Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hair Loss - Long Hair
02-07-2017, 10:31 AM
Hair Loss - Long Hair
Hi everyone.

The last 2 months or so, I've been noticing a much higher shed than normal. I have shoulder length, very thick hair (slightly wavy). I went to a (free) trichologist and she immediately said she saw thinning and the presence of DHT under a microscope. She suggested very expensive laser treatment and a saw palmino supplement. She also said the MPB is aggressive due to stress.

This broke me - I will be the first man in my family to go bald. I went to the GP the following day to do a proper test - he said he can see no evidence of thinning and that I shouldn't shed as much as I am and as quickly as I am with MPB - it's a much more gradual process. He took bloods to check my thyroid and testosterone.

I still can't get her diagnosis out of my head though. I'm counting and inspecting every hair that falls - they tend to be thinner and lighter than my other strands and I am convinced I can see thinning - although the GP and friends and family disagree.

The GP says his money is on stress - and that he is sure my bloods will come back fine.

On a side note - I have OCD which is being managed through a psychologist - so I do have a tendency to stress.

This whole process is triggering my OCD in a bad way - and I've been tempted to shave my head clean - but my support system is making me keep it until we have more information.

Can you diagnose MPB from a scope like the trichologist did? If not, will the blood tests give accurate results? I feel like I could have the GP confirm that it's just stress and I still won't believe him.

On average I lose between 100 - 150 hairs a day, of which I would say 50% are thin strands and 50% are thick strands. My head has been itching too - but the psychologist thinks that is a result of my focusing so much attention on it.

This is killing me Sad Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-08-2017, 09:37 PM
RE: Hair Loss - Long Hair
The more you stress the worse it will be so focus on things that make you happy in life.

Secondly adapt to your problems i.e. styles that hide or go with a receeding hairline.

Now make sure you get the right vitamins. Massage your scalp in the shower. Use coconut oil and argon oil and massage it all over and leave in over night.

Look to shampoos aimed at your problem. There are also medical treatments for this so speak to professionals.

Can you post pics?
02-09-2017, 09:58 PM
How do I post a pic? Can I just link it or is there somewhere to e-mail/upload.
02-10-2017, 09:22 AM
Bloods came back normal - including DHT levels. My hairline hasn't receded at all (I checked with photos) The hair in front of my crown just seems thinner and a lot of the hair that falls out has a thinner strand width and is lighter (although it is long +\- 3-6 inches) so I am not sure if it's miniaturizing hair or if I just have varying strand widths.
02-26-2017, 03:05 PM
(02-10-2017 09:22 AM)kysp88 Wrote:  Bloods came back normal - including DHT levels. My hairline hasn't receded at all (I checked with photos) The hair in front of my crown just seems thinner and a lot of the hair that falls out has a thinner strand width and is lighter (although it is long +\- 3-6 inches) so I am not sure if it's miniaturizing hair or if I just have varying strand widths.

i think i have the same problem as you but i noticed my temples are having less hair and my scalp gets itchy at times...
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Hair thinner after using Flat Iron on damp hair FlatIronDamage 0 74 09-25-2017 08:43 AM
Last Post: FlatIronDamage
  Is this hair loss? AwesomeHair 3 1,478 09-23-2017 01:04 AM
Last Post: ishaverma
  After how long did you notice hair loss Adam1231 0 352 05-08-2017 06:15 AM
Last Post: Adam1231
  Advice on determining hair loss ChrisB 0 411 03-16-2017 04:18 PM
Last Post: ChrisB