Twitter

[-]
Follow Us on Facebook!

[-]
Follow Us on Google!

[-]
Recent Posts
love hair styling
Hello everyone i am a new user here and want to go all out beserk all out amazin . . .ujwalbro2006 — 09:18 PM
Hi there, looking for help
Hello all, I found this forum after trying to find ways to manage my hair and it . . .luizborges — 08:05 PM
Kit Harington Hairstyles and Curly Hair Pict...
How long would it take me to grow my hair to the length that I could mimic K . . .aMP3d — 06:39 PM

Gatsby hairstyles: How to Get and Pictures
05-30-2013, 05:20 PM
Gatsby hairstyles: How to Get and Pictures

Gatsby hairstyles are the sort of hairstyles from the early 20th century. Gatsby hairstyles are slicked back at an angle or to the side with pomade. The hair is combed tight so it is flattened. The recent movie The Great Gatsby starring Leonardo di Caprio has made the slicked hairstyle popular again. The Great Gatsby is based on the 1925 novel of the same name by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

Gatsby hairstyles are nothing more than slicked hairstyles with pomade (aka side swept hair). Pictures of Gatsby typical hairstyles:

[Image: Leo-Great-Gatsby.jpg]

[Image: gatsby.jpg]

[Image: 050513-Gatsby-600.jpg]

How to get Gatsby hairstyle

Simply slick the hair with a comb to the side, use plenty pomade. Only do with straight and wavy hair types, maybe with coiled curly hair type too. However, you will not be able to style the Gatsby with the kinky curly hair type.

Hair products for a Gatsby hairstyle

All you need is pomade and a good quality comb. There is even a hair wax called Gatsby which is good for achieving slicked hairstyle in the type of a Gatsby hairstyle despite it is a wax (it is light compared to other waxes). You can also try this other hair pomade. For a good comb to slick your hair, get this high quality comb.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-30-2013, 05:34 PM
RE: Gatsby hairstyles: How to Get and Pictures
In The Great Gatsby movie, the male actors are Leonardo DiCaprio, Tobey Maguire Joel Edgerton. The three actors have a clssic Gatsby hairstyle, see below.

Leonardo Di Caprio Gatsby hairstyle

[Image: leonardo-dicaprio-the-great-gatsby1.jpg]

[Image: leonardo-dicaprio-the-great-gatsby.jpg]

[Image: article-0-1A09A03E00000578-335_308x221.jpg]

Tobey Maguire Gatsby hairstyle

[Image: a_250x375.png]

[Image: 2Tobey-Maguire-The-Great-Gatsby-102511-600x450.jpg]

Joel Edgerton Gatsby hairstyle

[Image: edgerton-gatsby-300x0.jpg]

[Image: great-gatsby-joel-edgerton.jpg]

05-30-2013, 05:45 PM
How to get sleek hair that is shiny like in a Gatsby hairstyle?

The trick is the pomade and how you comb. Comb tight to flatten the hair but first coat the hair in pomade when the hair is damp. Never style when the hair is dry, it must be damp. Then comb to the side or back tight so the hair lies flat.

You regulate the volume of the Gatsby hairstyle by how tight you comb the hair. Pomade is the hair product to use for classic men's hairstyles including Gatsby hairstyles like the ones in this thread.

[Image: brooks-brothers-gatsby-hed-2013.jpg]

The pomade must give a shiny effect. The pomades listed below provide that sleek look of the 1920s:

Gatsby hair wax (can be used as a pomade for styling a Gatsby hairstyle)

Tea tree pomade

Super hold Pomade

Suavecito pomade

05-30-2013, 06:48 PM
Excellent thread as your usual Jurgen!

