Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Hair Types for Men - Guide for Straight hair, Wavy hair, Coiled hair and Kinky hair
03-20-2014, 07:30 AM
RE: Hair Types for Men - Guide for Straight hair, Wavy hair, Coiled hair and Kinky hair
(03-20-2014 06:51 AM)shane88 Wrote:  
(01-12-2014 07:57 PM)briantwj Wrote:  Hi guys, I've always think I have the wavy hair, until i saw this thread. My hair is a bit like Justin Bieber's in the picture above. Just that it is longer than his.

My hair is straight, but when I do not apply hair products on it. It appears to be a bit curly, which misconcepts me that I have wavy hairs. Undecided

Can't really show a photo of my hair due to the fact that I need 11 posts first.

Seems like I have straight hair afterall. Big Grin

Yes I understand I have straight hair but mine does goes a bit wavy visually when not styled at all, won't help that I have very very dense hair (thick hair)
I did the ISEZ test to find my hairtype, it was very close to being wavy though
Top effort on the page as well guys Big Grin

Yep, straight hair does not "endlessly" grow straight and you can expect some very small curving at the 3+ inch length mark. Just the act of brushing or combing your hair can bend the hair permanently since the part of the hair you see (called shaft) has no way to repair itself. Even pulling your hair (very common with the curly types) will slightly deform your hair (and make it more brittle too).

All of the above is why having 4 typing categories with solid descriptions but with some margin for gray areas is good. Hair shape is determine genetically so you can expect all kinds of shapes and funky variations on the hair types. However at the end of the day, putting one's hair into a type should not be over stressed about and going with the instructions in this guide is more than enough to get the starting point of one's hair customization (which is what men need and not more pretty pictures of male models with silly hairstyles that look equally silly on us regular dudes Big Grin).

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-28-2014, 08:50 AM
RE: Hair Types for Men - Guide for Straight hair, Wavy hair, Coiled hair and Kinky hair
Congrats on your hair type details. These hairstyles look very beautiful.
06-27-2014, 08:52 AM
Very interesting, id always assumed i had wavy hair as once it reaches down to around ear level id start developing what i deemed to be natural waves, growing my hair further id always assumed the weight pulled out the waves, i now know its straight hair Big Grin
08-05-2014, 01:25 AM
This is a really good Guide!
I dunno if this is also about Hair Type, but how would i be able to find out if i have Fine/mediu/thick hair? I.e the thickness of one single hair. Is there a certain diameter, so i could know if i have fine or whatever hair?
08-20-2014, 05:23 PM
I've got probably the worst hair for styling...thin and nearly pin straight. It can get a BIT of a bend at the tips if I don't put in any product and air dry it, but it's a pain to style, doesn't hold well.
11-14-2014, 11:00 AM
My (pretty thick) hair starts waving a bit when it reaches a fairly long length - particularly around the fringe - but it doesn't really look anything like those photos of Clooney et al...it generally looks very straight unless i tousle it. should i still approach styling from the wavy-hair-standpoint?
12-11-2014, 01:41 PM
Thanks a lot! I guess I have wavy hair but I will post you a picture soon and show you all!
04-13-2015, 11:37 PM
Possible to be a combination of more than one? Mine is somewhere between wavy, curly and kinky! I seriously think mine is the worse hair to have.
04-14-2015, 06:05 AM
(04-13-2015 11:37 PM)itsme39 Wrote:  Possible to be a combination of more than one? Mine is somewhere between wavy, curly and kinky! I seriously think mine is the worse hair to have.

Oh yes that is very possible and common. Normally it's like the hair on the top is one type and the hair below on the sides and back, closer to the hairline, is of another type.

As explained in this forum guide the hair types of wavy, coiled and kinky fall under the curly hair types. So you have curly hair if your hair is wavy, coiled (forms defined coils) or kinky (forms really small coils that are hard to see from three feet away). The hair type guide used in this forum is the same one from the book The Men's Hair Book and created by Rogelio Samson (he sometimes posts in this forum). I personally think it's the best way to profile your hair. It's also the reason why this forum has a dedicated 'straight hair' section and a dedicated 'curly hair' section (for guys with wavy, coiled or kinky curly hair).

So from what you say you happen to have curly hair. Simple stuff like combing your hair with a fine tooth comb can make your hair type change, for example, as your curly hair pattern breaks from pulling it with the comb. Also sleeping on the sides of your head squashes the curls so they become matted and lose their shape.

