Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Gatsby hair wax, any opinions of forum members?
04-27-2014, 03:05 PM
Question Gatsby hair wax, any opinions of forum members?
Trying different waxes and want to make a new Amazon order. What are your opinions on the Gatsby hair wax? they have waxes for different textures or so it looks and I like the variety so i am interested in purchasing one or two of the Gatsby hair waxes to compare with others like Dax hair wax and the Tigi hair wax.

Looking to shape hair instead of a casual hairstyle. I have read in the forum of a Gatsby wax that is great for shaping but can't remember which one it was. Anyway if any of you can help with your experience using a Gatsby wax, that would be awesome to hear!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-27-2014, 03:09 PM
RE: Gatsby hair wax, any opinions of forum members?
Oh and BTW sorry for the other question i also posted. I am running out of a couple of my styling hair products so i needed to place a new Amazon order and this time I would like to include some new items including a wax or a couple more. I am trying to squeeze in some expert opinions from you guys if possible just before i hit the order button Big Grin
04-27-2014, 10:51 PM
(04-27-2014 03:09 PM)Lordius Wrote:  Oh and BTW sorry for the other question i also posted. I am running out of a couple of my styling hair products so i needed to place a new Amazon order and this time I would like to include some new items including a wax or a couple more. I am trying to squeeze in some expert opinions from you guys if possible just before i hit the order button Big Grin

I'm not a expert so may want some more opinions before purchasing but i have only heard good reviews when it comes to Gatsby. It's a product that i want to order as soon as i order my next products as well.

I also know that the forum members of this page recommend it.

http://www.menshairforum.com/talk/Thread...-Epic-List

The recommended wax on that page is Gatsby so i think it would be worth it for you to pick some up and try them.
04-28-2014, 10:56 AM
Yes, Gatsby has some good hair wax products. They play with the hold strength, shine & texture for the prototypical Gatsby hair wax. The Gatsby waxes tend to have a focus on hair shaping & giving 3d texture instead of a more relaxed natural style like you will find with a TIGI bedhead hair wax which I reviewed in that link. Actually for shaping, we do in the forum usually recommend a Gatsby wax - the regular wax or the moving rubber wax. Their waxes also do not have the crusty issues like the wax of American Crew that some forum members have also found lol

So like I mentioned the products vary with the hold strength & shine + texture & overall feel of the hair. Hold & shine are mostly easy to tell & kind of to measure too so you can get a hair wax for a specific functionality.

Gatsby actually has a line of "moving rubber" hair wax products which are basically hair wax but which are claimed to be able to re-shape the hair any time in the same day etc. The Gatsby line works very well so they have that for sure. Also when you hear 'Gatsby hair wax', it is usually the moving rubber hair wax that people are referring to as that is the one where they have all the colours of the rainbow with their products lol

We usually recommend the regular hair wax from Gatsby - which is this one here - as it is more like an 'all purpose' hair wax with no shine but that works to hold hair & shape it, great for a brush up hairstyle, for example. But if you want to be able to re-shape your hair thru the day without having to wet the hair & apply more wax, then use the moving rubber waxes.

Ok so from my experience the following 4 moving rubber hair waxes from Gatsby I recommend - click each link for more on them. I include their functionality just so you can make a better buying decision:
  1. For great shine: you have to get this moving rubber wax. Gives a wet effect with lots of shine. Good product.
  2. For maximum hold: for hairstyles that require very strong hold like spikes or if you want a brush up standing up hardcore This is the moving rubber to get. The shine is low tho so if you want shine look at the 4th Gatsby wax in this list. I recommend you to get this one because of its maximum holding power & you can browse our forum for the really shaped & 'against gravity' hairstyles.
  3. For casual styling: I really like this moving rubber one as it is similar to the 'all purpose' wax we recommend from Gatsby - one I mentioned earlier in this post. The only difference is that you can re-shape your hair thru the day so get that Gatsby moving rubber in the link for casual finished hairstyles.
  4. For strong hold with some shine: the one thing that the Gatsby moving rubber wax in the link for 'maximum hold' - number 2 - is lacking is shine, so instead we have this moving rubber wax offers super strong hold & medium shine - so not a lot of shine but still not a matte effect. It is great for glossy hard hairstyles including quiffs & pompadours.
I would recommend you to at least get 2 of the moving rubber waxes above. For example get the 'for shine' wax - number 1 - while also getting the 'maximum hold' wax - number 2. Those 2 waxes offer different functionalities so you can include them in a wider range of hairstyles.
04-28-2014, 11:16 AM
(04-28-2014 10:56 AM)Jurgen Wrote:  Yes, Gatsby has some good hair wax products. They play with the hold strength, shine & texture for the prototypical Gatsby hair wax. The Gatsby waxes tend to have a focus on hair shaping & giving 3d texture instead of a more relaxed natural style like you will find with a TIGI bedhead hair wax which I reviewed in that link. Actually for shaping, we do in the forum usually recommend a Gatsby wax - the regular wax or the moving rubber wax. Their waxes also do not have the crusty issues like the wax of American Crew that some forum members have also found lol

