Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Folly-cles
01-26-2015, 05:28 PM (This post was last modified: 01-26-2015 05:34 PM by ManVsHair.)
Folly-cles
So glad to find a community of like-minded individuals! Looking forward to learning a lot from all of you!

I’ve always struggled with my hair. I have thick, curly, red hair. As a shy kid, I didn’t really like the attention that my hair got from old ladies, teachers at school, and women at the super-market. They would always compliment my hair and want to touch it. Doesn’t sound that bad, I guess, but at the time I hated it. I hated my hair. My mom would say “You’ll love your hair when you get a little older”. As it turns out, these days I do have more of an appreciation for my curly, auburn locks. It’s part of who I am and what makes me unique (interesting random fact: only 1% of people on earth have red hair).

As I write my first post on the Men's Hair Forum, several hair-related incidents come to mind:

Kindergarten: While playing a game of “duck, duck, goose” on the playground at a Catholic school in Brigantine, New Jersey, the “it” girl refuses to touch my head of red, curly locks as she walks past me. “Duck, duck, ewwwwwww” is what I think I heard her say! The first of many hair-humiliations.

5th Grade: After years of mom styling and blow-drying my hair before school, I decide to take matters into my own hands. I take the blow-dryer and some of my older brother’s hair gel into the bathroom and the prepubescent hair-monstrosities ensue.

Age 18: An African-American friend suggests that I style my thick, Italian / Jewish hair into “waves”, a popular hairstyle among African-Americans created by continuous brushing of the hair and sleeping with a “du-rag” on. I follow the fore-mentioned steps and end up with some awesome waves. I’m affectionately referred to as “Malibu’s Most Wanted”.

Age 23: I’m pulling my hair out (literally) going through my first major life crisis (crises actually); a divorce, unemployment, and near-homelessness all at the same time. (I say “near” because I wasn’t actually homeless. I was sleeping on an air-mattress on the floor of the church I was attending at the time.) I couldn’t afford a haircut, my Jew-fro was completely out of control, and Ramen was on the menu pretty much everyday. It was not fun.

Age 25: While trying to “make it big” as a singer / songwriter in Los Angeles, California, I resort to DIY haircuts in order to save some money. (No wonder I didn’t get a record deal!) I got pretty good at it with time, but it would often take hours of fiddling with mirrors and hot clippers to achieve a half-way decent cut.

Age 26: I quit another job and spend most of 2014 struggling as a real estate agent in Albuquerque, New Mexico. I close one deal the whole year. My hairdresser concludes that I need to see a therapist after doing her best to blend-in another bald-spot on the back of my head that I’ve created through more nervous hair-pulling (not the good kind).

As you can tell, my hair-journey has not always been easy. If you’ve read this far, maybe you can relate.

-Justin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-28-2015, 02:59 AM
RE: Folly-cles
Wow it sounds like your hair has had a pretty eventful life thus far! Great post and welcome! I'm new here too.
02-04-2015, 05:29 PM
RE: Folly-cles
(01-28-2015 02:59 AM)瘋狂理髮師 Wrote:  Wow it sounds like your hair has had a pretty eventful life thus far! Great post and welcome! I'm new here too.

lol yes, eventful to say the least! Thanks man!
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------