Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Grooming Tips for a Great Beard or Facial Hair Style
09-20-2014, 08:16 AM
Thumbs Up Grooming Tips for a Great Beard or Facial Hair Style
The following are some useful tips for a great beard or facial hair style. If you have a beard or any kind of facial hair style, or if you are simply interested in growing your facial hair, it is important to maintain it all properly trimmed and clean.

Combat Stubble

While the stubble look goes in and out of style frequently, stubble can make your facial hair look bad. Depending on the style of your beard, nothing makes your facial hair look unkempt like excess stubble. If you have a long beard, stubble on the neck will make people wonder if you gave up on trimming your beard. Similarly, if you have a goatee, not shaving daily to remove the stubble on your cheeks will make your facial hair look pretty awful. Consequently, shaving each day to remove stubble is a great tip for keeping your facial hair looking good.

Regular Maintenance is the Key

Many men grow facial hair because it is easier to maintain as you don't need to worry about shaving everyday. However, while growing a beard or mustache can reduce the amount of time you spend shaving, you should plan to spend time each day maintaining your facial hair. This can mean checking your facial hair each day and shaving to remove stubble or it might mean daily trimming. It all depends on the type of facial hair you grow. Nevertheless, some form of regular maintenance trimming is key to keeping your facial hair looking good.

Invest in the Proper Tools

If you are going to be trimming your facial hair regularly, you will need to invest in the proper tools. For any man growing facial hair, an absolutely essential tool is an electric beard trimmer. For the most part, they all work the same, so the brand doesn't matter much. I prefer ones that take rechargeable batteries, as they use less electricity than those that sit on a charger all day. However, the most important feature is that they have a removable and adjustable clipper guard that allows you to trim your facial hair to your desired length. You can also then remove the clipper guard for shaving. You will also want a pair of barber's scissors, as they will make trimming your mustache much easier.

Shampoo your Beard

My hunch is that most men don't shampoo their beards, which is a shame as shampooing your beard will restore its vibrancy and make your facial hair look great. For all the reasons that you shampoo your hair, you should also consider shampooing your beard. You will want to use a mild shampoo though, as the skin on your face is more sensitive than your scalp. If you have a longer beard, you may also want to consider using a mild conditioner as it will make trimming easier.

Comb your Facial Hair

Most people wouldn't think of combing their beard, but there are many benefits. A regular combing with a fine-tooth comb will remove small knots from your beard and keep your facial hair looking good, especially if you have a longer beard. In addition, combing your facial hair will make trimming easier, as it will ensure that the individual hairs are separated and that they are at their maximum length.

With the tips above, you will be well on your way towards keeping your facial hair looking good.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-20-2014, 11:09 AM
RE: Grooming Tips for a Great Beard or Facial Hair Style
Something to add that does compound the issue of not keeping a properly groomed beard is that in the United States, facial hair such as a beard often has connotations with being dirty and unkempt. This probably originates with popular forms of entertainment where villains are often portrayed with beards or mustaches or in the news media where mug shots of criminals sporting beards are commonplace. Similarly, common wisdom says that young men with facial hair are less trustworthy than those without, while in situations such as crossing a border or going through airport security, it often seems that those with beards are more likely to get stopped.

Of course, this bias against facial hair is just that, a bias. There is no reason to distrust a man with a beard, mustache, goatee, or other type of facial hair. However, the bias has its origins in the fact that many people see facial hair as unclean. This connotation of facial hair with dirtiness can be easily overcome by taking the time to keep your facial hair looking good. A man with a beard can be a good masculine sight, especially if the facial hair is properly maintained and matched with a properly maintained haircut. Regular trimming, shaving, and in some cases shaping can all be a key part of keeping your facial hair looking good.
01-14-2015, 10:57 PM
thanks for the tips
03-13-2015, 01:55 AM
Hi, my beard is very messy and looks incomplete, with rough patches etc.

You can see if you go to my hair journey.

Could anyone tell me how I can grow a fuller beard?

Should I get a beard groomer and shave down to a short stubble to allow my slower hairs to catch up?

Should I use oils/products?

Any help appreciated. Thanks!
04-01-2015, 04:22 PM
I have had a beard before beards were cool. My beard is about 12 inches long and if I don't use a balm, it is crazy. In my opinion, whether you beard is short or long, a good beard balm or oil is essential for a healthy soft, well shaped beard. For past few years I have brewed my own balm because I couldn't find a product that didn't smell like a Macy's perfume counter.
11-03-2015, 09:04 PM
Thank you for the well-explained tips!
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How to get a permanent stubble beard style? Machado 3 15,467 07-19-2016 07:59 AM
Last Post: beardlover
  Hipster Beard - How To Style, Tips, Pictures, Products and More TheMensHairForum 5 56,433 02-04-2016 01:10 PM
Last Post: Ubermensch
  What are some trendy beard styles? recommendations please Stevens 12 45,209 10-21-2015 03:22 PM
Last Post: newfoundbeardlove