Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Getting A Messy Shaggy Haircut
03-22-2014, 05:23 AM
Getting A Messy Shaggy Haircut
Heyy guys just need some advice on having my haircut, (I'm probably overthinking it) but I've never had a hairstyle like this before, I've been growing it for a while bout 2-3 months, the hairstyle I'm going for is a shaggy messy haircut with lots of layers on the side and back then a quiff or a fauxhawk on top, the style is based on Real Madrid Fabio Coentrao (I've discussed on his thread the hairstyle and posted two photos that I will be probably be using as a reference)

Getting my haircut this week and just wondering what to tell them exactly, any help would be appreciated
I won't be getting it streaked or highlighted yet, once I've nailed the hairstyle down then I will start thinking about it

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-22-2014, 11:50 AM
RE: Getting A Messy Shaggy Haircut
Hey Shane, can you post pictures of your current hair state so it can help us giving you feedback?

For what is worth, we are almost ready to open a new blogging section for forum members to document their journeys as I think cases like yours are really suited for keeping a blog so we can give you feedback or you can update your hair's state. Nothing major, just updating on hair growth, new haircuts and styles so you can receive professional feedback.

But, back to your question, other than possibly posting one or two pictures of your hair so we can see better what you have, what is your current hair length?

If you're referring to the 2 pictures of Fabio Coentrao you posted in the Fabio Coentrao hairstyles thread, then let me see what I can advice. These are the pictures you posted and which I believe you are referring to:

[Image: coentrao-2012.jpg]

[Image: coentrao.jpg]

In these pictures, Fabio Coentrao's haircut is more of a hairstylist/hair salon work, so make sure to hit a salon rather than a barbershop for this haircut. I suggest you print out those pictures to take to the salon (or simply take pictures with your phone and show them there or even take your laptop if you have one, lots of guys do that these days).

Ask for a medium length shaggy haircut and emphasize to the hairdresser that you want to keep a messy (out of bed) look. The cut they will give you will emphasize the tousled/messy look so it's important that you emphasize that about the haircut and what your styling goal is. This haircut is a specialized one so you need to visit a good hair professional, ideally a hairstylist or hairdresser in a modern hair salon (and even one specializing in women's haircuts). By the way, there's nothing wrong with visiting such hair salons, although hopefully more and more barbers will catch up faster to the more modern mens haircuts and the barbershop industry can take off from its recession!

Because the hairstyle goal here is a messy style, tell them that you want the hair on the hairline (sideburns, ears and nape) to "go over" the hairline, meaning that the hair will be allowed to grow instead of get trimmed or clipped. Essentially, most hairstylists (and barbers) have a tendency to try to clean up the hair on the hairline unless you tell them so otherwise. You will have to describe the actual length you want to go over the hairline, which I am eyeballing is 1.5 - 2 inches. This is why it is important that you show them those 2 pictures, as it is much better for the hairdresser to know exactly what to do by looking at the pictures instead of you giving them the instructions (especially if you are not acquainted with the haircut/hairstyle yet). I can tell you that if a good hairdresser/stylists sees those 2 pictures, they won't even have to take your guidelines and will only ask for your desired length Smile

So, in summary:
  • Take both pictures to the hair salon. Print them, take pictures with your phone or take your laptop/Ipad/whatever. When it comes to this haircut, you need the hairdresser to have visual references as the haircut is not just a regular taper.
    |
  • Ask for a medium length shaggy haircut.
    |
  • If they ask what length you want, say 2 inches (which if you see our hair length guide is the bare minimum for a medium length). You can ask for longer on the top while keeping the hair over the hairline at 2 inches (but the hair on the top should only be up to 4 inches in length as that's the maximum length at which a shag can hold up well).
    |
  • Emphasize that you want to achieve a messy (out of bed) look. This way, the hairdresser will trim accordingly (use layering shears and mold the hair to your skull shape)
    |
  • Tell them you want the hair to go over the hairline. I recommend that you specifically mention the hairline of the sideburns, ears and nape as the hairdresser may otherwise think you're talking of a simple (forehead) fringe.
    |
  • When mentioning the hairline length, do also emphasize NO actual taper cut! Again, some hairdressers screw it up if you don't tell them and as soon as they start working on the taper, there is no going back. However, you may get a slight taper if you want the hair on the top a bit longer than the hair at the hairline (in fact, Coentrao has a slight taper on the second picture).
I would also ensure to get the proper styling tools through Amazon or similar instead of buying straight from the hair salon (since they will very likely have products to sell and men's hair products are terribly overpriced at salons). Amazon is the best place to buy men's hair products, whether in the US or UK. In your case, for a messy hairstyle with a shag, all you will really need is a hair wax, but, for even more shaping ability and range of "messiness", I recommend to also have a hair straightener.

