Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Growing my long hair out do I shave sides and neckline?
09-08-2015, 11:15 PM
Growing my long hair out do I shave sides and neckline?
So I have seen some guys who have long hair (long enough to put in a small ponytail) and when the hair is in a ponytail I notice around the ears and down by the neckline like the bottom 1/2" of their hair is shaved very short. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

I just started growing my hair out about 3 months ago from a fade so the sides are starting to get kinda messy and I was thinking this may help clean it up a bit. Any advice? Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2015, 09:34 AM
The trend of shaving the top knot and man bun is called the Undershave hairstyle.
Yes, what you're talking about is called the undershave haircut. The undershave is a new 2015 men's haircut that has been the next move in terms of the famous undercut haircut. What guys were doing in 2014 is they were growing their hair long so as to wear a top knot hairstyle while leaving the sides and back of the head in an undercut with a buzzed length. This is the best option for the top knot hairstyle.

As more men were getting undercuts for their topknots, the trend shifted to shaving the sides and back of the head instead of buzzing it in an undercut with a hair clipper. So guys were shaving their top knot undercut hairstyles and the new trend of the top knot undershave appeared, which is what you're talking about. I've seen this at our barbershop and we have been getting requests for the undershave ever since the spring of 2015.

This is how a top knot undershave hairstyle looks like:

[Image: Kdj2cve.jpg]

Here's another topknot undershave haircut with the knot placed a bit lower on the head. See how the hair is shaved at about the level of the temples:

[Image: c7G8pGv.jpg]

Here in the forum you will find this very useful Undershave hairstyle guide with lots of pictures of different undershave haircuts with long hair. By far, the undershave looks the best with long hair and not with medium-length hair or short hair. The undershave is usually shaved from the temples down, but you can only shave the last two and a half inches of the neck's hairline and ears' hairline if you want. The point of the undershave is to go "all in" and shave the hair with a razor.

The top knot undershave and the man bun undershave are two new hairstyles of 2015 which are getting more and more trendier. I'm not so sure if this is going to be left as a summer men's hairstyle trend or if the undershave hairstyle trend will continue on to 2016 (at least the first few months).

Take into account that long hair makes your head heat up a lot so by shaving the hair on the sides and back of the head, you make your head instantly cooler, so the undershave haircut for long hairstyles like the top knot and the man bun is priceless. We will see though if those who have shaved their topknots and manbuns will continue to do so when the weather gets colder in autumn.
09-09-2015, 12:03 PM
RE: Growing my hair out do I shave sides and neckline?
Thanks for your post bro but that's not the style I'm looking for. The style I've seen on a few guys is basically long hair pulled into a ponytail but only about a half inch near the neckline and sides is buzzed short.
09-09-2015, 05:18 PM
Just figured out its like a nape undercut I guess.
09-18-2015, 04:53 AM
Just search for an undercut, I think that's what you are talking about.
08-26-2016, 12:28 PM
RE: Growing my long hair out do I shave sides and neckline?
Yes. I'm also growing my hair out and i clean up my neckline and sideburns otherwise they get too messy.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Long hair side shaved grow to man bun hairstyle or top knot? darkguy2 3 317 10-17-2016 08:44 AM
Last Post: r3dzzz
  Looking for advice with medium/long hair shenefbs 0 181 10-07-2016 08:53 PM
Last Post: shenefbs
  Cutting my long hair LongHairSuck 0 178 09-10-2016 06:42 AM
Last Post: LongHairSuck
  Help Determining Hair Type and with Growing Hair Out seanpaulsartre 0 198 08-12-2016 06:02 PM
Last Post: seanpaulsartre