Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Epic Styling Guide for Slicked Back Hair - How To, Pictures and Products
02-16-2014, 02:31 PM
Epic Styling Guide for Slicked Back Hair - How To, Pictures and Products
This is an epic guide for styling slicked back hair. The goal is to show you how to slick back your hair and what products to use for this classic hairstyle. Likewise, we want to introduce to you the two types of slicking that we have created and coined in this forum: the classic slick and the modern slick.

About the style

Slicking the hair in a backwards fashion has been in vogue for over 100 years now with the invention of pomade and other hairstyling products that fixed the hair. In the beginning, pomade used to be made of boar fat and apple peelings, and nowadays pomades have much more effective and more synthetic ingredients. In this guide we will also let you know what pomades to use to slick back hair.

Pictures of the slicked back hairstyle

While we will be covering in this guide the two types of slicking, the following pictures will give you an idea of how a slick back looks in general. The hair is simply combed/styled in a backwards direction starting from the forehead hairline, so pay special attention in the following pictures at how the hair on the top of the head follow the same backwards direction and pattern.

[Image: OCLJEwQ.jpg]

[Image: KuPyw9r.jpg]

[Image: Boardw1017.jpg]

[Image: yrRJmCk.jpg]

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-16-2014, 02:31 PM
RE: Epic Styling Guide for Slicked Back Hair - How To, Pictures and Products
How to Slick Back your Hair

Slicking back involves gently pulling your hair back starting at the forehead hairline and finishing at the crown (back of the head).

First, the hair is coated with a suitable good pomade; use your fingers to gently coat your hair with the pomade, making sure not to get the pomade on your scalp (the best coating and styling instructions are found in The Men's Hair Book, more on that later). Your hair should be damp when preparing to coat with pomade and slick. Avoid doing this on fully-dried hair.

Once your hair is coated in pomade, grab a comb to provide the first guiding back of the hair on the top of the head (this is your first "slick"), and then subsequent slicks can follow with either a comb or with the fingers. In your first slick, you do not slick the hair on the sides of the head, you only slick the hair on the top of the head.

Classic slicking

In the classic slick, the hair on the sides of the head is also slicked back in the first slick. You first slick with a comb the hair on the top of your head (starting at the forehead) and then proceed to do the same with the hair on the sides of the head, ensuring that the direction of the slicking on the sides of the head remains in a straight parallel line.

Once you have given yourself the first slick, you will then do a couple more slicks with the comb. Frequently, a male will find himself doing 3 to 6 slicks to get the final shape he prefers, so don't worry if you are constantly retouching the hair that is slicked.

Overall, in the classic form of slicking, the hair lays flat or with very little volume and follows a homogeneous direction, starting from the hairline of the face (forehead for the top of the head and temples for the sides of the head) and ending at the crown aka vertex (i.e. the back of the top of your head). The classic slicked back was one of the favorite hairstyles of upper class males in the US and Europe from the 1920s till the 1950s. The classic side swept hairstyle was also a favorite of the time.

For the classic slicking, a strong hold pomade is recommended, either an oil based pomade or a water based pomade with a sufficiently strong hold.

These are some pictures of the classic slick:

[Image: OCLJEwQ.jpg]

[Image: h3T8nJ2.jpg]

[Image: 3zLxIB8.jpg]

[Image: RwWzu5A.jpg]

Modern slicking

With the modern slick, volume, movement of the hair and creativity is what is being sought after.

For the modern slick, once you have performed the first slick, you are then free to choose whether to slick back the hair on the sides of the head or not. I recommend you to still proceed to slick the sides back once, as you can always easily undo the slick anyway.

The cool (different) part of the modern slick is that you are pretty much allowed to shape the slick back as you wish, so long as the hair on the top of the head still remains directed in a backwards direction (this is very important, do not change the direction of the hair on the top!). Thus you can give yourself a couple more slicks with either a comb or just your fingers. Essentially the more you use your fingers, the more volume of hair and freedom of movement of the hair that you will create.

