Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First time skin fade - Maintenance advice and hair care 0 0
First time skin fade - Maintenance advice and hair care
08-30-2018, 03:51 AM
First time skin fade - Maintenance advice and hair care
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum. Good to meet you all. I had a skin fade for the first time today. It's something I've been toying with the idea of for a while, but I'm really pleased with the cut. I had a few questions though. Firstly, is there any extra care I need to carry out while there's no hair, e.g. moisturising. Secondly, as I've never had a skin fade before, you can see a tan line. Is there any way round that, or not an issue? Finally, I'll post a couple of pictures shortly. Just after thoughts on anything you'd suggest doing differently next time, if I decide to stick with a fade.

Cheers all!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-10-2018, 12:33 PM
RE: First time skin fade - Maintenance advice and hair care
Good on you for getting a skin fade, one of my favorite haircuts as a barber. If you're light skinned, you should be wearing sunscreen when you head out in summer. The tanned lines fade in color after a couple of weeks so don't worry about it. It's a main issue with first timers only. Longer hair is an awesome sunscreen in itself.

You can use a moisturizing cream in the morning if you find your skin getting dry or irritated. If your barber got ya a good skin fade, then you will not experience irritation and probably won't need a moisturizing cream unless you have a skin/scalp condition.

A skin fade haircut is generally a low maintenance haircut with no special care needs to it if you don't suffer from skin conditions or had an unskilled barber doing the skin fade for you.

Upload the pictures to imgur and then post the links here (space out the .com in the url). I'll edit the links out so the pictures show up.
09-10-2018, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the info. I didn't find the skin was dry or irritating, so hopefully that's a good sign. It's grown out a bit now, so debating whether to go for the same next time. As you're a barber it'd be good to hear your thoughts on what you might do differently. I don't use imgur, nor am I massive fan of using it. Is there any other way I can send you a picture? If not, I'll look into signing up to it!

Cheers!
09-11-2018, 12:40 PM
If you liked your skin fade cut, then go with it again. Only drawback to the skin fade is that it needs to be touched up again, as in faded again, every two weeks or so as the hair grows. This may prove a bit expensive.

See our buzz cuts guide for lots of different styles and cuts similar to the skin fade. How long is your hair on the top? If it's short, you may want to consider a high and tight haircut as this is similar to a skin fade and a lot easier. You can even do it yourself if you own a good hair clipper (for such hair clippers, see this thread).
09-11-2018, 02:23 PM
Thanks again for the response! Yes, I did like the skin fade, so I think I'll be going for it again. You're right, it does require a lot of maintenance, and I only book in to get my hair cut every 4 weeks. As much as I'd like to try a high and tight, I definitely don't have the right shaped head for that! Other than using imgur, is there any other way I can share a picture of my last cut. It'd be good if I could get another opinion on whether I should change anything with the style next time!
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Thumbs Up Crew Cut Haircut Guide: How To, Advice, Tips and Styling Photos Panther 2 254 09-19-2018 12:16 PM
Last Post: Panther
  Hairstyle advice for Oblong face bardeeshoo 2 251 09-19-2018 10:02 AM
  Fade Haircut or Undercut Hairstyle for Professional Look? jon69 3 1,483 09-10-2018 12:04 PM
  Growing Out Hair, Need Advice Vanwelson 0 271 05-12-2018 08:44 PM
Last Post: Vanwelson