids hair aside from my hair?
05-26-2013, 10:02 PM
Well Vladimir, the Oster Classic 76 is designed to be used with thick bushy hair (what kids normally have) and frequently as in the barbershop environment. You can't go wrong with the Oster Classic 76 for your situation.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
05-26-2013, 10:22 PM
(05-26-2013 09:13 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Oster Classic 76 Professional Hair Clipper: among the best hair clippers money can buy, used by barbers and is heavy duty. Has everything you need in a hair clipper, even lubricating oil to keep the clipper running smooth no matter what!

Oster Professional 76023-510 Fast Feed Clipper: powerful (step down from the Classic 76), great for thick hair

These two Oster hair clippers are pretty good at not getting too hot either. One of the problems we barbers face is overheating of the hair clippers and if you are looking for a heavy duty hair clipper, ability to handle overheating should be a priority.

Those two quoted Oster hair clippers handle overheating well and the Classic 76 Oster model is great for anyone looking to buzz their own hair.

Oldschool barber getting it on with the internet era.
05-26-2013, 11:22 PM
Barber mentions a very important point: overheating.
Everytime I have purchased a hair clipper based on price (low), it broke from overheating Big Grin I have the Oster Professional series and so far so good...
05-27-2013, 07:37 PM
My brother has the Oster classic 76 and he uses it to buzz his 4 kids hair like sheep wool LOL He says it works like a charm.
05-28-2013, 12:28 AM
(05-26-2013 09:13 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Oster Classic 76 Professional Hair Clipper: among the best hair clippers money can buy, used by barbers and is heavy duty. Has everything you need in a hair clipper, even lubricating oil to keep the clipper running smooth no matter what!

Count another vote for the Oster classic 76. I have had this hair clipper for some time now and it is the longest lasting Ive had so far. Even when my hair is at buzzed length it is very thick nd I find the oster classic 76 does a pretty good job at buzzing without painfully pulling the hair like most other commercial hair clippers do.
08-08-2013, 08:50 PM
so i ended up buying this hair clipper (below)

(05-26-2013 09:13 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Cordless hair clippers

and i can say the wahl 79600 is the best hair clipper i've had. and i have tried a couple other cordless hair clippers in the past that claimed to be among the best hair clippers in the market, so this one isn't the first cordless clipper i get to try and use.
when you (TMHF) posted that the wahl 79600-2101 lithium ion was light i wasn't expecting it to be that light for the amount of power it has, i was buzzing through the hair effortlessly, and no dreadful overheating!! (thank god, hate overheating of hair clippers with a passion)
08-13-2013, 09:02 AM
(05-26-2013 09:13 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Hair clippers with electric cord

Oster Classic 76 Professional Hair Clipper: among the best hair clippers money can buy, used by barbers and is heavy duty. Has everything you need in a hair clipper, even lubricating oil to keep the clipper running smooth no matter what!

Wahl 79524 24-Piece Deluxe Hair Clipper Kit: great value hair clipper

Cordless hair clippers

Panasonic ER224S All-in-One Cordless Hair and Beard Trimmer: lots of lengths to choose from and great for defining the hairline.

Wahl Sterling Eclipse Clipper Lithium battery: battery lasts super long and clipper is very easy to use.

The hair clippers suggested above by TheMensHairForum are very good; with a hair clipper, it is imperative to go for quality and not (low) price because a cheap hair clipper will let you down in more than occasion, and, by letting down, I'm referring to dying half way through a haircut (which can bring some big LOLzy time).

Author of the two bestselling hair-care books:

The Curly Hair Book: Or How Men Can Now Rock Their Waves, Coils And Kinks (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)

The Men's Hair Book: A Male's Guide To Hair Care, Hair Styles, Hair Grooming, Hair Products and Rocking It All Without The Baloney (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)
08-15-2013, 07:59 PM
I would like to add -or maybe ask!- if others find the same problem that cheap cordless hair clippers cant buzz through hair longer than 1 inch.
When i had cheap cordless hair clippers many times the clipper just died there without warning, took some seconds to restart or had to recharge again.
Very annoying!
08-15-2013, 08:23 PM (This post was last modified: 08-15-2013 08:23 PM by Jurgen.)
(08-15-2013 07:59 PM)Stevens Wrote:  I would like to add -or maybe ask!- if others find the same problem that cheap cordless hair clippers cant buzz through hair longer than 1 inch.

