Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Hair Loss Quick Diagnosis: 60-second hair count test
05-24-2013, 08:59 PM
Hair Loss Quick Diagnosis: 60-second hair count test
Gentlemen,

Male pattern baldness is quite unpredictable and can occur fast; thus, it is imperative to keep an eye out on your scalp if you want to catch it fast.

There is some good evidence that the amount of shed hairs when performing a particular test can point to male pattern baldness or not. This test is called the 60-second hair count and it was initially researched by Carina, A Wasko et al from the Baylor College of Medicine back in 2008. The study is posted at the JAMA and Archives Journals.

How to do the 60-second hair count test:
- Shampoo your hair during 3 consecutive days.
- On the fourth day, wake up, go to the bathroom and grab a comb.
- Bend your hair forward towards the sink
- Now brush the hair on the top of hour head forward for 60 seconds. Simply run the hair as if combing from the crown to the forehead. Do as many times as required for the 60-second count.
- Count the hair strands that have fallen on the sink.

According to research, a good average is 10 hair strands shed. Any amount higher than 10 shed hair strands could be of concern.

The study was supposedly done on men with no signs of baldness. However some participants recorded up to 40+ shed hair strands, which means that either the 10 shed hair strands rule is not really reliable OR that those who experienced such high number of shed hair strands were genuinely going bald.

Give the 60-second hair count a try and post your numbers in this thread. Let's see what we can come up with. If you have blonde hair, I suggest you do this test with something for the shed hairs that is of a darker colour since the white colour of the sink may conceal the shed hair strands.

Lastly, ensure that you are not pulling on your hair hard. Those men with curly hair should do the 60-second hair count test with a wide-tooth comb and run the comb slowly.

Come, post your hair count!

Author of the two bestselling hair-care books:

The Curly Hair Book: Or How Men Can Now Rock Their Waves, Coils And Kinks (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)

The Men's Hair Book: A Male's Guide To Hair Care, Hair Styles, Hair Grooming, Hair Products and Rocking It All Without The Baloney (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-24-2013, 09:02 PM
RE: Hair Loss Quick Diagnosis: 60-second hair count test
By the way, I routinely do this test every 3 months. My last test was 3 weeks ago and my result for the 60-second hair count test was 6 shed hair strands. I have been as high as 9 shed hair strands and as low as 4 shed hair strands. Incidentally, the highest number was about a year ago and the lowest numbers attained were in the last 2 tests (4 and 5 shed hair strands) before this last one in which I had 6 shed hair strands.

The Curly Hair Book: Or How Men Can Now Rock Their Waves, Coils And Kinks (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)

The Men's Hair Book: A Male's Guide To Hair Care, Hair Styles, Hair Grooming, Hair Products and Rocking It All Without The Baloney (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)
05-24-2013, 09:21 PM
Damn this test is awesome for tracking mph. I was curious and I just did it, I got 14 hair strands. I have been shampooing on and off though, would shampooing three days in a row and then do the test matter at all? I dont have any visible signs of hair loss.
Please Rogelio tell me as I'm a bit worried now Huh

(05-24-2013 08:59 PM)Curly Hair Wrote:  Gentlemen,

Male pattern baldness is quite unpredictable and can occur fast; thus, it is imperative to keep an eye out on your scalp if you want to catch it fast.

There is some good evidence that the amount of shed hairs when performing a particular test can point to male pattern baldness or not. This test is called the 60-second hair count and it was initially researched by Carina, A Wasko et al from the Baylor College of Medicine back in 2008. The study is posted at the JAMA and Archives Journals.

How to do the 60-second hair count test:
- Shampoo your hair during 3 consecutive days.
- On the fourth day, wake up, go to the bathroom and grab a comb.
- Bend your hair forward towards the sink
- Now brush the hair on the top of hour head forward for 60 seconds. Simply run the hair as if combing from the crown to the forehead. Do as many times as required for the 60-second count.
- Count the hair strands that have fallen on the sink.

According to research, a good average is 10 hair strands shed. Any amount higher than 10 shed hair strands could be of concern.

The study was supposedly done on men with no signs of baldness. However some participants recorded up to 40+ shed hair strands, which means that either the 10 shed hair strands rule is not really reliable OR that those who experienced such high number of shed hair strands were genuinely going bald.

Give the 60-second hair count a try and post your numbers in this thread. Let's see what we can come up with. If you have blonde hair, I suggest you do this test with something for the shed hairs that is of a darker colour since the white colour of the sink may conceal the shed hair strands.

Lastly, ensure that you are not pulling on your hair hard. Those men with curly hair should do the 60-second hair count test with a wide-tooth comb and run the comb slowly.