How a typical Gatsby hairstyle looks from the top

[Image: 6654868423_4abde8f547_z.jpg]

Attached picture of a Gatsby hairstyle that looks very classic. Simple side swept like a king, no shapely deviation (it's Robert Redford by the way Big Grin)

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

To buy hair products with confidence and at the lowest prices online, please visit our trusted sponsor The Men's Hair Shop.
You can also check out our forum's best hair products for men thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
05-31-2013, 02:07 PM
More Gatsby hairstyles (classic mens hair)

[Image: The-Great-Gatsby-Robert-R-006.jpg]

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

To buy hair products with confidence and at the lowest prices online, please visit our trusted sponsor The Men's Hair Shop.
You can also check out our forum's best hair products for men thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
05-31-2013, 10:16 PM
Nothing like a classic hairstyle like the ones from The Great Gatsby. Pomade and a good comb, technically a hairstyle only for men with straight or wavy hair although I have seen a Gatsby done with coiled hair types.

[Image: header-robert-redford-1974-the-great-gat...8549116022]

The days when being a man was about being a gentleman. If only we could get a time machine right Jurgen Big Grin

Oldschool barber getting it on with the internet era.
06-02-2013, 07:56 PM
So as I understand (correct me if wrong) to do a gatsby hairstyle we need pomade and comb the hair to the side parting a line? should it be the temple to the crown line?
And pomade, is it the hair product to use for a gatsby hairstyle, how about hair wax or gel? I love this thread and the instructions by the way and I agree this hairstyle is as classy as it gets.
06-03-2013, 01:32 PM
Looks like we have a badass Gatsby in the house with a side swept hairstyle.

[Image: tumblr_lt1svp0kAS1qh48u5o1_1280.jpg]
06-03-2013, 01:35 PM

You understood the instructions correct Stevens, that's how you do a Gatsby hairstyle. Remember to comb the hair tight, it should be flat. Hair wax and hair gel don't work veyr well for the Gatsby hairstyle because they dry or harden the hair too much. Stick to hair pomade.
06-07-2013, 12:41 PM
Check these Gatsby hairstyles between Leonardo di Caprio, Brad Pitt and Robert Redford, it's sort of a comparing with Redford as he played the Great Gatsby in the 70s I think it was.

Brad Pitt vs Robert Redford Gatsby hairstyle

[Image: http%3A-img.dailymail.co.uk-i-pix-2007-0...68x435.jpg]

Robert Redford vs Leonardo di Caprio Gatsby hairstyle

see attached picture.

I think we can all agree the three men look elegant and like a proper gatsby! Cool

Oldschool barber getting it on with the internet era.
06-25-2014, 05:58 AM
This is my next hair style for the next few months as my hair grows out on the top. I am currently only at 2 inches on the top.

Where I get confused is the hair from the part down the side of the head. In the "typical Gatsby" photo above that was taken in a barbershop, it looks really short on the sides. But in the Redford photo below, it looks like it's 3 inches down the side of his head.

[Image: 210000_1.jpg]

If I go for the longer sides, what happens to the hair that is below the three inch hair at the part?

I mainly just don't want the sides to look like this.

[Image: Ron-Burgundy.jpg]

It seems like barbers will either do the easy thing and make it too short on the sides or not touch the sides and let it bulk out.

I can start a "hair journey" thread, but I couldn't find a way to post my own photos, just links.
07-05-2014, 04:01 AM
Awesome hair style.
08-22-2014, 12:45 AM
Classic hairstyles. Contemplated getting this hair style a while back.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Mens Hairstyles and Face Shapes Guide: Round, Triangle, Square, Oval Bradley 8 2,184 08-31-2014 08:13 PM
Last Post: T_Hodge
  Black Men Pompadour Hairstyle and Haircut Pictures TheMensHairForum 0 186 08-29-2014 03:34 PM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum
  Epic Styling Guide for Slicked Back Hair - How To, Pictures and Products TheMensHairForum 23 33,821 08-29-2014 10:32 AM
Last Post: -KANE-
  Hairstyle Guide for the Slicked Back Undercut (how to + pictures + products) Jurgen 36 70,203 08-28-2014 09:39 AM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum