Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hair care tips for men to keep a fresh hairstyle and mane
08-22-2014, 10:51 AM
Hair care tips for men to keep a fresh hairstyle and mane
There are many ways in which hair can become damaged and we men are guilty of not paying sufficient to our manes. Mens hair is easily damaged by excessive combing and pulling as well as chemical treatments like perms, coloring and bleaching. Male hair can also be damaged by the sun and from excessive heat, such as blow dryers or curling irons. Even heavy winds can cause massive tangling and snarls. These things are all very harsh on mens hair. Just one usage of a curling iron or one perm treatment and your precious manly locks can be harmed badly enough to require the damage to be cut out due to severely split ends or fried hair. Men with curly hair and men with long hair have it even worse as curly hair and long hair are very easy to damage.

Many summer pastimes unfortunately wreak havoc on male hair too, and we forget this in our haste to enjoy life. Riding on a motorcycle is usually a great time, and so is swimming, boating, riding in a convertible or riding on roller coasters, but these can create incredible messes, stress hair out and do damage. The longer or curlier the hair, the quicker the damage will accrue.

The best way to protect your mane if riding on a motorcycle or roofless car is to either wear a bandana pulling the hair back under the helmet or, if your hair is long, to braid it or use a ponytail restrained with multiple fabric-wrapped hair bands or scrunchies going down the length. A simple braid will completely remove the possibility of damage that just the wind blowing would cause to unbound hair. Also, the closer to the ends of the hair that the braid or bands go, the better the protection of the ends. Anytime the hair is going to be subjected to such a condition, consider protecting it this way. The extreme wind can wreak chaos on your mane, whether you have short to medium hair or long hair.

Many people do not realize that when asleep, tossing and turning can cause unnecessary stress and tangling to long hair. Laying on and pulling hair while sleeping not only wakes a person up, but it encourages breakage. You can solve this by wearing a sleeping cap or do rag if you have short hair or by wearing a ponytail or braid if you have long hair. Any of these hair care solutions will significantly reduce chances of damaging hair at night. If you are serious about aesthetic hair as a male then wearing a sleeping cap or tying your hair will make a massive difference on the look and aesthetics of your hair.

Another remedy for nighttime is to use a silk pillowcase. This has helped many, especially those with thick hair or curly hair, although if you are a male with long fine hair, silk sometimes encourages the hair to fall back into the bed more, defeating its detangling purpose. But for most men, silk reduces the friction of hair rubbing against usual cotton fabric. This is good for individuals who cannot sleep with a sleeping cap or with their hair tied. I would still consider wearing a sleeping cap or tying your hair, but if you would rather not, then get silk pillowcases as they will improve your hair a lot. Silk is not cheap though, but I'm sure you can find some good cheap silk pillowcases online or ask a mod here in the forum.

In closing, the less stress hair goes through, the less damage it will accrue and the fewer trims it will need, meaning that you will get to keep your chosen haircut and hair shape for as long as you want since your hair quality will be the same as the first day you got yourself your new hairstyle look.

I highly encourage you guys to follow these tips. FYI these tips are in 'The Mens Hair book' too along with many other tips, but tips like the silk pillowcases have made a huge difference on my hair. I am a long hair dude so I have to be even more careful than y'all short haired dudes, so if these tips have helped me, then they will help you too.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-11-2014, 05:01 AM
RE: Hair care tips for men to keep a fresh hairstyle and mane
Thanks for putting together!
09-13-2014, 12:57 PM
Cool hairstyle man! Smile
09-15-2014, 05:20 PM
Great tips, noted!
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Need help to achieve hairstyle - Alan Wilder from Depeche Mode oliharps01 0 185 10-18-2016 04:19 PM
Last Post: oliharps01
  Trying to get into hair care/styling, no idea where/how to start Anonymoose17 0 160 10-16-2016 07:06 AM
Last Post: Anonymoose17
  How to get better hair and hairstyles as a male - 5 easy tips The Hairstylist 0 272 10-03-2016 10:32 AM
Last Post: The Hairstylist
  Growing Man Bun Hairstyle with Short Wavy Curly Hair and Puffy thickheadedandhaired 3 1,383 05-02-2016 04:24 PM
Last Post: Refrusloi