So like I mentioned the products vary with the hold strength & shine + texture & overall feel of the hair. Hold & shine are mostly easy to tell & kind of to measure too so you can get a hair wax for a specific functionality.

Gatsby actually has a line of "moving rubber" hair wax products which are basically hair wax but which are claimed to be able to re-shape the hair any time in the same day etc. The Gatsby line works very well so they have that for sure. Also when you hear 'Gatsby hair wax', it is usually the moving rubber hair wax that people are referring to as that is the one where they have all the colours of the rainbow with their products lol

We usually recommend the regular hair wax from Gatsby - which is this one here - as it is more like an 'all purpose' hair wax with no shine but that works to hold hair & shape it, great for a brush up hairstyle, for example. But if you want to be able to re-shape your hair thru the day without having to wet the hair & apply more wax, then use the moving rubber waxes.

Ok so from my experience the following 4 moving rubber hair waxes from Gatsby I recommend - click each link for more on them. I include their functionality just so you can make a better buying decision:
  1. For great shine: you have to get this moving rubber wax. Gives a wet effect with lots of shine. Good product.
  2. For maximum hold: for hairstyles that require very strong hold like spikes or if you want a brush up standing up hardcore This is the moving rubber to get. The shine is low tho so if you want shine look at the 4th Gatsby wax in this list. I recommend you to get this one because of its maximum holding power & you can browse our forum for the really shaped & 'against gravity' hairstyles.
  3. For casual styling: I really like this moving rubber one as it is similar to the 'all purpose' wax we recommend from Gatsby - one I mentioned earlier in this post. The only difference is that you can re-shape your hair thru the day so get that Gatsby moving rubber in the link for casual finished hairstyles.
  4. For strong hold with some shine: the one thing that the Gatsby moving rubber wax in the link for 'maximum hold' - number 2 - is lacking is shine, so instead we have this moving rubber wax offers super strong hold & medium shine - so not a lot of shine but still not a matte effect. It is great for glossy hard hairstyles including quiffs & pompadours.
I would recommend you to at least get 2 of the moving rubber waxes above. For example get the 'for shine' wax - number 1 - while also getting the 'maximum hold' wax - number 2. Those 2 waxes offer different functionalities so you can include them in a wider range of hairstyles.

I also have a interest in these products so thanks for the information , I posted a video of a review (Has been deleted now , So sorry mods I did not realise that was against the rules) but he uses 1 fingertip of one of the products , One fingertip of the other to combine then , Would you recommended doing this , Is there any disadvantages or how well does it work? (If you have any experience/knowledge of this)
04-28-2014, 12:17 PM
Yes I can see your video was removed by a member of the staff team. Jonny, read the rules as you have all information in the rules about posting links. You had your account upgraded so you could get feedback about your hair/situation etc & so you could post links to your images so don't abuse that.

Yea thats fine about using a fingertip of each wax. I prefer to use one product only for each styling occasion but I know some guys like to mix more than one product & not just mix the Gatsby waxes but also mix other brands that have more than one type of wax or even pomade. But also take into account it is not like you will get a 'mathematical' result by combining a 1/2 of a product with a lot of shine - for example Gatsby moving rubber number 1 - with a half of a product with maximum hold - for example Gatsby moving rubber number 2. It is not as easy as that because usually one product takes over the other even when combined as half & half + the different ingredients that hold the polymers can cause some 'weird' funky blending.

You know, hair products are very individual. What this means is that, yes you can buy a product based on 'functionality', but the final result is very individual & that is why you need to trial some products before you end up with the best hair product for you. That is why our forum is so beneficial cause before buying any product you can ask the rest of us & we can give you an approximation of what it was for us + also give you the actual functionality of the product like I did for James when I listed the 4 moving rubber waxes of Gatsby in my previous post.