lol ask Barber (another mod) for his opinion about cheap cordless hair clippers...fyi he may get angry Big GrinBig Grin
08-20-2013, 08:49 PM
so what hair clippers would give the closest barbershop experience for men?? price dont matter, im talking what the pros would use, best hair clippers etc have a couple of friends interested and i told them id be asking in this forum as they say they want to upgrade from decent/good hair clippers to the best, money aside as they can afford to invest in this tools. thanks
08-22-2013, 01:15 PM
(08-20-2013 08:49 PM)Robert Wrote:  so what hair clippers would give the closest barbershop experience for men?? price dont matter

Robert, if you want the best hair clippers in terms of what is used in barbershops and willing to invest there are a few hair clippers worth investing in. These are used especially if you are going to be buzzing your hair all the time and most likely buzzing the hairs of others (e.g. children, friends). You can certainly use the following barber-like hair clippers if you will be using them on yourself only but they are expensive since it's more of the barbershop experience that you get. Without a doubt, the Oster hair clippers are among the best hair clippers for men and I know Barber (a mod here) loves them and he is an actual barber.

If you want those hair clippers, get these ones

Cordless hair clippers:

Andis Super BGR+ Cordless Rechargeable Clipper: super tough and can be used on animals too (I know a couple guys who used it for their dogs although there is a similar model of this hair clipper for horses, that's how though this Andis clipper is). Hardly heats even after a whole day use. Top range hair clipper from Andis, and those guys make good hair clippers. If you have the money, then buy this Andis as it will be at your service for years and always performing at its best. Lastly, it also comes with the whole set so no need to buy extra accessories for the clipper, it even comes in an actual hard case for traveling. You can't ask for more in a clipper and it's worth every penny you pay for it.

Wahl Chromado Cord-Cordless Clipper: can be used in animals too, some tough mofo.

ER1611 Panasonic Clipper Set with Charger Base/Stand: can't leave this one out as it's the Panasonic top range hair clipper. Great guard adjustments and very long life of the battery.

Cord hair clippers:

Oster model 10 Limited edition it's an Oster and is one of their top range hair clippers. Very worth the investment as it's not only a super solid hair clipper but it comes in a neat package like no other. This one has a cord but it's super long and made to go round the barbershop chairs.

Andis Ceramic BGRC Professional Detachable Blade Hair Clipper: this one is a very good one and hard that it heats up (due to the ceramic), if a hair clipper heats too much it will break faster. Only problem with this hair clipper is that you will have to buy as an extra feature the set of guard lengths, However considering the price of this Andis hair clipper, it's worth the purchase together with the extra guard lengths. Click here to get the extra guard lengths.

Remember the above hair clippers are for the barbershop experience, you can always get the cheaper yet great value hair clippers in my first post at the top of this thread Smile

08-22-2013, 02:17 PM
(08-15-2013 08:23 PM)Jurgen Wrote:  
(08-15-2013 07:59 PM)Stevens Wrote:  I would like to add -or maybe ask!- if others find the same problem that cheap cordless hair clippers cant buzz through hair longer than 1 inch.

lol ask Barber (another mod) for his opinion about cheap cordless hair clippers...fyi he may get angry Big GrinBig Grin

Stevens, dont buy cheap hair clippers. If you want quality results go for any of the hair clippers in this thread.

(08-22-2013 01:15 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Cordless hair clippers:

Andis Super BGR+ Cordless Rechargeable Clipper: super tough and can be used on animals too (I know a couple guys who used it for their dogs although there is a similar model of this hair clipper for horses, that's how though this Andis clipper is). Hardly heats even after a whole day use. Top range hair clipper from Andis, and those guys make good hair clippers. If you have the money, then buy this Andis as it will be at your service for years and always performing at its best. Lastly, it also comes with the whole set so no need to buy extra accessories for the clipper, it even comes in an actual hard case for traveling. You can't ask for more in a clipper and it's worth every penny you pay for it.

Cord hair clippers:

Oster model 10 Limited edition it's an Oster and is one of their top range hair clippers. Very worth the investment as it's not only a super solid hair clipper but it comes in a neat package like no other. This one has a cord but it's super long and made to go round the barbershop chairs.

Amen for the list above & especially these two hair clippers, true barbershop experience

Oldschool barber getting it on with the internet era.
08-23-2013, 06:47 PM
TheMensHairForum i just gotta say you killed it with that last hair clipper list!!! Best advice EVER
stuff like this is what bonds our online community even if at times we end up discussing Justin Biebers hair. Big Grin
08-27-2013, 05:31 PM
i know from barbershop experience u sure need a tough hair clipper like the ones posted in this thread, overheating aint the only problem but buzzing thru seriously thick black mens hair / curly hair lol i actually recognize the oster models posted in this thread from the barbershops i've been to any way
09-12-2013, 02:17 PM
I just Heart this forum, you guys know so much!! Smile

