Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Hair Types for Men - Guide for Straight hair, Wavy hair, Coiled hair and Kinky hair
05-14-2013, 08:51 PM
Hair Types for Men - Guide for Straight hair, Wavy hair, Coiled hair and Kinky hair
The shape of your hair can be put into a type, among other unique hair traits that men can have. The best hair type guide for men is the ISEZ hair type guide, which was created by men's hair expert Rogelio Samson. Rogelio is a pioneer in the men's hair field and, among many of his achievements, is creating the popular ISEZ hair type guide and method, which we officially use in this forum and which is a guide that he details in depth in his bestselling book The Men's Hair Book, a book for men's hair care and men's hairstyles that we highly recommend in this forum for anyone interested in improving his hair.

The ISEZ hair type guide is thus essential for you to know about your hair and profile it, which then allows you to establish the foundation to customizing your hair styles and hair care. Without knowing your hair type, you are like a lost boat sailing across the ocean, and it is imperative you get to know the type of your hair, either through our summarized version of the ISEZ method in this post (with permission and prior consulting from Rogelio) or through his book, where you will find everything you need to know about your mane. Period. (CLICK HERE to see/read more about The Men's Hair Book).

There are essentially 4 hair types, which are based on the shape of your hair. You will have a predominant hair type on your scalp although sometimes you may have very small sections of the scalp with another hair type.

The shape of your hair will resemble an alphabetical letter; ergo the mnemonic ISEZ for this popular hair type method.

Hair types
  • Straight hair
  • Wavy hair
  • Coiled hair
  • Kinky hair

Note that there is no mention of curly hair because curly hair can cover a wide range of shapes that are hard to put into specific types and hence create a lot of confusion. According to the ISEZ hair type method, it is best to call "curly" a texture and not a hair type, and curly as a texture covers wavy hair, coiled hair and kinky hair. Straight hair is another hair texture, and it is referred to as a "non-curly" texture.

Hair textures
  • Non-curly (i.e. straight hair)
  • Curly (i.e. wavy hair, coiled hair, kinky hair)

How to find out your hair type

Inspect your hair in the mirror and try to come up with the specific shape of your hair. Compare the shape of your hair with the description of each hair type and the men that are referenced for each hair type. If your hair is shorter than half an inch, you may have problems finding out your hair type so either wait to grow your hair a bit longer or look at pictures of yourself with longer hair.

Straight hair

Straight hair grows without bending at all. The shape resembles an I.

Men with straight hair include Tom Cruise, Justin Bieber and Brad Pitt

[Image: tom-cruise.jpg]

[Image: alg-justin-bieber-jpg.jpg]

[Image: 1336574416_brad-pitt-lg.jpg]

Wavy hair

Wavy hair bends as it grows, producing shapes that resemble an S.

Men with wavy hair include George Clooney, Adrian Grenier and Antonio Banderas

[Image: antonio_banderas.jpg]

[Image: george-clooney-02-435.jpg]

[Image: adrien_grenier.jpg]

Coiled hair

Coiled hair bends deeply as it grows, forming shapes like coils and ringlets. When looked in two dimensions, the coils resemble cursive E shapes.

Men with coiled hair include Justin Timberlake, John Turturro and Will Ferrell.

[Image: 470_2266614.0]

[Image: 1331666934_b24.jpg]

[Image: 800px-Mark_Wahlberg_Will_Ferrell_San_Die...n_2010.jpg]

Kinky hair

Kinky hair forms as very tight coils, so tight that its difficult to see the definition of the locks from 3 feet away (this is the main difference between the coiled hair type and kinky hair type). To see the kinky locks, you'd have to get closer. Kinky hair strands form such tight kinks that they resemble Z shapes.

Men with kinky hair include Will Smith, Cuba Gooding Junior and Denzel Washington. Kinky hair is also known as afro-textured hair and even nappy hair.

[Image: cuba-gooding-jr-dec-2012-gi.jpg]

[Image: denzel_washington1_300_400.jpg]

[Image: Will-Smith-9542165-1-402.jpg]

I'm not sure about my hair type

The most common scenario for being uncertain about your hair type is when your hair is too short. Ideally, your hair should be longer than half an inch to find out its type, although you can simply look at past pictures of yourself with longer hair and then match your hair shape to the description of the hair types and the referenced men.

Conclusion

We recommend you in the forum to know your hair type so that you can customize any hair care or grooming you do. Most men's hair care is generic though there are some parts to it that differ between hair types.

References

You can find the ISEZ hair type guide in the book The Men's Hair Book; a whole chapter is dedicated to hair profiling, including the 4 hair types. This guide has been compiled consulting Rogelio (author of The Men's Hair Book).

Questions/Comments?