A really nice modern slicked back style is done by providing a first slick for the sides with a comb (as if you were going to do a classic slick instead), and then proceeding to do 3 to 5 further slicks with only your fingers. Starting at the forehead's hairline, run your fingers through your mane backwards and towards the crown, with the fingers forming a rake. As you run your fingers through, you can also lift the hair up a little to create more volume. Do the same with the hair on the sides, or alternatively comb the hair down or leave it flat. A good option is to get an Undercut so that the hair on the sides and back is clipped short, thus effectively creating a slicked back Undercut (which, for example, was the haircut of Jake Gyllenhaal in Prisoners).

Because volume and freedom of movement are essential trait of modern slicking, a good pomade that has a good hold but that also moisturizes and creates a wet effect is a great product to use for this particular form of the slick back (see the product recommendations below).

Pro tip: use a hair dryer as you do the modern slick. The hair dryer will help you to achieve more volume and enhance the shape of the slick back. Simply point the hair dryer to where your fingers are as you run the fingers through the hair. Make sure to use a good hair dryer too (more on hair dryers below).

These are some picks of the modern slick for men, David Beckham has been an icon when it comes to modern slicked back hair:

[Image: Ite1xGA.jpg]

[Image: ZgFCCfn.jpg]

[Image: STSo79E.jpg]

[Image: Boardw1017.jpg]

[Image: article-2425594-1BEA56F8000005DC-991_634x595.jpg]

Hair products for slicked back hair

The good thing about slicking your hair is that you don't need any special products or tools that you would otherwise not need for other styles. You will only need a good pomade (optimized for either classic or modern slicking), a good men's comb and a hair dryer (the hair dryer is optional). You can also use hair gel instead of pomade, but hair gel will give you a harder and dryer look which doesn't look as good as the style achieved with a pomade.

Recommended products
  • Get this pomade for classic slicking: this pomade in the link has a strong hold resembling that of oil based pomades, yet, instead, this pomade is much easier to wash off than oil pomades. This same pomade will also work for side swept styles, so it's a great pomade product to own for the long term.
  • Get this pomade for modern slicking: this pomade in the link gives a wet look without greasiness or looking soaked. The hold is good but still gives movement freedom to the hair, allowing for the slick back to be more casual and.or messy, as you prefer. You style your modern slick as you want, and the pomade will respond to your styling actions.
    |
  • Get this hair gel: if you'd like to try the slick back with hair gel because you prefer a dryer look or because you prefer gel in general terms, then go with the hair gel in the link as it will work for both the classic and modern slick.
  • Get this men's comb: we always say this in this forum, if you want to sport a great mane, you have to be serious with your hair products, and that includes your comb. A sturdy hand-made men's comb like the one linked is all you need for precision styling and slicking, plus the comb will be useful for so many other hairstyles you try in the future.
    |
  • Get this hair dryer: if you want to make the most of your hair and your hairstyling efforts, then you just have to own a good hair dryer. A good hair dryer, like other hairstyling tools, is an investment that will give you great benefits in the long term. The cost of a good hair dryer usually starts at $100, but at that price range you will be getting an excellent hair dryer that will dry your hair better and faster, and that will enhance your chosen hairstyle while minimizing any potential damage from the hot air (cheap hair dryers will fry your hair instead if used frequently, and fried hair is awful to style, so, really, you must get a good hair dryer if you want to rock an epic mane. The hair dryer in the link (here it is again) is an excellent choice and is as complete as a hair dryer can get.
    |
  • Get The Men's Hair Book: this book is the encyclopaedia of men's hair and it covers absolutely everything related to your hair. You will learn how to profile your hair (and even create its own ID!), how to completely groom your hair in a couple of minutes, how to properly style your hair (you will learn so much just with that topic alone), how to configure your diet and nutrition for better hair, how to approach hair loss if you're suffering from it and so much more. There's even a big chapter just on busting myths and you will have a couple of LOL moments when you get to learn the real information and get to see how much misinformed men are when it comes to their hair!

