Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Growing a Man Bun!
05-17-2014, 05:37 AM
Growing a Man Bun!
Hello,

For most of my life I have been rocking a short hair look which I grew a bit bored off. I then decided to try something new a few years ago and I went with a side-parted look. I have been trying out different undercuts and side-parted looks for the last two years or so, and I now feel like it is time for a change again.

I went over "The man Bun Guide" and I really want to give the hairstyle a try. I mean, it is only hair so I can always cut it if it doesn't turn out any good Smile. During this experience I would like to give the Jared Leto style and Jake Gyllenhaal style a try. This will of course take some time to achieve.

It's been around 6 weeks since I got a haircut. I'm pretty bad at estimating my hair length but I would say the top is around 3 inches and the sides are slightly shorter. I obviously need to grow the hair longer - but how long does it actually have to be until I can experience with the man bun?

A small "issue" is that I have my high school prom and graduation coming up in the next 4 weeks. I would like to look sharp during these two events. I am concerned about that stage when you grow your hair long and it looks awkward. Would you suggest I start to grow my hair after these events?

Thank you,

flomer
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-17-2014, 02:47 PM
RE: Growing a Man Bun!
I went thru that man bun guide in the forum and really like the style too.
However I am thinning so no luck for me Undecided I hope you can eventually grow a cool man bun bro

Have you tried the Jake Gyllenhaal haircut guide?
http://www.menshairforum.com/talk/Thread...cut-advice

It is really good and the haircut is an undercut with back slicked hair. Are you perhaps talking about that haircut of Jake Gyllenhaal?

Do you also have the mens hair book? there is a lot of information in the book about hair growing and long hair. Also talks about good nutrition which you will need to grow hair long.

About your prom , if you want to get the haircut of Jake Gyllenhaal that is very easy. Any town barber can do an undercut. The problem which I have read in the forum is that growing hair long from an undercut is a bit of a pain. The hair grows at different lengths, hair at the top is longer and hair below the top is much shorter.

For example , in the mens hair book there is a tip that says to never exceed two inches of length between the shortest and the longest hair on the head. In the undercut the difference created is much longer so you may have awkward hair growth as time passes. but I do agree that the undercut of Jake Gyllenhaal with the slicked back hair is a really cool hairstyle for an event like a prom
05-18-2014, 03:46 AM
(05-17-2014 02:47 PM)Vladimir Wrote:  I went thru that man bun guide in the forum and really like the style too.
However I am thinning so no luck for me Undecided I hope you can eventually grow a cool man bun bro

Have you tried the Jake Gyllenhaal haircut guide?

It is really good and the haircut is an undercut with back slicked hair. Are you perhaps talking about that haircut of Jake Gyllenhaal?

Do you also have the mens hair book? there is a lot of information in the book about hair growing and long hair. Also talks about good nutrition which you will need to grow hair long.

About your prom , if you want to get the haircut of Jake Gyllenhaal that is very easy. Any town barber can do an undercut. The problem which I have read in the forum is that growing hair long from an undercut is a bit of a pain. The hair grows at different lengths, hair at the top is longer and hair below the top is much shorter.

For example , in the mens hair book there is a tip that says to never exceed two inches of length between the shortest and the longest hair on the head. In the undercut the difference created is much longer so you may have awkward hair growth as time passes. but I do agree that the undercut of Jake Gyllenhaal with the slicked back hair is a really cool hairstyle for an event like a prom

Thanks for the reply Vladimir!

While the back slick haircut of Jake Gyllenhaal does look nice, I was talking about his man bun style. Should have made that clear in the post, sorry!

So an undercut would lead to some difficulties in growing my hair long - makes sense I guess. Thanks for letting me know!
05-21-2014, 08:12 AM
Flomer, I am with Vladimir in that you should concentrate in getting the Undercut with slicked back hair which is the haircut and hairstyle of Jake Gyllenhaal for your prom. Only after that event, then worry about growing a man bun.

It is indeed true that the Undercut produces a high discrepancy in hair length. Basically, the top of your head will have a hair length anywhere between 3 to 6 inches with the slicked back Undercut (depending on the length you want on the top), while the sides and back of the head will have a clipped length (which is less than half an inch). Thus, you will end up with too much of a length discrepancy (difference) between the hair on the top and head on the sides and back if you decide to grow your hair longer.

You will indeed need to grow your hair longer for the man bun. The good thing though is that you can keep an Undercut[/url] with a man bun. What this means is that you simply grow the hair on the top of the head while keeping the Undercut. The picture below is how an Undercut with long hair looks from behind and it gives you an idea of how the back of the head is divided into the Undercut (clipped hair) and hair on the top of the head.

