Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Growing out long wavy hair and how to hang it down NEED HELP!
09-03-2015, 07:22 AM
Music Growing out long wavy hair and how to hang it down NEED HELP!
Hey guys, so I'm 15 years old and I want to grow out my hair like Matthew Gray Gubler when he had long hair.
I have coarse wavy hair that is a little dry and about 2 inches (it barely goes down to my eyebrow.) When I try to grow my hair, it gets very big and long. It is a little frizzy but trust me, this is very wavy hair and hard to control. If I grow my hair longer, will it start to drop down and be more natural instead of growing out like an afro? (BTW I am a white male). PLEASE HELP!!!!!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-03-2015, 10:36 AM
The best hair products to weigh down men's hair are styling creams and conditioners.
The main problem that you seem to be experiencing is that your hair puffs up and out since it is wavy and still very short. This is extremely common and is expected of wavy hair.

Wavy hair is a type of curly hair and curly hair as a hair texture has a range of different hair volumes. Very curly hair like kinky curly hair has the most amount of hair volume, while lightly-curled hair like wavy hair has the least amount of hair volume but still more volume than straight hair. This means that wavy hair takes some time to hang down but it will do so eventually, and not with a lot of hair length needed as opposed to kinky curly hair.

The minimum hair length for wavy hair to hang down and dangle is six inches. That's the absolute minimum and depending on how thick and unruly your hair is, you will need some more length for your wavy hair to hang down fully. From my experience cutting the hair of many wavy-haired guys, you want to grow your hair to eight inches so as to get the hair-dangling effect.

Since you only have two inches of hair length at the moment, you'e going to have to wait about eight to ten months so as to get to eight inches of hair length, but the wait will be so much worth it. In the meantime you can seek some hairstyle inspiration from the forum in threads like this one on medium hairstyles for wavy hair or this other one on long hairstyles for wavy hair. I will also be showing you the trick to get your hair to hang down with only six inches so you could hypothetically be enjoying dangling wavy hair in as little as six months.

Despite your hair being coarse, you could still get your hair to hang down with only six inches of hair length. The trick to get your hair to hang down is to weigh it down, and you do this by using certain types of hair products for men.

By far the two best men's hair products to get wavy hair to hang down are styling creams and leave-in conditioners. These are hairstyling products so you will use these products to style your hair loosely so that it hangs down in a middle parted hairstyle or a modern slicked back style, up to you.

Now before I talk a bit more about styling creams and leave-in conditioners, it's important to stress that you should also be using a regular conditioner. A regular conditioner (also known as a daily conditioner, a rinse-out conditioner or simply as a "conditioner") is the most important product for men with long hair and especially for men with long curly hair. With a conditioner you will be stuck with frizzy long hair that puffs to the side and looks like a mushroom.

Using a conditioner for men:

Do you have a regular conditioner and are you using it frequently? If not then get the Argan oil conditioner recommended in the following linked list of the best hair products for men which also includes a great styling cream and a great leave-in conditioner. However right now I want you to focus on the conditioner, so browse a little bit down within the first post and find the section labeled as the "best conditioner". As said it's the Argan oil conditioner.

If you don't know how to use a conditioner then read follow my instructions below on how to use a hair conditioner for men:
  1. Wet your hair first.
  2. Grab the conditioner and coat all of your hair with it. A thin film of the conditioner on your hair strands will work well. However you can coat your hair with as much conditioner as you want.
  3. Now, you leave the conditioner on your hair for two minutes as you continue cleaning the rest of your body. This is very important, you must leave the conditioner on your hair for two minutes so that the conditioner works its moisturizing magic on your hair.
  4. After the two minutes are over, you rinse out the conditioner with water. Just us the shower bulb to rinse out the conditioner. This won't take you any longer than a minute, if at all.
Using a hair conditioner in the shower is extremely easy as you can see from my instructions above. As for how frequently to use a hair conditioner, go with at least three times per week and always after shampooing your hair. You can use the conditioner on those days that you don't shampoo if you want, but you must always follow a shampoo with the Argan oil conditioner recommended at the beginning of my reply. Shampoos dry out wavy hair which then increases the amount of hair frizz and thus prevents the long wavy hair from fully hanging down. BY immediately using a hair conditioner right after you rinse out the shampoo in the shower, you're cancelling the hair frizz and dryness created by the shampoo.