Questions, Feedback, Advice etc

This is a guide on slicked back hair, but this same guide is also a discussion thread where you can ask questions on the topic of slicking hair back or where you can provide your own form of input via tips you have or pictures of this style that you want to share (whether your pictures or pictures of celebrities).

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
02-16-2014, 06:47 PM
Best guide ever !!
02-17-2014, 12:52 PM
Impressive styling guide there TMHF! the most descriptive ever tutorial for slicked back hair!
I see you want to raise to my challenge of who posts the most epic hairstyling guides in the forum eh Tongue
02-19-2014, 11:57 AM
This is such a cool guide & i agree that the essence of slicking is being lost especially with all these modern versions that take away from the class and flatness of the style. This is a classic version seen from behind.

[Image: oaO0n9X.jpg]
02-27-2014, 05:03 PM
Some more male celebrity examples of this classic hairstyle:

Justin Timberlake

As we know, Justin Timberlake has been going for the side swept style, but he also has tried his share of styling repertoire with the slick back.

[Image: 424px-Justin_Timberlake_Cannes_2013.jpg]

[Image: FxHKVPR.jpg]

Scott Caan

Scott Caan plays detective Danny "Danno" Williams in the TV series Hawaii Five-0. Scott Caan has also been part of the Entourage cast.

[Image: f4bcbb41ee2ad8dfd578b0475c830b02.jpg]

[Image: 8b08c42a61fe0e94cf7e4fe3f5cda4ac.jpg]

[Image: ae104b04b9c6ea23bbbccf30b60d1e9f.jpg]

Guy below is an Indian actor but I don't know his name. Good slick back, considering it's a classic one with the sides remaining at the same length as the top, so not a common look although the shine look a bit too overdone LOL

[Image: ZwYInDJ.jpg]

02-27-2014, 07:08 PM
Modern slicking of Jude Law

Jude Law's hair has that casual-slick look, giving his locks ample freedom on the scalp.

[Image: ebc5025f8185b44f8368f744f129ddc3.jpg]

Classic slicking of Shia LaBeouf

A good example of slicked back curly hair. In this case, Shia LaBeouf's curly hair is long, so the hair is primarily combed back in a slick, while the hair at the hairline of the neck retains the curly shape as so does the tips of the long hair that has been combed back from the forehead's hairline.

[Image: 424px-Shia_LaBeouf_Cannes_2012.jpg]

Classic slicked back hair of Andy Garcia

Andy Garcia will be known by most dudes for his role in the film Ocean's Eleven. Not only in Ocean's Eleven but for just about all his filming career, Andy Garcia has been slicking his hair back like a boss. It is rumored that Garcia uses some form of toupee and, truth be told, his hair does sometimes look as bad as that of Nicolas Cage Big Grin

[Image: 449px-Andy_Garcia_at_the_2009_Deauville_...al-01A.jpg]

[Image: andy-garcia.jpg]

[Image: andy-garcia-thumb-28093.jpg]

[Image: 001OEL_Andy_Garcia_028.jpg]

[Image: andy-garcia.jpg]

03-01-2014, 05:48 PM
For the Harry Potter die hard fans this is Draco Malfoy aka Tom Felton. Not that i am a Harry Potter fan but did remember that this kid has his hair in a slick during much of one of the movies...

[Image: article-1037156-0052284B00000258-962_233x313.jpg]

[Image: Bad_boy.jpg]

[Image: cosmalfoy05.jpg]

[Image: 6aU9yyd.jpg]
03-25-2014, 11:28 AM
Hey, guys.

I've been having some trouble achieving this look.

My hair is kinda dry, thick and wavy. Using a straightening shampoo is not really an option because I have a small hair loss problem which I avoid by using a strenghtening shampoo, a brazilian product called "Gota Dourada" (meaning "Golden Drop"). It's very effective stopping hair loss, but it makes the hair thicker and stronger, ergo, hardier to comb and keep straight.

