Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good styling wax for curly hair?
03-29-2015, 06:11 AM
Good styling wax for curly hair?
Since I saw a similar question asked in the forum for another hair type, I wanted to ask what is a good styling wax for curly hair? The styling waxes that I have used for my curls just straight up stink. Sure they will shape my hair but in the process they will make my curls lose their curl shape and become some grotesque form between straight, wavy and coiled! haha

I don't have much experience with waxes though so it may be that I just need to find the right styling wax for curly hair. I'm interested in being able to shape my hairstyle a little but also make my curls stand out. My usual hairstyles are the shake and go and the afro, so they're very natural hairstyles.

Right now I'm using a curl creme and a leave in conditioner to style my curls. I'm looking to add more products to my range so I can vary the texture and look. It would be great if any of you had experience or knew of the best styling waxes for curly hair!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-29-2015, 08:27 AM (This post was last modified: 03-29-2015 08:32 AM by Bradley.)
RE: Good styling wax for curly hair?
I have to say that there are some rats hair styling waxes out there, no wonder that you had your curly hair all over the place. Waxes are used to shape the hair and increase texture so they aren't the best type of products for curly hair.

I think a styling cream like you mention you have and a leave-in conditioner are superior for medium length curly hair like you have. At least that's the hair length that is in your profile so I'm going to recommend waxes based on that particular hair length. Apologies if your hair length is longer or shorter! Smile

If you want high shine with moderate to high hold, I recommend you to have a look at the Gatsby hair styling waxes in this thread with reviews for the full range of the Gatsby moving rubber waxes. Go with the blue Gatsby wax, it's the one listed in that thread with the high shine.

If you're looking for a high hold with a matte finish, then just go with the Tigi bed head wax. A matte finish is a low shine, more like non-existent shine as a matte finish doesn't reflect light. This styling wax also gives a more natural look to your hair so it goes really well with curly hair as far as mens hair styling waxes are concerned.

So with the two styling waxes above you have both ends of the spectrum covered. You have a high shine and high hold styling wax and you have a matte and high hold styling wax.

Obviously if you're after a low hold styling product then you're looking in the wrong direction as the purpose of a hairstyling wax is to hold the hair in whatever hairstyle you have, so styling waxes have some hold at the very least. If you're looking for something similar to a low hold styling wax, then look into hair styling clay products.

I hope that helped you with your question on good hairstyling waxes for curly hair. If you need any more recommendations then let me know. But as far as curls and styling waxes go, those two waxes seal the deal very well. I also recommend you to go through the threads with the Gatsby wax reviews as the mods went through the rest of the Gatsby waxes and you may be interested in reading about them too.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What is a good Matte Hair Spray for men without shine? ThickHair93 2 234 09-21-2016 05:39 AM
Last Post: runstile
Smile Are there good products to dye your beard orange? Duaov 1 123 09-16-2016 04:55 AM
Last Post: r3dzzz
  Styling cream DaHansan 0 205 08-14-2016 04:53 AM
Last Post: DaHansan
  What styling hair products Jax Teller uses (Charlie Hunnam)? SAMCRO 11 35,589 07-19-2016 08:21 AM
Last Post: beardlover