In the case of the Gatsby moving rubber wax, I recommend to you the same I recommend to James: buy 2 or more of the waxes & experiment with them. Maybe do one week with one wax, another week with another wax & another week with another wax - if you buy 3 of them as an example.
Or maybe do 4 days of mixing half & half of 2 waxes, then another 3 days of mixing another half & half combo. It can get pretty cool with the experiments & the good thing about the Gatsby moving rubber products is they are cheap for the quality that you are getting, so buying 2 or more of these waxes to experiment will not be expensive & will save you money in the future as from your experiments with the 3 waxes - for example - you will then find out the best hair wax for you & not waste money on buying other waxes that you will not do the magic of the one that you find out from your tests.
04-28-2014, 12:32 PM
(04-28-2014 12:17 PM)Jurgen Wrote:  Yes I can see your video was removed by a member of the staff team. Jonny, read the rules as you have all information in the rules about posting links. You had your account upgraded so you could get feedback about your hair/situation etc & so you could post links to your images so don't abuse that.

Yea thats fine about using a fingertip of each wax. I prefer to use one product only for each styling occasion but I know some guys like to mix more than one product & not just mix the Gatsby waxes but also mix other brands that have more than one type of wax or even pomade. But also take into account it is not like you will get a 'mathematical' result by combining a 1/2 of a product with a lot of shine - for example Gatsby moving rubber number 1 - with a half of a product with maximum hold - for example Gatsby moving rubber number 2. It is not as easy as that because usually one product takes over the other even when combined as half & half + the different ingredients that hold the polymers can cause some 'weird' funky blending.

You know, hair products are very individual. What this means is that, yes you can buy a product based on 'functionality', but the final result is very individual & that is why you need to trial some products before you end up with the best hair product for you. That is why our forum is so beneficial cause before buying any product you can ask the rest of us & we can give you an approximation of what it was for us + also give you the actual functionality of the product like I did for James when I listed the 4 moving rubber waxes of Gatsby in my previous post.

In the case of the Gatsby moving rubber wax, I recommend to you the same I recommend to James: buy 2 or more of the waxes & experiment with them. Maybe do one week with one wax, another week with another wax & another week with another wax - if you buy 3 of them as an example.
Or maybe do 4 days of mixing half & half of 2 waxes, then another 3 days of mixing another half & half combo. It can get pretty cool with the experiments & the good thing about the Gatsby moving rubber products is they are cheap for the quality that you are getting, so buying 2 or more of these waxes to experiment will not be expensive & will save you money in the future as from your experiments with the 3 waxes - for example - you will then find out the best hair wax for you & not waste money on buying other waxes that you will not do the magic of the one that you find out from your tests.

Yeah I realise I have had a few links removed now (One for a workout website and one of the YT video) so I was thinking a look at the rules would help , No abuse meant I just thought the review was a good video to show the OP as it was the video that got me interested in the Gatsby products (Though I still need to order them)

Ok i understand what you say about mixing 2 waxes , I was thinking of picking up 2/3 of them , The one i don't think ill get is the first one.Thanks for the help
04-29-2014, 08:16 AM
Great review by Jurgen of the range of Gatsby hair waxes. I would agree that those 4 moving rubber wax products are the ones to buy as they are the best ones for each of the purported features as listed by Jurgen.

For many guys, reviewing what each hair wax or moving rubber wax does and is used for can be confusing so that list you posted Jurgen of each of the waxes and which one is for what styling goal will help a lot of forum visitors interested in buying a Gatsby hair wax.

(04-28-2014 12:32 PM)Jonny Wrote:  Yeah I realise I have had a few links removed now (One for a workout website and one of the YT video) so I was thinking a look at the rules would help , No abuse meant I just thought the review was a good video to show the OP as it was the video that got me interested in the Gatsby products (Though I still need to order them)

Ok i understand what you say about mixing 2 waxes , I was thinking of picking up 2/3 of them , The one i don't think ill get is the first one.Thanks for the help

Jonny, since you're in the UK, you may want to buy from Amazon UK if you're going to buy the recommended Gatsby waxes, since the prices at Amazon UK are also pretty good. Jurgen posted the links to Amazon USA (i.e. the .com portal) which has lots of hair products for international visitors at great prices and hair products from Amazon USA are usually cheaper than at Amazon UK or Amazon DE, but in the case of these Gatsby waxes, it is more convenient and almost as cheap to get them from Amazon UK.

