Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Everyday hair wash?
01-23-2014, 07:47 AM
Everyday hair wash?
Hello.
I didn't find any similar thread.
i wanted to ask what is the best thing to use for an everyday wash of hair.
I read some Greek forums, but the opinions are often opposite.

e.g someone says that everyday wash is bad for the hair and bad for acne too.
Another one says it's good for acne.
My barber says that green soap is good for an everyday use.
But i read that green soap includes an ingredient that is bad for the hair.

I recently started using (water-based) pomade everyday, so I really have to wash my hair everyday.
What should I use? Green soap or a special shampoo? (I am not sure if we will have the same brands here in my country)..

By the way, I don't have a hair loss problem. (up until now anyway).
(my dad also doesn't have one, neither did my grandfather. so I guess it's heredatery)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-27-2014, 03:14 PM (This post was last modified: 01-27-2014 03:15 PM by Stevens.)
RE: Everyday hair wash?
Nah I dont wash my hair every day as i follow the no shampoo method from Rogelio Samson in the Mens Hair book. I shampoo right now every 3 days and it makes my hair look thicker and also needs less styling product lol
Before when I washed my hair daily my hair would feel squeaky clean but also dry and life-less so i followed the shampoo method of Rogelio and slowly start shampooing less often, every 3 days is perfect for me and this method alone has changed my hair styling more than any actual hair products. Give the method a go lots people are using his method and its actually healthy for the hair and the scalp Smile
01-28-2014, 11:10 AM
yes I don't shampoo my hair every day because after trying some days with no shampoo my hair look better!
I have the book >the mens hair book< and when i read i follow instructions in the book that the hair can be shampoo one day and the next day use no shampoo. The instructions also say in the book that more days of no shampoo is good but to follow the system in the book so one more day with no shampoo you add after 2 weeks, etc, etc
Sorry if I dont explain good my english not very good for writing i can read and understand but not write jaja if you have more questions of the book and the system maybe i can help with some questions because the system in the book is very logical and easy to understand and after reading is very useful because you have the perfect routine for your hair.
01-28-2014, 11:18 AM (This post was last modified: 01-28-2014 11:20 AM by titanic.)
I understand, but I can't sleep with the pomade on my hair.
i don't think it's healthy.
I use it everyday, so I should wash my hair every day to take it off.

At a time that I had really short hair and didn't put anything on it, i too washed them every 3 days or so.

Athletes don't have to wash their hair everyday?
What do they use?
02-01-2014, 05:09 PM
(01-28-2014 11:18 AM)titanic Wrote:  I understand, but I can't sleep with the pomade on my hair.
i don't think it's healthy.
I use it everyday, so I should wash my hair every day to take it off.

At a time that I had really short hair and didn't put anything on it, i too washed them every 3 days or so.

Athletes don't have to wash their hair everyday?
What do they use?

If u actually read the book he goes thru all the steps to do if your using strong pomade and how to clean your hair without the shampoo so you dont have to shampoo everyday and he even says you can shampoo every day but that you have to do it right and thats what all guys get wrong and end up drying their hair and then needing even more hair products... its a vicious cycle and his methods break thru the vicious cycle.
I use his no shampoo method and the others method of the book and i have more than halved the amount of hair product i used to use as my hair now is much easier to style and requires very little product use as the sebum itself is like a styling product by itself if u get the method rite.
02-03-2014, 04:59 AM
you can wash your hair everyday but not with shampoo. It will cause of hairloss. So just use your bathing soap.
02-07-2014, 05:49 AM
I used to shampoo my hair a lot, but recently I just wash out my hair product (I don't use pomade such as Murrays) at night.
And when I restyle my hair in the morning I just make it wet, I don't use any shampoo.
I only shampoo my hair once or twice a week lately.
02-07-2014, 07:32 AM
(02-07-2014 05:49 AM)B Lad Wrote:  I used to shampoo my hair a lot, but recently I just wash out my hair product (I don't use pomade such as Murrays) at night.
And when I restyle my hair in the morning I just make it wet, I don't use any shampoo.

Yes, that's pretty much the same shampoo frequency I have found works best for me too when I am not sweating too much like in summer time that I spend most my time outdoors hiking.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
02-24-2014, 01:44 PM
(02-07-2014 07:32 AM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  
(02-07-2014 05:49 AM)B Lad Wrote:  I used to shampoo my hair a lot, but recently I just wash out my hair product (I don't use pomade such as Murrays) at night.

Yes, that's pretty much the same shampoo frequency I have found works best for me too when I am not sweating too much like in summer time that I spend most my time outdoors hiking.

yep i find the same as you guys found. Less is more!!
03-03-2014, 01:52 PM
My hair is black and thick, so I had to learn a long time ago the hard way that washing every day was doing me no favours. I've struggled to find a balance for years but recently washing every 3 days and rinsing the product on the off days with just water has proved effective.

