Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hair Accessories During Awkward Phase
06-10-2013, 02:54 PM
Hair Accessories During Awkward Phase
Hey guys. I'm currently growing my hair out and I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for accessories that can help manage the awkward phase. I'm about a type III on Rogelio's scale, so it gets really poofy around two inches or so.

I'm thinking bandanas, headbands, and maybe a beanie? Any other ideas?

Cheers.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-11-2013, 06:03 AM
RE: Hair Accessories During Awkward Phase
I think a do-rag would be a good option too Mickey. You can use the do-rag when you don't feel like putting your hair into a style and the do-rag protects your hair etc. Also maybe a headband can help to pull the curls back although I think Rogelio mentions not to use headbands when the hair is short as in less than two inches long.

Bandanas are like do-rags but bandanas are looser and have more style options. I think they are a good option too so consider depending on the day a bandana, do-rag and if the hair a bit longer a headband too. Rogelio posts in this forum so maybe wait for his response too as he is also a Type III and grown his hair many times.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
06-12-2013, 03:46 AM
Hi Mickey,

If your hair is still short and you're growing it out, the hair accessories that suit the most are bandanas and dorags. Personally, the hair is too short for a headband; I'd leave the headband for when your hair is about 4 inches long and has enough of a visible length.

Dorags can be worn on windy days, for example, to protect your curly hair whereas bandanas have a more cosmetic effect and have a wider variety. You'll notice at the 4-inch length mark that your curly hair will really be hitting the awkward phase hard and then the use of headbands will be very useful.

Let know if you have any Qs.

Best

Author of the two bestselling hair-care books:

The Curly Hair Book: Or How Men Can Now Rock Their Waves, Coils And Kinks (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)

The Men's Hair Book: A Male's Guide To Hair Care, Hair Styles, Hair Grooming, Hair Products and Rocking It All Without The Baloney (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)
06-12-2013, 07:00 AM
Thanks, guys. I bought a handful of bandanas to use as general cover-ups. Knock on wood for me; gonna be a long six months, haha.
06-12-2013, 01:16 PM
Mickey i use do rags but my hair is more on the kinky (type V i think) side, i've grown my hair out wearing the do rag on most days as a protecting style
Just my two cents cos i know choosing accessories when the curls are growing can be a real pain.
04-14-2014, 04:28 PM
so what hair accessories u folks recommend for black men growing their afro? soz if a bit off topic
04-15-2014, 01:09 PM
(04-14-2014 04:28 PM)Toulalan Wrote:  so what hair accessories u folks recommend for black men growing their afro? soz if a bit off topic

A do-rag, hair elastics, headbands and an afro pick. In fact these hair accessories are equally useful for men with other curl types like wavy and coiled curly.

For the do-rag I recommend this particular do-rag as it is tight fitting but also smooth on the hair. Simply wear it whenever you don't want to be wearing out your growing Afro and would rather have the Afro neatly set and protected (by the dorag).

For the hair elastics to tie your hair and protect it, I recommend this set of 36 hair elastics (they're metal free too so they won't damage your Afro).

For the headbands, I recommend this set of headbands that will allow you to pull the hair back for a more aesthetic hairstyle while growing your Afro or curly hair (since all curly hair types puff out and up! Big Grin).

For the Afro pick, I recommend this smooth Afro pick that will be very gentle on your kinks and that will allow you to detangle your hair and keep it smooth. The Afro pick in the link will also help with retouching your Afro and either shaping it further or giving it more volume.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------