Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hair Oils?
08-14-2014, 10:13 PM
Hair Oils?
I've been reading that applying certain hair oils (mainly argan oil or coconut oil) helps your hair in many different ways. Are these really as good as people say, especially for men with short or medium hair? Also how exactly do you use these?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-15-2014, 09:55 AM
RE: Hair Oils?
I use a little olive oil but just on the tips. I read TMHF also recommending it and it works great for protecting my tips and keeping the hair healthy. However dont use the oils for hair styling or at least that has been my experience. I would use pomade or wax for styling and then add a little olive oil to the tips. Even with the pomade the hair remains good and not oily. I also use this trick when i am not wearing any other hair products so basically natural hair.

Maybe some others have used those oils for hair styling? in the mens hair book Rogelio mentions to use them more as sealing products, as in seal the moisture. So yeah for sealing the moisture and give more condition to the hair is great. For any styling... gets my hair too greasy.
08-17-2014, 09:17 PM
(08-15-2014 09:55 AM)Alex Wrote:  I use a little olive oil but just on the tips. I read TMHF also recommending it and it works great for protecting my tips and keeping the hair healthy. However dont use the oils for hair styling or at least that has been my experience. I would use pomade or wax for styling and then add a little olive oil to the tips. Even with the pomade the hair remains good and not oily. I also use this trick when i am not wearing any other hair products so basically natural hair.

Maybe some others have used those oils for hair styling? in the mens hair book Rogelio mentions to use them more as sealing products, as in seal the moisture. So yeah for sealing the moisture and give more condition to the hair is great. For any styling... gets my hair too greasy.

Thanks for the response. I meant oils more for hair health, I use a wax for hair styling. Have you noticed a big difference in hair health?
08-18-2014, 11:44 AM
(08-17-2014 09:17 PM)GoodHair Wrote:  Thanks for the response. I meant oils more for hair health, I use a wax for hair styling. Have you noticed a big difference in hair health?

Yes, olive oil is great for hair health. It protects the hair and it is great for the scalp (which is skin). However, you have to be really careful and only use a small amount of olive oil (like a fingertip for all the scalp). Always use extra virgin olive oil. A great source of high-quality extra virgin oil is THIS one here (comes as 2 bottles). You can use the olive oil in the link for cooking and food dressing purposes too! Smile

Argan oil also provides the same moisturizing benefits as olive oil, so go for it if you prefer it to olive oil. Just make sure to find a pure product if you only want the actual oil and not a product that has a blend of argan oil.

Coconut butter is also great for hair health; Like olive oil, coconut butter protects the hair and helps to seal the moisture into the hair strands, which results in bouncy and healthier looking locks. Try to get raw coconut butter that hasn't been processed (we usually recommend THIS one here which is both raw and organic). Just melt the butter between your hands (by rubbing your palms together) and then apply the melted butter (now an oil) to your damp hair.

The best way to benefit from oils is by ingesting them. Without a doubt, fish oil is the best type of oil to internally nourish the hair. Fish oil contains omega 3 fatty acids which work against inflammation (hair loss is believed to be caused by inflammation in part) and omega 3 is also awesome for skin health and for the product of sebum (from your sebaceous glands).

Even better than fish oil would be cod liver oil (cod is a fish, after all). Cod liver oil has huge amounts of vitamin A, which is a vitamin that is essential for skin health and follicle health. Fish oil doesn't contain vitamin A unless it is added to it, but I believe that the natural vitamin A in cod liver oil is better assimilated by the body than the added vitamin A in fish oil.

The only problem is that the taste of cod liver oil can't be tolerated by some people, so it's best to get gel capsules first. Another thing with both fish oil and cod liver oil is that you want to choose a brand that filters the oil as the oil may contain traces of mercury and toxins. Unfortunately, mankind has been polluting the ocean so much that fish nowadays may contain traces of stuff that you don't want in your body.

Lastly, if you're getting cod liver oil (which I highly recommend), make sure that you're getting a pure cod liver oil product. Some shady manufacturers will blend fish oil with cod liver oil to cut down on costs. Cod liver oil is more expensive, but it also contains a lot of nutrients not found in regular fish oil.

