Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good products for dry hair? Mens hair products discussion
10-08-2014, 09:26 AM
Good products for dry hair? Mens hair products discussion
I do know that dry hair is a common problem with men, so what do you guys in the forum recommend as good mens products for dry hair? I myself prefer to use a more natural approach and use sebum, water and oils which I know is also a popular method in this forum. But I am interested in discussing products in this thread.

Needless to say a good conditioner is a must to tame dry hair. But what brands out there do you recommend or what other mens products do you recommend for dry hair?

Greetings Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-08-2014, 10:07 AM
RE: Good products for dry hair? Mens hair products discussion
Your right about the conditioner. Many guys think that conditioners are only for women Tongue I see this all the time in our hair salon. Men with dry hair and where a conditioner is the perfect solution.

I think a moisturizing conditioner is the perfect product for dry hair. A brand I have seen in the forum is the Agadir moisturizing conditioner. I agree this is a really good product for dry hair. Its unisex, well hair products are unisex anyway.

For hairstyling products I tell our clients to go with a moisturizing hairstyling cream. A good one is the moroccan oil hydrating cream. Works very good in curly hair and also dry hair. You can style your hair and fight the dry hair. You get to kill 2 birds with one stone Smile

The conditioner and hairstyling cream I mentioned can be found in the sticky hair products thread and some other good brands too. For example the Suavecito pomade gives a wet look which sorts out the dry hair temporarily. I think that sticky hair products thread is one of the most useful threads in the forum because you have to weed out a lot of hair products before getting to the good ones and all the good ones are in that thread.
10-08-2014, 01:10 PM
Ok so I was posting a review of a product and have some more time for recommendations of products for dry hair Smile I do hope that its fine posting about so many brands. Like I always say with my experience, all hair products I mention are unisex so they are great for both men and women. After all this is a mens hair forum! Big Grin

Shampoo and conditioner that you can use daily without drying your hair out more is hard to find. John Frieda Root Awakening shampoo and John Frieda Root Awakening conditioner are great and they both go very well together. I always love when a shampoo lathers up good and this one does that with a minimal amount of shampoo. The conditioner is creamy and I like to leave it on for a few minutes to let it soak in especially on the ends where it seems to get extra dry. After about a week of using these the difference is noticeable. It smells good to clean and slightly minty. Both can be found at most drugstores for a low price each. And it's salon quality!

A leave in conditioner is something you should have around for use before you go out in the sun or heat style your hair especially if it is dry. Infusium 23 leave-in conditioner for chemically damaged hair is great even if you hair is not chemically damaged. It adds in that shine that dry hair lacks and protects it from damage. You can feel that your hair is softer immediately after using it.

A weekly or monthly treatment (epending on the dryness or damage) may be what you need to keep your hair looking and feeling it's best. Redken All Soft Heavy Cream Treatment is wonderful for this. You smooth it on your hair and leave it on your hair for about 20 minutes and then you wash it out. Once washed out your hair feels like you just got back from the hairdresser and it gives you a lot of natural healthy shine to your hair. It's not the cheapest product but it's not super expensive like other hair mask products. Best place to buy it is on Amazon as it is way more expensive in beauty stores.

Some fantastic styling products for dry hair are: Big Sexy Hair Blow Dry Volumizing gel. This gel is good for thinner mens hair as it allows you to add a more volume to your hair when you use it with a blow dryer. And it is time you guys wake up and more of you start owning a hair dryer!! You can achieve some amazing volume results with a hair dryer which means you have more options for your hairstyles Cool

Unlike other gels, the Big Sexy Hair Blow Dry Volumizing gel does not leave your hair sticky even when blow drying, and I have to say that the bottle is very appealing to my rock star side. The smell is fine too and not artificial or too smelly like some of the other volumizing gels.

As for hair sprays Phyto Spray Laque hairspray is made especially for dry hair and it is very light without leaving your hair super stiff.

That's me done with the recommendations Big Grin Big Grin Next post.

Elena
10-14-2014, 12:25 PM
IN my opinion dry hair is caused due to damage to the hair strands. So if you can avoid the damage or somehow repair it then you are on your way to fighting the dry hair. Also dry hair is frizzy hair so you have a double issue there to fight.