If you have any questions or want to post your pictures for reference, post them here.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-14-2013, 09:50 PM
RE: Hair Types for Men - Guide for Straight hair, Wavy hair, Coiled hair and Kinky hair
Would then typical black mens hair be labelled kinky or afro textured then?
05-15-2013, 03:15 PM
RE: Hair Types for Men - Guide for Straight hair, Wavy hair, Coiled hair and Kinky hair
Kudos for this guide! so this is the same guide in the mens hair book?
05-15-2013, 07:38 PM
(05-14-2013 09:50 PM)AfroJay Wrote:  Would then typical black mens hair be labelled kinky or afro textured then?

Not all black men have kinky hair though. Most black men have hair ranging from defined coils to very tight coils that lack definition.

Black mens hair as a term (I have heard this term before) is not very specific because race/ethnicity is not exclusive to a specific hair type. That's why we encourage the use of this hair typing method and terms in this forum.

What would you say is your hair type following the guide?

(05-15-2013 03:15 PM)Machado Wrote:  Kudos for this guide! so this is the same guide in the mens hair book?

Yes, but this guide is a very brief summary of it. The ISEZ hair type guide is a big part of hair profiling in The Men's Hair Book.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
05-15-2013, 08:14 PM
(05-15-2013 07:38 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  
(05-14-2013 09:50 PM)AfroJay Wrote:  Would then typical black mens hair be labelled kinky or afro textured then?
Not all black men have kinky hair though. Most black men have hair ranging from defined coils to very tight coils that lack definition. Black mens hair as a term (I have heard this term) is not very specific because race/ethnicity is not exclusive to a specific hair type. Thats why we encourage the use of this hair typing method and terms in this forum.

(05-15-2013 03:15 PM)Machado Wrote:  Kudos for this guide! so this is the same guide in the mens hair book?
Yes, but this guide is a very brief summary of it. The ISEZ hair type guide is a big part of hair profiling in The Men's Hair Book.

Admin is right; black men can have any type of curly hair, including wavy hair. In fact, "black" itself to denote skin colour is an abstract term too, for skin colour in people of African heritage will also vary. All of this is why in my books and guides I always use specific terms that are measurable and quantifiable, despite the popularity of terms such as "black (men's) hair" or "curly hair" as a hair type.

By all means, most African-American males have kinky hair (and thus the afro-textured term) whereas most half black/white males tend to have coiled hair. This is just a general observation and there are plenty of exceptions. Unfortunately, I cannot stop the whole male population from using such abstract terms to profile their locks, but this hair-type guide is a good start to get some good specifics on one's hair.

Any questions, feel free to ask them in this thread.

Author of the two bestselling hair-care books:

The Curly Hair Book: Or How Men Can Now Rock Their Waves, Coils And Kinks (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)

The Men's Hair Book: A Male's Guide To Hair Care, Hair Styles, Hair Grooming, Hair Products and Rocking It All Without The Baloney (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)
05-22-2013, 02:33 PM
(05-15-2013 08:14 PM)Curly Hair Wrote:  
(05-15-2013 07:38 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  
Not all black men have kinky hair though. Most black men have hair ranging from defined coils to very tight coils that lack definition. Black mens hair as a term (I have heard this term) is not very specific because race/ethnicity is not exclusive to a specific hair type. Thats why we encourage the use of this hair typing method and terms in this forum.

Admin is right; black men can have any type of curly hair, including wavy hair. In fact, "black" itself to denote skin colour is an abstract term too, for skin colour in people of African heritage will also vary. All of this is why in my books and guides I always use specific terms that are measurable and quantifiable, despite the popularity of terms such as "black (men's) hair" or "curly hair" as a hair type.

By all means, most African-American males have kinky hair (and thus the afro-textured term) whereas most half black/white males tend to have coiled hair. This is just a general observation and there are plenty of exceptions. Unfortunately, I cannot stop the whole male population from using such abstract terms to profile their locks, but this hair-type guide is a good start to get some good specifics on one's hair.

Any questions, feel free to ask them in this thread.

Congrats on your hair type guide, most hair typing guides are particularly "misguided" themselves. At our barbershop, we try to stay away from the curly hair label because it's a very vague term to define particular hair types. Like the way you use coiled as a hair type.

Oldschool barber getting it on with the internet era.
05-24-2013, 08:18 PM
Thanks for this hair type guide, absolutely loving it cos ive always been so confused with hair typing terms like afro, textured, kinky, nappy, curly etc. This guide really helps and I can easily type my hair now. What would be the next step once you know your hair type? Rogelio? anyone else?
05-25-2013, 03:31 AM
(05-24-2013 08:18 PM)Robert Wrote:  Thanks for this hair type guide, absolutely loving it cos ive always been so confused with hair typing terms like afro, textured, kinky, nappy, curly etc. This guide really helps and I can easily type my hair now. What would be the next step once you know your hair type? Rogelio? anyone else?