If you're interesting in cod liver oil, then one that I have used (I've used quite a few) is THIS one here. It's 100% cod liver oil from Norway and it has been filtered for any toxins, so it's a great cod liver oil to take for excellent hair health. If you have read The Men's Hair Book or The Curly Hair Book, Rogelio himself has written about the benefits of cod live roil and he even mentions in the book of the dramatic changes he experienced when using cod liver oil versus fish oil.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
08-20-2014, 07:02 PM
(08-18-2014 11:44 AM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  
(08-17-2014 09:17 PM)GoodHair Wrote:  Thanks for the response. I meant oils more for hair health, I use a wax for hair styling. Have you noticed a big difference in hair health?

Yes, olive oil is great for hair health. It protects the hair and it is great for the scalp (which is skin). However, you have to be really careful and only use a small amount of olive oil (like a fingertip for all the scalp). Always use extra virgin olive oil. A great source of high-quality extra virgin oil is THIS one here (comes as 2 bottles). You can use the olive oil in the link for cooking and food dressing purposes too! Smile

Argan oil also provides the same moisturizing benefits as olive oil, so go for it if you prefer it to olive oil. Just make sure to find a pure product if you only want the actual oil and not a product that has a blend of argan oil.

Coconut butter is also great for hair health; Like olive oil, coconut butter protects the hair and helps to seal the moisture into the hair strands, which results in bouncy and healthier looking locks. Try to get raw coconut butter that hasn't been processed (we usually recommend THIS one here which is both raw and organic). Just melt the butter between your hands (by rubbing your palms together) and then apply the melted butter (now an oil) to your damp hair.

The best way to benefit from oils is by ingesting them. Without a doubt, fish oil is the best type of oil to internally nourish the hair. Fish oil contains omega 3 fatty acids which work against inflammation (hair loss is believed to be caused by inflammation in part) and omega 3 is also awesome for skin health and for the product of sebum (from your sebaceous glands).

Even better than fish oil would be cod liver oil (cod is a fish, after all). Cod liver oil has huge amounts of vitamin A, which is a vitamin that is essential for skin health and follicle health. Fish oil doesn't contain vitamin A unless it is added to it, but I believe that the natural vitamin A in cod liver oil is better assimilated by the body than the added vitamin A in fish oil.

The only problem is that the taste of cod liver oil can't be tolerated by some people, so it's best to get gel capsules first. Another thing with both fish oil and cod liver oil is that you want to choose a brand that filters the oil as the oil may contain traces of mercury and toxins. Unfortunately, mankind has been polluting the ocean so much that fish nowadays may contain traces of stuff that you don't want in your body.

Lastly, if you're getting cod liver oil (which I highly recommend), make sure that you're getting a pure cod liver oil product. Some shady manufacturers will blend fish oil with cod liver oil to cut down on costs. Cod liver oil is more expensive, but it also contains a lot of nutrients not found in regular fish oil.

If you're interesting in cod liver oil, then one that I have used (I've used quite a few) is THIS one here. It's 100% cod liver oil from Norway and it has been filtered for any toxins, so it's a great cod liver oil to take for excellent hair health. If you have read The Men's Hair Book or The Curly Hair Book, Rogelio himself has written about the benefits of cod live roil and he even mentions in the book of the dramatic changes he experienced when using cod liver oil versus fish oil.

Thanks for the reply. So the best way to benefit from hair oils is by taking them as a supplement? How noticeable would it be if you were to directly apply it (argan oil) to your hair before bed a couple times a week? I'm thinking about actually doing both.
08-21-2014, 11:47 AM
Avoid applying oils to your hair before going to bed. Apply them in the morning if possible (if you shower in the morning). Even the smallest amounts of oil in your hair (other than your own sebum) can make a mess in your pillow and make a good sleep difficult. You should be going to bed with your hair dry and tied if long.

Yes, ingesting good oils is a must for great hair. Either fish oil or cod liver oil for your omega-3 fatty acids, which incidentally are also great oils for general health. Make sure though to get fish oil or cod liver oil supplements like the one I mentioned in the link in my previous post, as those supplements are filtered for any toxins that are "naturally" found in oily fish (and that you would ingest if eating the fish).

If instead of the cod liver oil supplement I link to above, you prefer fish oil, then get THIS fish oil supplement. It's a number 1 bestseller and is an awesome (and cheap) fish oil supplement. Buy 2 bottles, and you've got close to a one year's supply for a low price.

