Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
From No Hair To Long Hair
06-01-2014, 07:48 AM
Star From No Hair To Long Hair
Hello all, and welcome to my thread. This'll be a place to track my progress as I go along, get feedback from others on here, and hopefully inspire others to grow their hair long... or help them decide whether it's right for them or not!

I've asked the moderators/admin if they can 'upgrade my account' so I can post clickable links & include embedded images, as that will really help this thread look a lot better. Hopefully they do, but in the meantime i'll just describe products/photos.

So, a brief introduction to me. I'm JC, 21, live in the UK and i'm a YouTuber. When I was a child I really wanted long hair, but unfortunately my Mother wouldn't ever let me. She would say; "Girls have long hair, and you're a boy.", and despite my frustration and continuous hatred of haircuts, she'd never give in. I first decided to grow out my hair when I was 19, but unfortunately due to my first job, I was encouraged to keep it short. Since then, i've tried, but things such as job interviews and important meetings have meant i've had to keep it tidy, and anyone that grows their hair out will tell you that as it goes on, it becomes harder and harder to do that, so I just kept getting it cut... but now, it's time to keep growing for good!

Last Haircut

May 2013. My head basically got shaved. I regretted it instantly.

Current Hairstyle

Picture(s) taken May 2014 (these will be added eventually). Right now it's just long and messy.

Products Used

Shampoo

Head & Shoulders

Nothing fancy. Often changes depending on stock availability & price at my local supermarket, but this is what I tend to look for first. I have thought about getting something with more 'style' but as my budget is thin I tend to look for the cheapest.

Conditioner

Tresemme Moisture Rich Conditioner

Again, very basic. Cheap yet effective. I never used to use conditioner but since my hair has gotten longer i've made it mandatory. I really can tell the difference and I like how soft it leaves my hair afterwards.

Supplements/Oils/Treatments

Lee Stafford Hair Growth Treatment

Now, this is interesting. I first bought this a few months ago, as it was on sale in a supermarket. I'm now on my third tub and use it every 2 nights, after shamming, and before conditioning. So does it work? Probably not. I'd say it's nothing other than a placebo but the reason I continue to buy is (embarrassingly enough..) because I absolutely adore the smell of it, and I do have the slightest belief it's helped grow new hair around the sides. Even if it is a waste of £8.99 every two months, I still think i'll continue to purchase it, at least for the time being.

Jamaican Black Castor Oil

I only used half the bottle of this after I read some very worrying reviews that it actually damages the scalp. Now, that's probably wrong, or maybe they applied it poorly, but it did make me a little bit fearful.

Drying & Styling

Remington D3010 2000W Hair Dryer

Basic, cheap, but does the job. I don't feel like it damages the hair in any way.

Extras

Bobby Pins

My Mother gave me the only two she had a few months ago. They're thin, but secure. Keep the fringe out of my eyes and that's all I need. I don't use the ones (that will be) linked above, although I did purchase them for backup. They seem very open faced, and whilst my hair isn't technically very long they seem a bit useless. I may as well throw them away.

Headband

I just use this when running or at home, just to keep the fringe from dropping down to the eyes at any point.

My Inspirations

Zlatan Ibrahimovic & Jared Leto are my main two, but most that have it long enough for a bun/ponytail are worth drawing motivation from.

What I Hope To End Up With

Quite simply, getting it long enough so it comes down to the middle of my back. It's girly and feminine, but it's what I like.

--

I think that's about it. Thanks so much for reading, and I really hope you enjoy this thread. I'll be sure to keep it updated. Any questions, feel free to ask!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2014, 09:42 AM
RE: From No Hair To Long Hair
I am keeping an eye in this thread for sure! Smile

I have just upgraded your account so that you can post images anywhere in the forum, including in this thread. Be great if you could embed some pictures of your hair. The image hosting site we usually recommend is imgur.com as you don't even have to register to upload your pic and get the code to embed the image.

We have many members growing their hair long but I hope we can get more long haired dudes starting their own blogs/threads to inspire others and get feedback from the community too!

Lots of eyes will be watching your progress, my friend, so stay concentrated with your hair growing as you will be a source of inspiration now! Smile

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
06-01-2014, 10:55 AM (This post was last modified: 06-01-2014 10:56 AM by docks.)
(06-01-2014 09:42 AM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  I have just upgraded your account so that you can post images anywhere in the forum, including in this thread. Be great if you could embed some pictures of your hair. The image hosting site we usually recommend is imgur.com as you don't even have to register to upload your pic and get the code to embed the image.