[Image: 11276483.jpg]

For the man bun, you want to have 8 inches of hair length. If you have The Men's Hair Book (if you don't, I highly recommend you get it in the link), you will know that there are 2 types of "lengths": extended and visible. The 8 inches of hair length for the man bun are to be "extended length". Remember that men's hair grows at a rate of approximately half an inch (of extended length) per month, so simply work out the extended length on the top of your head and subtract the result from 8, then multiply by 2 and you will get how many months you have left to have your hair long enough for a man bun.

So, if you have on the top of your head a current 4 inches of extended length (a good length for the slicked back undercut by the way) then you subtract 8 inches minus 4 inches which equals 4. Now multiply 4 by 2 and that is "8", meaning "8 months" for you to get to the goal of 8 inches of extended hair length that allows you to tie a proper man bun.

You could theoretically tie a man bun with 7 or even 6 inches, depending on the placement of the man bun on the head and the actual size of your head, but you would be seriously risking traction alopecia from having to pull too tight to tie the bun.

P.S. If you want to be pedantic with your barber, you can ask your barber for a 2-step Undercut, which is the exact Undercut haircut of Jake Gyllenhaal in Prisoners that you saw in our forum's guide. However, most barbers (especially hairdressers) have no idea how to do one, so simply ask for a regular Undercut with "smooth" edges.

P.S.S. You can also give yourself an Undercut, by the way. In fact, the Undercut is one of the easiest haircuts to give oneself as all you need is a good hair clipper and a single guard to clip the hair. Like you can see in the picture I posted earlier above, you just clip everything below that line on the back of the head that you can see (imagine the same line on the sides of your head).

If you want to be giving yourself different haircuts and Undercuts in the future, then it is a good idea to invest in a good hair clipper as you will save a lot of money from not having to visit the barber/hair salon to retouch the Undercut (you can retouch the Undercut with your hair clipper in only a couple of minutes. No need to pay for just a retouch). For a great hair clipper that will last you years and that comes with absolutely everything equipped (including guards), then get this Andis hair clipper which is cordless too and a pleasure to handle (you will be retouching your undercut every couple of days just to handle the clipper Big Grin).

You will also want to have a 3 panel mirror so that you can see your head in angles. If you have an extra big mirror at home then that's fine (just use it together with the bathroom's mirror). if not, then get this 3 panel mirror that is adjustable in different angles and that also magnifies for extra haircut precision (and it's also an awesome paneled mirror set for shaving!).

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
07-14-2014, 05:29 AM (This post was last modified: 07-14-2014 05:35 AM by flomer.)
(05-21-2014 08:12 AM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Flomer, I am with Vladimir..

Wow thank you for a very extensive and thorough reply! Also, I apologize for not checking the thread and responding sooner.

Regarding my hair, for prom I went to my hair dresser and she cut and styled my hair. We went with a more parted look with a slight undercut. The hair length on the top of my head was also cut shorter.

It's been about 2 months now since prom and I have just been letting my hair grow. On the top of my head it's about 12 cm/4.7 inches. So I guess in about 7-8 months I will have long enough hair for a nice man bun!

I am not sure if I will maintain the undercut during this process or not. Especially since my hair style for prom evened out the top of the head and sides a bit. But I do like the man bun style with an undercut - I guess I will have to make up my mind later on.

As I have been letting my hair grow, I have noticed that I have more wavy hair than I thought and it might even be slightly curly. Will this cause an issue in rocking a man bun?

Lastly, I have heard by some that every few months or so when my hair is longer I should get my hair thinned out (I have very thick hair) and trim split ends - is this true or not? Because others have told me to just let it grow and don't "touch it" until it is long enough. I was also told by the same people to take biotin supplements to increase growth rate and the improve the overall healthy of my hair - is there any truth to this statement?

Oh yeah, I will definitely consider picking up the book as it seems to include all the information about hair!

All the best,

Flomer
07-28-2014, 08:51 AM
I'm not necessarily a big fan of it, but I like unique stules
09-13-2014, 02:04 PM
I wanna grow a man bun! Smile
09-13-2014, 02:10 PM
its like 6 inches long atm.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Growing out my hair. Skyro 0 155 11-11-2016 06:14 AM
Last Post: Skyro
  Growing Shoulder Length Hair from Medium Hair, How Much Time? damon789 2 526 10-03-2016 09:37 AM
Last Post: The Hairstylist
  Hair Length Inconsistency and Haircut Advice (Growing Long Hair) tombanter 0 364 08-04-2016 09:44 AM
Last Post: tombanter
  Growing out wavy hair Acillatem123 0 549 05-17-2016 09:28 PM
Last Post: Acillatem123