Here is a link reference for each Gatsby moving rubber wax found at Amazon UK with an established distributor (click on each link).
  1. For great shine - get this one
  2. For maximum hold - get this one
  3. For casual styling - get this one
  4. For strong hold with some shine - get this one
If you're only going to buy the waxes, then do also consider purchasing them from Amazon UK from the 4 waxes above. However, if you are also planning to do a "big" hair product purchase (i.e. buy more products than just the Gatsby waxes), then consider getting them from the links that Jurgen posted as those waxes re found at Amazon USA and you will find lots of cheap hair products at Amazon USA too, much cheaper (most of the time) than Amazon UK and, of course, way cheaper than anything you can find offline (i.e. high street retailer or stores).

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
04-29-2014, 09:33 AM
(04-29-2014 08:16 AM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Great review by Jurgen of the range of Gatsby hair waxes. I would agree that those 4 moving rubber wax products are the ones to buy as they are the best ones for each of the purported features as listed by Jurgen.

For many guys, reviewing what each hair wax or moving rubber wax does and is used for can be confusing so that list you posted Jurgen of each of the waxes and which one is for what styling goal will help a lot of forum visitors interested in buying a Gatsby hair wax.

(04-28-2014 12:32 PM)Jonny Wrote:  Yeah I realise I have had a few links removed now (One for a workout website and one of the YT video) so I was thinking a look at the rules would help , No abuse meant I just thought the review was a good video to show the OP as it was the video that got me interested in the Gatsby products (Though I still need to order them)

Jonny, since you're in the UK, you may want to buy from Amazon UK if you're going to buy the recommended Gatsby waxes, since the prices at Amazon UK are also pretty good. Jurgen posted the links to Amazon USA (i.e. the .com portal) which has lots of hair products for international visitors at great prices and hair products from Amazon USA are usually cheaper than at Amazon UK or Amazon DE, but in the case of these Gatsby waxes, it is more convenient and almost as cheap to get them from Amazon UK.

Here is a link reference for each Gatsby moving rubber wax found at Amazon UK with an established distributor (click on each link).
  1. For great shine - get this one
  2. For maximum hold - get this one
  3. For casual styling - get this one
  4. For strong hold with some shine - get this one
If you're only going to buy the waxes, then do also consider purchasing them from Amazon UK from the 4 waxes above. However, if you are also planning to do a "big" hair product purchase (i.e. buy more products than just the Gatsby waxes), then consider getting them from the links that Jurgen posted as those waxes are found at Amazon USA and you will find lots of cheap hair products at Amazon USA too, much cheaper (most of the time) than Amazon UK and, of course, way cheaper than anything you can find offline (i.e. high street retailer or stores).

Ok , Yeah I was thinking of purchasing the American crew shampoo and the American crew conditioner you suggested , The 3 waxes (The only one I don't want is the one for wet hair) and also the TIGI bed head wax that has been suggested on this forum.

In total comes to around $60 which I think is around £40 in the UK , And im pretty sure that in the UK the 3 Gatsby products are around £30 , With the Bedhead wax that's around £35-40 and then im not sure how much the shampoo / conditioner is in UK so im thinking its worth it to order from US

[Image: 0553f8428ba3ae6d0096b57d3f58746b.png]

Theres a list of the products and the price
04-30-2014, 09:20 AM
Seriously impressed with how some of you go to huge lengths to help out dudes. Thanks so much and Jurgen that was exactly what I was looking for since I admit that the moving rubber thing was confusing me from how it is different from regular wax. I am actually interested in the moving rubber wax now that you have explained it since i feel that changing the shape of my hair or style throughout the day offers an extra advantage.

(04-28-2014 10:56 AM)Jurgen Wrote:  Ok so from my experience the following 4 moving rubber hair waxes from Gatsby I recommend - click each link for more on them. I include their functionality just so you can make a better buying decision:

Well since I am going to be buying more products together with pomade, maybe more shampoo etc I think the best i to just buy the 4 waxes you have mentioned and then get going with that. My main goal is shaping my hair in lots of hairstyles and for that the the best waxes are the Gatsby hair waxes, from my research and from the comments in this forum.

The 4 waxes are moving rubber so that is a plus to me. I actually dig the Tigi bed head wax that you mentioned but since the moving rubber wax #3 is for casual styling too then that seals the deal and I will be grabbing it too as even for my casual styles I like my hair with shape.