Come, post your hair count!
05-24-2013, 09:28 PM
(05-24-2013 09:21 PM)Robert Wrote:  Damn this test is awesome for tracking mph. I was curious and I just did it, I got 14 hair strands. I have been shampooing on and off though, would shampooing three days in a row and then do the test matter at all? I dont have any visible signs of hair loss.
Please Rogelio tell me as I'm a bit worried now Huh

Robert,

Don't worry about it. It is important to shampoo the hair for 3 consecutive days because the shampoo removes any shed hairs that are trapped in the unshed hair. Then, after the 3 days shampooing, you wake up on the 4th day and do the 60-second test immediately upon waking up.

Follow the 3-day period of shampooing prior to doing the test. Then, get back to me in this thread with your result. I'm positive your hair count for the 60-second test will be lower. Trust me.

05-25-2013, 03:53 AM
Oh dude, more stuff to worry about now?? haha Ok, I have to now wait 4 anxious days to know the diagnosis.
05-25-2013, 04:32 AM
That's a great explanation of the 60 second hair count test Rogelio, much thanked. Perhaps it would be interesting to get the full paper and see what was the mode distribution like. I read the scientific article you pmed me and it is not clear as to where the 10 hair strands count was arrived at.

At least the researchers ensured to minimize any external variables, and I have a feeling anything over 20 hair strands shed during 60 seconds of combing forward is not good news.

I will try the test next week and report back!

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
05-25-2013, 09:40 PM
I'm jumping on this. Will do the 60 seconds hair test on Wednesday and post it if it isn't too bad.
05-26-2013, 08:39 PM
damn, just did this hair count test and the result is not good Sad
05-26-2013, 09:37 PM
(05-26-2013 08:39 PM)Vladimir Wrote:  damn, just did this hair count test and the result is not good Sad

Vladimir, I dont think you have done it right as it hasn't been three days since Curly Hair posted the test and you need to give three full days of shampooing and then test on the fourth day when you wake up.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
05-26-2013, 11:53 PM
Like Curly Hair specified, you must shampoo your hair on three consecutive days and then do the test count on the fourth day, if not your test result will be incorrect.

Oldschool barber getting it on with the internet era.
06-02-2013, 10:31 PM
Ok gentlemen, so what were your 60 second count hair loss results...

I tried mine: 12 hairs shed in 60 seconds. I have plenty of hair and balding doesn't run in the family. I follow Curly Hair's theory that the mark of 10 shed hairs is too abstract so I'm not frighten by having 2 more shed hairs Smile Come on, let us know your results!

06-03-2013, 03:11 PM
Well that wasnt so bad for me in the end, my result for the 60 second hair count was nine shed hairs Smile
06-04-2013, 06:21 PM
I did it some days ago when I saw it posted in the forum: 6 hairs for moi!
06-05-2013, 01:31 PM
On my second day of no shampoo to do this test will let everyone know of my result Big Grin
06-09-2013, 04:47 PM
ok so I did the test as Rogelio told me, now I only got eight hairs out so really happy as it lifted a weight off my shoulders. Theres some MPB on both my family lines so kinda paranoid about it.
06-12-2013, 01:49 PM
Only 8 hairs!
06-13-2013, 06:36 PM
Starting on day 1 will report back
12-23-2013, 05:54 AM
Phew, got 8 hairs. ^^'
I was getting scared because I noticed less hair at the temples, eyebrows and I could see more scalp at the front but it probably was because I had really dry skin in certain parts, kinda scaly and similar with dandruff but thicker and bigger, so I kept scratching it and peeling it off to remove it and some hair follicles probably got ripped out as well.
Thankfully it's growing back! Big Grin
11-12-2014, 02:57 AM
I think im going to try this , Have been worrying alot about a receding hairline and the front of my hair has become less dense as well so im not expecting good results , If you do get quite alot over the 10 mark does that mean you are defiantly losing hair or could there be other factors? , Anyway ill post back in a few days when its done.
11-15-2014, 04:22 AM
(11-12-2014 02:57 AM)Jonny Wrote:  I think im going to try this , Have been worrying alot about a receding hairline and the front of my hair has become less dense as well so im not expecting good results , If you do get quite alot over the 10 mark does that mean you are defiantly losing hair or could there be other factors? , Anyway ill post back in a few days when its done.

Ok so ive just done this and i got 13 hair strands , So what do you guys think , Should i be worried and what should i do from here? (If anything?)
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Is this hair loss? AwesomeHair 0 426 09-11-2016 05:31 AM
Last Post: AwesomeHair
  Has my topknot caused hair loss? -KANE- 0 393 08-18-2016 11:14 AM
Last Post: -KANE-
  Hair weave vs hair transplant, best hairloss solution? SUMITAMIT 0 385 08-16-2016 08:32 AM
Last Post: SUMITAMIT
  Natural alternative solutions for treating hair loss alexdeen75 1 468 07-23-2016 11:29 PM
Last Post: Reborn Hair PPP