Once you find out your hair type, you then tailor your hair care and hair grooming to your given hair type as each hair type requires certain management parameters to make the most of one's own hair.
If u really want to learn all the details about hair profiling/typing, then I suggest you get "The Men's Hair Book" as Rogelio has written an epic blueprint for your hair where you can find how to tailor your hair according to hair type, hair length lifestyle etc but take into account this summary version of the guide explained in this thread is enough to profile your hair enough to improve your hair care. And you can find great hair information and more on profiling in Rogelio's sites (Manly Curls and Men's Hair Blog)

We are offering more and more content and information on hair management at our very own forum here, so stick around and ask whenever in need Cool

05-25-2013, 03:51 AM
Yes, it's about really adapting ur hair care and grooming to your hair. The Men's Hair book talks a lot about that and personally it has revolutionized the men's hair field. Im not the only one who agrees that book will give you true wisdom and knowledge you won't get by reading spam websites and asking your hairdresser. But rogelio is another mod in this forum which means we can all bug him with hair care questions Big Grin

A bit offtopic but anyone notice how Justin Bieber has a bit of a lazy eye in this photograph? Big Grin

05-25-2013, 04:45 AM
I can say that discovering my actual hair type has helped me much in knowing my hair more. This Isez guide is about as good as it gets for starting to know your hair and I think its good we have a common guide for us to use and relate in this forum.
05-25-2013, 10:16 PM
(05-25-2013 04:45 AM)Toulalan Wrote:  I can say that discovering my actual hair type has helped me much in knowing my hair more. This Isez guide is about as good as it gets for starting to know your hair and I think its good we have a common guide for us to use and relate in this forum.

And which is why we've put it into a sticky thread Wink

Since you have the kinky hair type, did you find it easy to work out your hair type as it is sometimes tricky to differentiate between coiled and kinky?

05-26-2013, 03:49 PM
Good summary of my ISEZ hair-typing guide, by the way Admin. It's important to get in the distinctions correctly and the above look good.

The Curly Hair Book: Or How Men Can Now Rock Their Waves, Coils And Kinks (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)

The Men's Hair Book: A Male's Guide To Hair Care, Hair Styles, Hair Grooming, Hair Products and Rocking It All Without The Baloney (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)
05-26-2013, 10:00 PM
(05-26-2013 03:49 PM)Curly Hair Wrote:  Good summary of my ISEZ hair-typing guide, by the way Admin. It's important to get in the distinctions correctly and the above look good.

Yup. The hair length guide based on your book is coming soon as spoken too Cool

06-19-2013, 04:25 PM
guys I was reading the guide again, the ISEZ term doesnt come up very clear, perhaps put some more info in a paragraph?

Oldschool barber getting it on with the internet era.
06-20-2013, 07:52 PM
Point taken Barber. Ill speak with Rogelio and update.

08-11-2013, 12:08 AM
(05-14-2013 08:51 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  The shape of your hair can be put into a type, among other unique hair traits that men can have. The best hair type guide for men is the ISEZ hair type guide found in The Men's Hair Book, and it is the one that we use here in the forum.

There are essentially 4 hair types, which are based on the shape of your hair. You will have a predominant hair type on your scalp although sometimes you may have very small sections of the scalp with another hair type.

The shape of your hair will resemble an alphabetical letter; ergo the mnemonic ISEZ for this popular hair type method.

Hair types
  • Straight hair
  • Wavy hair
  • Coiled hair
  • Kinky hair

Note that there is no mention of curly hair because curly hair can cover a wide range of shapes that are hard to put into specific types and hence create a lot of confusion. According to the ISEZ hair type method, it is best to call "curly" a texture and not a hair type, and curly as a texture covers wavy hair, coiled hair and kinky hair. Straight hair is another hair texture, and it is referred to as a "non-curly" texture.

Hair textures
  • Non-curly (i.e. straight hair)
  • Curly (i.e. wavy hair, coiled hair, kinky hair)

How to find out your hair type

Inspect your hair in the mirror and try to come up with the specific shape of your hair. Compare the shape of your hair with the description of each hair type and the men that are referenced for each hair type. If your hair is shorter than half an inch, you may have problems finding out your hair type so either wait to grow your hair a bit longer or look at pictures of yourself with longer hair.

Straight hair

Straight hair grows without bending at all. The shape resembles an I.

Men with straight hair include Tom Cruise, Justin Bieber and Brad Pitt

[Image: tom-cruise.jpg]

[Image: 1336574416_brad-pitt-lg.jpg]

Wavy hair

Wavy hair bends as it grows, producing shapes that resemble an S.