Thank-you very much! I've created an imgur account and will use that from now on. I used to use Flickr but as i'm a 'lurker' on imgur anyway I may as well make one for ease!

(06-01-2014 09:42 AM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  We have many members growing their hair long but I hope we can get more long haired dudes starting their own blogs/threads to inspire others and get feedback from the community too!

I hope it does inspire others to post as well. It'd be great to have a mini-community within the whole one tracking each others progress. Smile

(06-01-2014 09:42 AM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  I am keeping an eye in this thread for sure! Smile

Lots of eyes will be watching your progress, my friend, so stay concentrated with your hair growing as you will be a source of inspiration now! Smile

Thank-you! I really hope people enjoy it.
06-01-2014, 11:31 AM
Photo RE: From No Hair To Long Hair
PICTURES OF MY HAIR BETWEEN SEPTEMBER 2013 - MAY 2014

So, like an idiot, I forgot to check how often you can edit your posts. I can't go back and edit my opening post in this thread, so I won't be able to put the pictures in the first post, so i've made this one for some images. Here's my progression over the last 8/9 months.

September 2013 (Four months after my last haircut)

[Image: TH4t543.jpg]

Just had an operation, for those wondering about the bandages! I've got 2 scars underneath now so you'll probably notice them in the photos. Anyway, my hair was in the early stages, obviously.

February 2014

[Image: DIyIXcu.jpg]

Starting to grow alright, but I was finding it hard to keep it 'in shape'. The fringe was irritating as hell, so I used some putty to keep it to the sides. It worked alright for a bit, but I don't bother with it anymore.

March 2014

[Image: p27MjPP.jpg]

Beginning to get a bit better at 'styling', so it looks in place. The sides of my hair are the worst, so just tucking it back behind the ears is the easiest to keep it out of the way.

[Image: PZUAz91.jpg]

This is how it looks 'slicked back'. I'm not a massive fan, but it kept the fringe out of sight.

April 2014

[Image: AB2e2cG.jpg]

This is how it looks with nothing but fingers styling it. Yeah, it's a mess, but it was 3AM!

May 2014

[Image: fHavqRJ.jpg]

One of the very few pictures of me I don't hate... mainly because most of my face is being covered up!

[Image: CoG2HaI.jpg]

Just after I got out of the bath. What length would you say this is? I've no idea!

[Image: 9E8bUsY.jpg]

[Image: yx0iwip.jpg]

Last but not least, a couple of mini-ponytail pictures. I don't tie my hair back, but I just wanted to see whether it was long enough. Not yet! But.. at least I know it's growing. The elastics I have are terrible as well. 2 have already snapped and I haven't even been using them properly! I'll have to look at some better quality ones, not just the ones I bought on ebay!

--

That's about it! Any questions, feel free to ask. Hopefully this has helped a few of you wanting to see the progression of hair growth. Oh, and be easy on the criticism of my appearance. I've been single for all of my 21 years so I think I know my nose/mouth and pretty much everything else on my face is a bit 'odd'!
06-01-2014, 12:15 PM
Information RE: From No Hair To Long Hair
ROUTINE

Just a quick post for those wondering what my routine is in order to manage my hair. It's very simple. I have a shower each morning and a bath every 2 nights, so keep that in mind.

Mornings

Wake up, shower, soak and rinse my hair then flick it back. I do not use any products other than the water that comes out of the shower head. As I work from home, it's not really an issue whether my hair looks 'fresh' or not.

Once i've dried, i'll use the Remington D3010 2000W hairdryer to dry the hair, obviously. Whilst doing this I create the middle part, simply by covering one side of the top of my head with my hand, and drying the other. Then, switching. It separates it and it's easy enough. I'll then use the 2 bobby pins my mother gave me on either side of my fringe, just to clip it back. Sometimes i'll use my headband as well, just to ensure no part of my hair will drop down into my eyes.

Evenings

Once i've finished having a relaxing soak in the bath, i'll use the products I mentioned in the opening post. I'll sham using some form of Head & Shoulders brand of products. Pretty cheap, but it gets the job done.

Then, i'll use Lee Stafford Hair Growth Treatment. As I mentioned in the opening post, this is most likely a 'placebo product', but I really like using it. If nothing else it smells gorgeous! I just scoop up a bit with my fingers, place it on the palm of my hand, and massage it into the hair and scalp. I leave it on for 5 minutes before washing it all out.

Finally, i'll use Tresemme Moisture Rich Conditioner to finish up. I never used to bother with conditioner as I thought it was kind of pointless.. well, as my hair has gotten longer, I understand why it's so essential! It really does leave your hair feeling soft and luxurious. The conditioner is pretty cheap but it does what I want.