Styling cream and leave-in conditioner:
So the regular conditioner above is to be used in the shower and to be rinsed out. Then you leave the shower, towel-dry you hair so that your wavy hair is damp (not wet or fully dry) and you're now ready to style your wavy curls. You have two hair-product options to style your wavy hair loosely so that your hair hangs down and dangles: a styling cream or a leave-in conditioner.

A styling cream will trap the moisture in your damp hair and use that plus the actual weight of the styling cream to weigh down your hair. A good styling cream will give your hair some extra natural shine and make your wavy curls look fuller and with a more defined body. Most styling creams will also have some holding strength, which will come very handy if you would like to slick back your wavy hair in an informal slicked back hairstyle.

You can find an excellent styling cream in the list of the best hair products for men that I linked earlier in my reply, for your convenience here's the list again. Browse down to the section labelled as the "Best hair cream or styling cream".

If the styling cream recommended above is too expensive for you then you can also go with the styling cream recommended in this list of hair products for Leonardo DiCaprio's hair styles. You will find the recommended styling cream under the recommended product for Leonardo DiCaprio's curtained hairstyle.

After the styling cream, you have the leave-in conditioner. A leave-in conditioner will make your hair look fuller and will also make your wavy curls look more shapely. However a leave-in conditioner will not give your wavy hair any measurable extra shine. Also, leave-in conditioners do not have any holding strength so they're the perfect men's hair product for very loose hairstyles and dangling long hair.

To put it bluntly a leave-in conditioner will make your wavy hair look much better and more shapely. All while weighing your hair down and enhancing the hanging-down effect. Just like with a styling cream, a leave-in conditioner also weighs your hair down by trapping the moisture in your damp hair as well as by adding a film of leave-in conditioner to coat your wavy hair strands which then adds extra weight to your wavy curls. This causes your long wavy hair to hang down at lengths with which your wavy hair would not yet hang down naturally without any hair products.

Leave-in conditioners have been covered many times in the forum and there are some excellent leave-in conditioners that are recommended in different threads. However, the main forum reference when it comes to choosing the best leave-in conditioner for men is this list of men's leave-in conditioners that has a good number of great leave-in conditioners with different prices. Irrespective of the different prices for the leave-in conditioners in that linked list, all those listed leave-in conditioners are great products and will work very well so as to weigh your hair down and make it look much better.

Since I've written a lot as my reply here's a quick summary. However, don't forget to check the links that I've posted to the different threads in this forum that have all the recommended products.
  • Use a conditioner at least three times per week.
  • Use a styling cream to weigh down your curls when your hair is between six to ten inches. A styling cream like the one recommended in the linked list of hair products or the one for Leonardo DiCaprio's curtained hairstyle will give you some extra hair shine and holding strength to keep your long hair slicked back (and dangling) or to keep your long hair dangling but with some extra shine and fuller wavy curls.
  • Use a leave-in conditioner to also weight down your curls at the lengths stated for the styling cream, only that a leave-in conditioner will not provide any extra hair shine nor will it provide any holding strength. Any of the recommended leave-in conditioners listed in the link that I posted below will make your hair look much better and as if you hadn't used a hair product to do so.
09-03-2015, 10:51 AM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2015 11:00 AM by bobby.)
RE: Growing out long wavy hair and how to hang it down NEED HELP!
Thanks! Would American Crew Hair Fiber be a styling cream? Any tricks to get it to grow faster?
09-03-2015, 12:10 PM
A good diet and the right supplements are essential for fast hair growth in men.
No, American Crew's hair fiber is a styling wax and not a styling cream. A hair wax is a type of styling wax that has a medium-hold up to a strong-hold, which you will want to avoid if you want to have your long hair dangling. Styling waxes do not moisturize the hair as much as styling creams do, so using a styling wax or a hair fiber wax will not help with keeping your wavy hair looking good and hanging down.

If you like the American Crew brand, then look into their American Crew forming cream which was reviewed in the forum too (see the link). However, the two styling creams that I recommended in my previous reply are far more superior than the styling cream from American Crew for your purpose.

Go through this list of men's hairstyling wax products for a big range of hair waxes with different textures and properties (including the hair fiber from American Crew). That linked list is a post from one of the senior moderators and he explains hair waxes in a lot more detail. He has also listed all the places from which to get each of the hair waxes in the range that you will find listed, so I suggest that you bookmark that list for future reference if you're thinking of purchasing a hairstyling wax.

