Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Hair Loss types: Telogen effluvium, Androgenetic alopecia and Alopecia areata
12-11-2014, 11:46 AM
Hair Loss types: Telogen effluvium, Androgenetic alopecia and Alopecia areata
I wanted to start this discussion to talk about the main types of hair loss. These balding types are Telogen effluvium, Androgenetic alopecia and Alopecia areata. It's true that in this forum, the main topic is the one male pattern baldness but the other two hair loss types do also affect men so I think covering them would be beneficial for the forum.

There are numerous potential reasons for the loss of hair. It can be a daunting task to pinpoint the specific condition that afflicts someone. Nonetheless, there are three primarily types of hair loss. I'll go through each below.

Telogen effluvium:

Telogen effluvium, also recognized as 'diffuse hair loss', involves a thinning of hair across the entire scalp. What occurs is that the hair follicles on the head enter into a state of rest, also known as telogen. After approximately 3 months, they awaken and begin to grow again. All the old hair gets forced out, resulting in 'diffuse hair shredding'. Telogen effluvium can occur from malnutrition, an imbalance of hormones, and extreme and prolonged stress. Thankfully, this condition corrects itself and is not a reason for extreme concern.

Androgenetic alopecia:

Androgenetic alopecia, also known as male-pattern baldness, is characterized by a well defined pattern of thinning hair. The hair follicles around the center of the scalp begin shrinking. Eventually, they completely stop growing.

Although Androgenic alopecia does not cause complete baldness, it does usually leave a characteristic 'M' shape of thinned hair on the top of the head. One can delay the onset of Androgenetic alopecia, women included, by maintaining a healthy set of hair. This means washing it thoroughly frequently with a high-quality shampoo and using topical products containing minoxidil like Rogaine. Androgenetic alopecia is believed to be related to certain hormones known as androgens. More detail on their cause is yet unknown although there is a belief that inflammation is also a factor in male hair loss. It can be surmised though that Androgenetic alopecia is influenced by genetics, and the rest are factors that augment the problem.

Alopecia areata:

Alopecia areata, considered the worst of all hair disorders, has the potential to leave one entirely hairless. Known as spot baldness, Alopecia areata typically begins as a round, bald patch on the scalp. As more spots break out on the head, hair from the rest of the body begins thinning out as well. The good news is that the hair follicles beneath the skin still remain intact, thereby allowing the chance for them to maybe grew again in the future. Scientists believe that Alopecia areata is in fact an autoimmune disorder that can be triggered by a severe bout of viral or bacterial illness. Nothing can be done to stop it.

Traction alopecia:

Ok so I am including this fourth type of hair loss known as traction alopecia, which is not caused by the body itself, but instead it is caused by one's actions on his hair, so traction alopecia isn't true alopecia caused by the body's natural processes, but it's still worth mentioning this type of baldness. Traction alopecia occurs from pulling the hair either too hard or for long periods of time. Here in the forum, there are countless examples of traction alopecia and even of famous people, including the traction alopecia of soccer player Gervinho and Snoop Dogg. The most common cause of traction alopecia is pulling too tight with braids, cornrows, tied hairstyles (like man buns) and headbands.

In summary, people say that one's hair is a gauge of his or her health. Vigorous hair is oftentimes intimately linked to the general well-being of the whole body. Any change in one's hair, no matter how minute, should be recognized as a forewarning of a much more ominous physical ailment. In fact, anybody experiencing extreme and inexplicable loss of hair should immediately seek a consultation with his or her medical doctor as dramatic hair loss is usually a symptom of something serious.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-20-2015, 03:04 PM
Thumbs Up Great hair loss types guide!
This is an excellent classification of the hair loss types in men. Great post, Sunset!

Other than androgenetic alopecia (aka male pattern baldness or MPB), the rest of hair loss types are fairly unknown to men. While telogen effluvium and alopecia areata could be said to be unavoidable, traction alopecia certain is avoidable.

It's very important to take care of your follicles as a male. Once a follicle is damaged, it's like scarring of the skin, and it may affect (for the worse) the development of new hair material. I'm saying this because some of the newer trendy men's hairstyles like the man bun or top knot can place unnecessary stress on the hair follicles. Make sure to always release tension from the hair when tying your hair or if slicking your hair back too tight and hard.

The follicles of your forehead's hairline are extremely sensitive to stress so be careful. Working in fashion, I get to see lots of guys pulling their hair extremely hard so as to be able to tie a trivial topknot. This is counterproductive to the health of your hair over the long term. Is it better to wear a very-tight trendy hairstyle now and have a damaged hairline in 10 years time, or is it better to go easy on looking dapper every single day and still have a lustrous mane in 10 years time?

Sunset's post above is a must read for any male wanting to be ahead of these hair loss conditioners, so I'm bumping it up again so more forum members read it as a form of public announcement Smile

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Is this hair loss? AwesomeHair 0 292 09-11-2016 05:31 AM
Last Post: AwesomeHair
  Has my topknot caused hair loss? -KANE- 0 335 08-18-2016 11:14 AM
Last Post: -KANE-
  Natural alternative solutions for treating hair loss alexdeen75 1 404 07-23-2016 11:29 PM
Last Post: Reborn Hair PPP
  Hair Loss Products for Men OTC TheMensHairForum 35 26,480 05-18-2016 03:16 PM
Last Post: williadl