I believe you're based in the UK, and you can get greatly-priced hair products from Amazon UK that will take only a couple of days to arrive at your home. From Amazon UK, I highly recommend the following hair wax and hair straightener (click each link to read more on them):
  • This TIGI hair wax: this hair wax is excellent for messy styles like the one you want to achieve. It gives great hair control but enhances the tousled/messy look. A great wax to own for many other hairstyles too.
    |
  • This BabyLiss hair straightener: a hair straightener is not necessary, but it will help you with getting more defined (so to speak) messy hair, even if you already have straight hair. With the hair straightener what you do is simply straighten the locks you want to "stand out" in the hairstyle. The hair straightener from BabyLiss in the link is really good for its price and it's also very easy to use. Plus the good thing about owning a hair straightener (as a dude) is that the hair straightener can be used in many more hairstyles you have in mind for now or in the future. The trick is getting a good straightener as there are many rats ones, and that one linked from BabyLiss is very much worth its price.
    |
  • This set of barber shears: while I highly recommend you to get the your first shaggy cut at the hair salon, you can however retouch/maintain your haircut yourself by using the shears (aka scissors) in the link. Since the shaggy cut relies on a chaotic look, you can trim your hair knowing that, even if you make some trimming mistakes, the actual aesthetics of the haircut won't be impaired as aesthetic chaos is part of the look Smile (although don't go crazy and make huge dents on the hair LOL).
You also mentioned in another thread that you got The Men's Hair Book and are already enjoying it, so that's also a good thing you have. That book will help you a lot especially over the long term (grooming, hair care and really drilling on your hairstyles).
Lastly, if you would rather shop from Amazon USA (usually products are cheaper at Amazon USA than Amazon UK, even when shipping costs are included), then let me know or simply visit our recommended men's hair products thread as we have listed the alternatives for a hair wax and hair straightener there Smile

If you have questions or want to post your current pictures, then feel free to do so Smile

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
03-23-2014, 05:03 AM
Thanks for the awesome advice THMF Big Grin very much appreciated

Yes I'm more than happy to post some photos up of my hairstyle, however I will cover my face as I'm a private person plus I don't want any lawsuits for broken screens lol think it's a great idea to do the blogging section, and just like the case studies in Rogelio book, these will make great case studies, I will get the photos up later on, just to point out, my hair will look very dense as I haven't had it cut in 2 mths and been growing it for just over 3 mths

My hair length is technicality long, I measured my hair on top and my extended length is 7cm while my (can't remember what it's called) length is 6.5cm, I haven't measured my sides and back yet, only thing I need to do now is grow a bit of length on my sides by my sideburns and over my ears and get some layers on the back of my hair, I won't be getting my hair coloured or highlighted this time, be better to get the hairstyle first and get use to having it lol

I've got a friend who is a hairdresser, she a hairstylist, so apart from getting a discount (thumbs up) she does a great job so can't complain

Yes I'm from the UK, at the moment I use the VO5 matt wax but will consider changing waxes if it improves my look, I have some straighteners but dont really use them tbh, only now and again, they not the best tbh, only got them as my hair in the past was a basic fauxhawk and I just used them to straighten my fringe before a night out
03-23-2014, 05:22 AM
Ahhhhhh almost forgot to ask, I was just thinking what's the best way to style it

Reading Rogelio book, he recommends blow drying the hair then putting mousse on, some people like yourself have recommended to straighten it then use wax, at the mo I towel dry my hair with a t-shirt then use wax to shape it, I don't mind using a blow dryer and a straightener but not all the time as it can damage your hair with excessive use

I've never used mousse before and what type would you recommend?
03-24-2014, 10:10 AM
(03-23-2014 05:03 AM)shane88 Wrote:  Thanks for the awesome advice THMF Big Grin very much appreciated