I'm going for a classic slick, like Scott Caan, Justin Timberlake or Andy Garcia.

Hair gel worked okay for stylizing, but I don't like that greasy and heavy look, besides I want something nice to touch for when a girl runs her hands through my hair. With hair wax I get a much cleaner, nicer look but it does not hold for long, becoming wavy with time.

So, is there something I can do to style my hair straight before holding it in place with wax? On some other forum I read using hair mousse to style it and then using wax to hold it does the trick. Is that the best option for me?

Also, exactly what is "pomade" and how does it differ from wax? Can you point out some brands I can find in Western Europe (Portugal, Spain, Italy and France)?

The hair wax I use is Axe Swept Over Look, BTW.

Thank you for reading.
03-25-2014, 02:29 PM
Il_Cavalieri, let's go by parts. I have written a lengthy post to help you out with getting the right slick back style for you as well as for other readers who may have similar specific questions to yours.

First of all, there are no hair straightening shampoos. Anything being sold as such is nothing but snake oil. To straighten hair (for example, straighten wavy hair or coiled hair), you need to alter the structure of the hair which is achieved with heat (i.e. hair straightener) or with a chemical reaction (i.e. hair relaxer). The only way you could have solid hair straightening results by using a so-called "hair straightening" shampoo would be if the shampoo contained the ingredients of a relaxer. However, relaxers will in fact burn the scalp if misused, so, as you can understand, no shampoo that will actually straighten your hair exists since its mere existence would be a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Having said the above, some shampoos do unethically and blatantly label themselves as hair straightening, when all they do, if at all, is moisturize the curly hair and weight it down so that the hair is a little bit easier to style and have the hair a bit looser in terms of curl tightness when combined with other products from the same brand. Unfortunately, we have to deal in the hair care industry with this kind of unethical advertising (and lying), and fighting issues like misleading advertising as well as providing real and trustworthy information has been the number one goal of this forum (and it is why you are in the right place here Smile).

Now that I have said the above, you have two options for the slicked back hairstyle: either do it with your own wavy hair or indeed straighten your hair with a hair straightener. I will cover both options below.

Use pomade with your (non-straightened) wavy hair

There is nothing wrong with wavy hair and it can be slicked back, but you need at least 4 inches of length to slick back wavy hair. One of our forum members followed our advice for a 2 Step Undercut with slicked back hair (i.e. the style and haircut of Jake Gyllenhaal in Prisoners, click the link for the full guide) and his results were great as we expected since the barber professionals in this forum are very well acquainted with these mens hairstyles. Our forum member had wavy hair too, so I am posting below two pictures of his slicked back wavy hair for you to see that such a hair style is definitively possible for your hair type:

[Image: f8JX1k1.jpg]

[Image: 2j465uv.jpg]

In the case of proceeding with your wavy hair, then I highly recommend a water soluble pomade since have mentioned that you want to avoid any greasy-looking hair (and you are very right to want to avoid such a look, especially if thinning).

A water soluble pomade can be thought of, in very simple terms, as a light version of a hair wax that is best suited (water soluble pomade) for flat hairstyles like slick backs and side swepts. Regular pomades on the other hand (the old-school pomades), had a strong hold on par with waxes but the regular pomades left the hair too greasy and were hard to remove since these pomades are made with petrolatum and oils, so imagine having your hair fully coated in solid olive oil LOL that's how bad regular pomades can get if they are not used with caution.

Because of the greasiness issue, water based pomades were then made to circumvent the greasy look of the regular pomades and have these more modernly formulated pomades be easier to wash off. It is the water soluble pomades that I recommend for you and for your particular case of slicking your naturally-wavy hair (without straightening).

Now, before I mention the water soluble pomade that is perfect for your case, I will mention that the best place to buy hair products for men is Amazon (without a doubt). Amazon carries the widest range of hair products for men and has the lowest prices found both online and in retail stores. Their shipping is reliable and super fast, and you can always buy from the comfort of your chair. In your case and being in Italy, I recommend you to buy either from Amazon USA or Amazon UK.

