Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General advice and tips for mens hair products?
10-17-2014, 11:15 AM
General advice and tips for mens hair products?
With all the hair product talk here... i have to say i am curious about the basics. What are some general tips for mens hair products? maybe even product advice for thick hair and other hair types since i already read the hairstyles for thick hair. My case is thick and dense hair, too dense actually but product advice for any hair types is also fine for others.
You know some buying tips... or whatever it is that is the basics of mens hair products Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-17-2014, 12:44 PM (This post was last modified: 10-17-2014 12:46 PM by ElenaTheBarber.)
RE: General advice and tips for mens hair products?
With the abundance of hair care products out there, it's no wonder that many men get confused with which one's work best for their hair. Let me give you the inside scoop on the best hair care products to use for your specific hair type.

Let me start out by saying that it's in your interest to spend a little more money and invest in high quality, professional, hair care products. Not only are they better for your hair but they will last you longer than the cheaper brands. How is that possible you ask? Well, I'll tell you. Put it this way, if you buy a cheap conditioner you need to use twice as much in order to make it work well on your hair and really have the moisturizing effects. With a good conditioner instead you should be able to get away with using a dime to quarter size amount, depending on the length and thickness of the hair. Basically, the professional or good products are much more concentrated and contain a much higher quality of ingredients, such as natural oils, fruit extracts and sea botanicals, therefore, they will last you a heck of a lot longer. Pretty awesome I think!

Another big reason to steer clear of the cheap products is that they contain cheap ingredients, hence the cheap prices! With mens hair products, you get what you pay for! Many of these cheaper brands contain parabens which are a type of preservative which can cause build up and be very unhealthy for the overall health of your hair (gross)! Some of the other ingredients contained in many of the cheaper products are sulfates. Sulfates are added to the shampoos mainly to make them foam well, but these sulfates can be harsh on the hair. These little devils strip your natural moisture right out from underneath your hair and are the cause of bad hair in men. Well you should not avoid sulfates in shampoos but a good shampoo will only require you to use a very little amount to work. You can also skip shampoo days and many men find that their hair looks much better if they skip shampoo days.

Now I know that by using the correct products for your hair type makes a world of a difference, and I'm here to guide you in the right direction. Do remember that these products are professional products that will get you professional results as if you went yourself to a hair salon. It is no surprise then that these products are not cheap. I warned you! Big Grin

Thick Dry Hair: The best option for someone with thick or medium textured dry hair is a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. This will add softness and shine to the hair. Chances are, if you have thick, dry, hair you also have coarse hair. So this will also help to soften the coarse texture of your hair. One I recommend is AG Xtramoist Shampoo and Conditioner. As far as a styling product goes, I would opt for a smoothing serum such as the Aquage Sea Extend Silkening Oil Treatment.

Fine Thin Hair: Now for fine thin hair you'll want to opt for a volumizing shampoo and conditioner. Try the AG Thikkwash Shampoo and the AG Thikkrinse Conditioner. These are two great products because along with volumizing the hair, as with most professional products they will also preserve your hair and protect it! There are other thickening hair products mentioned in this forum and one that I agree is pretty good is the Paul Mitchell line of thickening shampoo and conditioner.

Curly Hair: For curly hair, whether it's natural or permed you are going to want to use a shampoo and conditioner specifically for curly hair. One I recommend is AG Re:Coil Curl Activating Shampoo and Conditioner. Both of these products will aid in enhancing your curls and removing frizz from your hair. As far as styling, try their Re:Coil Curl Activator. This is a cream which you apply to towel dried hair. It will leave you with soft, shiny, frizz free curls!

Colour Treated Hair: It is not just women who colour their hair! Many men are now adding highlights to their hair and different tones of hair dyes. Let's not forget the increasing number of greying men who dye their grey hair. These men will want to stick to a colour care shampoo and conditioner. I recommend the AG Color Savour Shampoo and Conditioner. These are sulfate free, to specifically preserve the life of your colour, and to keep your hair soft and shiny.

A last tip would be to try having two to three favourite brands of products that you really like, and switch back and forth every couple of months. Then, you'll always have that 'new hair product' feel! You will hear some stylists say that you need to rotate hi products so that your hair and scalp don't get used to them, but that's just nonsense. The reason for having different products and rotating them is to simply get that 'new hair product' feel and get different textures and styles Smile

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Mens Hair Products: Quick Useful 101 Guide The Hairstylist 0 131 10-08-2016 12:47 PM
Last Post: The Hairstylist
  Best mens hair conditioner for damaged hair hapaa 4 368 10-06-2016 04:19 AM
Last Post: oslec8
Smile Are there good products to dye your beard orange? Duaov 1 123 09-16-2016 04:55 AM
Last Post: r3dzzz
  If you could solve one problem with male hair products what would it be and why? TotalHairNoob 0 161 08-08-2016 07:40 AM
Last Post: TotalHairNoob