I'll then rinse it out, and dry my hair as normal.

--

Any questions, feel free to ask! Suggestions are more than welcome too. I'm sure this is a really basic routine which to some is quite a poor method, but as my hair isn't currently at my 'goal length', it's just a good way of maintaining it.
06-01-2014, 01:23 PM
That's some speedy hair growth!

Big difference in how long hair can change the facial aesthetics of a male. You look completely different, and long hair in a male adds character. I like how it is going so far, if you want to reach middle of the back that is about 24 inches give or take. Since your hair is straight, you will be getting the full visible half inch that male hair grows per month.

Your hair must be between 6-8 inches. You start with about 2 inches of length, and some 9 months have passed. That means you have grown about 5 inches in that time, so yeah, somewhere around the 6 to 8 inches length your hair would be now. In your case, measuring your hair is very easy because your hair type is straight so just grab a ruler and measure the hair. For men with wavy/curly/afro textured hair, the hair length measuring is a bit tricky but for guys like you is as easy as sticking one end of the ruler on your scalp and measuring the longest lock Smile

For a man bun like Zlatan Ibrahimovic, you will need 8 to 10 inches. I have seen pictures of Ibrahimovic's hair when dangling and it reaches his shoulders, making his hair length around 10 to 12 inches. You only need 3 to 5 months of extra growth for a full Samurai style man bun, and your hair care looks good too.

Just don't cut your trims as you continue to grow your hair. Simply take good care of your hair, and that's all you need to avoid split ends and damaged tips. I highly suggest that you buy a good set of No Damage Scunci hair ties like this set here (from the UK, or if you want to buy the elastics from the USA, get them here). These are the hair ties/elastics that don't damage your hair, so buy dozens of them as you will lose them all the time (word from a former long hair here Big Grin).

Any plans for any further hairstyles currently? Have a look at this long hairstyles for men inspirational picture collage for some ideas on styling your hair with dangling locks.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
06-02-2014, 03:51 AM
(06-01-2014 01:23 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Big difference in how long hair can change the facial aesthetics of a male. You look completely different, and long hair in a male adds character.

It was my friend who told me i'd look much better with long hair, as my big nose and massive overbite looks really prominent when you have short hair. I am saving desperately for a nose job and orthodontic surgery, as my appearance is one of the biggest factors in my long list of mental health problems, but it's going to take me a very long time! Sad

(06-01-2014 01:23 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  That's some speedy hair growth!

I like how it is going so far, if you want to reach middle of the back that is about 24 inches give or take. Since your hair is straight, you will be getting the full visible half inch that male hair grows per month.

Thank-you! Wow, that is a long time away, as expected! Sad

I've been really hopeful of finding something which accelerates the growth, but so far, all i've found are placebo products and negative reviews. I'd imagine there isn't really anything you can do to really see a rapid growth, just keeping it growing at the average rate is the best you can hope for. That's why i'm trying to keep a good diet and take care of my hair with regular sham/conditioning. I've got a long way to go and I don't want it to take even longer!

(06-01-2014 01:23 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Your hair must be between 6-8 inches. You start with about 2 inches of length, and some 9 months have passed. That means you have grown about 5 inches in that time, so yeah, somewhere around the 6 to 8 inches length your hair would be now. In your case, measuring your hair is very easy because your hair type is straight so just grab a ruler and measure the hair. For men with wavy/curly/afro textured hair, the hair length measuring is a bit tricky but for guys like you is as easy as sticking one end of the ruler on your scalp and measuring the longest lock Smile

Hmm, that's a shame it's grown at no more than the average rate, but it was expected. I'll measure it later but most likely do it wrong! Thanks for the advice.

(06-01-2014 01:23 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  For a man bun like Zlatan Ibrahimovic, you will need 8 to 10 inches. I have seen pictures of Ibrahimovic's hair when dangling and it reaches his shoulders, making his hair length around 10 to 12 inches. You only need 3 to 5 months of extra growth for a full Samurai style man bun, and your hair care looks good too.

Yeah, i've been following Zlatan for a few years as I am a big football fan, and i've always been mesmerised by his hair. I'm not sure whether I could achieve his length by the end of the year, as i've actually seen a reduction in growth over the past 4/5 months (maybe that's just me), but it would be great if I could.

(06-01-2014 01:23 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Just don't cut your trims as you continue to grow your hair. Simply take good care of your hair, and that's all you need to avoid split ends and damaged tips.

Would you recommend I go for 'trims'? I haven't even bothered with that as I was told it does nothing to help your hair grow faster, and just sets your progress back. Plus, £10 for 5 minutes worth of minor cuts doesn't seem worth it!