There's a lot of stuff that can affect the real natural shape of your curly hair. So long as you know that it isn't straight (which is very easy to tell), you will know that your hair is curly and that will mean that you have a higher need for a conditioner and a lower need for shampooing during the week.

For example a guy with coiled curly hair can easily only shampoo his hair twice a week and use a conditioner four times per week. The conditioner is used after the two sessions with the shampoos and an extra two days in the shower alone (wet your hair, use the conditioner, then rinse it out).
06-05-2015, 03:00 PM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2015 03:10 PM by Wild_Free.)
What kind of hair grows up, poofs up into a ball instead of falling down? Not an Afro but just gets thicker and thicker instead of getting longer. Maybe Wavy? You bet I want it to fall down but first I have to determine my hair type.
06-06-2015, 08:11 AM
Coiled curly hair is a male hair type that is between wavy and kinky curly!
You probably have coiled curly hair, which stands between wavy hair and kinky curly hair. With coiled curly hair, the curls form as coils and they puff up, similar to how kinky curly hair does in the Afro hairstyle. However, with coiled curly hair, you're able to see the coils from 3 feet away, whereas with kinky curly hair you don't.

Wavy hair tends to hang down as soon as it stats to get longer than 4 inches of length. So, if you're talking of an Afro-like resemblance to your hair, then your hair is very likely coiled.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
06-07-2015, 05:20 PM (This post was last modified: 06-07-2015 05:21 PM by Wild_Free.)
Thanks, definitely no coils. I'd say may hair is sort of like John Stamos. It's coarse but not sure if "coarse" is an official hair type. How John's just poofs up and doesn't really fall to the side. Only really down the back if you want to call it that. I know this is going back a ways as far as styling goes but I don't think I could get my hair to look like Graham Nash of CSN&Y when he had long hair Wink
06-08-2015, 07:14 AM
Thick wavy hair will puff up and out until it achieves enough length.
I see, then you will definitively have wavy hair. John Stamos's hair was wavy too, but when it is very short, it actually looks like straight hair (this is something very common with wavy hair). Then, as soon as wavy hair grows from 2 inches and longer, it will puff up, but by the 6-inch length mark it will fall down, unlike coiled hair.

Having coarse hair does add a little bit to the issue of having your hair puffing up. The thicker the hair, the longer the length that it needs to hang down, hence with coarse wavy hair you could be looking at a couple of months of hair growth in which your hair simply stands vertical and to the sides.

We don't really incorporate hair coarseness into the hair type guide because it is very difficult to measure unless you have a microscope. You'd have to analyze some of your hair strands under a microscope to be able to tell their diameter and then compare it against a healthy range of hair thickness in men.

What may look like coarse hair to you may, very well, be instead thin hair (not to be confused with thinning hair!). Likewise, lots of guys tend to confuse coarse hair or thick hair with a high hair density. In fact, this is a very common mistake that we see all the time and many barbers and hairdressers make the same mistake too.

The above is why we have narrowed down the profiling of hair to its shape (i.e. type) and its length (with our hair length guide). Once you know that, then your choice of suitable hairstyles and you way to go about your hair care become a walk in the part!

06-08-2015, 06:46 PM
Yup, I had wavy hair and I did not know it untill I started growing out my hair. It was not untill my hair was like 3 inches long untill I started noticing it.
06-18-2015, 09:09 PM
My hair seems to switch between straight and wavy. I.e. Sometimes it'll be really straight but other times my fringe and the ends of random strands will clump together and wave slightly. It gets really bad if my hair gets wet and I don't dry it immediately.
04-03-2016, 10:41 AM
Thank you for your time and effort in posting this up to help us. I have thick wavy hair which is often troublesome when slicking it.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Mohawk hairstyle and haircut guide - How to and Pictures TheMensHairForum 17 28,484 07-19-2017 07:14 PM
Last Post: Robert.Brown
  Short Haircuts for Men - Guide with Pictures, Tips and Advice TheMensHairForum 23 544,135 07-19-2017 11:17 AM
Last Post: Robert.Brown
  Epic Styling Guide for Slicked Back Hair - How To, Pictures and Products TheMensHairForum 37 700,484 03-30-2017 04:05 PM
Last Post: Juniorz7604
  2 Step Undercut Hairstyle: Official Haircut Guide with Pictures and How-To Advice Jurgen 7 132,077 02-28-2017 02:19 AM
Last Post: Ilovehairstyle