Yes I'm more than happy to post some photos up of my hairstyle, however I will cover my face as I'm a private person plus I don't want any lawsuits for broken screens lol think it's a great idea to do the blogging section, and just like the case studies in Rogelio book, these will make great case studies, I will get the photos up later on, just to point out, my hair will look very dense as I haven't had it cut in 2 mths and been growing it for just over 3 mths

My hair length is technicality long, I measured my hair on top and my extended length is 7cm while my (can't remember what it's called) length is 6.5cm, I haven't measured my sides and back yet, only thing I need to do now is grow a bit of length on my sides by my sideburns and over my ears and get some layers on the back of my hair, I won't be getting my hair coloured or highlighted this time, be better to get the hairstyle first and get use to having it lol

I've got a friend who is a hairdresser, she a hairstylist, so apart from getting a discount (thumbs up) she does a great job so can't complain

Yes I'm from the UK, at the moment I use the VO5 matt wax but will consider changing waxes if it improves my look, I have some straighteners but dont really use them tbh, only now and again, they not the best tbh, only got them as my hair in the past was a basic fauxhawk and I just used them to straighten my fringe before a night out

hey mate, yeah this TMHF lad threw some good staff at ya Wink
If you're talking of the lengths in the book, its 'extended length' and 'visible length'. Cant recall the curl factor lengths in the book as aint got the book in front but wasnt it something like 1.1-1.5 for wavy hair? Yours is 1.07 going by your measurements and doing the length calculations so that puts your hair as straight hair albeit with a very tiny wave, nothing major and still within the straight hair category for all purposes. The one thing will be of use will be the straightener because that will flat out straighten your hair and give you a new texture which is pretty good for a shaggy cut. If you got some straighteners at home already then play with those one you get your shaggy cut. If they are rats though then just get the BabyLiss from Amazon in the link TMHF posted as that one is really good for that price and BabyLiss are fairly decent manufacturers of straighteners and the likes (got me one of them but only for testing purposes ya know... lol)

Yeah that styling wax will be good for now. It will give you a bit of a more shaped texture imo while the one TMHF recommended above (his talking of the Tigi wax in the link) is more for a what we natural style or look when doing your messy style. Like TMHF pointed out the Tigi wax would give you a similar to the pics of Coentrao. Ideally have both so you can play with the textures and if you are going to be buying at Amazon Uk just throw that one in the shopping basket.

Good you got a hairstylist with ya. Not much of a fan of them but thats only because I envy their styling skills lol (half joking, I got them skills but lets face it some stylists are pretty good for the really modern styles and can get a shag just right).

About the case studies good call. Its something we have been planning for a while specially the managers and admins but I have been away for a while so havent caught up with it yet. Sure mate go ahead and erase your face when posting pics, we have forum members who do that and others who dont. We dont use your pics and always respect the privacy of our forum members which is something not all forums do unfortunately. We actually encourage people to post their pics on image hosting sites so they have full control of their pics. I'll ping TMHF to see whats up with this new section but it sure is something we really wanted to do and for all I know it was happening really soon.

(03-23-2014 05:22 AM)shane88 Wrote:  Ahhhhhh almost forgot to ask, I was just thinking what's the best way to style it

Reading Rogelio book, he recommends blow drying the hair then putting mousse on, some people like yourself have recommended to straighten it then use wax, at the mo I towel dry my hair with a t-shirt then use wax to shape it, I don't mind using a blow dryer and a straightener but not all the time as it can damage your hair with excessive use

I've never used mousse before and what type would you recommend?

Yes Rogelio got it right and I recommend yo pretty much follow his instructions on the styling. He recommends not getting the product on your scalp for a good reason although if I can remember right he mentions mousse is fine (just dont spread mousse all over your scalp mate you'll be fine).
You can blow dry first before the styling product or after. Some people do better first others prefer after and this is something you must play around with to see which one you like more. Worst of all you have to shampoo your hair again in like 3 mins then towel dry your hair and try the other form of styling.