(06-01-2014 01:23 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  I highly suggest that you buy a good set of No Damage Scunci hair ties like this set here (from the UK, or if you want to buy the elastics from the USA, get them here). These are the hair ties/elastics that don't damage your hair, so buy dozens of them as you will lose them all the time (word from a former long hair here Big Grin).

Added to my basket and will order them ASAP. The elastics I have are shocking so hopefully these will help, thank-you! Didn't realise you used to have long hair as well... wonder if my progress will encourage you to start again? Wink

(06-01-2014 01:23 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Any plans for any further hairstyles currently? Have a look at this long hairstyles for men inspirational picture collage for some ideas on styling your hair with dangling locks.

Wow, that's an awesome collage. I love how dedicated you are to this forum! I do like the ones in the bottom left & right, but I think my hair is too short for that. The top left looks nice as well, but i'd imagine would look a bit dodgy with my facial features. Currently, i'm just keeping a middle part with the fringe out of the eyes. As I work from home & don't go out much, just keeping it neat and tidy is the most important thing. I might experiment soonish but I don't want to mess it up! Blush
06-02-2014, 05:52 PM
(06-02-2014 03:51 AM)docks Wrote:  
(06-01-2014 01:23 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Big difference in how long hair can change the facial aesthetics of a male. You look completely different, and long hair in a male adds character.

It was my friend who told me i'd look much better with long hair, as my big nose and massive overbite looks really prominent when you have short hair. I am saving desperately for a nose job and orthodontic surgery, as my appearance is one of the biggest factors in my long list of mental health problems, but it's going to take me a very long time! Sad

Nah man, you look good and even better with long hair. There are some men that look better with long hair and I think you'll be one of them (just make sure to keep it well cared).

About the overbite (which isn't that much, I know a couple of things about dentistry too Big Grin), have you wondered about growing a beard? The chin hair and beard itself will augment your face and chin projection which can help with facial harmony if the overbite is bothering you too much. Have a look at British model Ricki Hall (click link for pictures and discussion) who he himself has a weak jaw (and facial asymmetry to boot), yet with his beard he gains a lot in terms of character and manliness.

(06-01-2014 01:23 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  That's some speedy hair growth!

I like how it is going so far, if you want to reach middle of the back that is about 24 inches give or take. Since your hair is straight, you will be getting the full visible half inch that male hair grows per month.

Thank-you! Wow, that is a long time away, as expected! Sad

I've been really hopeful of finding something which accelerates the growth, but so far, all i've found are placebo products and negative reviews. I'd imagine there isn't really anything you can do to really see a rapid growth, just keeping it growing at the average rate is the best you can hope for. That's why i'm trying to keep a good diet and take care of my hair with regular sham/conditioning. I've got a long way to go and I don't want it to take even longer!

The only thing that will speed up hair growth (but only to what your genes allow) is good nutrition. Increased protein, zinc, vitamin A and C (and perhaps MSM) help with strengthening the hair and keeping the follicle healthy, plus the protein speeds up growth (a little). I highly suggest that you pick a copy of The Men's Hair Book (click the link) as there is a whole chapter dedicated to optimal nutrition for optimal hair growth (including faster hair growth.

The only drug (as in medication) I can think of is severely restricted and only dispensed with script (and dangerous too, it even isn't for faster hair growth). So you are stuck with an optimal diet and supplementation as described in our hair nutrition discussion and in The Men's Hair Book. Your hair grow this average though, so don't sweat it.

(06-01-2014 01:23 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Your hair must be between 6-8 inches. You start with about 2 inches of length, and some 9 months have passed. That means you have grown about 5 inches in that time, so yeah, somewhere around the 6 to 8 inches length your hair would be now. In your case, measuring your hair is very easy because your hair type is straight so just grab a ruler and measure the hair. For men with wavy/curly/afro textured hair, the hair length measuring is a bit tricky but for guys like you is as easy as sticking one end of the ruler on your scalp and measuring the longest lock Smile

Hmm, that's a shame it's grown at no more than the average rate, but it was expected. I'll measure it later but most likely do it wrong! Thanks for the advice.

(06-02-2014 03:51 AM)docks Wrote:  [quote='TheMensHairForum' pid='5857' dateline='1401654180']For a man bun like Zlatan Ibrahimovic, you will need 8 to 10 inches. I have seen pictures of Ibrahimovic's hair when dangling and it reaches his shoulders, making his hair length around 10 to 12 inches. You only need 3 to 5 months of extra growth for a full Samurai style man bun, and your hair care looks good too.