Hey thanks to all of you for the great replies. Great to be able to relay and trust the opinion of people in this forum before making a decision that involves money!!
04-30-2014, 02:06 PM
(04-29-2014 09:33 AM)Jonny Wrote:  Ok , Yeah I was thinking of purchasing the American crew shampoo and the American crew conditioner you suggested , The 3 waxes (The only one I don't want is the one for wet hair) and also the TIGI bed head wax that has been suggested on this forum.

In total comes to around $60 which I think is around £40 in the UK , And im pretty sure that in the UK the 3 Gatsby products are around £30 , With the Bedhead wax that's around £35-40 and then im not sure how much the shampoo / conditioner is in UK so im thinking its worth it to order from US

[Image: 0553f8428ba3ae6d0096b57d3f58746b.png]

Theres a list of the products and the price

I think buying from amazon.com as in the Gatsby waxes Jurgen posted of amazon.com and then adding in your amazon basket the Tigi bed head wax and a good shampoo like you are looking for would be the best option done at amazon.com

I just checked the prices of the Gatsby moving rubber wax at amazon.com vs amazon.co.uk (from the links Jurgen posted for amazon.com and Themenshairforum posted for amazon.co.uk). Considering the conversion rates from british pounds to US dollars, you are getting a much bigger benefit from buying from amazon.com! Consider that guys like Jurgen and Themenshairforum are constantly researching the cheapest hair product sources so the sources they posted for each Gatsby wax in amazon.com and in amazon.co.uk are the cheapest you will find. Yet the amazon.com Gatsby waxes come out better in terms of bigger bang for you buck.

I have only ordered to the US from amazon.com from the Amazon sources the guys post in the forum and I can only say great things about these sources posted by the forum staff and about Amazon itself as a great company with great customer service. Serious here I can afford to make a huge one time purchase at Amazon that at regular store, even a Walmart, I would only be able to buy a couple of products with the same money I can buy a huge number of products at Amazon.

Btw if any of you forum staff are reading can you pls answer one question I had about the Paul Mitchell tea tree shampoo pls? the question is in my Paul Mitchell pomad thread here in the Products section. Thanks!! Cool
04-30-2014, 03:28 PM
Jonny if it is of help to you I buy products all the time from Amazon.COM - USA - to send to Europe & the products always get here in time - with whatever shipping chosen. I never had a problem with buying from Amazon.COM to send to any countries in west or central Europe - I send products to family members & lots of hair products actually for my brothers & lots of cousins I have in Germany, Uk, France & even Poland lol

Basically 99 times out of 100 times the prices of hair products at Amazon.COM are cheaper than at Amazon UK, Amazon DE - Germany - Amazon ES - Spain - Amazon IT - Italy. The shipping from United States is really fast too & never expensive for hair products. If you are buying really heavy stuff or really big stuff from amazon.COM like a freaking 50 inch TV set then yeah the shipping will be a bit expensive lol I know some guys tho who have bought crazy stuff like that from Amazon.COM to bring to Europe. But for small stuff like hair products the shipping is good as Amazon really work on there logistics to always offer the cheapest products - that is how they get so many customers as traditional stores cannot compete against Amazon. However for the US or international customer, Amazon.COM/CO.UK is the best thing since sliced bread Big Grin

Buying from Amazon UK tho has the convenience of getting the stuff, what, in 24 to 48 hours - sometimes longer tho but usually 48 hours. What we always say in the forum for UK members is this:

"For only 1 or 2 small products like wax, gel, pomade & similar, buy from Amazon UK aka Amazon.CO.UK - However, for big purchases like 4+ products of gels, pomades, waxes, shampoo etc or for any expensive products, then at least check out the prices in Amazon USA aka Amazon.COM as you will very likely find that even with shipping, the total cost of the products from Amazon.COM is cheaper than Amazon.CO.UK!"

Whenever you want buy products, start from the recommended hair products thread or from forum threads like this one - or search for the product or similar in the forum - as quite a few of the forum staff - including myself - are always looking out for the best deals & best hair products that our forum members can benefit from so when we recommend products it is from lots of researching & feedback Smile
05-01-2014, 09:34 AM
Well I am placing my order as we speak!! 4 waxes to go, gun look all dapper in a couple of days with all this extra hair shaping rofl
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Vitamins for hair? for fast growth or strong hair? Expert opinions needed please Stevens 33 17,206 11-20-2016 01:35 PM
Last Post: red05five