Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feedback on my Jimmy darmody hair effort
03-22-2015, 09:48 AM
Photo Feedback on my Jimmy darmody hair effort
Okay so first thing, I would like to blame this forum for making me obsessed with hair. It has turned into a new hobby nowTongueTongue

http://www.menshairforum.com/talk/Thread...-Hairstyle
SO THIS IS WHAT I AIM FOR.

Hair facts
- Naturally wavy and curly, I use flat iron to get it straight
- longest hair length, fringe area 5.5 inches.
- I use volumizing mousse as hair will fall flat without it
- I use hairspray to style.

My ideas
- get barber to thin out my hair
- get back cut shorter when fringe area grows longer

[Image: 0adb3c96-4496-48d6-9239-28976c0db779.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
03-22-2015, 10:19 AM
You already have the shaped haircut of Jimmy Darmody. Time to get a good pomade!
You pretty much have the shaped hair by now. I can see you have the Undercut too so that's as far as you need for the actual slicked back Undercut.

Have you tried a pomade? I understand your point of using a volumizing mousse to get some volume up (styling mousse is great for this). Pomades tend to be heavier products with more water content than styling mousse, so using a pomade would end up with your hair looking flatter and possibly less straight. I take it that your hair is straightened in the picture? Or is that your natural hair type?

Considering that you want to go with the Jimmy Darmody look (and who doesn't!), I highly recommend that you use a pomade with high sheen. What we recommend to newcomers (to hair products) in the forum is to start with a water-based pomade instead of an oil-based pomade, since the latter is easily overdone and leads to greasy-looking hair. Instead, a water-based pomade is much more forgiving when it comes to overdoing the amount of product used.

A great water-based pomade for the Jimmy Darmody look is THIS pomade here from Layrite. It gives that oldschool high-sheen finish but it's also easier to clean (any shampoo will do) and it also has a strong hold so that it keeps your hair slicked back. That Layrite pomade in the link is as cheap as it gets for such quality of pomade.

If you still want more volume with the pomade, you can use a hair dryer to give more volume to your locks. Actually, a styling mousse and a hair dryer are among the best products to volumize the hair and we usually recommend that combination in the forum. The hair dryer alone will still work to give you extra volume and enough for what you want to achieve, since you don't need a lot of vertical volume if emulating Jimmy Darmody's hairstyle.

Have a look at our recommended hair dryers in the link if you haven't bought a hair dryer yet. A hair dryer is also useful for other hairstyles in which you're looking for vertical volume, so spending some bucks on a good hair dryer is something reasonable. But, again, it's the pomade what will do the magic to give you a Jimmy Darmody-esque hairstyle! Smile

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
03-22-2015, 11:23 AM
RE: Feedback on my Jimmy darmody hair effort
(03-22-2015 10:19 AM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  You pretty much have the shaped hair by now. I can see you have the Undercut too so that's as far as you need for the actual slicked back Undercut.

Have you tried a pomade? I understand your point of using a volumizing mousse to get some volume up (styling mousse is great for this). Pomades tend to be heavier products with more water content than styling mousse, so using a pomade would end up with your hair looking flatter and possibly less straight. I take it that your hair is straightened in the picture? Or is that your natural hair type?

Considering that you want to go with the Jimmy Darmody look (and who doesn't!), I highly recommend that you use a pomade with high sheen. What we recommend to newcomers (to hair products) in the forum is to start with a water-based pomade instead of an oil-based pomade, since the latter is easily overdone and leads to greasy-looking hair. Instead, a water-based pomade is much more forgiving when it comes to overdoing the amount of product used.

A great water-based pomade for the Jimmy Darmody look is THIS pomade here from Layrite. It gives that oldschool high-sheen finish but it's also easier to clean (any shampoo will do) and it also has a strong hold so that it keeps your hair slicked back. That Layrite pomade in the link is as cheap as it gets for such quality of pomade.

If you still want more volume with the pomade, you can use a hair dryer to give more volume to your locks. Actually, a styling mousse and a hair dryer are among the best products to volumize the hair and we usually recommend that combination in the forum. The hair dryer alone will still work to give you extra volume and enough for what you want to achieve, since you don't need a lot of vertical volume if emulating Jimmy Darmody's hairstyle.

Have a look at our recommended hair dryers in the link if you haven't bought a hair dryer yet. A hair dryer is also useful for other hairstyles in which you're looking for vertical volume, so spending some bucks on a good hair dryer is something reasonable. But, again, it's the pomade what will do the magic to give you a Jimmy Darmody-esque hairstyle! Smile

Thank you for the advice.
Okay so do you have a cheaper pomade.
You know I have the typical student problems, using a shampoo which cost a £1 right now.

Yes that is straightened, but to low heat. I can get it more straight if I use a higher temperature.

In terms of the actual haircut, jimmy darmody has the fringe really long? and the back short?

Also do to my thick hair, should I get it thinned out, to make it more manageable?
What do thinning shears actually do? cut hair at different lengths?
Thread Closed 
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------