Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hair Length and Strand Thickness Issue as Hair Grows Long?
04-18-2015, 05:42 AM
Hair Length and Strand Thickness Issue as Hair Grows Long?
The other day I was wondering, when your hair becomes longer, does it also have the illusion of feeling thinner? I ask this because as I'm growing my hair out, I have noticed that if I run my hands through the hair on the top of my head, it feels smoother/thinner than the hair on the back of my head. It got me pretty concerned as I usually get told I have pretty thick and dense hair. The hair on the top of my head is probably about 5 inches long whereas my sides and back are probably 2 inches in length. Is this something I should be concerned about, or is this due to the longer hair? Could it also be due to the styling/shampoo/conditioner? I usually have mousse and wax in my hair, and I usually blow dry it. Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-11-2015, 10:11 AM
RE: Hair Length and Thickness
Hi yes, with long hair it does give the illusion of having thinner hair than if you have your hair short. It's just an illusion tho and your follicles keep producing the same amount of extra hair blocks and adding them to your current strands to produce the extra hair growth. Well unless someone is balding and has male pattern baldness then the hair strands become thinner.

It's nothing to worry about. Also when your hair is short it gives the brush effect where it doesn't bend as much as longer hair does. So since the hair stands vertical with no bending you assume that the hair must be thicker than the longer hair. It's just that as hair grows longer it loses that ability to remain erect as it gets too heavy and there's more distance for the hair to bend which doesn't exist with short hair much less with hair that is only two inches long.

Cheers!
05-20-2015, 11:23 PM
RE: Hair Length and Strand Thickness Issue as Hair Grows Long?
Agree with Bradley, yes this illusion of hair thinning because you have long hairs at your head top. But one thing you should also remember that the excessive use of hair styling products like, wax, mousse, blow drying etc. can cause hair damages.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How to use hair trimmer for a hair thinning haircut? Lorenn 3 1,442 06-02-2016 02:35 PM
Last Post: claus
  Long hair styles Thelonghair 1 791 03-03-2016 09:59 AM
Last Post: Doworkgetbig
  Aye hair length question BiggieB 2 416 02-20-2016 05:39 PM
Last Post: JonSnow1
  Differences Between Thick Hair and Thin Hair? GoodHair 10 30,229 12-18-2015 08:30 AM
Last Post: Fantast1c