Fish oil or cod live roil is excellent for glossy hair, and it will make a difference. Give it 4 to 6 weeks though, and make sure that your hair care is on par. Another oil that's great for hair is extra virgin olive oil due to its high amount of monounsaturated oil and vitamin E, both these nutrients being excellent nutrients for skin health (remember, you scalp is skin and your follicles are part of the skin's structure!).

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
08-21-2014, 12:30 PM
(08-21-2014 11:47 AM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Avoid applying oils to your hair before going to bed. Apply them in the morning if possible (if you shower in the morning). Even the smallest amounts of oil in your hair (other than your own sebum) can make a mess in your pillow and make a good sleep difficult. You should be going to bed with your hair dry and tied if long.

Yes, ingesting good oils is a must for great hair. Either fish oil or cod liver oil for your omega-3 fatty acids, which incidentally are also great oils for general health. Make sure though to get fish oil or cod liver oil supplements like the one I mentioned in the link in my previous post, as those supplements are filtered for any toxins that are "naturally" found in oily fish (and that you would ingest if eating the fish).

If instead of the cod liver oil supplement I link to above, you prefer fish oil, then get THIS fish oil supplement. It's a number 1 bestseller and is an awesome (and cheap) fish oil supplement. Buy 2 bottles, and you've got close to a one year's supply for a low price.

Fish oil or cod live roil is excellent for glossy hair, and it will make a difference. Give it 4 to 6 weeks though, and make sure that your hair care is on par. Another oil that's great for hair is extra virgin olive oil due to its high amount of monounsaturated oil and vitamin E, both these nutrients being excellent nutrients for skin health (remember, you scalp is skin and your follicles are part of the skin's structure!).

Thanks for the great information, I'll definitely look into taking some type of fish supplement.
12-04-2014, 05:45 AM
(08-14-2014 10:13 PM)GoodHair Wrote:  I've been reading that applying certain hair oils (mainly argan oil or coconut oil) helps your hair in many different ways. Are these really as good as people say, especially for men with short or medium hair? Also how exactly do you use these?

I use Pro Naturals Moroccan Argan Oil. I recently re-ordered and I noticed that they have a new page on their website and if you hit the Advice button and scroll to the how to's it makes very interesting reading and might help you understand how it will work with your hair. HTH.
12-10-2014, 07:37 AM
I have been hearing of oregano oil for hair growth and scalp health, will update you if i know more of it. I posted a question in the other forum area for natural hair.
12-10-2014, 08:25 AM
(12-10-2014 07:37 AM)Alex Wrote:  I have been hearing of oregano oil for hair growth and scalp health, will update you if i know more of it. I posted a question in the other forum area for natural hair.

I posted my reply in your other thread about oregano oil. I'll post it below too for those of you interested in natural oils for your hair.

The herb oregano has historically been used for its health benefits and medicinal qualities. The oil of oregano is extracted from the dried flowers by a steam distillation process. Pure oregano oil is used in a variety of home remedies for issues such as indigestion, sore throats, sinus congestion and is now believed to encourage hair growth and help to battle hair loss (similar to how is also achieved by tea tree oil).

Hair Benefits:

Pure oregano oil addresses and eradicates scalp problems such as inflammation, dandruff and sweat. It is anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-microbial in nature. If you have very little strand fallout, along with good hygiene and maintenance practices, it is believed that your hair will be able to grow at an accelerated pace.

I have used oregano oil in the past and I did notice some benefits, including what looked like slightly faster-growing and stronger hair.

When to use:

Use weekly or bi-weekly as a part of hair and scalp cleansing regimen. If you are being challenged with hair loss, balding, dandruff, head lice, scabies or inflammation of the scalp, you may want to especially consider using pure oil of oregano.

How to use:

Create a topical hair/scalp rub for general maintenance to avoid hair loss and promote maximum scalp health. Mix with other oils, as pure, undiluted oregano oil can be a skin irritant. It is recommended that you dilute with carrier oil at a ratio of one to four. Add a few drops of pure oregano oil per tablespoon of shampoo to get rid of scalp infections or dandruff. If you are creating a topical ointment, you should use one ounce of pure oregano oil in four ounces of coconut oil on clean scalp.

