Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excited for the Journey!
07-05-2015, 09:41 AM
Excited for the Journey!
Hey Guys!

Just want to introduce myself real quick. I'm a student at a school in the Midwest spending my summer in Manhattan. It's pretty sweet!

I began my hair journey a few months ago when I lurked on this forum for a bit and read Rogelio's Curly Hair Book. I figured out I have type 1 wavy curls (rad!) and tried growing my hair out. I didn't strategize super well and I think that experiment was a failure so I ended up cutting it ha! I want to try again and figure my odds of success are better if I actively participate in the community rather than just lurk. Plus, it makes the whole process more fun. Look forward to getting to know all of you better.

Ben
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-05-2015, 10:02 AM
We're happy to see another curly member joining the forum and growing his mane!
Welcome, Ben!

Great to see your enthusiasm in growing your hair longer. It is a journey indeed but you just have to ensure that you know the basics well. You've already got two sources of great knowledge for hair care and for growing your curls longer: The Curly Hair Book (which we see as one of the must-have hair products for curly men) and this forum where you will find sections dedicated exclusively to curly hair (Curly Hair section) and long hair (Long Hair section).

As you will know since you've read The Curly Hair Book, you have wavy hair which falls under curly hair too. Your Type I curly hair is a form of very loose curls but the basics are the same as for men with tighter curls like Type V curls. You then modify several parts of your hair care and grooming routines and you're golden!

Since you've been lurking this forum, you're probably aware of many threads that have a lot of hair care advice and especially for men growing their hair long. One thing that you must get right is your shampoo frequency (which has almost a whole chapter dedicated to in The Curly Hair Book) and which we recommend you read this men's shampoo and conditioner discussion for more feedback on using a shampoo and a conditioner. As a wavy haired guy growing his hair long, you must use a conditioner after shampooing (never forget this!).

I'm also aware that Rogelio Samson is big on using leave-in conditioners and your own sebum (I too have read both of his books) and he's indeed correct on these two being the essence of keeping your hair healthy. We have this men's leave-in conditioners discussion with recommended leave-in conditioners for men. I suggest that you read that thread in case that you haven't got a leave in conditioner just yet.

As for your own sebum, I think that The Curly Hair Book does an excellent job in telling you what it is and how to do it. Simply massage your scalp and then try to spread the sebum through your wavy curls. We've touched on this method in other threads so feel free to browse the different threads. As a forum member, you can search the forum, so make use of the search function as we have thousands of threads and posts on men's hair!

I've also upgraded your account so that you can post, embed and upload pictures. I suggest that you open a new thread in the Blogging section and use that thread to update on how your hair growing process goes along as well as get feedback. Rogelio Samson used to post in this forum but isn't around much these days, but rest assured that we have other curly hair experts and barbers who are always keen to help.

Welcome again and I hope to see you around in the forum, Ben!

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Excited to join! Hairucation 1 490 03-18-2015 01:02 PM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum
Wink New Member's Hair Journey breadcrumbz 1 570 03-16-2015 07:27 AM
Last Post: Jurgen
  Started my journey on self-hair cut .... buddhaseeking 2 975 10-03-2014 11:50 PM
Last Post: buddhaseeking
  Curly Journey helpmyhairhelp 0 588 07-07-2014 10:06 PM
Last Post: helpmyhairhelp