Yeah, i've been following Zlatan for a few years as I am a big football fan, and i've always been mesmerised by his hair. I'm not sure whether I could achieve his length by the end of the year, as i've actually seen a reduction in growth over the past 4/5 months (maybe that's just me), but it would be great if I could.

Your hair doesn't get shorter unless you cut it. That's not even possible, so it's just Smile

I'd say by the end of the year (6 months) you could have his hair or be only 2 months away from it at a max.

(06-01-2014 01:23 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Just don't cut your trims as you continue to grow your hair. Simply take good care of your hair, and that's all you need to avoid split ends and damaged tips.

Would you recommend I go for 'trims'? I haven't even bothered with that as I was told it does nothing to help your hair grow faster, and just sets your progress back. Plus, £10 for 5 minutes worth of minor cuts doesn't seem worth it!

Yep, never go for trims when growing your hair long. Simply take good care of your mane, which is why you should invest in The Men's Hair Book (paperback copy is only 15 or 16 British pound I think) and it's the encyclopedia for men's hair.

(06-01-2014 01:23 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  I highly suggest that you buy a good set of No Damage Scunci hair ties like this set here (from the UK, or if you want to buy the elastics from the USA, get them here). These are the hair ties/elastics that don't damage your hair, so buy dozens of them as you will lose them all the time (word from a former long hair here Big Grin).

Added to my basket and will order them ASAP. The elastics I have are shocking so hopefully these will help, thank-you! Didn't realise you used to have long hair as well... wonder if my progress will encourage you to start again? Wink

LOL you never know! I can have long hair if I want in my industry and I am tempted. We have lots and lots of long hair guys joining the forum so I am really reminiscing of the times when I had my lengthy locks.

(06-01-2014 01:23 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Any plans for any further hairstyles currently? Have a look at this long hairstyles for men inspirational picture collage for some ideas on styling your hair with dangling locks.

Wow, that's an awesome collage. I love how dedicated you are to this forum! I do like the ones in the bottom left & right, but I think my hair is too short for that. The top left looks nice as well, but i'd imagine would look a bit dodgy with my facial features. Currently, i'm just keeping a middle part with the fringe out of the eyes. As I work from home & don't go out much, just keeping it neat and tidy is the most important thing. I might experiment soonish but I don't want to mess it up! Blush

Yeah middle part is good. You can always experiment but for the neat look, a middle part is fine as that's how long hair will naturally fall as. Just keep in mind that you have the hair type to get away with most long hairstyles for men, especially when your hair gets to shoulder length!

06-03-2014, 04:41 AM
Thumbs Up RE: From No Hair To Long Hair
(06-02-2014 05:52 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Nah man, you look good and even better with long hair. There are some men that look better with long hair and I think you'll be one of them (just make sure to keep it well cared).

Hmm, thank-you, but I don't really see that. My face is a little messed up through vitiligo, bad teeth and so on and so forth and it does frustrate me a lot. Hopefully the long hair will look better on me though, as you said! Smile

(06-02-2014 05:52 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  About the overbite (which isn't that much, I know a couple of things about dentistry too Big Grin), have you wondered about growing a beard? The chin hair and beard itself will augment your face and chin projection which can help with facial harmony if the overbite is bothering you too much. Have a look at British model Ricki Hall (click link for pictures and discussion) who he himself has a weak jaw (and facial asymmetry to boot), yet with his beard he gains a lot in terms of character and manliness.

I've always wanted to try a beard but unfortunately I can't seem to grow one. Even if I leave my face untouched by razors for a month, all I can grow is the thin type of teenage boy wire hairs that sprout. It just looks a mess! I've seen that guy many times before. I'm not surprised that beard is a real 'asset' for him!

(06-02-2014 05:52 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  The only thing that will speed up hair growth (but only to what your genes allow) is good nutrition. Increased protein, zinc, vitamin A and C (and perhaps MSM) help with strengthening the hair and keeping the follicle healthy, plus the protein speeds up growth (a little). I highly suggest that you pick a copy of The Men's Hair Book (click the link) as there is a whole chapter dedicated to optimal nutrition for optimal hair growth (including faster hair growth.

The only drug (as in medication) I can think of is severely restricted and only dispensed with script (and dangerous too, it even isn't for faster hair growth). So you are stuck with an optimal diet and supplementation as described in our hair nutrition discussion and in The Men's Hair Book. Your hair grow this average though, so don't sweat it.

