Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Experience of Pomade with Fine Wavy Blonde Hair
07-27-2015, 02:34 PM (This post was last modified: 07-27-2015 02:37 PM by Duffbear.)
First Experience of Pomade with Fine Wavy Blonde Hair
So I've been reading this forum a lot recently and have picked up on some great tips; the forum has inspired me to grow my hair for an undercut Smile On the forums recommendation I picked up Suavecito Extra Firme to style the side part I'm currently rocking.

Initially, a warning sign for me was the tough, gel like texture, but it spread through my hands well and smelt great so it worked just fine. What really put me off it was how many hairs come out when I applied it, even though it was applied to damp hair. I have never had so many hairs pull out when applying product, and I get a little anxious when I see lots of hairs because I have quite fine hair.

Although initially the hair looked good and sleek the pomade dried my hair out very quickly and it looked like I hadn't washed it for a week. I have been using AC Forming Cream for around a year and have been impressed with how sleek and soft it made my hair look but this was the complete opposite.

With the hair type and colour I have is this what I should expect from pomades? I'm really excited about getting an undercut but I'm not sure what product to style it with.

Thanks for reading Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-28-2015, 08:21 AM
RE: First Experience of Pomade with Fine Wavy Blonde Hair
Hi mate you probably used too much of the Suavecito pomade. The dry hair effect happens with all pomades if you use too much. Try to use a tad less, maybe even 50% of what you used that time. The Suavecito pomade has a good hold but is not an extreme hold, so your hair should feel relatively smooth as you pass you head back. If you search the forums you will read lots of experiences of guys using the Suavecito pomade. It's the one that is recommended for the Jake Gyllenhaal hairstyle in Prisoners in this thread: http://www.menshairforum.com/talk/Thread...cut-advice

I believe that one of our forum members used the Suavecito pomade for the same slick back undercut of Jake Gyllenhaal and posted his picture there.

Always use a pomade with wet or damp hair so that's a god thing which you did. Pomades have a moisturising effect which is what leads to the wet hair look and the high sleek shine. The Suavecito pomade is more of a pomade to use when you just want to look good and not risk your hair to look greasy or too shiny. If you want some extra shine without the grease you can always look at the same water soluble pomade from Layrite. You can read more about the water soluble pomade from Layrite in this pomade review from one of our mods.

Don't worry about the shed hairs. You are seeing more shed hairs with the pomade because pomades lubricate your hair which makes it easier for your shed hairs to be removed. It's the same thing that you get if you use a conditioner or a leave in conditioner. Wetness plus a slicking product will cause your shed hair to be removed with your fingers or comb when styling.

Consider that men with healthy hair and no balding can shed up to 150 hair strands per day and most of it falls thru the day or gets stuck among the rest of the healthy hairs on your head. So when you use a lubricating product like a pomade or a conditioner then all the shed hair that is still on your head will come out. Like I said this is very common of pomades so don't stress about it.

I'd say try using less pomade than you used that time. Also, don't have your hair too wet. Actually what we usually recommend and the forum barbers all recommend too is to have your hair damp, not wet. The difference between damp hair vs wet hair is that wet hair is dripping water while damp hair is wet but not dripping water. So you have 'wet hair' when you finish showering and before drying your hair. You have damp hair when you use the towel to remove the dripping water from your hair but your hair remains moisturised or 'wet' but without dripping water.

If you are unsure of what I have posted then let me know. But basically if you hair is so wet that it is dripping water then using pomade will turn your hair into rock hard hair, just like a extreme hold hair gel would do!
07-29-2015, 05:36 PM (This post was last modified: 07-29-2015 05:37 PM by Duffbear.)
RE: First Experience of Pomade with Fine Wavy Blonde Hair
Thanks for reply back Bradley, much appreciated.

I guess I was a little scared off by my experience with the pomade after being excited about using it, and not getting the results I was expecting. I always find it hard to find a happy medium between wet and dry to style my hair and my fine hair seems to exacerbate it. Also, my hair did harden and it reminded me off how I styled my hair as a kid with cheap gel! So my hair probably was too wet.

I thought the hairs coming out might be normal, just was a little shock to the system as it's nothing I've experienced before with styling products. Your explanation makes a lot of sense.

I'm going to try and give it another go for a few days and see how it goes. Also, does it matter what hair type you have when you use a stronger holding pomade like Suavecito? I thought maybe the Suavecito was overkill for my hair and a lighter pomade might work better?

And finally, I just want to say how fantastic this forum is. So much fantastic advice that's hard to find about men's hair on the internet.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Restylable, matte, water-based product for fine, medium-length hair nysharps 0 69 11-29-2016 12:08 AM
Last Post: nysharps
  How to straighten wavy hair MPrince 0 240 08-20-2016 08:35 AM
Last Post: MPrince
  How to degrease and remove pomade from hair leastwood2 1 616 06-15-2016 09:40 AM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum
  Ponz Grooming hair pomade opinions and experience vicktor.j 0 181 06-13-2016 10:04 AM
Last Post: vicktor.j