Your hair is only two inches long so it isn't even a medium length yet. That means that you are free to pretty much use any men's hairstyling product that you want. So if you would like to try the hair fiber from American Crew or if you'd like to try any of the other hairstyling waxes in the aforementioned list, then by all means do so.

Once your hair reaches six inches in length it will be time to change your hairstyling products to either a styling cream or a leave-in conditioner (or both). Bear in mind that we're talking of making your puffy wavy hair hang down with only six to ten inches which is easier said than done. You need to use the right hair products for men to ensure that you wavy hair starts to hang down as soon as possible, instead of having to wait longer for your hair to hang down naturally.

The most important products to get your long wavy hair hanging down are a regular conditioner, a styling cream and a leave-in conditioner. In the meantime and until you get to a hair length of six inches, you can use any type of men's hairstyling product as your hair grows longer and to the marked length of six inches.

How to grow hair faster:

As for growing hair faster, the best thing that you can do is to have a good diet and supplement with some of the essential nutrients for men's hair. These are the most important nutrients to grow healthy hair as fast as genetically possible:
  • Vitamin C
  • Vitamin E
  • Vitamin A
  • Zinc
  • Iodine
  • Omega-3 fats
The above nutrients are essential for the manufacturing of strong healthy hair in your follicles, and any minor lack of these nutrients will manifest as a slower hair growth rate and hair that grows wiry and frizzy. Three more supplements that also have some good feedback on helping hair grow faster are these:
  • Methylsulfonylmethane: also known as MSM, from personal experience it helps a little with growing hair faster, but you need to use it with the rest of nutrients above. I'm not talking of just my experience but of the experience (as I've been told) of our barbershop customers.
  • Biotin: same results as with the MSM. Biotin is a vitamin and is also water-soluble so you can take it many times during the day if you want to test how much extra hair growth you can get out of it.
  • Tea tree oil: more and more feedback is being received about tea tree oil slightly improving the rate of hair growth in men. It also seems to thicken the hair slightly. Tea tree oil is an anti-fungal compound and can be used as part of a hair loss treatment, so there is probably something interesting going on with tea tree oil to make hair grow faster and thicker. It's a benign substance so it can't hurt to try it. A great tea tree oil product is this tea-tree oil shampoo and conditioner bundle as posted in the link. It's been tried by quite a few forum members already and by myself too so I can recommend it too as so have others.
If you search around the forum you will find threads discussing the merits of all these nutrients when used alone or together. But for your absolute reference, read and bookmark this discussion on the essential nutrients for male hair as all the vitamins, minerals and other nutrients that I've mentioned above have been explained and discussed in detail in that linked discussion. You will also find the different recommended sellers in that thread for each of the nutrients in case that you want to buy any of them.

If you want to get the fastest hair growth possible, I would go with the recommended products in the discussion above: cod liver oil, zinc, biotin and vitamin C. I don't think that they've recommended a source for MSM in that particular thread but just grab any decent one that you find on Amazon.

One last product that could help you with growing your hair faster is caffeine used topically. There exist "caffeine shampoos" which are sometimes used in hair loss treatments. Caffeine is believed to increase the blood flow to the hair follicles which means that you achieve a better flow of nutrition to your follicles that was previously uncapped (I'm talking of regular folks who aren't balding like you or me).

I have been testing a couple of caffeine shampoos to see if I would get any benefits from them, either a faster hair growth rate or an increase in hair thickness. I have only tested this a little so I have more to test and then I will post my results on the forum if I get around to finishing my tests.

So far into my tests I have noticed that my hair looks slightly better but that could easily be placebo. But if you want to use all the hair-growing tools currently available to men for a faster hair growth rate then have a look at the DS caffeine shampoo in this list of male hair loss products (under the title for "hair loss shampoos" in that linked list).

One last thing, while all these supplements are safe and can be used without any doctor supervision, it's our duty as forum members to always recommend that you consult a doctor prior to using any supplements or changing your dietary habits. I also strongly recommend that you ask your parents first before purchasing anything. Explain your situation and your desire to grow your hair long. Never disobey your parents if they don't allow you to proceed. I'm a father myself and while I would be fine with your situation if it happened to any of my sons (one of them is 16 years old), your parents are the ones responsible for you so always consult them before doing anything and always obey their rules.
09-03-2015, 12:23 PM
Thanks! I will keep you updated on my hair status! You could be like my online barber/hair consultant.
09-03-2015, 12:36 PM
BTW would Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Intensely Smooth Leave-In Conditioning Cream be good? I want to save money but I am definitely getting the One 'n Only Argan Oil Styling Cream.
09-03-2015, 12:47 PM
Quote:Would Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Intensely Smooth Leave-In Conditioning Cream be good? I want to save money but I am definitely getting the One 'n Only Argan Oil Styling Cream.