Shampoo and condition with the damage in mind.

I've been incredibly pleased with Dove's line of hair care products, especially when it comes to revitalizing my hair after a long winter which is when usually damage occurs from the dryness of air in cold locations, wearing hats to combat the cold, changes in temperature with warm and cold etc.

Shampoo such as their Dove Intensive Damage Therapy Shampoo is designed with damaged hair in mind, and can help rejuvenate hair that's been damaged by over styling or the weather. Follow it up with the Dove Intensive Damage Therapy Conditioner, too.

Stop blowdrying daily.

Don't blowdry your hair every day. Over styling and over drying are some of the main culprits for damaged hair and dry hair. Instead let your hair air dry every once in awhile, and when you do have to dry it with a hair dryer, use low heat and be sure to keep the hair dryer far enough away from your hair (about arms length or one foot) so that it doesn't get caught and so that you give enough distance for the air to lose some of the heat by the time it reaches your hair.

Protect your hair when you style it.

Do you use a hair straightener often? There's no harm in styling your hair with a hair straightener frequently, as long as you protect your hair. Consider a product such as the Tresemme tamer that you can find in the forums hair straightener posts and which can help take the curl and frizz out of your hair, resulting in a smoother, shinier, and straighter style when you are finished.

Look for products that are light and non-greasy.

Products such as Biosilk Silk Polish are non-greasy and are great choices for styling either wet or dry hair. Add shine to your hair, control your frizz, and keep a style in place without damaging your hair. Products that aren't greasy are able to add shine to your hair without making it look like you skipped the shower in the morning.

Invest in quality styling tools (especially hair straighteners and hair dryers).

You might save a good deal of money by purchasing an inexpensive store-brand hair dryer or straightener, but the damage you may do to your hair isn't worth it in the long run. You will spend twice as long to straighten your hair with a cheap hair straightener, and end up tugging on and damaging your hair more than is necessary. One way to get (and keep) your shine is to spend the money on a quality hair tool from the get go. There's a reason that CHI and GHD are two of the top brands for hair styling tools and they are not cheap at all.

By purchasing the right hair styling tools and products, protecting your hair, and remembering not to over style, you can help keep your hair moisturized, shiny, fresh, frizz-free, and undamaged.
10-17-2014, 04:52 PM
SOme of my thoughts and a tip on dry hair. Many of us deal with dry hair, whether we have short hair or long hair, dark hair or light hair, we all know that when hair gets dry it loses its glow, its shine and it looks dull and dead. We all want healthy lustrous hair, but most of us can't afford to hair Hollywood treatment for our hair.

If you have looked into caring for your dry, brittle hair you have probably found that there are hundreds of products out there who claim they can help, and none of them are very cheap. One of them is of course, a hot oil treatment that is actually quite useful for men with dull hair or hair that is damaged or isn;t responding to regular hair care.

The least expensive "hot oil" treatment around (which promises healthy shinny hair) is $15 or so for a small little bottle, the bottle recommends 2 bottles for long hair, and the bottle states for very dry hair you should use it every week, $30 every week! That is just crazy, and the prices only go up from there, salon treatment can cost as much as $200 (you know that well Elena ha¡)! No wonder so many of us suffer from dry hair, who can afford to care for it? Big Grin

We could wear hats all the time, or never go in a chlorine pool, we could all stop dying our hair... but those aren't real options for most of us. I have long hair which takes a beating from the sun, chlorine, the salt ocean water, twisted up in hair ties, pulled by all kinds of things and even blow dried it and ironed it at the beginning only though. I have done it all to these poor locks of mine but they haven't lost their shine and glow because I have a secret, and my secret don't cost a thing!

Here is my secret. Any guys can use it for their hair, it just so happens that for long hair is almost a must use product, yes even for us dudes.

Once a week I give myself a "deep condition treatment" AT HOME. No expensive salon for me. I wash my hair, then let warm water run through it, I then put a generous amount of conditioner on it, and than rather than rinse it out I just wrap my hair up in a towel for about an hour. I than rinse it out with cool water.

In the summer month when the sun and pool water is making my hair extra dry about once a month I give myself a "hot oil treatment" AT HOME again. No expensive product for me. I wash my hair, let warm water run through it, I then put room temperature olive oil on my hair, leave it on for about 20 minutes and than rinse it out with cool water.

The results from both of these are wonderful, the salon look without the salon price. Hoping this tip for dry hair doesn't kill any of business of you salon owners lol
11-16-2014, 05:26 AM
(10-17-2014 04:52 PM)Long Mane Wrote:  SOme of my thoughts and a tip on dry hair. Many of us deal with dry hair, whether we have short hair or long hair, dark hair or light hair, we all know that when hair gets dry it loses its glow, its shine and it looks dull and dead. We all want healthy lustrous hair, but most of us can't afford to hair Hollywood treatment for our hair.

If you have looked into caring for your dry, brittle hair you have probably found that there are hundreds of products out there who claim they can help, and none of them are very cheap. One of them is of course, a hot oil treatment that is actually quite useful for men with dull hair or hair that is damaged or isn;t responding to regular hair care.

The least expensive "hot oil" treatment around (which promises healthy shinny hair) is $15 or so for a small little bottle, the bottle recommends 2 bottles for long hair, and the bottle states for very dry hair you should use it every week, $30 every week! That is just crazy, and the prices only go up from there, salon treatment can cost as much as $200 (you know that well Elena ha¡)! No wonder so many of us suffer from dry hair, who can afford to care for it? Big Grin

We could wear hats all the time, or never go in a chlorine pool, we could all stop dying our hair... but those aren't real options for most of us. I have long hair which takes a beating from the sun, chlorine, the salt ocean water, twisted up in hair ties, pulled by all kinds of things and even blow dried it and ironed it at the beginning only though. I have done it all to these poor locks of mine but they haven't lost their shine and glow because I have a secret, and my secret don't cost a thing!

Here is my secret. Any guys can use it for their hair, it just so happens that for long hair is almost a must use product, yes even for us dudes.

Once a week I give myself a "deep condition treatment" AT HOME. No expensive salon for me. I wash my hair, then let warm water run through it, I then put a generous amount of conditioner on it, and than rather than rinse it out I just wrap my hair up in a towel for about an hour. I than rinse it out with cool water.

In the summer month when the sun and pool water is making my hair extra dry about once a month I give myself a "hot oil treatment" AT HOME again. No expensive product for me. I wash my hair, let warm water run through it, I then put room temperature olive oil on my hair, leave it on for about 20 minutes and than rinse it out with cool water.

The results from both of these are wonderful, the salon look without the salon price. Hoping this tip for dry hair doesn't kill any of business of you salon owners lol
Hi Long Mane
I am replying on behalf of my family. Son lives in Australia with long hair. Daughter lives in Rotterdam with curly shoulder length hair and me & MH live in Wales, both with straight hair.
We all use Pro-Naturals. Son only uses the Pro Naturals Moroccan Argan Oil leave in conditioner. Daughter says to give you a tip re chlorine. She swims daily and sails at weekends. She wets her hair thoroughly with fresh water, applies a small amount of the Argan Oil to her hair and pops it all under a cap this seems to protect the hair from the chlorine and she does it before going out sailing but she just puts her hair under a hat. I use the Pro Naturals Hair Repair System 4-step regime for one week in every six and my hair is great. MH only uses the shampoo, conditioner and Argan Oil, but daily.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Good shampoo for damaged hair and healthy straightened curls? red05five 0 53 11-20-2016 01:56 PM
Last Post: red05five
  Best hair styling wax for Asian men hair? Cool Hair Guy 8 24,695 11-07-2016 11:30 PM
Last Post: aliu123
  Looking for new products, requiring some advice (pics at the end) Magikarp_Approves 0 83 11-06-2016 04:05 PM
Last Post: Magikarp_Approves
  Mens Hair Products: Quick Useful 101 Guide The Hairstylist 2 313 10-26-2016 09:54 AM
Last Post: A London Barber