But I think every day is too much for any type of hair to be honest.
03-07-2014, 05:00 PM
(03-03-2014 01:52 PM)AD120790 Wrote:  My hair is black and thick, so I had to learn a long time ago the hard way that washing every day was doing me no favours. I've struggled to find a balance for years but recently washing every 3 days and rinsing the product on the off days with just water has proved effective.

But I think every day is too much for any type of hair to be honest.

Yes I agree. Many people here already are not washing every day thanks to The Men's Hair Book and the no shampoo method in the book. Like you say it is about finding a balance because not every man shares the same frequency of shampoo use. It can also change because for example in summer you may be more time outdoors and your hair gets dirty much faster!

Btw Rogelio in The Men's Hair Book shares his method - no shampoo method - to find out your perfect frequency of shampoo use. I am saying this because if you dont follow a method and track your progress, then it is very easy to get lost and waste lots of time. Like you I also struggled to find a good balance a long time ago but once I started doing the 2 week block trials of the no shampoo method where you calculate your perfect frequency of shampoo, I saw results fast and found my perfect frequency which is similar to yours too Smile
03-11-2014, 09:36 AM
if you use wax everyday then do you need to wash it out every night, how often should you shampoo to wash it out?
03-11-2014, 01:28 PM (This post was last modified: 03-11-2014 01:29 PM by AD120790.)
To the above poster- I use a professional matte wax (I won't mention which incase product plugs are against forum rules. It's called a "Sculptor" so I'm sure some of you will know what I mean anyway). I have found mostly that on it's own it doesn't make my hair greasy on the second day. Rinsing it with just water usually gets rid of excess, although I always make sure not to apply any extra product when styling second day hair as wax always seems to linger somewhat in texture if not in shine. And as we all know, too much texturing of hair can weigh it down.

The reason I recommend a more professional wax is because the high-street ones from my experience tend to make my hair greasy on the second day. It's just my experience though so take it with a pinch of salt!
03-12-2014, 04:51 AM
what i am asking is, if you use wax daily, should you wash it out of your hair every night as hairdressers recommend you do, and when you wash it out daily should you use shampoo or just water? because reading this thread has left me a bit confused. my hair is thinning so i want to be careful not to make it any worse
03-12-2014, 05:30 AM
(03-12-2014 04:51 AM)ak786 Wrote:  what i am asking is, if you use wax daily, should you wash it out of your hair every night as hairdressers recommend you do, and when you wash it out daily should you use shampoo or just water? because reading this thread has left me a bit confused. my hair is thinning so i want to be careful not to make it any worse

Most waxes leave way too much residue, and thinning hair doesn't have as much bulk (in total and compared to pre-thinning) which means that any amounts of residue left over from the wax (which isn't washed out with shampoo) will weigh down your hair excessively which will directly affect the styling outcome. I would shampoo the wax every night. Shampooing every day isn't the end of the world (even when thinning), and it certainly needs to be done if you're using heavy-residue products like waxes, gels and pomades.

Perhaps also consider changing to a lighter type of wax such as this one from TIGI. I know some members in this forum do not require daily shampooing with that one as it isn't as heavy as the more regular waxes. Must be said though that the guys in the forum who use this wax are also following the No Shampoo method in The Men's Hair Book which allows them to calculate shampooing frequency through a template, so you may still need to shampoo every day with this wax if not following the No Shampoo method since the TIGI wax is still a wax and by default hair wax leaves residue (all hair products do leave residue, just some more than others).

Lastly, you can consider switching to hair mousse, which also gives body to he hair and helps with shaping (but the finish is different). Hair mousse plus the use of a hair dryer (simply point it to the hair when styling) can give a lot of volume to your hair which is specially useful for thinning hair (if you want to try a good voluminizing mousse then this styling mousse works very well and is quite affordable).

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
03-13-2014, 05:59 AM
I am using the tigi wax for my hair, is this the best hair product to use for the undercut style, also when you get the undercut, should you get it blended in or just leave it as it? i was thinking of switching to pomade for this style. When using this wax i was washing my hair every night to get the wax out. I shampooed my hair every other day but after a couple of weeks i could notice my scalp started to show with my hair thinning. this is the reason i was asking. if i use something like a daily moisturizing shampoo to wash it out on a daily basis that should be fine?
03-14-2014, 01:31 PM
(03-13-2014 05:59 AM)ak786 Wrote:  I am using the tigi wax for my hair, is this the best hair product to use for the undercut style, also when you get the undercut, should you get it blended in or just leave it as it? i was thinking of switching to pomade for this style. When using this wax i was washing my hair every night to get the wax out. I shampooed my hair every other day but after a couple of weeks i could notice my scalp started to show with my hair thinning. this is the reason i was asking. if i use something like a daily moisturizing shampoo to wash it out on a daily basis that should be fine?

Yes, a daily moisturizing shampoo will be fine. Moisturizing shampoos tend to be gentler on the hair so they are good for daily use. Have a look at our best hair products for men discussion to see the exact branded products we recommended, including which moisturizing shampoos we recommend.