With Amazon USA, your order will take a couple days more to reach you since you are in Italy (for guys in USA, the delivery is unbelievably fast!). However, the good thing about Amazon USA is that it has an astonishingly-wide range of hair products and the prices are the lowest of the lowest. What this means is that, even when taking into account the cost of shipping to Italy from Amazon USA, most mens hair products are still cheaper than buying them at Amazon UK (and also much cheaper than buying them in Italy!).

With Amazon UK, you will get your order delivered to your place in Italy very fast. The trade off is that Amazon UK doesn't have the huge range of products of Amazon US and the prices, while cheap, are not as cheap as those of Amazon USA. However, compared to the range and prices of men's hair products found in Amazon Italy and other online stores, Amazon UK is the best place to buy hair products in Europe.

Ok, so back to the pomade. The water-soluble pomade I recommend from Amazon UK is this one from Suavecito as this pomade is perfect for your requirements. On the other hand, if you want to buy that same Suavecito pomade from Amazon USA, then simply go to my second post of this thread (Post #2 at the beginning of this guide) and, under the hair product recommendations for the slick back, click on the recommended pomade for the modern slick. When you click the link, you will be taken to the Amazon USA page of the Suavecito pomade that is perfect for your requirements, and that page is of an Amazon distributor that has an excellent vendor reputation and who will deliver the pomade to Italy fast and at great prices.

Using pomade and also straightening your wavy hair

Now, if you would rather have your hair fully straight for a more tailored look that you wish to have, then I recommend you to own a hair straightener (aka flat iron) to do the straightening job. Hair straighteners are very easy to use and, if you get a good one, the straightening results will be impressive. The good thing about owning a good hair straightener is that you will be able to use it for many other hairstyles you have in mind, so, if you want to have a wide range of hairstyles to be able to choose from on a daily basis, then a hair straightener makes a lot of sense.

From Amazon UK, the hair straightener that I recommend for you and that will be perfect for your case is this hair straightener from BabyLiss (BabyLiss is a brand of high-quality straighteners). It's an affordable hair straightener that is partially made of titanium, so it will do a better job of straightening your hair and will last longer. All you will need to be able to use the hair straightener from Amazon UK is this UK to European travel adapter that allows for the use of 3-pin plugs (those from UK products) in other European countries that use 2-pin plugs (those found in Italy, Spain, France etc).

If on the other hand, you prefer to buy your hair straightener from the United States, then buy a very-similar straightener that we highly recommend from this Amazon US distributor (click link to see the hair straightener from the US distributor). The only inconvenient when using hairstyling tools from the United States in Europe is that you will have to use a converter since the United States uses a higher residential voltage than that found in the countries of Europe. If you are OK with using a converter, then the hair straightener from Amazon USA in the link is an excellent product and one we highly recommend.

Lastly, and just so that you can enhance your knowledge of your hair and its styling, I highly recommend The Men's Hair Book for you. This book will completely change the way you look at your hair and the book will teach you the correct way of looking after your hair and of styling your hair. With The Men's Hair Book, you will also be learning everything that you need to know so as to have your hair look exactly the way you want it to without inconveniences.

The Men's Hair Book is the only reading we highly recommend to complement the reading of our forums as the book will greatly speed up your knowledge of your hair. You can get The Men's Hair Book in its Amazon book page and you can also read our staff review and the feedback of other forum members in this staff review thread by moderator Jurgen Wink

Let me know if that has solved your issue with regards to you wanting to have a slicked back hair style and the products to use since you are in Italy Smile

03-28-2014, 11:17 AM
Thank you for your very informative post. It sure saved me a lot of trouble and a few €. Especially knowing that straightening shampoo is a scam. Thank you.

