Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Growing my hair out - Maintenance?
06-02-2015, 11:49 AM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2015 11:49 AM by flomer.)
Growing my hair out - Maintenance?
Hi guys,

I have been growing my hair out for about a year now from really short hair. During this time I have gotten a haircut 3 times where I have asked the barber to maintain the length but thin it out and clean it up a bit. However, each time the barber has cut more length than I asked for - I guess they are just trim happy Smile. The last time I cut my hair was during the end of February.

My goal is to try out the man bun but the sides / front sides still need some length to achieve the bun.

I was wondering if at my current state should do some from of maintenance? Should I get a trim and "clean it up"? Or should I should keeping growing?

I currently wash my hair with shampoo and conditioner twice a week.

I tried to take some pictures of my hair, it was difficult to do it alone and they didn't turn out very well, but I hope they help you assess my hair's current state Big Grin.

Edit: I was not able to post a link to the pictures Sad
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-04-2015, 07:38 AM
Never cut your hair when growing it long. It's counterproductive to your goals!
Don't bother with trimming your hair now; leave that until you've achieved your desired hair length for your man bun. It's a myth that you should get regular haircuts or trims when growing hair long. In fact, you should stay away from scissors or the barbershop as far as possible.

Continue growing your hair long and simply take good care of it. This is because, if you damage your hair, that damage will stay with your hair for as long as you cut it. Since you're trying to achieve extra length on your hair, that hair damage will follow you, which won't be nice (including for the aesthetics of your man bun).

The minimum hair length to get a man bun is 8 inches, although you'd be better off to strive for 10 inches so as to avoid tying your man bun too tight, which would then lead to traction alopecia.

You seem to have the shampoo and conditioner worked out, so that's a good thing. Hair products to style your growing hair (i.e. for long hair) include a styling cream and a leave-in conditioner. Dump any hair waxes, pomades or hair gels (unless it's a light-hold hair gel). You want to encourage smoothness and gloss with your long hair and especially so if aiming for a man bun hairstyle.

Lastly, make sure that you have the right hair accessories for your man bun. And, by that, I mean that you have metal-free hair elastics and headbands. Have a look at our huge hair accessories guide for men as we've gone through all the men's hair accessories that are of great use for long hair styles which also include the man bun.

You will also find in our men's hair accessories guide a list of vendors for all the hair accessories. The prices are very cheap, so I recommend that you get enough of them as you'll lose some of them eventually. For example, you will find in that hair accessories guide a set of 36 hair elastics (metal-free), which is a great purchasing decision for men wanting to get man bun hairstyles! Smile

I've also upgraded your account so that you can post images and image link of your hair or of any other hairstyles you have in mind.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
06-07-2015, 11:38 AM (This post was last modified: 06-07-2015 11:39 AM by flomer.)
RE: Growing my hair out - Maintenance?
(06-04-2015 07:38 AM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Don't bother with trimming your hair now; leave that until you've achieved your desired hair length for your man bun. It's a myth that you should get regular haircuts or trims when growing hair long. In fact, you should stay away from scissors or the barbershop as far as possible.

Continue growing your hair long and simply take good care of it. This is because, if you damage your hair, that damage will stay with your hair for as long as you cut it. Since you're trying to achieve extra length on your hair, that hair damage will follow you, which won't be nice (including for the aesthetics of your man bun).

The minimum hair length to get a man bun is 8 inches, although you'd be better off to strive for 10 inches so as to avoid tying your man bun too tight, which would then lead to traction alopecia.

You seem to have the shampoo and conditioner worked out, so that's a good thing. Hair products to style your growing hair (i.e. for long hair) include a styling cream and a leave-in conditioner. Dump any hair waxes, pomades or hair gels (unless it's a light-hold hair gel). You want to encourage smoothness and gloss with your long hair and especially so if aiming for a man bun hairstyle.

Lastly, make sure that you have the right hair accessories for your man bun. And, by that, I mean that you have metal-free hair elastics and headbands. Have a look at our huge hair accessories guide for men as we've gone through all the men's hair accessories that are of great use for long hair styles which also include the man bun.

You will also find in our men's hair accessories guide a list of vendors for all the hair accessories. The prices are very cheap, so I recommend that you get enough of them as you'll lose some of them eventually. For example, you will find in that hair accessories guide a set of 36 hair elastics (metal-free), which is a great purchasing decision for men wanting to get man bun hairstyles! Smile

I've also upgraded your account so that you can post images and image link of your hair or of any other hairstyles you have in mind.

Thanks for the response! I'll let my hair continue to grow and hopefully it will reach the length I need within a couple of months.

I currently use a styling cream every now and again but I will take a look at the Moroccan Oil one. I will also get my hands on some good elastics as I might need them soon Smile.

Here is a link to some pictures of my hair. They did not turn out very well but I hope they are of some use.

http://imgur.com/a/6eHFU

The pictures are taken without any products in my hair. I usually find that the styling cream helps me control the frizzy hair.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Growing out my hair. Skyro 0 154 11-11-2016 06:14 AM
Last Post: Skyro
  Growing Shoulder Length Hair from Medium Hair, How Much Time? damon789 2 526 10-03-2016 09:37 AM
Last Post: The Hairstylist
  Hair Length Inconsistency and Haircut Advice (Growing Long Hair) tombanter 0 364 08-04-2016 09:44 AM
Last Post: tombanter
  Growing out wavy hair Acillatem123 0 549 05-17-2016 09:28 PM
Last Post: Acillatem123