Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Good hairstyle products to style thinning hair?
05-17-2014, 03:36 PM
Question Good hairstyle products to style thinning hair?
What would you experts say are good hairstyle products to style thinning hair? and what brands do you recommend for gel, pomade or wax? or it may be some other type of product that is better for styling?
Would you say that the use of products depends on the stage of hair loss? I am talking about the norwood scale.

I already know which products are working for me but I am more interested in knowing if there are any exceptions or very specific products to have in mind.
Would really appreciate sum recommendations please.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-21-2014, 07:16 AM
RE: Good hairstyle products to style thinning hair?
Vladimir, this is my third question of yours that I am answering, you owe me a couple of beers Big Grin

OK, so the answer to your question is yes and no. No because men with thinning hair and/or balding hair can use just about any hairstyling hair products they want. After all, hair is hair, and it's just the amount and circumference that differs between men with thinning hair and men with non-thinning hair.

Now, a big YES is due to the fact that certain hair styling products are bound to enhance the hair and help with making the hair look more aesthetic when one is balding and thinning. Mainly you want to use a hair mousse (preferably with hair dryer), a hair wax and hair spray.

The hair mousse works great to add volume to hair, and it works eve better when you use a hair dryer too (so you coat the hair in the hair mousse, then style while pointing the hair dryer towards the hair). Without a doubt you want to have a hair mousse for your styling products if you're thinning. This hair mousse is specifically designed for creating volume, so make sure to always have a bottle of the product at hand. Ideally, also have a good hair dryer that enhances hair volume without creating frizz, although these kind of hair dryers are not cheap (the one we usually recommend is this hair dryer as it's really good for just about anything you throw at it).

For hair wax, a casual styling wax that avoids a wet effect is the best wax for thinning hair. Without a doubt, get and use this hair wax which gives a nice matte non-wet look to the hair with a good hold for any hairstyles requiring hold (like a brush up or quiff). You can also use the hair dryer above with the styling wax in the link for enhanced hair volume.

Last but not least, it is always imperative to have a good hair spray as men with thinning hair usually have an issue with hair that moves from the fixed hairstyle shape, so if you're using a hairstyle to, for example, smooth your receding hairline, then if the hair moves out of shape, then you lose any smoothing effect at the hairline. A hair spray allows you to seal your hair into whatever hairstyle you want that best suits your thinning hair. For a great all-round hair spray that doesn't leave your hair hard like cardboard, go with this hair spray.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
08-04-2014, 10:58 PM
(05-21-2014 07:16 AM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Vladimir, this is my third question of yours that I am answering, you owe me a couple of beers Big Grin

OK, so the answer to your question is yes and no. No because and/or balding hair can use just about any hairstyling hair products they want. After all, hair is hair, and it's just the amount and circumference that differs between men with thinning hair and men with non-thinning hair.

Now, a big YES is due to the fact that certain hair styling products are bound to enhance the hair and help with making the hair look more aesthetic when one is balding and thinning. Mainly you want to use a hair mousse (preferably with hair dryer), a hair wax and hair spray.

The hair mousse works great to add volume to hair, and it works eve better when you use a hair dryer too (so you coat the hair in the hair mousse, then style while pointing the hair dryer towards the hair). Without a doubt you want to have a hair mousse for your styling products if you're thinning. is specifically designed for creating volume, so make sure to always have a bottle of the product at hand. Ideally, also have a good hair dryer that enhances hair volume without creating frizz, although these kind of hair dryers are not cheap (the one we usually recommend is as it's really good for just about anything you throw at it).

For hair wax, a casual styling wax that avoids a wet effect is the best wax for thinning hair. Without a doubt, get and use this hair wax[/url] which gives a nice matte non-wet look to the hair with a good hold for any hairstyles requiring hold (like a You can also use the hair dryer above with the styling wax in the link for enhanced hair volume.

Last but not least, it is always imperative to have a good hair spray as men with thinning hair usually have an issue with hair that moves from the fixed hairstyle shape, so if you're using a hairstyle to, for example, smooth your receding hairline, then if the hair moves out of shape, then you lose any smoothing effect at the hairline. A hair spray allows you to seal your hair into whatever hairstyle you want that best suits your thinning hair. For a great all-round hair spray that doesn't leave your hair hard like cardboard, go with this hair spray.
Hi,
Does it have to be that dryer? I'm looking into the 30 dollar I believe Remmington that is being thrown around. I'm looking to mouse up and use a hairdryer, that's a good tip. I thought you were supposed to mouse up afterwards. The hairspray thing I totally overlooked too!
Kind of separate, is their a directory on how to use a hair dryer?
08-04-2014, 11:00 PM
(05-21-2014 07:16 AM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Vladimir, this is my third question of yours that I am answering, you owe me a couple of beers Big Grin

It didnt reply correctly before sorry about that!
08-08-2014, 05:46 AM
Excelent thread, the point about the hairspray is what I have been missing for sure!
08-08-2014, 08:52 AM
(08-04-2014 10:58 PM)guyverman Wrote:  Hi,
Does it have to be that dryer? I'm looking into the 30 dollar I believe remmington that is being thrown around. I'm looking to mouse up and use a hairdryer, thats a good tip. I thought you were supposed to mouse up afterwards. The hairspray thing I totally overlooked too!
Kind of separate, is their a directory on how to use a hair dryer?

Actually, we are working on a guide on how to use a hair dryer. You can find a great guide on how to use a hair dryer in this guide from ManlyCurls.com where it even tells you what distance to use etc The guide is made of two parts, and this here is the second part to the guide. It's an excellent guide for guys who want to learn how to use a hair dryer.

However, don't sweat it. Using a hair dryer (aka blowdryer) for men is very intuitive. Just apply the product on damp (not wet!) hair and style your mane as you keep the hair dryer pointed towards the section of the head that you're styling. Ideally use your fingers to style the hair, only use a comb (if at all), once you have blow dried your hair.

With regards to how long to blow dry your hair for or what temperature to choose, that is highly customized and will depend on your preferences. As a rule of thumb though, try to use the hair dryer for the least amount of time to style your hair, choose the coldest temperature setting (although you will have to play with temperature for best results) and use a diffuser if possible. A diffuser is a clip-in accessory that, once clipped, allows you to get a more even distribution of the air flow, which is good if you are styling your hair casually or if you have curly hair (the latter so as to avoid frizzy curls).

Since you have mentioned Remington (a good brand for hair dryers) and the approximate amount of 30 bucks, then a good hair dryer that already includes a diffuser would be THIS one here, which has both the diffuser (which you simply clip in if you want to use) and also has a concentrating nozzle. A concentrating nozzle (aka concentrator) allows you to pinpoint the blown air from the hair dryer into a very specific area of your head, so a concentrator is certainly useful. That hair dryer in the link is perfect for you in terms of usability and price.

Lastly, and since I have mentioned the ManlyCurls site, Rogelio (owner of that site) wrote The Men's Hair Book which is a book that we highly recommend in this forum as it goes as far as to cover the use of hairstyling tools for men, including hair dryers, hair straighteners, hair relaxers and more. Out of all mens hair products, The Men's Hair Book is the only one that will actually pay back as the knowledge you will learn from that book is priceless and will help you massively towards obtaining aesthetic hair.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
08-15-2014, 10:26 PM
You're too helpful!
Quick question. I used a Moroccan oil mousse + blowdryer the first time and my wavy hair was unbelievably soft, I could whip it around, and fell down my face like I had straight hair it was perfect!
However I was never able to replicate this first time use. Granted the first time I used it I finally fixed my hair care regimen, conditioner three times a week and maybe shampoo once a week. To this day my hair was never as good as the first time I moussed up and blow dried it. I tried again two days later.
08-16-2014, 10:06 AM
(08-15-2014 10:26 PM)guyverman Wrote:  Your too helpful!
Quick question. I used a morrocon oil mousse + blowdryer the first time and my wavy hair was unbelievably soft, I could whip it around, and fell down my face like I had straight hair it was perfect!
However I was never able to replicate this first time use. Granted the first time I used it I finally fixed my hair care regimen, conditioner three times a week and maybe shampoo once a week. To this day my hair was never as good as the first time I moussed up and blow dried it. I tried again two days later.

The trick is in the hair care, no the hair styling! This is something that not many men know, and it is is the reason why we so highly recommend reading the book The Men's hair Book because that book has all the hair care and grooming you need. Without a good hair care, you will never make the most of your hairstyles as you rightly experienced.

You should be able to get the same smooth waves by resuming your hair care. A three times per week conditioner frequency is a good frequency, so make sure to also be doing the sebum coating method as it helps a lot too.

Feel free to start a thread asking hair care questions for your specific case if you happen to be experiencing some trouble regaining that effect.

Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Best Hair Products for Men - Epic List TheMensHairForum 116 245,974 09-24-2016 10:06 AM
Last Post: JewFro
  Hair products for messy hairstyles Anton 10 35,670 03-03-2016 09:57 AM
Last Post: Doworkgetbig
  Best hair products for slicked back hairstyle Lordius 14 204,443 11-05-2015 11:26 AM
Last Post: ad4mkoala
  Hair clippers for men, any good ones? Zorba 25 225,876 05-31-2015 09:59 AM
Last Post: Bradley