Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Fu Manchu and horseshoe moustache styles. The Difference?
01-06-2014, 03:39 PM
Fu Manchu and horseshoe moustache styles. The Difference?
Gentlemen, i'm learning the styling of facial hair and currently doing the horseshoe moustache. However to be clear, can anyone let me know the difference between the horseshoe moustache and the Fu Manchu moustache?
I get the main point that both reach chin length and in the case of the Fumanchu moustache style it can 'hang' off the chin but i am getting confused with the insertions of each type of mustache. If any of you expert barbers can clear that out 4 me that would be mucho appreciated my amigos! Smile
Cheers
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2014, 05:14 PM
RE: Fu Manchu and horseshoe moustache styles. The Difference?
Bradley, good question especially since you're learning all the different facial hair styles.

Both the Fu Manchu facial hair style and the Horseshoe facial hair style (aka Biker mustache) can look very similar to the untrained eye. However, they are quite different when it comes to the insertion of the whiskers and area covered of the face.

In the Fu Manchu mustache, the mustache hair only grows above the upper lip and then the whiskers at each end of the mustache (just above the corners of the mouth) are left to grow very long (4 inches or longer) so that they do indeed "hang", but they hang from the upper lip and NOT from the chin!

In the Horseshoe mustache, the mustache grows above the upper lip just like in the Fu Manchu but the mustache ALSO continues down the corners of the mouth running vertically until just before meeting the chin (or half way, the length is down to one's preference). So basically the area of the face that grows a mustache in the Horseshow is long than the area of that in the Fumanchu style; in the latter, the area of hair is only the upper lip mustache while in the former, the area of hair growth also includes a vertical line each running down each corner of the mouth. These lines are called in barbering or facial hair circles, "pipes".

It is the pipes in the Horseshoe that look like the long whiskers of the Fu Manchu when seen from the distance. However, remember, the whiskers in the Fu Manchu are simply hanging above the corners of the mouth while in the Horseshoe, the pipes are what give the Horseshoe its distinct horseshoe or inverted U shape!

If the above sounds a bit confusing, just have a look at the pictures of the FU Manchu style and the Horseshoe style. For what is worth, it is actually very difficult to find someone with an actual Fu Manchu facial hairstyle and many people confuse a Fu Manchu with a Horseshoe.

Look at the pictures:

Fu Manchu facial hair style

The Fu Manchu can be grown as an uninterrupted mustache (first picture) or it can be shaved in the middle just under the nose (second picture and third picture). The latter style is the traditional one associated with Fu Manchu, the fictional character in Sax Rohmer's novels.

[Image: FuManchu4.jpg]

[Image: The_Face_of_Fu_Manchu.jpg]

[Image: PvH0uf3.jpg]

Horseshoe facial hair style

In the Horseshoe, the mustache is uninterrupted and then makes a turn of about 90 degrees to continue down towards the lower jaw but stopping about half way between the corner of the mouth and the chin.

By the way, the last 2 pictures is Sean Connery in the movie Zardoz Big Grin

[Image: 616px-Hulk_Hogan.jpg]

[Image: zardoz-zed-gun1.jpg]

[Image: Zardoz-4.jpg]

If you are still unsure, then let me know.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
01-09-2014, 11:26 AM
damn m8 i would not be able to tell the difference unless it was very obvious the pipes were hanging off the upper lip - good explanation of the differences.
01-09-2014, 04:04 PM
Question for you guys, what do you think this facial hairstyle is, a Horseshoe or a Fu Manchu?

[Image: AFP_Getty-515259169.jpg]

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
01-14-2014, 01:30 PM
(01-09-2014 04:04 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Question for you guys, what do you think this facial hairstyle is, a Horseshoe or a Fu Manchu?

would that be a horseshoe and not of a fumanchu?
02-03-2014, 04:25 PM
(01-09-2014 04:04 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Question for you guys, what do you think this facial hairstyle is, a Horseshoe or a Fu Manchu?

Looks like a horse shoe tache but then the hair dangling & what not mmmm horseshoe?
02-11-2014, 05:08 PM

IN your examples the differences are easy to tell but now am confused Huh lol cause it looks like its the horseshoe becoming so long that it no longer fits the style... i understood and confirmed from your explanation that the horseshoe is only till the chin line so it must then be a fu-manchu it the facial hairs are growing down beyond the chin line... no??
02-21-2014, 01:43 PM
(01-14-2014 01:30 PM)Lordius Wrote:  

would that be a horseshoe and not of a fumanchu?

Well ever since i learnt that this style is officially under the fu manchu category in a contest his actually the winner of the contest. However the style itself really looks more like a blend of the fumanchu AND the horseshoe cause of the pipes and how the hair grows with the pipes rather than hanging off the upper lip which would the latter be a fu manchu.
09-14-2016, 04:19 PM
clearly this is a horsemanchu...
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What are some trendy beard styles? recommendations please Stevens 12 45,097 10-21-2015 03:22 PM
Last Post: newfoundbeardlove