I will order one of those pomades. In fact, I usually import stuff from both amazon stores, only usually I just import books, electronics, video games and other products like that. It just never occurred to me to buy hair products other than on the supermarket shelf.

Anyway, usually me and some friends pool our orders together to save on shipping costs. We do this about once or twice a month. Next time we do I'll make sure to include some pomade. One question, though: You said Suavecito is perfect for my hair, but on your initial post I believe you indicated Layrite for the classic look, wich is the look I prefer. Which pomade should I buy?

Also, thanks for the tips on the "flat irons". My girlfriend has one called "Bellissima Creativity", manufactured by Imetec. It is a 2 in 1 of flat iron and curling iron. I'll give it a shot.
03-28-2014, 12:08 PM
I was just posting in another thread that any styles that were longer than very short hair would look horrible on me because of the thinning of my hair which is specially bad on the top back of the head aka vertex. However the only exception and style that I could really do with a bit of longer hair was the slick back and thankfully too! with this hairstyle I could comb the hair back and hide the thinning of the vertex by combing back the hair from the middle of the top of the head. A 'water' pomade like the Suavecito pomade worked really well for me because it did not weigh down my hair like hair wax or gel does.

Lots of older businessmen and corporate dudes slick their hair back even when they are seriously losing their hair like a norwood 4 and slicked back hair is acceptable and seen as a professional hairstyle.

(03-28-2014 11:17 AM)Il_Cavalieri Wrote:  I will order one of those pomades. In fact, I usually import stuff from both amazone stores, only usually I just import books, electronics, videogames and other products like that. It just never ocurred to me to buy hair products other than on the supermarket shelf.

I know a lot of guys in the UNited Kingdom who buy their hair products from Amazon.com (so from the USA). Hair products at Amazon.com are so much cheaper than anywhere else online and including the UK amazon site. For example Rogaine which can be quite expensive at hair care shops or at european Amazon site is instead priced very cheap at Amazon.com and these days you get a lot of dollars for both euros and pounds so buying at Amazon.com makes even more sense.

I have browsed other amazon country websites and the prices are way too expensive compared to the US Amazon.com site. The only advantage I could think of from buying at say Amazon Italy would be that you would get your products delivered faster, but even then Amazon.com ships and delivers its products really fast to international customers.

Everyone I know who buys from amazon.com as an international customer is really happy with it cause you can save some serious money shopping there instead of your local amazon site or other online shops.
Just my $0.02 bro, Amazon.com is the real deal for any US or international customers.
03-28-2014, 03:27 PM
I really really like this hair style! I also saw the other tutorial in the forum for this slick back hairstyle with undercut and it look really dapper Big Grin
Ah yes I prefer the water based pomades too because the oil pomades are hard to shampoo lol it is like your hair is with a crust xD but I used a lot when I buy it for the classic slick because I want my hair to be 100% flat when I comb it back and because I have a lot of hair I have to use a lot of pomade to have the hair flat! I have a lot of hair even my hairdresser says that to me all the time xD

By the way another guy with slicked back hair... Diego Simeone. He is the football coach of Atletico de Madrid. Simeone is balding Sad but he has a classic slicked hairstyle. He is also making Atletico de Madrid reach football glory so he does not worry about his balding... probably xD
Pictures below of Diego Simeone slicked back hair.

[Image: Diego-Simeone_3050152.jpg]

[Image: int_130820_Diego_Simeone.jpg]

[Image: 1082911-17244344-640-360.jpg]

[Image: 63037.jpg]

Ok for our Italian friend in this thread: I am in Spain and I buy my hair products in this forum from amazon.COM and not amazon.ES. The ES is for Amazon Spain but the products are very expensive and the sending of the products from Spain is so-so.

My experience buying hair products from USA from amazon.COM thanks to the guys in this forum is great and I now buy all products from amazon.COM and not only hair products. For hair products the sending and delivery to Spain from amazon.COM is not expensive and the prices of the hair products are so cheap. Also Vladimir is right about the euro.

