Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Growing Long Hair, How to Get First Scissor Haircut!!
10-12-2015, 01:23 PM
Growing Long Hair, How to Get First Scissor Haircut!!
Hi,

I apologise for asking such silly questions, but I have only ever had very short hair in the past, which only require electrical trimmers to cut my hair.

I'm trying to grow my hair at the moment, it is not very long but it's getting there. I'd say it's around 1.5 - 2 inches long at the moment, but it's just looking a little scruffy and could do with a cut. Only problem is... I'm growing it.

So with it being pretty much my first scissor cut at the hair dressers, what should I be asking for?

Is there any such thing as asking the hair dresser to put some volume/texture in my hair, or is that not possible and more down the using products etc?

I have attached some photos of the type of hairstyles I am heading towards.

(It's not letting me post the images, I am going to message a mod with the images to attach, so please insert them here.)

My Hair Type: Fine (I think)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-23-2015, 09:11 AM
RE: First Scissor Cut!!!
I know I couldn't post a photo, so I will just leave that out for now.

Is there any such thing if I ask for my hairdresser to put some volume in my hair? Or would that be more down to the styling products?
10-25-2015, 07:53 AM
The best haircut for growing hair long is the one that suits your final length goal!
I've upgraded your account so that you can post pictures of your hair (you can either upload them directly on your post or upload the pictures on a free image hosting site and then post/embed the links here).

Yes, the first haircut when growing one's hair long is always a bit worrying. Mainly because you don't want the hairdresser to cut too much hair and undo your hair-growing efforts; unfortunately, hairdressers have a tendency to cut too much hair when you're not clear with your instructions of how much you want them to cut from your hair.

First of all, what kind of hair length are you aiming for? Likewise, what kind of hairstyle do you have in mind once you've reached your long-hair goal? Are you aiming for a man bun Undercut hairstyle where the hair on the sides and back of the head is kept very short (in a buzzed manner) while only the hair at the top is kept long? Or would you like all the hair on your had to be at the same length and thus fully hanging down?

Depending on your answer to the above two questions, you should emphasize one type of haircut or another. However, bear in mind that, as a rule of thumb, you should delay your hair-cutting as much as possible when growing your hair long from a very-short length as you're doing. This is because you're getting to know how your hair acts when it is longer, and you can learn some interesting stuff about your hair as it gets longer and it starts to hang down.

Male hair grows at about half an inch per month, and it's very easy for a hairdresser to cut a whole inch of your hair (and done in seconds). If you hadn't planned for your hair to be cut down by one inch, then that's a whole 2 months of hair-growing efforts wasted. So, it's very important to arrive at the hair salon with a clear goal of what you want your hair to look like once it is long.

Have a look at our long men's hair thread which includes plenty of long-hair pictures and advice. You will be able to gather enough inspiration from many different long hairstyles, which will in turn help you to decide which final hairstyle and hair length you'd like to achieve.

Lastly, when it comes to long men's hairstyles, achieving extra volume with a haircut alone isn't a doable practice. You can get some visually-enhanced extra volume with a medium-length haircut, but, for long hair, you will have to use a variety of men's hair thickening products for your growing hair as we've discussed in the link and which covers all kinds of thickening products, from shampoos to hair-mousse products.

As said, post as many pictures of your hair as you want to.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
10-26-2015, 11:57 AM (This post was last modified: 10-26-2015 12:00 PM by Kaboom.)
RE: Growing Long Hair, How to Get First Scissor Haircut!!
(10-25-2015 07:53 AM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  As said, post as many pictures of your hair as you want to.

Hi, thank you very much for your reply. It has been very helpful.

Thanks for activating my account, I will post some images bellow.

I would like something along the lines of these: But my hair is only around 2 inches long at the moment.

[Image: Plush%20Hairdressing-Short-Brown-straigh...styles.jpg]

[Image: mencut.jpg]

What should I ask for at the hair dressers? I am going this Friday. I kind of just need things neatening up a little I think, as my hair is starting to go over my ears a little.
10-26-2015, 12:00 PM
RE: Growing Long Hair, How to Get First Scissor Haircut!!
[Image: Best-Men’s-Short-Hairstyles-2014-2015-17.jpg]
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Growing out my hair. Skyro 0 148 11-11-2016 06:14 AM
Last Post: Skyro
  Knotted ,lifeless and quite long hair [Help] theboggart 0 129 11-06-2016 11:52 AM
Last Post: theboggart
  How to get long hair like Johnny Depp hairstyle Sonchek 3 456 10-26-2016 11:53 AM
Last Post: r3dzzz
  Growing Shoulder Length Hair from Medium Hair, How Much Time? damon789 2 523 10-03-2016 09:37 AM
Last Post: The Hairstylist