When it comes to the Undercut, the old-school Undercut does not have the perimeter (the edges) smoothed (i.e. tapered or faded). The Undercut is in fact a "bowl cut" which means that a sharp perimeter is expected. However, the Undercut as a haircut was a military haircut so aesthetics wasn't much of a priority. The classic slicked back Undercut is a style that actually thrives on the sharp edges created between the hair on the sides and back that has been clipped (i.e. under cut!) and the hair on the top of the head.

You can smooth the perimeter a little, that's fine, and it actually works best for men with curly hair and for men with too much hair (i.e. dense hair). In your case, provided that you are thinning more evenly across the scalp instead of just on the temples or vertex, the Undercut should be fine without smoothing it. If you still don't like the sharp edge created in the perimeter of the cut, then you can always smooth it by using a clipper length (i.e. guiding comb or guard) that is 2 numbers higher than the clipper length you used for the actual Undercut. So, if you clipped your Undercut with a #2, then use a #4 across the perimeter in a parallel line, starting at one temple and ending at the other temple.

But, as I say, straight hair that isn't too dense can look good with sharp edges, especially if slicked back like in the picture below:

[Image: 6df3f83d545c7ef9d526d3230e8fafbb.jpg]

The TIGI hair wax we recommend goes very well for natural looking "fixed" styles. For example, if you want to tousle your hair (e.g. a messy hairstyle) then the TIGI wax will give you a natural texture. On the other hand, waxes like this Gatsby wax give a more artificial plastic-like texture, which can look really cool and which goes very well for shaping hairstyles that require the hair to be upstanding up (think of it like hair gel but without the dry texture). Since you've mentioned pomades, we highly recommend either the Suavecito pomade for a more natural casual look or the Layrite pomade for a more "fixed" and shaped style with some gloss and sheen. Both pomades are water based so they are easier to wash than most of the pomades out there.

03-15-2014, 03:57 AM
which is better for the slick back undercut, pomade or wax?
03-15-2014, 04:07 PM
(03-12-2014 05:30 AM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  
(03-12-2014 04:51 AM)ak786 Wrote:  what i am asking is, if you use wax daily, should you wash it out of your hair every night as hairdressers recommend you do, and when you wash it out daily should you use shampoo or just water? because reading this thread has left me a bit confused. my hair is thinning so i want to be careful not to make it any worse

Most waxes leave way too much residue, and thinning hair doesn't have as much bulk (in total and compared to pre-thinning) which means that any amounts of residue left over from the wax (which isn't washed out with shampoo) will weigh down your hair excessively which will directly affect the styling outcome. I would shampoo the wax every night. Shampooing every day isn't the end of the world (even when thinning), and it certainly needs to be done if you're using heavy-residue products like waxes, gels and pomades.

Perhaps also consider changing to a lighter type of wax such as this one from TIGI. I know some members in this forum do not require daily shampooing with that one as it isn't as heavy as the more regular waxes. Must be said though that the guys in the forum who use this wax are also following the No Shampoo method in The Men's Hair Book which allows them to calculate shampooing frequency through a template, so you may still need to shampoo every day with this wax if not following the No Shampoo method since the TIGI wax is still a wax and by default hair wax leaves residue (all hair products do leave residue, just some more than others).

Lastly, you can consider switching to hair mousse, which also gives body to he hair and helps with shaping (but the finish is different). Hair mousse plus the use of a hair dryer (simply point it to the hair when styling) can give a lot of volume to your hair which is specially useful for thinning hair (if you want to try a good voluminizing mousse then this styling mousse works very well and is quite affordable).

Now this above is why i love this forum and admin TMHF specially (no homo Big Grin). I try to visit the forum at least once a day to find gems like this one but my gf cant seem to understand my reasons for wanting to log in every day here lol

(03-15-2014 03:57 AM)ak786 Wrote:  which is better for the slick back undercut, pomade or wax?

The guys in the forum recommend pomades for the slick back undercut.
They have a guide in one of the links in the previous post and i found the pomade they recommended works great for slicking the hair to the back. I did try wax and gel just for the sake of it but found them to get my hair too bulky. The Suavecito pomade TMHF recommended to you in his previous post works really well for slicking without the bulky hair or the grease mop that some pomades turn your hair into lol
03-18-2014, 02:58 PM
(03-15-2014 03:57 AM)ak786 Wrote:  which is better for the slick back undercut, pomade or wax?

Pomade, and preferably a water based one such as this one (for a matte effect) or this one (for a medium shine effect). Choose the matte pomade from the link for a more casual slicked back undercut or choose the medium shine pomade from the link for a classic and flatter slicked back undercut (can also be used for slicking the hair back without the need for the actual Undercut haircut).

The above pomades are easier to wash off compared to the more-regular pomades and they provide the great slick of a regular pomade but with all the advantages of being easier to wash and great for shaping (especially the medium shine pomade in the link above).

Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------