For 1 euro you get 1.38 dollars today! In amazon.COM the prices are cheaper and you can buy a lot more with euros in amazon.COM in comparison to amazon.ES or amazon.IT!

For British people is the same in that you can buy a lot more with your pounds in amazon.COM in comparison to amazon.CO.UK!
European brothers take advantage of this currency exchange Smile
03-29-2014, 11:06 AM
(03-28-2014 11:17 AM)Il_Cavalieri Wrote:  Thank you for your very informative post. It sure saved me a lot of trouble and a few €. Especially knowing that straightening shampoo is a scam. Thank you.

I will order one of those pomades. In fact, I usually import stuff from both amazon stores, only usually I just import books, electronics, video games and other products like that. It just never occurred to me to buy hair products other than on the supermarket shelf.

Anyway, usually me and some friends pool our orders together to save on shipping costs. We do this about once or twice a month. Next time we do I'll make sure to include some pomade. One question, though: You said Suavecito is perfect for my hair, but on your initial post I believe you indicated Layrite for the classic look, which is the look I prefer. Wich pomade should I buy?

Also, thanks for the tips on the "flat irons". My girlfriend has one called "Bellissima Creativity", manufactured by Imetec. It is a 2 in 1 of flat iron and curling iron. I'll give it a shot.

I mentioned the Suavecito pomade if you decide not to straighten your hair in the end. If you prefer to keep your hair with its natural wavy shape, then the Suavecito pomade I recommended above will work very well.

On the other hand, if you're going to straighten your hair with the hair straightener, then go for the pomade I recommended for the classic slick (Layrite).

The recommendation of the 2 pomades was depending on what you decided to do for your hair.

If you are going to straighten your hair, then go with the other pomade I suggested (Layrite). Achieving a classic slick with straight hair is much easier than with wavy hair, so the perfect pomade for you will depend on whether you choose to straighten your hair or not.

But since you really like the classic slicked back look, then, sure, you can still go with the recommended pomade for the classic slick (this one from Layrite in the link). Perhaps I was being too detailed with regards to choosing the pomade and I can understand this causing confusion. So yeah, go with the Layrite pomade in the link above, it's an excellent product for slicking the hair back in a classic old-school manner Smile

04-05-2014, 07:32 AM
Thank you. Sorry for the delay, havn't had much free time lately.

One last thing:

Do I have to use the hair straightener on a daily basis?

Right now my hair is a bit short, but somewhere in the next 1 to 2 months I will give it a go.
04-05-2014, 12:47 PM
(04-05-2014 07:32 AM)Il_Cavalieri Wrote:  Thank you. Sorry for the delay, havn't had much free time lately.

One last thing:

Do I have to use the hair straightener on a daily basis?

Right now my hair is a bit short, but somewhere in the next 1 to 2 months I will give it a go.

Not a problem.

Yes, a hair straightener should be used on a daily basis for best effect. Whenever you wet your hair (i.e. shower), you will lose the straightened effect you achieved with the hair straightener unless you use some kind of keratin treatment.

If you are interested in a more permanent straightening effect with a single hair straightening session, then get this Brazilian keratin treatment which is very easy to use and will allow you to have your hair permanently straightened for about 6 months (it's also easy to use, simply follow the instructions). You will need a hair straightener to use the Brazilian Keratin treatment, so just pick one of the recommended in this guide/thread.

I would recommend you to start straightening your hair once it is 2 inches long. The hair straighteners that we have recommended in this thread are of special use for short mens hair, so simply wait until your hair reaches 2 inches to begin to use the straightener. You can still buy it now or soon, since hair grows about half an inch per month which means that you will be soon hitting the 2-inch length mark anyway (of course, also depending on your current hair length).

05-06-2014, 10:43 AM
Joseph Stalin slicked back hairstyle

Even Joseph Stalin had a thing for slicking his hair back. I was going through pictures of Stalin for another thread posted in the forum when I noticed that in all his pictures, Joseph Stalin keeps his hair slicked back. So, pictures below!

