Twitter

[-]
Follow Us on Facebook!

[-]
Follow Us on Google!

[-]
Recent Posts
My Haircut Journey
I’ve been reading through all the introductions, read some of the blogs, so . . .Thebarbered1 — 01:56 PM
Hey!
Hey everyone! My name is Jay, and I'm from the UK (unintentional rhyme ;p) I'm . . .Thebarbered1 — 01:51 PM
Hey
Hi guys Guy from southern europe checking in ;) Have fun Hi SteevThebarbered1 — 01:49 PM

Fade Haircut: How to, Hairstyles, Pictures, Products
07-05-2013, 03:47 PM
Fade Haircut: How to, Hairstyles, Pictures, Products

Fade haircut is based on tapering the hair to the skin and there is many types of fade haircuts: high fade, low fade, high top fade, afro fade or a simple fade. The fade is where it is blend to the skin so a high fade is blend into the skin about an inch below the head's top.

Going with the tradition of the forum, let's make a thread on all about the fade haircut including pictures, how-to, content, hair products etc so we make this fade haircut thread an epic one.

Click images below to enlarge

Fade haircut

The hair is tapered down so that it blends to the skin on the hairline, this is the most common "fade" haircut (so a regular fade).

High Fade haircut

Blends high on the head and usually leaves whitewalls or sections of the scalp (sides and the back) with no hair at all).

Low fade haircut

The hair blends low on the hairline but not at the hairline, about an inch to two inches before the hairline.

Afro fade

An afro fade is also known as an Afro Blowout, this is basically a regular fade haircut with the hair on the top cropped short and shaped around the skull so the hair's shape looks round. An afro blowout fade is a very popular hairstyle with black men. Will Smith is known for his afro fade blowout.

Normally what goes on the top of the head with a fade is whatever one wants, so the fade haircut simply is about where the hair disappears (i.e. blends) on the scalp. Other than with an Afro fade you can cut the hair on the top of your head like you want.

Oldschool barber getting it on with the internet era.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-05-2013, 04:06 PM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2013 04:07 PM by Barber.)
RE: Fade Haircut: How to, Hairstyles, Pictures, Products
How to do a fade haircut

Doing a Fade haircut by yourself is no easy task. I'm a barber but i'm cool telling people to tyr to cut their hair if it's an easy cut, but for a fade haircut, I recommend you to see a good barber as doing a right fade is not easy and making a small single mistake can ruin your fade and you'll have to clip it all in the end and do a High and Tight haircut if you got lucky and didn't ruin the edge of the fade (top blends with side and back).

To do a Fade haircut, you must have a high quality hair clipper, this is very important because you want one that can stand overheating, has calibrated guards and will not turn off half way through the fade haircut (in case of cordless hair clipper). You will also need a good mirror, better one with several sides so you can see all fo your scalp with one look.

Once you ensure you ahve the right hair products for yoru fade haircut, then grab the clipper at the highest guard you want, say a 3.5 or 4. Buzz the sides and back (all), then grab a lower guard (a 3 for example) and buzz everything on the sides and back except for a one inch wide band on the top of the sides and back which remains with a 4. Once you clip with the 3, then use a number 2 (for example) and clip everything down on the sides and back except for another 1 inch band that remains with a 3 (and your higher band with a 4). Continue decreasing guards until you reach the nape hairline.

Because a fade blends into the skin, you want the last clipped band to be clipped with no guard, so make your bands (with each guard number) a wide as you want. you truly have to experiment with the width of the bands as the shorter the band the higher up your fade haircut will "fade". If the transition between guard numbers leaves sharp edges, then retouch them with a guard number that is half way through the two bands: if you used a 4 for one band then a 3 for another band, use a 3.5 to go through the edge between the bands to smooth it.

Hair products for a Fade haircut

Get any of these high quality hair clippers for your fade haircut

Hair clippers with electric cord

Oster Classic 76 Professional Hair Clipper: among the best hair clippers money can buy, used by barbers and is heavy duty.

Oster Professional 76023-510 Fast Feed Clipper: powerful (step down from the Classic 76), great for thick hair

Wahl 79524 24-Piece Deluxe Hair Clipper Kit: great value hair clipper

Cordless hair clippers

Wahl 79600-2101 Lithium Ion Cordless Clipper: powerful and light

Panasonic ER224S All-in-One Cordless Hair and Beard Trimmer: lots of lengths to choose from and great for defining the hairline.

Wahl Sterling Eclipse Clipper Lithium battery: battery lasts super long and clipper is very easy to use.

The above hair clippers are taken from a discussion thread on the forum on hair clippers, I recommend you to also read that thread:

We have a thread on this forum on the best hair clippers so check it out:
http://www.menshairforum.com/talk/Thread...-good-ones

Mirror for your Fade haircut

Conair 3 panel mirror: excellent mirror by the same guys who make hairstyling products

Jerdon tabletop 3 mirrors: really handy and similar price to Conair one.

Single magnifying mirror: ideal to put behind your main mirror, helpful for retouching and assessing the final fade haircut.

Oldschool barber getting it on with the internet era.
07-05-2013, 04:32 PM
Top hair advice as usual coming from you Barber! Thanks for the instructions on how to do a fade haircut, sure it will help many of our forum members. And the hair products are very well chosen plus we discussed the hair clippers on the other thread.

Adding a few fade haircut pictures to the thread:

Will Smith afro blowout fade haircut

[Image: OB-XR618_will_E_20130602235907.jpg]

Shemar Moore high fade haircut

[Image: shemar_moore.jpg]

[Image: shemar+1.jpg]

Will Smith high top fade haircut

Promotional poster for The Fresh prince of Belair - click to enlarge picture attached

Also don't forget to also check our popular black men's haircuts thread as we include the fade haircut among other haircuts suitable for black males.

http://www.menshairforum.com/talk/Thread...d-Products

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

To buy hair products with confidence and at the lowest prices online, please visit our trusted sponsor The Men's Hair Shop.
You can also check out our forum's best hair products for men thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
07-05-2013, 05:44 PM
What a regular fade haircut looks like (featuring Alonzo Mourning!)

[Image: SportsMourning_t440.jpg?9e2a24ba44807f8f...f6ded075dc]

[Image: Alonzo_Mourning_hornets_display_image.jpg?1282105801]

Fade haircuts have always been popular in the NBA - just saw you Barber post Patrick Ewing's high top Fade haircut on the black men's haircuts thread too

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

To buy hair products with confidence and at the lowest prices online, please visit our trusted sponsor The Men's Hair Shop.
You can also check out our forum's best hair products for men thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
07-06-2013, 07:20 PM
oh this is my thread, nuthing like a good fade, whitewalls and all!
you know you want it

[Image: hi-res-6732934_crop_650.jpg]
07-06-2013, 07:23 PM
close that fade son

[Image: 409165580_640.jpg]
08-26-2013, 06:02 PM (This post was last modified: 08-26-2013 06:03 PM by Alex.)
Some more high top fade haircut pictures I found btw, nba player

[Image: elite-daily-norris-cole-high-top-fade.jpg]

[Image: cole_374583.jpg]

[Image: flattop_1.jpg]
08-26-2013, 06:26 PM
I know that NBA guy you posted above Alex Smile, here are some more pictures of him with a regular Fade haircut:

[Image: Norris+Cole+Miami+Heat+Media+Day+t8SUAQ3xhLsl.jpg]

[Image: norris-cole.jpg]

And the Fade from the front:

[Image: Norris_Cole_Miami_Heat_Guard.jpg]

[Image: 600_norrissigning_111209.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Face shape haircut and hairstyle guide for men Sunset 0 81 Today 09:19 AM
Last Post: Sunset
  Mens Hairstyles 2013 Best hair styles of the year? Bradley 12 3,496 Today 08:06 AM
  Men's Hairstyles 2014 Trends: Epic Guide with Pictures TheMensHairForum 27 44,493 Today 08:04 AM
  Mens Hairstyles and Face Shapes Guide: Round, Triangle, Square, Oval Bradley 15 10,736 Yesterday 11:27 AM