Men with wavy hair include George Clooney, Adrian Grenier and Antonio Banderas

[Image: antonio_banderas.jpg]

[Image: george-clooney-02-435.jpg]

[Image: adrien_grenier.jpg]

Coiled hair

Coiled hair bends deeply as it grows, forming shapes like coils and ringlets. When looked in two dimensions, the coils resemble cursive E shapes.

Men with coiled hair include Justin Timberlake, John Turturro and Will Ferrell.

[Image: 470_2266614.0]

[Image: Justin-timberlake-young.jpg]

[Image: will-ferrell-2.jpg]

Kinky hair

Kinky hair forms as very tight coils, so tight that its difficult to see the definition of the locks from 3 feet away (this is the main difference between the coiled hair type and kinky hair type). To see the kinky locks, you'd have to get closer. Kinky hair strands form such tight kinks that they resemble Z shapes.

Men with kinky hair include Will Smith, Cuba Gooding Junior and Denzel Washington. Kinky hair is also known as afro-textured hair and even nappy hair.

[Image: cuba-gooding-jr-dec-2012-gi.jpg]

[Image: denzel_washington1_300_400.jpg]

[Image: Will-Smith-9542165-1-402.jpg]

I'm not sure about my hair type

The most common scenario for being uncertain about your hair type is when your hair is too short. Ideally, your hair should be longer than half an inch to find out its type, although you can simply look at past pictures of yourself with longer hair and then match your hair shape to the description of the hair types and the referenced men.

Conclusion

We recommend you in the forum to know your hair type so that you can customize any hair care or grooming you do. Most men's hair care is generic though there are some parts to it that differ between hair types.

References

You can find the ISEZ hair type guide in the book The Men's Hair Book; a whole chapter is dedicated to hair profiling, including the 4 hair types. This guide has been compiled consulting Rogelio (author of The Men's Hair Book).

Questions/Comments?

If you have any questions or want to post your pictures for reference, post them here.

Can I train my hair from shampoo and condition to get natural s curl type hair from a very short hair cut? I'm 17 black male with short kinky hair and want to grow my hair out and shampoo and condition it to bring out the natural curl in my hair, i really want to know if shampoo and conditioning hair will help train it to be curly when it grows out or if i should wait for it to grow longer? also like any tips for shampoo/conditioner to buy preferably something i can buy IN STORE and NOT online
08-13-2013, 08:59 AM
Hi TheAnswer285,

This is Rogelio, the original author of this guide (it's from my second book, The Men's Hair Book).

To answer your question, you cannot train your hair to be a certain curl type; this is a huge myth, and the use of the word "training" in hairdressing terms is used for something else.

Shampooing and conditioning, when done right, will bring out the best out of your curly hair, whatever it is programmed to be (which is decided by your DNA). For store hair products, simply grab any commercial shampoo and a conditioner that has the ingredient glycerin in it.

Best

10-17-2013, 09:06 AM
This is a really helpfull post thanks Smile
01-12-2014, 07:57 PM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2014 08:01 PM by briantwj.)
Hi guys, I've always think I have the wavy hair, until i saw this thread. My hair is a bit like Justin Bieber's in the picture above. Just that it is longer than his.

My hair is straight, but when I do not apply hair products on it. It appears to be a bit curly, which misconcepts me that I have wavy hairs. Undecided

Can't really show a photo of my hair due to the fact that I need 11 posts first.

Seems like I have straight hair afterall. Big Grin
03-20-2014, 06:51 AM
(01-12-2014 07:57 PM)briantwj Wrote:  Hi guys, I've always think I have the wavy hair, until i saw this thread. My hair is a bit like Justin Bieber's in the picture above. Just that it is longer than his.

My hair is straight, but when I do not apply hair products on it. It appears to be a bit curly, which misconcepts me that I have wavy hairs. Undecided

Can't really show a photo of my hair due to the fact that I need 11 posts first.

Seems like I have straight hair afterall. Big Grin

Yes I understand I have straight hair but mine does goes a bit wavy visually when not styled at all, won't help that I have very very dense hair (thick hair)
I did the ISEZ test to find my hairtype, it was very close to being wavy though
Top effort on the page as well guys Big Grin
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Mohawk hairstyle and haircut guide - How to and Pictures TheMensHairForum 16 24,249 07-31-2016 11:40 PM
Last Post: Kiddfresh
  2 Step Undercut Hairstyle: Official Haircut Guide with Pictures and How-To Advice Jurgen 6 112,415 07-21-2016 08:44 PM
Last Post: Dwight
  Middle Part Curtains Hairstyle Guide: How To Style, Pictures, Products and more TheMensHairForum 13 69,436 06-15-2016 03:04 PM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum
  Epic Styling Guide for Slicked Back Hair - How To, Pictures and Products TheMensHairForum 36 577,020 05-02-2016 05:30 PM
Last Post: Refrusloi