Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good High Hold with High Shine hair styling wax?
03-27-2015, 03:33 PM
Good High Hold with High Shine hair styling wax?
Currently my hairstyle is basically a Quiff and I have medium length hair but I'm growing it longer. I've probably gone through $100s of hair products trying to find the perfect one, I've come close but still not where I want it. Just bought a blow dryer and a straightener and this got me the closest to what I want than any product I've tried.

My hair is light brown but gets almost black when wet, I'm trying to capture the darker color with a shinier product. Thanks to this site, I've tried some previous recommendations and have come really close!

Best products I've used so far are:
  • Purple Gatsby Wild Shake: Perfect hold, texture, with decent natural shine(closest I've come)
  • Aussie Mens Texturizing Wax (multiple companies sell it): Hold is OK, texture is insane with a decent natural shine to it.
I've tried the pink and blue Gatsby moving rubber products. Pink is matte and blue comes off like a gel but it has enough hold to work, it just clumps my hair though.

Right now I style with the Gatsby purple wild shake and take a TINY amount of American Crew Pomade and try to touch up the hair to add enough shine to it.

Are there any other wax recommendations that have shine to them? Would it be better for me to use hairspray to finish it off?

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-29-2015, 08:08 AM
RE: Good High Hold with High Shine hair styling wax?
I see that you tried that Gatsby wax, I agree that's as close as you're going to get with the products you have tried. However I'm surprised that you haven't tried their super shine pomade, it's the blue one. That's the Gatsby wax that the mods in the forum recommend for high shine. The hold isn't as great as the purple Gatsby wax, but the shine is the highest they have. I would recommend it if you're looking for high shine first, then a medium to strong hold as a second requirement.

If you're interested in the full product reviews of the Gatsby waxes, there is a thread in the forum going thru all of them. See this thread for all the reviews of the Gatsby styling waxes.

Other styling waxes with high shine and high hold are:
  • Osis + Wax It Shine.
  • Redken 03 Water Wax Pomade, this one has the same properties of a wax despite being labeled a pomade.
Both are pretty affordable styling waxes with high shine and high hold. I'm sure a mod can hook you up with a good source for them as these two waxes can be expensive if you buy them from stores. Usually the guys here know which are the best online vendors to get the products from, so wait till they post if they read this thread.

Most styling waxes have a matte finish or a low to medium shine. That's the problem and why you're limited in terms of options. What I'd do is also look into the new water pomades that have high hold and that are also high in shine. Pomades are the products to look for if you're looking for shine, as the older oil pomades where all about slick and shine, and this is what the newer water pomades offer without the grease.

I would seriously consider the pomade option too. If you're interested then try the Star Wax pomade that pretty much acts as a styling wax and gives you a high shine and high hold without the slick. It's more of a wet look with shiny hair. I think you would like that product if we go by your requirements. Worth a shot although it isn't as cheap as the other waxes I recommended above.

Cheers!
03-30-2015, 10:36 AM
These are the 4 high-shine hair styling products with a strong hold we recommend.
Bradley has gone through some of the best high-hold and high-shine hair styling waxes.

Another type of product that I would recommend to you is the newer water-based pomade. Some water-based pomades have the ability to work like a styling wax while keeping the high shine and strong hold of a classic pomade, since these 2 attributes (high shine/strong hold) are the foundation of the traditional pomade. With water-based pomades, however, you get a product that is very easy to wash and that allows you to either slick your hair cleanly or shape and define your hair as if it were a styling wax that you were using.

I would recommend the following high-shine, high-hold hairstyling products for what you want to do:
  • Get THIS styling wax: this wax in the link is the precise Osis + Wax It Shine styling wax that Bradley mentioned. As far as high-shine styling waxes with a strong hold go, the wax in the link is a great wax to buy.
  • Get THIS pomade: this pomade in the link is water based and it acts as a styling wax with high shine and a high hold. It also provides slick as per its pomade properties, so you will be able to style your hair with plenty of shine that looks slicked and wet. The fact that this pomade has a strong hold too makes the pomade a no-brainer hairstyling product to buy!
  • Get THIS styling cream: this particular styling cream also acts as the type of high-shine and high-hold styling wax that you want. You will be getting very similar results to the water-based pomade in the previous link, only that you won't be getting as much slick. But you will still be achieving plenty of the shine that you need, especially if you use this styling cream with damp hair.
  • Get THIS pomade: this pomade in the link is a water-based pomade and is the one from Redken that Bradley also recommended. I too think it's a great product for your particular hairstyling requirements. Again, this specific pomade in the link acts as a styling wax with high-shine and a strong hold. You will be able to texturize your hair with layers, spikes, messy locks and any other strong-hold hairstyles that you can think of.
The above 4 products will go great with your needs. Most styling waxes share a matte element (i.e. they don't give shine), which is why you need to dig deep to find the styling gems that will suit your hairstyling requirements.

In this case, the 3 products that I've recommended in the links above that aren't a textbook styling wax do still behave as styling waxes and will get you the same results as such. Since good high-shine, strong-hold styling waxes aren't as easy to find as one would think, I certainly believe that the range of products I've gone through in the list above will fill in the space quite nicely for such strong-hold high-shine hairstyling needs of yours! Smile

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
03-30-2015, 12:12 PM
RE: Good High Hold with High Shine hair styling wax?
I think you got some petty good advice and I could not think of anything else to add.

It's true that styling waxes tend to be low shine or matte, they were made as the alternative to the flood of high shine gel and pomades. Everyone was getting sick of the brilliantine products and similar products so along came the styling waxes and styling clays to allow men to shape and style their hair without looking like their hair is made of reflecting mirrors.

The products the guys above recommend will work for you. I suggest you have a look at the water based pomades that admin recommended as it's true that those types of pomade work very well for hair styling with lots of shine. I've used the Redken one and I was happy with the results it gave me.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Good shampoo for damaged hair and healthy straightened curls? red05five 0 54 11-20-2016 01:56 PM
Last Post: red05five
  Best hair styling wax for Asian men hair? Cool Hair Guy 8 24,737 11-07-2016 11:30 PM
Last Post: aliu123
  What is a good Matte Hair Spray for men without shine? ThickHair93 2 375 09-21-2016 05:39 AM
Last Post: runstile
Smile Are there good products to dye your beard orange? Duaov 1 159 09-16-2016 04:55 AM
Last Post: r3dzzz