Once hair has been washed and conditioned, part your hair row by row and massage oil mixture into scalp for best results. If your scalp is particularly sensitive, dilute mixture to a more comfortable ratio and rub in. If you desire, you may rinse entire head after 10 to 15 minutes, as the smell may be strong even after dilution.

Tips:

You may substitute coconut oil with any other nourishing carrier oil such as olive oil, sweet almond oil, jojoba oil or avocado oil.

You may also add ingredients such as pure aloe vera gel and/or vitamin E oil to your hair and scalp ointment for a super-enriched application for hair health.

Warnings:

Always follow the instructions on your particular bottle before applying topically or using in conjunction with other oils.

Avoid taking regularly during pregnancy, since oil of oregano is purported to reduce the body's ability to absorb iron. Consult your doctor at all times before taking anything new, even though oregano oil is a benign and health oil to use on your scalp.

You can get oregano oil very cheap from Amazon by the way. IN fact you can get other oils like coconut oil from Amazon at the lowest prices around too.
12-10-2014, 09:45 AM
(12-10-2014 08:25 AM)Sunset Wrote:  I posted my reply in your other thread about oregano oil. I'll post it below too for those of you interested in natural oils for your hair.

The herb oregano has historically been used for its health benefits and medicinal qualities. The oil of oregano is extracted from the dried flowers by a steam distillation process. Pure oregano oil is used in a variety of home remedies for issues such as indigestion, sore throats, sinus congestion and is now believed to encourage hair growth and help to battle hair loss (similar to how is also achieved by tea tree oil).

Hair Benefits:

Pure oregano oil addresses and eradicates scalp problems such as inflammation, dandruff and sweat. It is anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-microbial in nature. If you have very little strand fallout, along with good hygiene and maintenance practices, it is believed that your hair will be able to grow at an accelerated pace.

I have used oregano oil in the past and I did notice some benefits, including what looked like slightly faster-growing and stronger hair.

When to use:

Use weekly or bi-weekly as a part of hair and scalp cleansing regimen. If you are being challenged with hair loss, balding, dandruff, head lice, scabies or inflammation of the scalp, you may want to especially consider using pure oil of oregano.

How to use:

Create a topical hair/scalp rub for general maintenance to avoid hair loss and promote maximum scalp health. Mix with other oils, as pure, undiluted oregano oil can be a skin irritant. It is recommended that you dilute with carrier oil at a ratio of one to four. Add a few drops of pure oregano oil per tablespoon of shampoo to get rid of scalp infections or dandruff. If you are creating a topical ointment, you should use one ounce of pure oregano oil in four ounces of coconut oil on clean scalp.

Once hair has been washed and conditioned, part your hair row by row and massage oil mixture into scalp for best results. If your scalp is particularly sensitive, dilute mixture to a more comfortable ratio and rub in. If you desire, you may rinse entire head after 10 to 15 minutes, as the smell may be strong even after dilution.

Tips:

You may substitute coconut oil with any other nourishing carrier oil such as olive oil, sweet almond oil, jojoba oil or avocado oil.

You may also add ingredients such as pure aloe vera gel and/or vitamin E oil to your hair and scalp ointment for a super-enriched application for hair health.

Warnings:

Always follow the instructions on your particular bottle before applying topically or using in conjunction with other oils.

Avoid taking regularly during pregnancy, since oil of oregano is purported to reduce the body's ability to absorb iron. Consult your doctor at all times before taking anything new, even though oregano oil is a benign and health oil to use on your scalp.

You can get oregano oil very cheap from Amazon by the way. IN fact you can get other oils like coconut oil from Amazon at the lowest prices around too.

Any good sources for oregano oil?
12-22-2014, 02:34 PM (This post was last modified: 12-22-2014 02:34 PM by AfroJay.)
(12-10-2014 09:45 AM)Robert Wrote:  
(12-10-2014 08:25 AM)Sunset Wrote:  I posted my reply in your other thread about oregano oil. I'll post it below too for those of you interested in natural oils for your hair.

Hair Benefits:

When to use:

How to use:

Tips:

Warnings:

Any good sources for oregano oil?

YEAH BUMPING THIS UP FOR OREGANO OIL SOURCES, hear this type of hair oil is good stuff
12-24-2014, 08:35 PM
Tried a honey, coconut oil remedy today on my hair and after my shower my hair felt amazing
01-05-2015, 10:39 PM
I use loreal hair oil to tame my thick hair
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------