Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Hair Loss Products for Men OTC
06-25-2013, 05:26 PM
Hair Loss Products for Men OTC
Mods and I agreed to cover the hair loss products for men that are available OTC and that have some data proving they work. For prescription hair loss medications see a doctor as those meds are serious stuff such as Propecia and generic finasteride.

Minoxidil aka Rogaine

This is the best OTC hair loss product around. Almost side effect free. Best to use as foam or topical liquid. Rogaine is the brand but minoxidil can be bought under other brands.

Ketoconazole

Ketoconazole is an antifungal that is applied to the skin in a shampoo usually. Greats work as a daily combo with minoxidil, you shampoo with the Ketoconazole shampoo then dry the hair and apply the minoxidil.

Salicylic acid

This is an exfoliating ingredient, salicylic acid has anecdotal evidence that it helps enhance the minoxidil and other hair loss ingredients as it cleans the scalp fully.

Hair loss shampoos

They usually contain different amounts of ketoconazole, salicylic acid, tea tree oil and other ingredients with some evidence to treat hair loss.

Hair loss treatments

These treatments are OTC and have more concentrated amounts of minoxidil and/or other potent ingredients that can only be delivered as a treatment like drops and vials. Vitamins such as biotin are usually included. Hair loss treatments are usually experimental and not always work. They should be used either as your last resource before going on prescription hair loss medications or together with them and/or together with other OTC hair loss products.

Questions? experiences? post them here..Smile

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-25-2013, 05:55 PM
RE: Hair Loss Producs for Men OTC
oh Im paging this thread to my brother in law!! Big Grin
06-25-2013, 07:04 PM
Is it possible to provide some example branded products for each?
Haven't logged in for a while and you will essentially be making my day with this thread.
06-25-2013, 09:52 PM
RE: Hair Loss Products for Men OTC
Sure Vladimir, these are some of the products I have been tracking for some time:

Minoxidil

Rogaine minoxidil foam, 6 months (for United States visitors)

By the way, if you are an international visitor of this forum (so from outside the United States), we have found a good supplier on Amazon USA (for Rogaine foam) that will be cheaper than ordering directly from the UK itself or other countries (this is the supplier on Amazon) Each pack from this Amazon supplier is a 4 month supply, so buy at least 2 packs (8 months supply) if you are starting out with Rogaine.

Simply Right minoxidil, 4 months supply
Kirkland minoxidil, 12 month supply

Ketoconazole

Nizoral shampoo

Salicylic acid

DCL shampoo
Neutrogena shampoo

Hair loss shampoos

Nioxin shampoo
Pura d'or natural shampoo
Ultrax caffeine shampoo

Hair loss treatments

Kerastase treatment
Rene Furterer system

The above hair loss products are from good sources and if you want to buy one go with the info from the first post and ask away in this thread if need be Smile

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
07-02-2013, 07:28 PM
while im not going bald (crossing my fingers as i type), i have email this thread to a couple of friends who will make some good use of it.
07-05-2013, 04:13 PM
minoxidil rocks, just saying.

Oldschool barber getting it on with the internet era.
07-29-2013, 10:00 PM
Admin i updated my case after using Rogaine from your list above for almost one month!
http://www.menshairforum.com/talk/Thread...treatments
08-10-2013, 10:26 AM
This thread has been informative to say the least. I was wondering if there was any truth to the claims people have made stating when they discontinued use of certain treatments their hair began to fall out?
08-10-2013, 11:15 AM
Hi HairNoob, welcome to the community!

Yes, if you stop using the hair loss products, the hair loss will resume. Even with Rogaine which is the product that contains minoxidil, any hair that grows back will fall off and hair loss continue. Unfortunately there no cures for male pattern baldness but catching early (Norwood I to III) can work wonders to maintain the hair remaining on top.

08-20-2013, 06:19 AM
I'm 19 and noticed that hair on my temple is rapidly receding! Is rogaine extra strength right for me? I'm desperate to gain back hair!!
08-20-2013, 03:54 PM
Hello BaggieBoy welcome to the forum! The Rogaine quoted in my initial post is good enough for your case. This is the one

(06-25-2013 09:52 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Sure Vladimir, these are some of the products I have been tracking for some time:

Minoxidil

Minoxidil foam, 6 months

On the other hand, if you want the extra strength Rogaine (a bit higher concentration), then go for this extra strength Rogaine (it's 5% minoxidil concentration). Rogaine/Minoxidil works best for vertex thinning but it works good on temples too and can help you avoid vertex thinning/more balding. I suggest you use a hair loss shampoo such as the ketoconazole one aka Nizoral shampoo to enhance your hair loss regimen as the Rogaine and the Nizoral complement each other.