Cheers
03-24-2014, 03:57 PM
Barber, you're turning into a new me (less good-looking, of course Big Grin) with that wall of text you posted LOL Usually I am the one posting walls of text, but we are always happy to have knowledgeable fellow members like yourself posting walls of text Big Grin

Shane, pay attention to Barber's advice too. He is absolutely correct on his tip (and saying) on hairdressers/barbers and tapers. You already have a good stylist to go to, but the tip is worth keeping in mind for the future.

Gentlemen, for what is worth, we are opening the new section this week. A public announcement will be made and forum members will be able to start blogging their journeys straightaway. Good to know you'll be interested Shane, as having your own thread to keep track of how things go with your hair is a good way to see the progress you have made as getting to know your hair fully takes a little time but it's worth the effort as, once you get to that stage, you will be able to instantly change your hairstyle and have it looking awesome and as you want (or not even style your hair ad have it looking great). Don't worry about showing your face, as Barber mentioned, we always protect the privacy of our members and if they don't want to show their face that is completely fine Smile

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
03-24-2014, 04:22 PM
Thanks guys for the advice, appreciated Smile

I'm getting my hair done tomorrow, so will make the mental notes you guys have recommended, write the important things done and take the two photos with me

With the blogging, more than happy to help, I've managed to get some photos of me, not brilliant but hopefully useful as reference and I wrote all the information such as hair products I use, my management of my hair etc

I've got all my hair products ready, starting to consider buying some straighteners and the ones TMHF recommended are just perfect, will grab the wax as well and try it out, think I get some mousse from the shops as well and try it out and see what happens, after that I might save up for a hair dryer but I'm pretty content with my towel (sorry) t-shirt drying method

I could even use this page as a starter for the blogging page

Thanks
03-25-2014, 09:24 AM
(03-24-2014 04:22 PM)shane88 Wrote:  Thanks guys for the advice, appreciated Smile

I'm getting my hair done tomorrow, so will make the mental notes you guys have recommended, write the important things done and take the two photos with me

With the blogging, more than happy to help, I've managed to get some photos of me, not brilliant but hopefully useful as reference and I wrote all the information such as hair products I use, my management of my hair etc

I've got all my hair products ready, starting to consider buying some straighteners and the ones TMHF recommended are just perfect, will grab the wax as well and try it out, think I get some mousse from the shops as well and try it out and see what happens, after that I might save up for a hair dryer but I'm pretty content with my towel (sorry) t-shirt drying method

I could even use this page as a starter for the blogging page

Thanks

Absolutely.

Feel free to post the pictures in this thread then, and I will move the thread to the new section when it is ready this week. Lots of advice has been given in this thread and you have been very detailed with your posts already, so I think this thread already can serve for you to go back and go through what your goals were (before the haircut) and the results you got as well as the on-going results you get with hairstyling and any future haircuts.

Plus you will be able to start another journey thread on the section if you want.

P.S: actually, on second thought, this thread is really useful as it goes for a shaggy haircut and I am thinking it would be best suited for this current Hairstyles & Haircuts forum section since we have many hairstyling guides on this forum section and this thread is pretty much a guide on its own for the Shag. I will shoot you a PM when we open the new forum section, Shane, so we talk about this thread of yours, but don't worry about that for now and simply post the pictures in this thread once you get the haircut done Smile

03-25-2014, 12:16 PM (This post was last modified: 03-25-2014 12:23 PM by shane88.)
Been today to get my haircut, my friend "the hairdresser" did a awesome job, for only £5 I can't complain lol but my hair looks so much better, with being on holiday this week, gives me time to get use to my new hairstyle and adjust to it

The Process

* Explained the hairstyle I wanted/show the 2 photos of Coentrao
* Had my hair completely straighten, I was shocked how much different I look with it straighten lol
* Just had it trimmed with some scissors, it was mostly (thinning) my excess hair to give it style
* Styled it without any hair products

What I learned today

* I have wavy hair, I completely mis measured my hair lol infact my extended length was 7cm while my was visible length was 6cm
* I need to use straighteners to pull this style off completely
* After the initial shock of having my "hair straighten" I think and my hairdresser agreed that I suit straight hair
* She loves the idea of having it highlighted to give it more of a professional look and make the hairstyle stand out even more with some colour and texture, the style suits me and it will look even good without colour
* I don't need to even use any hair products such as wax to style my hair