Yes, that Fructis Sleek & Shine leave-in conditioner cream from Garnier will do the job for now if you happen to be a little bit tight on cash. The Argan oil styling cream that you're also getting is the perfect mix to any leave-in conditioner, even if it's to some of the cheaper leave-in conditioners like the aforementioned leave-in conditioner from Garnier.

You have a solid product foundation with those two products. If you want to post updates, you can do so in this thread or start a new thread on the blogging section of the forum. As for any other questions about the products, you can post your questions in this thread already.
09-04-2015, 12:16 PM
When do I use the leave in conditioner and styling cream? Should I use them at the same time? Can I use the styling cream now for my hairstyle (I slick the hair up and to the left a little bit)?
09-04-2015, 01:30 PM
Yes, you can start using the styling cream straightaway. In fact, you can also use the leave-in conditioner straight away.

The styling cream and the leave-in conditioner are both "hairstyling" products, so you use either of them to style your hair. Whichever of the two products you choose will depend on the type of texture and hair-finish that you want on your hair.

As I explained in my previous post, you would use the styling cream if you want your hair to have more natural shine and to also look fuller. Also the styling cream has some hold (but not a lot) so you can use the styling cream to slick back your hair or to comb it to the side.

The leave-in conditioner will not add as much shine to your hair as the styling cream, and the leave in conditioner doesn't have any holding strength either. So a leave-in conditioner is the perfect product to have your hair dangling. The leave-in conditioner will make your hair look much better (better and fuller curls) but this improvement to your hair will be natural as in no one will notice that you used a product to make your wavy hair more aesthetic. That's the cool thing about leave-in conditioners, they make your hair look better and your wavy curls fuller without anyone thinking that you've used a product.

Since you are new to these two products, just play around with them once they arrive to your door. You can also use the leave-in conditioner together with the styling cream, but I only recommend that you do this once your wavy hair is about five inches as the combination of a leave-in conditioner with a styling cream will weigh down your hair a lot, which is a great benefit for wavy hair at five inches of length.
09-04-2015, 01:46 PM
Thanks! Does it matter if my hair is long on top and short on the sides and back? (The front/top is 2 inches at its longest and the sides are not even an inch).
09-05-2015, 09:35 AM
Avoid cutting your wavy curls when growing your hair long to a shoulder length.
(09-04-2015 01:46 PM)bobby Wrote:  Thanks! Does it matter if my hair is long on top and short on the sides and back? (The front/top is 2 inches at its longest and the sides are not even an inch).

The best way to grow long hair to a shoulder length is to have the sides and back of the head at the same as the hair on the top. However a difference of just one inch in length between the sides with the back and the top of the head is absolutely fine. In my opinion the maximum difference that is allowed before breaking the aesthetics of a shoulder length hairstyle is two to three inches. If you read around the forum you will read of other barbers recommending this same rule of thumb. Also the author of The Men's Hair Book recommends that same hair length difference when growing hair long in the chapter about long hair and men's hair care.

Continue to grow your wavy hair long. Do not get any trims and do not get your hair thinned out. Actually my advice as a barber is to not step into a barbershop or hair salon until you have gotten to your desired length. As much as it's bad business for me as I lose a customer, I always advise those customers of ours to skip visiting any barbershop for a year if they're growing their hair long or all the way down to the shoulders.

If you damage your hair then sure, go to the barbershop to trim the damaged ends. However you won't be getting any damaged ends or hair strands unless you start to bleach and dye your hair. Straightening your wavy curls with a hair relaxer can also damage the hair strands. As for using a flat iron, make sure you use a heat tamer as explained in this men's flat iron post so that you keep your hair damage free when using a flat iron.
09-05-2015, 01:17 PM
Thanks! I use L'Oreal Power Moisture hydrating 2 in 1 shampoo and conditioner (hyaluronic). Are 2 in 1 conditioner shampoos any good? When my hair dries, it feels frizzy.
09-08-2015, 07:23 AM
So my hair is now at 2 and a half inches! I have a question. I want hold to style my hair in a way that it does not naturally grow, but i want to have it so i can run my fingers through my hair. I'm debating whether to get the Gatsby Moving Rubber Spiky Edge wax or the One 'n' Only styling cream. Should I save the cream until my hair reaches 6 inches?
09-09-2015, 08:47 AM
It's best that you use a regular conditioner for men and get the Gatsby hair wax.
(09-05-2015 01:17 PM)bobby Wrote:  Thanks! I use L'Oreal Power Moisture hydrating 2 in 1 shampoo and conditioner (hyaluronic). Are 2 in 1 conditioner shampoos any good? When my hair dries, it feels frizzy.

I am not a big fan of "2 in 1" shampoos because you end up getting one some shampooing effect and some conditioning effect. You just don't get the full shampooing and conditioning effect of using a shampoo first and then following that with a conditioner.

Your use of a "2 in 1" shampoo and conditioner could easily be causing the frizzy hair, or at least in part. I would recommend that you instead get a good conditioner for men. See the list of recommended hair products and get the Argan oil conditioner, which is a cheap but great men's conditioner and which will also help with the frizz hair.

(09-08-2015 07:23 AM)bobby Wrote:  So my hair is now at 2 and a half inches! I have a question, I want hold strength to style my hair in a way that it does not naturally grow, but I want to have it so that I can run my fingers through my hair. I'm debating whether to get the Gatsby Moving Rubber Spiky Edge wax or the One 'n' Only styling cream. Should I save the cream until my hair reaches 6 inches?

Yes, get the Gatsby Moving Rubber hair wax for now since your hair is only two and a half inches long and then get the One & Only styling cream for when your hair reaches a length of six inches. You could still buy the styling cream now with the Gatsby hair wax and test the styling cream with your current hair length, but most optimal solution when it comes to which hairstyling product to use right now is to go with the Gatsby hair wax.

I suggest that you see this list of the Gatsby hair styling waxes that are re-workable and some of the listed Gatsby hair waxes have a strong hold, which is what you need. A re-workable hair wax is a type of hair wax that allows you to re-style your hair again throughout the day without having to wet you hair again or shampoo your hair again. The range of Gatsby hair waxes that you will find in the linked list do that very well, and those hair waxes have varying degrees of holding strength and hair shine that will suit your current hairstyling need.
09-10-2015, 06:36 AM
I am actually getting the Gatsby Moving Rubber Wild Shake because it has medium shine and strong hold. Is that reworkable?
09-11-2015, 03:54 AM
Yes, the purple Gatsby hair wax from that list (and any from that linked list) is a re-workable hair wax, so you can re-style you hair with it throughout the day.
09-18-2015, 04:31 PM
Thanks man! It came in yesterday and it is amazing! I love having this strong hold and also being workable. It feels a little sticky though( but it's still worth it). I love this stuff. BTW my hair is a little over 3 inches long. I have been using my dads Nioxin scalp therapy conditioner but recently switched over to Renpure Argan Oil conditioner. My hair is the softest its ever been!!!
09-19-2015, 08:12 AM (This post was last modified: 09-19-2015 08:20 AM by bobby.)
[Image: Matthew+Gray+Gubler+as+Dr.+Spencer+Reid+...2E14+3.png]

[Image: matthew-gray-gubler-as-dr-spencer-reid-o...-tar-5.png]
This my goal and it is at least 7-8 inches. I am now at 3 inches! I will keep updating my hair status and send some pics! Thanks Panther! I couldnt have gotten this much hair growth and tips without you!!! Your the freaking best barber on this site!!!!
09-25-2015, 07:46 AM
I just got a haircut yesterday. BUT WAIT!!! I got an undercut and a very small trim on top to get rid of split ends. I want it to look like Luca Fersko.[Image: 1437628542384.png]
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Method to turn Curly hair into Wavy hair for Men - Hair Product Trick Bradley 2 13,977 09-28-2016 01:13 AM
Last Post: PinkChili
  How long to grow medium afro hairstyle for wavy hair? R.mendez099 1 444 07-30-2016 01:56 AM
Last Post: PrettyboiJ21
  Help for growing out wavy voluminous hair! M.R88 0 295 07-21-2016 03:26 AM
Last Post: M.R88
  Growing out frizzy, dry hair PrzPablo 0 502 06-21-2016 08:21 AM
Last Post: PrzPablo