08-28-2013, 08:53 PM
Currently thinking I am losing hair. Well, on one side of my head. I wanted to post up a thread about my hair problem. From my left eyebrow all the way to the end of the right side of my head has perfect thick hair. Whereas my left eyebrow all the way to the end of my left, doesn't. It's been getting weirder and weirder the last couple years. It bugged me so bad, I shaved my head, thinking it my grow back normally. Nope, it's still weird. That side of hair is incredibly thin, and getting worse. Any suggestions?
08-30-2013, 02:06 PM
Sorry Radiance what do u mean? are you talking about your eyebrows or the temples?
the temples is the area of the forehead above the "ends" of the eyebrows, you talking about that area? the temples is very common to start receding and thinning. Rogaine + any of the hair loss shampoos mentioned in this thread will help stop the progression of the hair loss Smile
09-03-2013, 05:43 PM
(08-30-2013 02:06 PM)Jurgen Wrote:  Sorry Radiance what do u mean? are you talking about your eyebrows or the temples?
the temples is the area of the forehead above the "ends" of the eyebrows, you talking about that area? the temples is very common to start receding and thinning. Rogaine + any of the hair loss shampoos mentioned in this thread will help stop the progression of the hair loss Smile

I mean my actual head of hair. Just the left side seems to be thinning out whereas the right side of my hair is thick-er.
09-04-2013, 07:01 PM
Radiancy, that is not androgenic alopecia aka male pattern baldness as such always follows a symmetric or almost symmetric pattern.

If your hair loss or thinning is much more manifested on one of the sides of your head, then go see a doctor as you could be malnourished in some specific mineral or vitamin or have some health disorder. Jurgen was asking about the eyebrow thing as thinning of the eyebrows from the exterior side is a hypothyroid sign. The again the thinning could be from having pulled your hair bad during sleep but it's best you go to the doctor and mention your problem.

09-11-2013, 07:59 PM (This post was last modified: 09-11-2013 08:04 PM by Radiancy.)
(09-04-2013 07:01 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Radiancy, that is not androgenic alopecia aka male pattern baldness as such always follows a symmetric or almost symmetric pattern.

If your hair loss or thinning is much more manifested on one of the sides of your head, then go see a doctor as you could be malnourished in some specific mineral or vitamin or have some health disorder. Jurgen was asking about the eyebrow thing as thinning of the eyebrows from the exterior side is a hypothyroid sign. The again the thinning could be from having pulled your hair bad during sleep but it's best you go to the doctor and mention your problem.

Here's a couple pictures:

normally:
[Image: IMG_1611.jpg]

When I push it down:
[Image: IMG_1612.jpg]

Tell me what you think. I forgot to mention, I straightened my hair for a long time when I was 13-16, then when I cut it all off. One day I was on like four drugs, and decided to thin out my hair. My hair dresser said it was probably from straightening with out protection for so many years
09-12-2013, 02:05 PM
mate, i'm not one of the experts in this forum, just a barber student, but I can say from this photo of yours below that you have a great hairline! your saying you are thinning in the left temple? i cant see anything to be honest, can you post more photos from you from the side and also with the hair pull back?

[Image: IMG_1611.jpg?t=1378954533]

Just saying the folks here dont like posting personal stuff on others thread, you will have to start your own thread.
Cheers
09-12-2013, 07:01 PM
(09-11-2013 07:59 PM)Radiancy Wrote:  
(09-04-2013 07:01 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Radiancy, that is not androgenic alopecia aka male pattern baldness as such always follows a symmetric or almost symmetric pattern.

Here's a couple pictures:

Tell me what you think. I forgot to mention, I straightened my hair for a long time when I was 13-16, then when I cut it all off. One day I was on like four drugs, and decided to thin out my hair. My hair dresser said it was probably from straightening with out protection for so many years

Radiancy, please do not derail the thread with questions unrelated to the topic of this thread. If you want to ask specific questions about the OTC products for hair loss, you can do so here. However if you want to ask questions relating to your particular hair loss case, then start a new thread with your questions.

12-11-2013, 01:20 AM
STOP HAIR LOSS TREATMENT #77 RE: Hair Loss Producs for Men OTC
Hello all,

I'm a new member here and I can relate to hair loss in so many ways. I started losing my hair at 27. This video that I'm about to show you is a product that I recently discovered in Canada. I have a Youtube video link in this post that describes the product that is restoring my hair to a certain thickness that I never thought would be seen again. It's not perfect, but this is just my experience though.

Thank you, gentlemen.
07-15-2014, 07:55 PM
I'm only 16 but if I use something like rogaine will I keep my hairline?-
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Is this hair loss? AwesomeHair 0 435 09-11-2016 05:31 AM
Last Post: AwesomeHair
  Has my topknot caused hair loss? -KANE- 0 394 08-18-2016 11:14 AM
Last Post: -KANE-
  Natural alternative solutions for treating hair loss alexdeen75 1 471 07-23-2016 11:29 PM
Last Post: Reborn Hair PPP
  What are my options now my hair loss is becoming so noticeable? hatemyhair 1 1,599 05-07-2016 10:31 PM
Last Post: kb523