(08-22-2013 02:17 PM)Barber Wrote:  Cordless hair clippers:

Cord hair clippers:

Yes and yes!! I am a barbering student and we use the Oster models like the one quoted, love it hardly any overheating & goes thru just about everything, great recommendation mate. And I actually have the Andis Super AGR quoted above 4 my personal use & and my mates all the time asking me for a free high and tight and buzz cuts of all kinds Big Grin lasts very long, well worth the investment
Cheers!
09-27-2014, 12:10 AM
My faves are:
Andis Master #01585 because its all metal,Except for the switch which is odd.
Oster Fast Feed #76203-510 the blade is flatter for 0-.5(open blade) for a close cut
Wahl Senior 5 star #50208 just because I have gone through 2 of them In 18 years + they feel good in the hand!
All are magnetic & vibrate with the only moving parts being the blades. All are great for general/common use. If you grow wool, the best clippers are Osters Classic 76 #76076-010 It has a rotary motor(moving parts + air)& you could shear sheep with it!

Do not bother with cordless as I find them weak in power & are inconsistent while the charge is draining making chance for a poorer quality cut.
10-04-2014, 12:37 AM
Hair clippers - upgrade to midlevel from newbie
The reason i became aware of this forum is post #2 of this thread. It came up as one of the best search results, when i initially went on google, in search of a good hair clipper. That was about 2 months ago. Here is my story....

2 months ago, i had a dilemma ..... As a middle aged, balding man, i had a choice of shave it all or trim it myself. This was the the result of years of paying $20 (on average) to barbers who didn't meet my expectations (sorry, i am a perfectionist). As i was considering shaving my head, i pondered the radical look. Then, decided to enjoy what is left of my hair, for some more years that it will last, before i face the ultimate shaved head forever.

So, i decided to try my hand at clippers, and found only couple of places that had a list of recommended clippers (I am not allowed to post the link of the other site, yet). Settled on Wahl, primarily because I thought i wanted to keep 1.5 inches length in the front. I bought a starter level, Wahl 79300-400 Color Pro. After 3 uses, i have given myself a hair cut that rivals some of the best hair cuts i have had in a decade. But, here are the problems i face now...... and related questions i have
  1. This entry level clipper, has a blade length adjustment lever on the side. I can move it up or down in a smooth fashion, without clicks in between. The problem is, this lever adjustment does not stay in place, as i work around my head. It seems to automatically travel to "Close" position of blade, as there is no intermediate stop levels. The next one i purchase must have the ability to strongly stay in given lever position, even if i accidentally brush my hand/head against it.
  2. This is a great entry level clipper, if someone else was giving me haircut at home. But, i do this myself, with a hand mirror. Laugh it up, but, as a newbie, it takes me well over 2 hours to do a hair cut on myself, slow and steady. After 2 hours of use, this baby is warm-to-hot, and i can not comfortably hold it (in all positions that i want). So, i am planning on investing a bit more to upgrade to a mid-level clipper. One of the criteria i have is that the clipper should not turn hot, even after 3 hrs of use; this means a better/bigger motor.
  3. I am not leaning towards any brand. From my 3 uses, i see Wahl as a well designed brand. From my research so far, this seems like the cheaper than Andis or the most recommended Oster. As i am not a professional, i do not need the top of the line clippers (that probably can go for 5+ hrs without heating up, on continuous use). So, my current thinking is that i maybe satisfied with a mid-level clipper.
  4. The clipper i chose must have 1.25 inch guide attachment available (from the same manufacturer). I know i can buy them at a 3rd party website, for any brand, but that costs too much for one guide. So, i prefer that the clipper i buy comes as a package, with guide combs ranging from #2 (2/8 inch) up to 1-inch length. As far as i have seen, Wahl is the only brand that comes with this assortment, built into a clipper package. Oster 76 seems to have a max of #6 (if i remember correctly from my research 2 months ago). But, please suggest any brand you like.
  5. I am planning to use this clipper in future, twice a month. So, i prefer one that is comfortable to hold in all different positions, as i use my hand-mirror from different angles and different hands.
  6. I prefer a corded model because i have researched and found issues with battery life in cordless models. In addition, the cordless are needlessly expensive, in my case.
  7. I have reviewed the user ratings for different brands and models at amazon, and i am aware of the reputation of the 3 brands i mentioned above. I am here to see, if i get feedback from professionals, who have used many different models/brands, and know which one fits the criteria i have mentioned.

Thanks for any replies.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Good hair products for the slicked back undercut? James 3 38,788 02-12-2015 08:37 AM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum
Question Good hairstyle products to style thinning hair? Vladimir 7 25,224 08-16-2014 10:06 AM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum