Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Good hair products for the slicked back undercut?
03-06-2014, 11:14 AM
Good hair products for the slicked back undercut?
I've seen a lot of undercuts in the forum that look great and one is the slicked back undercut. What hair products do you recommend for the slicked back undercut? I am genuinely interested and I know you guys know the exact potions to us for all these new age styles haha

I have been using Murrays pomade for some slicking but I want to change it to a better pomade. I create another thread on this but IME a pomade should be a good product for the slicked undercut simply because it is a good product for combing the hair back without the undercut haircut. I am talking of oily pomades or the newer ones that are less oily and water based.

I dont have experience with this actual hairstyle so I would really appreciate if you could recommend some hair products for the slicked back undercut.

Thanks!!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-06-2014, 05:13 PM
RE: Good hair products for the slicked back undercut?
James, the slick back undercut does certainly go very well with pomade, although it goes best with a water based pomade that doesn't lock the hair so strongly like the old-school pomades (oil based) do. Likewise you can use a styling cream, and I do in fact recommend a styling cream for men with the hair types of coiled to kinky curly hair. So basically, if your hair is very curly, a styling cream will work better.

When it comes to slicking, the method we have created in this forum divides the slicking as a hairstyle into 2 types: classic and modern (have a look at our slicked back undercut guide for more). Basically what this means is that with classic slicking you're looking for a flat and strongly held slicked back while with modern slicking, you're looking for some volume on the hair and a bit more freedom for the hair instead of being tightly held like in the classic slick.

This is what classic slicking looks like:

[Image: OCLJEwQ.jpg]

On the other hand, this is what modern slicking looks like.

[Image: Ite1xGA.jpg]

The above is our slicking method and system. You may find your barber refers to those kind of slicking with other names but so far our system is doing fellow forum members real good Smile

The hair products

Like I said above, the pomade products for the slicked back undercut should best be water based. In this case, I recommend the following (click the links for more):
  • This water based pomade: great for classic slicking where you're looking for a flat and tightly-held style in the slicked back. It also has a little shine too like the old-school pomades, yet this pomade is easier to wash and less heavy on the hair.
  • This other water based pomade: this other pomade is great for modern slicking. With the pomade in the link, you can give some volume to your hair and make the slick back more casual. You can also use a hair dryer to create volume (see below).
If I were you I would buy both pomades if you don't have experience with either. They both are interchangeable although, as per the description I have just given you, one works better for the classic version an the other one for the modern version.

Now, for styling creams, the those are better than pomades when it comes to curly hair. For that, I highly recommend this styling cream which works great for curly hair in just about all styles, including slicking the hair back (although bear in mind that a modern slick is preferable to a classic slick for curly hair!)

Hair clipper

The undercut in the slick back is very easy to do. All you need is a good hair clipper and possibly an extra mirror, and just clip all your hair from below the temple horizontal line as sen in this picture of Michael Pitt as Jimmy Darmody (which I saw you posted in our Undercut thread Smile):

[Image: bdea3b57db22b1a44215b7ee21d3db41.jpg]

As you can see above, anything below the the line that starts at the temple is clipped. All you need is to use the same length of your clipper (a #1, #2 or #3 work great) and that's your Undercut done. However, and I cannot stress this enough, you must own a good hair clipper!

When it comes to good hair clippers, in the forum we highly recommend this Wahl clipper and this Oster clipper. Both clippers are premium clippers of excellent quality an will last you years.

This Andis clipper (click link to see) is cordless and awesome, it will clip through the thickest hair as it has a powerful motor. Out of all cordless clipper, the Andis one is top, and it even comes with a full set of guiding combs and a hard case, so you don't have to buy anything extra.

This Oster clipper (click link to see) is not cordless (so needs to be plugged in) but nonetheless it's a great clipper and a barber's classic. Since it costs less than the Andis clipper above, I highly recommend it if you're looking for a more affordable clipper. However, don't forget to buy this extra set of guiding combs so that you have lots of lengths to choose from to clip your hair.

Hair dryer

A hair dryer (aka blow dryer) is a good option if you want to go for the more volume modern slicking. While not really needed, you can get different ranges of volume on the slick by simply pointing the hair dryer to the hair as you slick back. A hair dryer is also great for lots of other styles such as Quiffs, brush ups, side parts, messy hair, medium length hair and long hair, so look at a hair dryer as more of an investment with plenty of uses for you.

For a high quality premium hair dryer, this one here is a solid choice. On the other hand, if that one is too pricey or you want to get the clipper above so have to cut down a bit on how much to spend on the hair dryer, then this other hair dryer is a great-value choice.

Any more questions, feel free to shoot them Smile

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
02-10-2015, 04:51 PM
(03-06-2014 11:14 AM)James Wrote:  I've seen a lot of undercuts in the forum that look great and one is the slicked back undercut. What hair products do you recommend for the slicked back undercut? I am genuinely interested and I know you guys know the exact potions to us for all these new age styles haha

I have been using Murrays pomade for some slicking but I want to change it to a better pomade. I create another thread on this but IME a pomade should be a good product for the slicked undercut simply because it is a good product for combing the hair back without the undercut haircut. I am talking of oily pomades or the newer ones that are less oily and water based.

I dont have experience with this actual hairstyle so I would really appreciate if you could recommend some hair products for the slicked back undercut.

Thanks!!

Hey James!

Just got my hair cut so I can do the whole Disconnected Undercut" thing that everyone is doing and looks SO hot... Doing my research on what to use, pomade seems to be the produce of choice. The question then becomes "Which one?" It seems (and the reply to your post which I read here...) that the best choices are between Suavecito and Layrite. As I asked in another post, MY question is: which do I want for a wet look?? From what I gather, both will provide a good amount of holding power.
02-12-2015, 08:37 AM
(02-10-2015 04:51 PM)SteveMcG Wrote:  Hey James!

Just got my hair cut so I can do the whole Disconnected Undercut" thing that everyone is doing and looks SO hot... Doing my research on what to use, pomade seems to be the produce of choice. The question then becomes "Which one?" It seems (and the reply to your post which I read here...) that the best choices are between Suavecito and Layrite. As I asked in another post, MY question is: which do I want for a wet look?? From what I gather, both will provide a good amount of holding power.

As a rule of thumb when it comes two Suavecito's and Layrite's water-based pomades: use Suavecito for the wet look (that isn't shiny). And use the Layrite for high shine.

In this case, you'd go with the second pomade in my previous post (my post above yours, Steve!) Smile

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Best Hair Products for Men - Epic List TheMensHairForum 116 247,418 09-24-2016 10:06 AM
Last Post: JewFro
  Hair products for messy hairstyles Anton 10 35,809 03-03-2016 09:57 AM
Last Post: Doworkgetbig
  Best hair products for slicked back hairstyle Lordius 14 204,974 11-05-2015 11:26 AM
Last Post: ad4mkoala
  Hair clippers for men, any good ones? Zorba 25 226,069 05-31-2015 09:59 AM
Last Post: Bradley