Well I do try and get as much protein into my diet as possible, so i'm glad that is helping. I'll definitely order a copy of that book as everyone seems to speak really highly of it on here. Hopefully it'll help me learn! Smile

(06-02-2014 05:52 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Your hair doesn't get shorter unless you cut it. That's not even possible, so it's just Smile

I'd say by the end of the year (6 months) you could have his hair or be only 2 months away from it at a max.

I'd hope so. I feel like my hair is at this really frustrating stage where I can't do anything with it and it just looks a mess. I've tried a couple of styles at home but keeping the fringe at bay is so important for me. It just drops down onto the eyes without the pins all the time. Even the layers further towards the back will sometimes drop just above the eyes. Very irritating. Can't wait until it's long enough to be tied back.

(06-02-2014 05:52 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Yep, never go for trims when growing your hair long. Simply take good care of your mane, which is why you should invest in The Men's Hair Book (paperback copy is only 15 or 16 British pound I think) and it's the encyclopedia for men's hair.

Ok, i'll avoid any trips to the barbers then.. that's good as I hate going there! I'll definitely order it ASAP once i've got my next pay packet. Hopefully it's easy to understand.

(06-02-2014 05:52 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  LOL you never know! I can have long hair if I want in my industry and I am tempted. We have lots and lots of long hair guys joining the forum so I am really reminiscing of the times when I had my lengthy locks.

Haha, well i'm sure if anyone can make it work, you can. You seem to be a real hair guru!

(06-02-2014 05:52 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Yeah middle part is good. You can always experiment but for the neat look, a middle part is fine as that's how long hair will naturally fall as. Just keep in mind that you have the hair type to get away with most long hairstyles for men, especially when your hair gets to shoulder length!

Well that is good news. Being able to just tie it up is the first 'aim', but as it'll probably take me a while to learn the best styles/techniques, i'd like to experiment for a bit first. Knowing that my hair won't restrict me once it gets to that length is a real plus!
06-03-2014, 09:46 AM
The usual problem when growing hair long (for straight hair) is the fringe getting in front of the eyes. I suggest you not only get hair ties but also headbands so you can pull the hair at the front of your head towards the back and thus not have the fringe on your eyes.

You can get these headbands in the UK that are thin enough and will pull your hair back. Or instead you could get a wide band like this one here. For those of you in the United State or outside Europe/UK, you can get these headbands which are also of the thin type like the first recommended above.

The idea is to have your hair looking like this while it grows long enough (although Leonardo DiCaprio below seems to be wearing an Alice band instead of a headband, but as a guy, you should generally try to avoid Alice bands Big Grin)

[Image: large.jpg]

06-03-2014, 10:26 AM
(06-03-2014 09:46 AM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  The usual problem when growing hair long (for straight hair) is the fringe getting in front of the eyes. I suggest you not only get hair ties but also headbands so you can pull the hair at the front of your head towards the back and thus not have the fringe on your eyes.

[quote='TheMensHairForum' pid='5866' dateline='1401813970']You can get these headbands in the UK that are thin enough and will pull your hair back. Or instead you could get a wide band like this one here.

Funnily enough that second one is actually the one I already have! I use it quite often as it does keep the fringe out of place quite well when running.

(06-03-2014 09:46 AM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  The idea is to have your hair looking like this while it grows long enough (although Leonardo DiCaprio below seems to be wearing an Alice band instead of a headband, but as a guy, you should generally try to avoid Alice bands Big Grin)

[img]"Image posted above"[/img]

I don't mind it too much, but the curled up fringe does look a little 'off' to me. That's why I prefer to use the pins as they just clip it back. Although as I said sometimes the layers further back will drop down, so I guess it could be useful to try them both out. Thanks! Smile
06-19-2014, 10:33 AM
Not really an update, obviously, only a couple of weeks have passed since I opened the thread! However, I have began tying the hair on the top of my head up (does that make sense?), just so my fringe is out of the way. I actually prefer this to using the bobby pins, but this is only when i'm at home. When I go out in public I pin the fringe back instead.

[Image: q3ZMpy5.jpg]

Also, thought i'd post this picture to emphasise what I said before (Excuse the acne!):

(06-03-2014 04:41 AM)docks Wrote:  
(06-02-2014 05:52 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  About the overbite (which isn't that much, I know a couple of things about dentistry too Big Grin), have you wondered about growing a beard? The chin hair and beard itself will augment your face and chin projection which can help with facial harmony if the overbite is bothering you too much.

I've always wanted to try a beard but unfortunately I can't seem to grow one. Even if I leave my face untouched by razors for a month, all I can grow is the thin type of teenage boy wire hairs that sprout.

