Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Growing thin long hair to a man bun, what products to use?
09-26-2015, 11:48 PM
Growing thin long hair to a man bun, what products to use?
Hello all, I am from Denmark so sorry for my English. I am growing my hair out so i eventually can get the famous man bun hairstyle. But until then I need to style my hair on a daily basis.

For now I am using a L'Oreal Studio Indestructible hair gel. This hair gel from L'Oeal has a very high hold. I want something else instead. I want something that gives me a hold like it was fresh out of the shower. So I can comb it back and it stays there without the very hard hold of gel.

I tried my girlfriend's hairstyling foam. This do not work. I tried sea-water but this help only because it's wet. As soon as it dries i could as easily just not have done anything. I tried hair wax but this is not good in my long hair. :-)

Any suggestions for what I can use?

I don't have a receding hairline. I have kind of long hair, it is naturally thin and straight.

Thank you in advance.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-27-2015, 02:29 PM
A styling cream is the best hair product for thin long hair when growing a manbun.
When it comes to long hair and if you want to avoid the hardened texture of hair gel, it's a styling cream that is best suited for what you have in mind.

Styling creams provide a natural shine and sheen while keeping the locks moisturized, which is why such a type of product goes so well with men's long hair. There are other benefits of styling creams for long hair (such as helping to weigh the hair down), but, without a doubt, a good styling cream should be your first stop towards your journey of growing a man bun hairstyle. As a matter of fact, a styling cream is among the very-few men's hair products that we recommend as essential for both the man bun and the top knot.

If you want to get one of the best hairstyling creams that money can buy you, then head over to our men's hair products guide in the link and browse down to where we've listed our recommended styling cream. See (and buy) the one that is recommended in that section and you will be in for a good surprise once you start using it.

If the styling cream that is recommended in our men's hair products guide is too expensive for you, then see the other styling cream recommended for the curtained hairstyle of Leonardo DiCaprio in this linked post (it's the styling cream listed under the Curtained hairstyle). That styling cream is pretty good too and more affordable when compared to the previous styling cream.

Since you're in Europe and since we've had European forum members commenting on where to purchase the second styling cream above (the one for Leonardo DiCaprio's curtains hairstyle), you can also see this linked post of mine recommending that same styling cream which you can buy from Europe. Just check out the vendor that I've linked to and which sells that same styling cream in Europe.

Bear in mind that good styling creams are not cheap. The second styling cream (for the curtained hairstyle) is as cheap as you're going to get without sacrificing the quality of a good styling cream. The great thing about a styling cream is that it is a dual-purpose product: it helps you to achieve a soft slicked texture with a natural shine and it also helps you with moisturizing your hair strands so as to enhance any long hairstyle that you try (including the man bun!). The moisturizing effect of a good styling cream will also help to mildly thicken your hair visually, so that's an add-on benefit that you will be getting too.

The one thing that the styling creams lack is a very strong hold. So, if you want to slick your hair back and you want your hair to be secured back tightly without your hair moving at all, then I highly recommend that you also buy a hair spray so as to secure your hair easily (with the hair spray) while reaping all the benefits of any of the 2 aforementioned styling creams. See this linked post recommending good hair sprays for men that will work very well for your goal of keeping your hair slicked back with a styling cream and without your hair being loose (and instead your hair being tight and secured in its slicked-back shape).

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Growing ponytail important question! Patriots1995 0 62 11-27-2016 02:25 AM
Last Post: Patriots1995
  New hairstyle for straight hair - Quiff or long hairstyles? Wayne Baskin 0 279 09-23-2016 09:22 AM
Last Post: Wayne Baskin
  Hair falling out while growing long hair with seborrhoeic dermatitis? AwesomeHair 1 168 09-11-2016 01:24 PM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum
  Help with styling products for Caesar haircut - Hayden Cassidy hairstyle KIERANHIN95 1 356 07-01-2016 06:59 AM
Last Post: KIERANHIN95