Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Growing long man bun hairstyle with fine wavy hair (pictures)
10-11-2015, 01:52 AM (This post was last modified: 10-11-2015 01:57 AM by Bsrfitness.)
Growing long man bun hairstyle with fine wavy hair (pictures)
Hey guys, I am trying to grow my hair long enough so I can put it in a man bun, back bun etc, I'm unsure with my hair-type though.

I have had really fine hair all my life, it's pretty easy to see my scalp, I'm not going bald, my hair has stayed the same so far apart from me cutting it/growing it.

I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to hair and growing/styling/looking after it, so any advice would be awesome!

Here are some pics on my computer, sorry if there not the best angles.

[Image: OKlCWvm.jpg]

[Image: v1tVNez.jpg]

[Image: 38DaLXi.jpg]

[Image: b9LIANO.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-11-2015, 08:20 AM
To grow an epic man bun, you will need patience and a good conditioner product!
I've embedded some pictures from your Instagram feed which you posted in your initial pictures and which were the ones that you intended to post. Unfortunately, Instagram doesn't allow you to gab the images to embed them, so you can always upload to your post any more pictures of your hair that you'd like to post. Just add the pictures as attachments whenever you want to make a post in the forum.

You have great hair; I don't know where you're getting that you have thin hair. You have a good density and your hair strands look normal. It's normal to see through the scalp when the hair is hanging down as per your case. The pictures aren't very detailed so I can't see your density very well, but I'd say don't worry about it. Your hair type as per our hair type guide for men is wavy hair and almost straight hair, but always err on the side of caution when determining your hair type and choose the curlier hair type if you're in between 2 hair types.

You have a solid foundation for growing a man bun. All you are left now with doing is to wait patiently for your hair to be at least 8 inches long. You currently seem to have a middle-parted hairstyle with some form of taper haircut or Undercut on the sides of your head. This isn't a good type of haircut for a man bun if you want to use all of your hair to make the bun in the manbun. However, the difference in hair length between the hair on the top and the hair on the sides seem to be too big, so my advice is to continue to grow the hair on the top while getting the sides and back of your head trimmed in a short length (i.e. with your current haircut for the hair on the sides and back of the head).

During your waiting period as you grow your man bun, make sure that you're using a hair conditioner. What this type of product does is keep your hair glossy and tangle-free, which is very important as your hair approaches the eight-inch length mark (to tie a man bun). I highly recommend that you go through this shampoo and conditioner discussion to learn about setting up your own shampooing and conditioning frequency.

For your hair type and your hair-length goal, shampooing and conditioning your hair 3 times per week will do very well. In the shower, you first shampoo your hair, rinse out the shampoo and then immediately coat your hair with your chosen hair conditioner. Leave the conditioner coating your hair for 2 minutes as you go about cleaning the rest of your body in the shower and then, after the 2 minutes have passed, you rinse out the conditioner. Do this 3 times per week and you will be golden.

As far as buying a good shampoo and a good conditioner, check out our men's hair products guide and get any of the shampoos and conditioners listed (they are at the beginning of the first post under each heading). I highly recommend that you get the Argan oil conditioner that we've recommended as it's very affordable and works very well for wavy hair.

One more hair product that you should be using as your hair grows longer is a leave-in conditioner. A leave-in conditioner does the same thing as a regular conditioner (as I've explained above), only that a leave-in conditioner is not rinsed out and is instead used to style your hair loosely. A leave-in conditioner will add a natural gloss to your hair and make it look thicker, which is an added bonus for your growing hair.

You'd use a leave-in conditioner when you don't tie your hair and want it to be dangling and hanging down (like in your pictures above) and you'd also use a leave in conditioner to tie and style your man bun. To use a leave-in conditioner, simply lightly coat your hair with it when your hair is damp (e.g. after showering and having towel-dried your hair) and then proceed with the styling of your long mane (whether it'd be in a loose hairstyle or tied as a man bun).

See this list of leave-in conditioners for men that includes some great leave-in conditioners with different affordable prices. A leave-in conditioner is almost a "must-have" hair product for long-haired men as it offers plenty of benefits and is more useful for long-haired guys than the conventional hairstyling products like hair gel or hair wax.

What you can do is keep us updated in your other thread which I've moved to our Blogging section in the forum. You can post pictures as your hair grows longer or any time that you'd like to ask for advice or feedback on your current hair's status. There are other forum members documenting their hair-growing journeys and it's always great to have more forum members providing plenty of long-hair inspiration as they continue to get feedback from others on their hair-growing efforts! Smile

Lastly, make sure that you've gone through our extensive man bun hairstyle guide as you will find plenty of advice and tips in that guide as well as lots of man-bun pictures for inspiration.

You can also go through our top knot hairstyle guide to get more ideas on "bun" hairstyles; the main difference between a man bun and a top knot is that a top knot is a shorter version of a man bun (i.e. you only need 6 inches of hair length to tie a top knot, but the hair on the sides and back of your head must be buzzed short for a topknot!).

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
10-12-2015, 05:01 AM
RE: Growing long man bun hairstyle with fine wavy hair (pictures)
Thank you very much for all the tips and advice!! I'll keep the forum updated on my journey growing my hair longer!
I'll post photos on my way along.

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How to get long hair like Johnny Depp hairstyle Sonchek 1 144 10-17-2016 08:22 AM
Last Post: r3dzzz
  Growing Shoulder Length Hair from Medium Hair, How Much Time? damon789 2 375 10-03-2016 09:37 AM
Last Post: The Hairstylist
Wink How to grow long hair like Avan Jogia from short medium haircut zuburaika 6 6,769 09-11-2016 04:33 AM
Last Post: r3dzzz
  New hairstyle, long hair to ...? philippe_lopes 0 236 09-08-2016 02:33 PM
Last Post: philippe_lopes