[Image: tXeFJdW.jpg]

This is unfortunately all I can grow! Sad

I'd love a beard but I think like many things, this is something i'll never be able to have!
06-30-2014, 04:23 PM
Photo RE: From No Hair To Long Hair
July 2014

Wooo, new month. But it doesn't feel like it. Patience really is the key to substantial hair growth, as i've seen some point out in other threads on here. Doesn't help that I can barely sit still for 5 minutes waiting for the bus!

The worst part is knowing it's too long to be tidy yet not long enough to be tied back properly. I'm starting to go out a bit more with it tied up but it just doesn't look right. I think i'll still need about 6-8 months before it'll be at a semi-decent length to tie back.

A couple of friends have suggested I get the sides of my hair cut. I don't know what to make of that. I've considered it, but i'm not sure really. I know only TMHF has posted alongside me in this thread but if any of the lurkers (or TMHF himself) are following my progress, feel free to give some input! I'll most likely leave it for now, but the sides are without doubt the ugliest part.

Anyway, here are some snaps.

[Image: 3wLCTpU.jpg]

Excuse my horribly big nose. Looking for rhinoplasty surgeons as we speak.

[Image: uG3LYBk.jpg]

I need to get better at tying it up as well. Can't seem to get it right.

[Image: Y45VATT.jpg]

These Scunci's are absolutely awesome though! Not a single one has broken and they don't seem to snag or damage the hair (much, if at all).

[Image: K6sF8l3.jpg]

[Image: RJMArx4.jpg]

My headbands arrived though, that's cool. They're not too amazing but they keep most of the hair out of the face when running. They slide quite a little bit and often need readjusting, but, I guess you can't do much about that.

--

Oh, and i've got a new guy for hairspiration. Willy Cartier Heart. Other than being absolutely gorgeous his long hair is definitely a goal length for me. I think this will probably take me a few years though! Big Grin

[Image: willy+cartier6.jpg]
[Image: tumblr_mfpzlmJlgs1s1gky7o1_400.jpg]
[Image: b2e49b48bb2b9eeb4e34cdca3cc7223b.jpg]
[Image: b1af1e81e8e1ad21e95f18f99899caf5.jpg]
[Image: 1f3dad9c25b7b73d1f62f0b8744589e9.jpg]

--

As for personal stuff, i've been trying to work out a bit more and cut down on high fat snacks. I'm hopeful my change in hairstyle can also trigger my mind to realise I can change my whole appearance as well with enough effort.

I'm also conducting a lot of research regarding rhinoplasty. Doesn't help having no car and living in a relatively remote area, as I can't travel whenever I please for consultations, but i'm drawing up a list of surgeons, and i've almost (I say that a lot!) got enough saved up for the average price of surgery.

Oh, and my YouTube channel is closing in on 50,000 subscribers. Could hopefully hit it by the end of the month. Smile

Anyway, thanks for reading. Feel free to comment (seriously, please do. I'm lonely!) and i'll talk to you soon. Smile
07-03-2014, 12:00 PM
Cool docks, you are getting there with your hair. I know it takes some time to grow but hang on there and appreciate the length you currently have Smile. Also great to hear that you are doing these other personal development activities, you definitely have the possibility to change you and the way you are viewing yourself!
07-15-2014, 08:12 PM
Hey haha that's pretty crazy, I've basically been doing the same thing. Your hair is a lot different from mine though, I have really thick wavy hair. Looks like its been growing out pretty good though man, enjoy it for as long as you can. I always say every guy should try to grow out his hair atleast once just to see how it looks.

Happy hair growing!
10-01-2014, 02:00 PM
October 2014

So, it's been three months, thought i'd come back for a quick update.

Though there isn't much to tell you really! Haven't had any cuts or trims still, so it's been slowly growing as per usual. I've began tying it back every day now. Just a real quick bun/pony with hairspray, nothing major. Sometimes i'll use about 30 bobby pins if I don't want to spray my hair for whatever reason yet need to keep it back for things like the gym, but other than that, it's usually the same style.

Been contemplating seeing a hairdresser within the next month or so. Just for a real quick trim around the edges to make it look a bit neater. It does look a bit dodgy, particularly on the sides, but i'm not too sure yet.

Other than that, there's not much to say. I'm very hopeful that by Christmas/New Year, i'll have a much better range of hair to work with, but it seems mine grows at a very low rate.

As for personal stuff, i've lost a bit of weight, and work is meh. Yep, not much to report on with that either! I have almost reached my target amount needed for rhinoplasty as well, so I hope within the next few months I can book a consultation and hopefully get some work done on my Pinocchio nose!

Here's a hairspiration pic. Would love to try this someday! (minus the beard, which I unfortunately cannot grow Sad)

[Image: tumblr_my9trnOCaw1scutnpo1_500.jpg]

And a couple of pics of me of late, just taken to see my growth in hair. These range from mid July to late September, so you might see a tiny bit of growth but nothing substantial.

[Image: lD75dff.jpg]

[Image: QLrgXFa.jpg]

[Image: ci5xI1V.jpg]

[Image: CuQwWm8.jpg?1]
12-01-2014, 12:54 PM
December 2014

So it's been a couple months. What's been happening? Absolutely nothing. My hair growth is still very gradual with no noticeable changes, however I thought i'd add a couple of pics just to show you how it's looking. As the weeks go on, I keep flirting with the idea of getting a haircut, and shaving the sides off, or at least down a bit. I feel as though it would be more beneficial as they're not really shaping up nicely. Keep putting it off though. I think that might be for the best in the long run, but we'll see.

[Image: mxl9lhg.jpg]

As you can see, the growth is gradual but continues at a relatively steady pace. I feel like if I cut the sides shorter, i'd be able to style it a lot better and give it a cleaner look.

[Image: t7YXnAn.jpg]

[Image: hCUjC0h.jpg]

[Image: jvLz4fB.jpg]

The best thing is that I can now fit almost all of it into one single pony, without having lots of strands flying everywhere. Ok, it's still not ready for this look just yet (it's pulling like crazy to stretch it all in!), but it's proof if nothing else that i'm getting closer to achieving a good lot of hair to work with. I'm going to continue with the top bun and loose sides and back style for the time being, but in January/February I think i'll have my hair like the latter 3 pictures posted indefinitely, as this looks a lot, lot better than previous styles.

I'm getting annoyed with one strand though, as you can see in the second to last picture right at the bottom, there's a few strands of hair that ALWAYS come loose and never stay in. It's weird that this happens. It's always on this side and I can never keep them fixed up. Are these strands shorter than the rest or something? No idea.

Anyway, this'll be the last update for me from 2014. Hope everyone who has been reading this has had a good year and i'll see you all in 2015! Smile
12-13-2014, 08:18 PM
Wow, that looks very fast growing. I hope to see more updates in 2015
12-18-2014, 05:55 AM
I am kinda jealous, look at me when i dont use any hairproducts hahaha, i look like a crazy person. But really awesome hair, look forward in 2015
01-01-2015, 11:39 AM
January 2015

Happy New Year to everyone reading the thread! Hope you had a great Christmas as well. I don't really have any updates & pictures to show you, just wanted to 'check in'. I've been really sick over the past week, so admittedly I haven't really been doing much with my hair, just a couple of washes. As we're into 2015 though, I am definitely considering making a change with the sides of my hair, as I still feel like they're making the hair look a lot worse. Whether I get them shaved off or not, i'm uncertain. I guess i'll have to see how I feel. Anyway, if I make a change i'll let you know. For the time being i'm going to let it continue to grow naturally.

(07-03-2014 12:00 PM)_Downfall_ Wrote:  Cool docks, you are getting there with your hair. I know it takes some time to grow but hang on there and appreciate the length you currently have Smile. Also great to hear that you are doing these other personal development activities, you definitely have the possibility to change you and the way you are viewing yourself!

(07-15-2014 08:12 PM)link7188 Wrote:  Hey haha that's pretty crazy, I've basically been doing the same thing. Your hair is a lot different from mine though, I have really thick wavy hair. Looks like its been growing out pretty good though man, enjoy it for as long as you can. I always say every guy should try to grow out his hair atleast once just to see how it looks.

Happy hair growing!

(12-13-2014 08:18 PM)Finesse Wrote:  Wow, that looks very fast growing. I hope to see more updates in 2015

(12-18-2014 05:55 AM)Jawad21 Wrote:  I am kinda jealous, look at me when i dont use any hairproducts hahaha, i look like a crazy person. But really awesome hair, look forward in 2015

Thank-you all! The hair growth has seemed a lot more significant over the past 5/6 months which is great, still a bit frustrated and impatient but i'm getting there!
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Growing long hair (man bun) with fine hair type Bsrfitness 3 7,871 03-13-2016 02:01 PM
Last Post: Eetu00
  Chronicling my long hair journey jaysen_ 6 1,123 12-28-2015 12:42 AM
Last Post: jaysen_
  Short hair to long Journey shahrukhch1 21 9,428 12-15-2015 03:56 AM
Last Post: Fantast1c
  How to get smooth, shiny and soft hair for wavy, frizzy hair - Please HELP John94 3 1,305 10-02-2015 08:27 AM
Last Post: redmenace