[Image: 1376019-stalin4.jpg]

[Image: AqV9Nw1.jpg]

[Image: MTE5NTU2MzE2Mzc0NDY4MTA3.jpg]

[Image: joseph-stalin-AB.jpeg]

05-09-2014, 04:09 PM
Ed Sullivan hair

Ed Sullivan was known for slicking back his hair in the classic version of the slicked back hairstyle. Ed Sullivan would use an oil based pomade to get the back slicking tight enough for his curls to remain back and flat, which between the 1930s to 1960s was a very common style for men to wear.

Ed Sullivan was a very popular American television host and entertainer, and he popularized the back slicking of hair for men, for both old and young men. Considering that television sets as well as TV programs had yet to take off massively as they did in later decades, Ed Sullivan remained a very popular and known figure in the United States and his opinion as well as his image and appearance was certainly capable of influencing American men.

[Image: 434px-Ed_Sullivan.jpg]

[Image: MTE5NTU2MzE2MzgxNzQyNjAz.jpg]

[Image: 1101551017_400.jpg]

[Image: article-2514041-19A945B600000578-641_634x453.jpg]

[Image: article-2487306-1930CFF200000578-260_638x350.jpg]

[Image: 461px-Ed_Sullivan_Cole_Porter_Toast_of_t...n_1952.JPG]

[Image: 430px-Ed_Sullivan_-_Itzhak_Perlman_1958.jpg]

Richard Nixon hair

The classic slick back was also a fundamental style for Richard Nixon's hair. The former President of the United States would follow the same styling and slicking method as that of Ed Sullivan above since both men had curly hair and styling curly hair with a slick back was a very common look during those days. In the case of Richard Nixon, however, his need to project a serious, professional and tough image was much needed as his presidency spanned part of the Cold War years.

[Image: 507px-Richard_M._Nixon%2C_ca._1935_-_198...530679.jpg]

[Image: MTE5NTU2MzE2MzMxMjc5ODgz.jpg]

[Image: NIXONSandREAGANS.jpg]

[Image: nixon-s-watergate-testimony-20003326jpg.jpg]

[Image: 481px-Nixon_campaigns_in_Sausalito_1950.jpg]

05-16-2014, 11:09 AM
Brad Pitt new slicked hairstyle

Brad Pitt's new hairstyle is a classic slicked back which he sported the other day at a premiere. I am posting the pictures of Brad Pitt's new hairstyle below for some slick back inspiration although do notice how the forelock has quite some mass for a classic slick back, almost looking like a Pompadour in itself!

[Image: angelina-jolie-brad-pitt-normal-heart-premiere-04.jpg]

[Image: angelina-jolie-brad-pitt-normal-heart-premiere-11.jpg]

[Image: angelina-jolie-brad-pitt-normal-heart-premiere-12.jpg]

[Image: angelina-jolie-brad-pitt-normal-heart-premiere-09.jpg]

[Image: angelina-jolie-brad-pitt-normal-heart-premiere-08.jpg]

[Image: angelina-jolie-brad-pitt-normal-heart-premiere-05.jpg]

06-08-2014, 01:30 AM
Thank you so much for this post! I will definitely be coming back to finish reading!
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Undercut Hairstyle: How to, Haircut, Pictures, Products - OFFICIAL thread Barber 200 626,761 10-07-2016 08:51 PM
Last Post: shenefbs
  Mohawk hairstyle and haircut guide - How to and Pictures TheMensHairForum 16 24,253 07-31-2016 11:40 PM
Last Post: Kiddfresh
  2 Step Undercut Hairstyle: Official Haircut Guide with Pictures and How-To Advice Jurgen 6 112,438 07-21-2016 08:44 PM
Last Post: Dwight
  Middle Part Curtains Hairstyle Guide: How To Style, Pictures, Products and more TheMensHairForum 13 69,460 06-15-2016 03:04 PM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum