Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Growing a beard, versus genetics
05-24-2015, 04:40 PM
Growing a beard, versus genetics
Hello,

I am wondering for a long time, am I able to grow a beard (not really a beard, more like a trimmed facial hair with to few millimeters) if the genetics is against me? I am currently 20 y.o., and I can only grow a mustache and a goatee. The speed of growth is not high at all, I can see the facial hair the day after shaving, but it starts to look shave-ready after 4-5 days (I don't like to have my skin smooth like a kid, so I wait circa 4 days to shave).

I can feel some hair on my cheeks, but it is almost invisible, really pale. My father can't grow full beard either.

Should I hope, or should I just deal with it? Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-26-2015, 07:51 AM
Men have a given number of hair follicles on their face via their genes.
Your genes determine the potential that you have to grow a beard, in the same way that they determine one's potential height, cranium size or collarbone width.

You're born with a given set of hair follicles all over your body, including your face and scalp. These follicles become active at different stages in a male's life, and beard follicles are known to be among the last follicles to be activated and mature. This is specially the case in men who are late bloomers (i.e. hit puberty after age 15).

A good gauge for how much facial hair you can grow is to look at your father's beard growth (or stubble growth) as well as to the beard growth or stubble growth of your uncles (on both sides of the family). From one of the sides of the family, you will have inherited a particular facial hair shape and distribution (of follicles).

Since you're 20 years old, the good news is that some men don't experience a full beard until their late 20s. Again, this is the case with late bloomers. A male who hit puberty within the average range should expect to develop a full beard (according to how his genes determine) by his early 20s.

So the question is, at what age did you hit puberty? If you have peach-like hair strands on the sides of your face and jawline, then those thin hair strands will eventually mature and become thicker. So you could still have a couple of years more to develop the fullest beard that you can genetically achieve.

Bear in mind that beard growth isn't just determined by your genes. You need an optimal amount of nutrients to maximize your beard growth as well as your scalp hair growth. Have a look at our hair nutrients discussion for a good read on which are the most important nutrients for healthy hair growth, both on the scalp and on the face.

Your beard growth will also be determined by several hormones in your body, namely dihydrotestosterone and triiodothyronine. If you have low levels of these two hormones, among other hormones that are involved in the development and growth of hair strands and follicles, then you will experience a thinner beard with a slow growth and with hairless patches.

So get back to us on when you hit puberty and, if possible, post one or two pictures of your facial hair with stubble so that we can see the distribution of your facial hair and any potential for more beard growth.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What beard trimmer? Hublocker 0 75 11-21-2016 04:42 PM
Last Post: Hublocker
  Can I grow skyrim beard Skyrimbeard 1 156 11-15-2016 11:47 AM
Last Post: Cemmos
  Patch in beard Zaryhf 0 224 10-15-2016 02:25 AM
Last Post: Zaryhf
  Facial hair and beard styles stereotypes in the media - Report The Hairstylist 0 216 10-09-2016 09:07 AM
Last Post: The Hairstylist