Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gatsby question? Hair length for styling wax and hairstyles
05-13-2015, 05:52 AM (This post was last modified: 05-13-2015 05:55 AM by Wiggles.)
Gatsby question? Hair length for styling wax and hairstyles
New here! Never knew this forum existed.

On the Gatsby website it lists products for very short, short, medium, etc. Does anyone know what it means in inches? My definition of short could be different than yours. Never used hair wax or any hair products and it seems this company is very popular. Also how does it hold up in hot/humid weather? It getting nicer weather now in New York (70+ Degrees Fahrenheit) and I get the thought that it might melt like candle wax on my head.

Thanks for the replySmile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-14-2015, 04:36 AM
RE: Gatsby question?
Also another question: all the YouTube videos show spike styles with Gatsby. Is that the only style you can do or is there other kinds? Can you show picture or share them? I hate to be stuck with spike style all the time.
05-14-2015, 06:17 AM
Short hair is any hair shorter than 4 inches and you can do any hairstyles with wax!
Hello and welcome to the forum!

Yes, hair lengths and hair types as well as the name of hairstyles and name of products are all a mess when it comes to hair product companies. They all mix them and even get them wrong, and there is no specific naming that they all follow.

The above is why we have our Hair Length guide and Hair Type guide so that we can all identify our hair following a universal guideline that then helps us all to make the right product purchasing decisions. So have a look at our hair length guide to identify the length of your hair, which will be any of the following men's hair lengths:
  • Near shaved
  • Short
  • Medium
  • Long
Our forum hair length guide (as well as our hair type guide) is taken from The Men's Hair Book, an excellent hair book written by Rogelio Samson (unrelated to this forum although he sometimes posts here) and it's a book that we recommend everyone to own as it has answers for everything.

Having said the above, from my experience, men's hair product companies do estimate similar hair lengths to the hair length categories in our hair length guide. Namely, short hair will be anything from stubble (i.e. near shaved) to 2 inches in length. However, some hair product companies will go as far up as 4 inches in length to refer to short hair. The good news is that the same products that you use for hair that is 1 inch in length are the ones you use for hair that is 4 inches long (albeit some small differences).

Overall, for short hair, hairstyling wax is a great hair product, so have peace of mind in that respect as, by buying a hair wax (e.g. from Gatsby), you will be making a great purchasing decision.

The Gatsby hair wax range is wide, so, in your case, it's best to think of what texture and finish you want your hair to have. Do you want your hair to have a high shine finish? Do you want it to have a strong hold so that you can really shape your hair into a Faux Hawk hairstyle or a Pompadour hairstyle? Those are the questions that you should be asking yourself when buying a good hair wax, especially from the Gatsby hairstyling wax range.

Have a look at the following post in the link covering the main range of Gatsby hair wax products which go from a very strong hold with a low-shine finish (great for vertical hairstyles like a Faux Hawk or spiky hair) to a high-shine finish with a low hold (great for casual hairstyles). I highly recommend that you read that linked post going through the Gatsby hair waxes as it will help you a lot in deciding which Gatsby hair wax to buy. Moreover, those Gatsby hair waxes in the link are re-workable, meaning that you can re-style your hair at any time throughout the day without having to add more hair wax to your hair or having to wet it; you simply style again and you're done!

(05-14-2015 04:36 AM)Wiggles Wrote:  Also another question: all the YouTube videos show spike styles with Gatsby. Is that the only style you can do or is there other kinds? Can you show picture or share them? I hate to be stuck with spike style all the time.

Hair wax and an of the Gatsby hair waxes can be used for pretty much any hairstyle that you can think of and not just for spiky hair. What you're probably seeing are those shaggy hairstyles with spikes that are easy to style with a hair wax, but you can use a hair wax to style anything on your hair. Go through our best Hairstyles and Haircuts guides to learn more about lots of hairstyles that are within your range if you have short hair (anything shorter than 4 inches) and you also have a hair wax.

In any case, in all the hairstyle guides that you read in our Hairstyles & Haircuts section, we have mentioned the hair lengths that are suitable for the hairstyles of each guide as well as which hair products are the best for each hairstyle, hence why it's important for you to go through our hair length guide and familiarize yourself with the hair lengths. And, of course, you can ask any questions you want in the hairstyle guides! Smile

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
05-14-2015, 01:20 PM
RE: Gatsby question? Hair length for styling wax and hairstyles
Thanks! Super informative. I'll check out the places you told me to look. Right now I got 1.5" on top and I measure with a ruler so hopefully it correct or close enough.
05-15-2015, 07:32 AM
Your short hair will benefit a lot in terms of styling oomph from a Gatsby hair wax.
In that case and since your hair is about 1.5 inches, then a hairstyling wax such as a Gatsby wax will work wonders for you. I suggest that you read the post that I linked to (I'm linking to it again, see the following link) covering the Gatsby hair wax product range so as to learn about the main hair wax products that have a good following and that will work great for your hair length.

By the way, for those of you in the United Kingdom, I've also posted in the following link about the Gatsby hair wax range in the UK and where to buy each of the Gatsby hairstyling waxes.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
05-15-2015, 08:11 PM
RE: Gatsby question? Hair length for styling wax and hairstyles
Yes and I am Asian so Gatsby perfect for my type. Whenever I go visit my grandparents I'll check out the Asian store to see if they carry it. I saw there is a location in Flushing, NY on the official website. I don't like to buy online and I like to actually see it in person before buying.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Restylable, matte, water-based product for fine, medium-length hair nysharps 0 73 11-29-2016 12:08 AM
Last Post: nysharps
  Best hair styling wax for Asian men hair? Cool Hair Guy 8 24,819 11-07-2016 11:30 PM
Last Post: aliu123
  Styling cream DaHansan 0 252 08-14-2016 04:53 AM
Last Post: DaHansan
  What styling hair products Jax Teller uses (Charlie Hunnam)? SAMCRO 11 39,790 07-19-2016 08:21 AM
Last Post: beardlover