Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Growing out "poofy" hair? 5 1
Growing out "poofy" hair?
10-10-2018, 01:32 PM
Growing out "poofy" hair?
Hey guys,

So I really want to grow out my hair, the longest it's ever been was a little over 3 inches, but when it gets to that length not only is my hair thick and wavy, it gets poofy.

It gets bad enough that when it's at 3 inches in length it adds anywhere from 1.5 - 2 inches of height to the top of my head, depending on where the wave in my hair is. It looks ridiculously bad, and I'm not optimistic of what it would look like if I grew it out past my shoulders.

Is there any way to get rid of the "poofiness"? I would get my hair thinned when I would get it trimmed but that only worked for so long, and I don't want to go to the barber every week.

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-14-2018, 08:31 AM
Use a leave-in conditioner to style your curls to avoid poofy wavy hair.
Hello and welcome to the forum! What you report of is extremely common (if not, the norm) for men with thick wavy hair.

The puffiness of your medium-length wavy hair that you report of will subside once the hair is about 8 inches in length (extended length: pull from a lock and measure from the base of the scalp to the tip).

In the meantime, if you want to get rid of your puffy wavy curls as you grow them longer, the best way to do so is to weigh them down with a leave-in conditioner. When you dry your hair (e.g. after a shower), use THIS leave-in conditioner to coat your hair with. It's imperative that you do not fully dry your hair; rather, leave it somewhat damp when drying it (e.g. with a towel). The leave-in conditioner then traps the dampness of your damp hair and weighs it down so that it is less puffy (actually, there are several ways in which a conditioner like the one in the link does this, but trapping dampness is one of them).

Also, make sure that you're using a regular conditioner. As a curly male (with wavy hair), you simply must use a regular conditioner as part of your daily grooming. A regular conditioner will help you a lot in taming hair puffiness and will improve the aesthetics of your curls many-fold.

Get THIS regular conditioner and use it in the shower right after you shampoo. Coat your hair with this conditioner for two minutes as you continue bathing, and then rinse out the conditioner with water. Exit the shower, dry your hair so that it is left damp (i.e. slightly wet, not fully dry), and then style your hair with the leave-in conditioner in the first link.

You will notice effects after two weeks of doing this daily and it's very much worth doing. Curly males simply need the added moisture on their curls and conditioners (both regular and leave-in conditioners).

Lastly, if you don't own the book "The Men's Hair Book" (by Rogelio Samson who too is a curly-haired male and the expert on men's curly hair), then it'll be in your interest to get that book too as it goes in extreme detail on what to do for perfect curls as a male. You can get the book HERE and it'll be an excellent addition to your starting use of a regular conditioner and a leave-in conditioner.

Let us know how you progress!

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Pubic like hairs growing on head? Wolf6020 0 610 05-15-2017 09:47 AM
Last Post: Wolf6020
  Help for growing out wavy voluminous hair! M.R88 0 819 07-21-2016 03:26 AM
Last Post: M.R88
  Growing out frizzy, dry hair PrzPablo 0 1,443 06-21-2016 08:21 AM
Last Post: PrzPablo
Music Growing out long wavy hair and how to hang it down NEED HELP! bobby 18 48,400 09-25-2015 07:46 AM
Last Post: bobby