Afterwards I got some straighteners they are called Babyliss Boutique 235 Smooth Ceramic, got them from Argos for £28, my friend used the pink version of them which are called Babyliss Pro 235 Smooth Hair, think hers are slightly dearer

What I need to do

* Grow my hair on the sides and back a little more (this is mostly for the layers) my hairdresser couldn't fully straighten the bottom of my hair and my sideburns part
* Stay patience and get used to having straight hair (it's a bit of a jump)
* Learn to straighten my hair with some proper straighteners

I will post the photos up soon, like a before then a after, yeah that's sounds great THMF, I started to write down my hair information for the blog
03-25-2014, 04:32 PM
(03-25-2014 12:16 PM)shane88 Wrote:  Been today to get my haircut, my friend "the hairdresser" did a awesome job, for only £5 I can't complain lol but my hair looks so much better, with being on holiday this week, gives me time to get use to my new hairstyle and adjust to it

The Process

* Explained the hairstyle I wanted/show the 2 photos of Coentrao
* Had my hair completely straighten, I was shocked how much different I look with it straighten lol
* Just had it trimmed with some scissors, it was mostly (thinning) my excess hair to give it style
* Styled it without any hair products

What I learned today

* I have wavy hair, I completely mis measured my hair lol infact my extended length was 7cm while my was visible length was 6cm
* I need to use straighteners to pull this style off completely
* After the initial shock of having my "hair straighten" I think and my hairdresser agreed that I suit straight hair
* She loves the idea of having it highlighted to give it more of a professional look and make the hairstyle stand out even more with some colour and texture, the style suits me and it will look even good without colour
* I don't need to even use any hair products such as wax to style my hair

Afterwards I got some straighteners they are called Babyliss Boutique 235 Smooth Ceramic, got them from Argos for £28, my friend used the pink version of them which are called Babyliss Pro 235 Smooth Hair, think hers are slightly dearer

What I need to do

* Grow my hair on the sides and back a little more (this is mostly for the layers) my hairdresser couldn't fully straighten the bottom of my hair and my sideburns part
* Stay patience and get used to having straight hair (it's a bit of a jump)
* Learn to straighten my hair with some proper straighteners

I will post the photos up soon, like a before then a after, yeah that's sounds great THMF, I started to write down my hair information for the blog

Awesome!

Great to hear that, Shane. It makes sense now that you have reported the more precise extended length/visible length as yes, you have wavy hair, and you will certainly tell the difference when you straighten your hair.

Good choice with BabyLiss, they make great products and for that price that's a good one to get. If you're going to be getting proper (as in better quality) straighteners, then either get the one I posted earlier in the link or spend a little more and get this other titanium plated straightener (titanium has a longer lifetime than ceramic, so the straightener will last you much longer, plus the finish is sleeker with titanium compared to ceramic). But still, don't rush it and start playing around with the current straightener you've got, what's important is that you get comfortable straightening your hair first, as your desired hairstyle is dependent upon creating layers with the straightener.

Yes, you will need more length from the looks of it. Like we mentioned earlier, you need the hair to be going over the hairline of the sideburns, ears and neck. Male hair grows about half an inch per month (about 1 to 1.5 centimeters per month), so you may be looking at 2 moths, maybe 3 months maximum, until you have the perfect length.

You can go with highlights for the shaggy, highlights actually play quite well this style. However, avoid bleaching the hair like Coentrao sometimes does as bleaching the hair makes it brittler, and straightening the hair with straighteners can damage the hair too much when the hair is brittle. Highlights are fine, in fact, have a look through the male celebrity section again and browse the threads of Cristiano Ronaldo, Neymar, Zayn Malik etc These are male celebrities who have gotten highlights at some point in their life and managed to look fine enough to get legions of groupies LOL

Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Help regarding a haircut (undercut) zorrocat1 0 273 10-30-2016 05:26 AM
Last Post: zorrocat1
  Haircut fix Pgreene431 1 191 10-28-2016 02:26 PM
Last Post: Sertinjo
  Widow peak(Short haircut) Alexander 0 215 10-24-2016 06:21 PM
Last Post: Alexander
  Frohawk hairstyle and haircut: How to, Pictures TheMensHairForum 10 21,010 10-10-2016 08:45 AM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum