Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electric shaver vs. wet shaving razor? Pros and Cons discussion
10-15-2014, 08:45 AM
Question Electric shaver vs. wet shaving razor? Pros and Cons discussion
If we were to compare them, what would be the benefits and disadvantages of electric shavers vs. traditional wet shaving razors? There is always an element of shaving preference but I would like to ask this is an objective manner.

I guess the main disadvantage of electric shavers is the upfront cost & some of the maintenance cost for some of them. You can pick up a bag of disposable razors for ten bucks while a good electric razor will cost you some seventy bucks and above. If you look long term then yes, electric shavers look to be more economical but not everyone is willing to put up that amount for a shaver when it could be spent somewhere else or in a shaving kit.

About the shave, my opinion is that you really need to get a high priced electric shaver to get close enough shaving results. A good safety razor with a single blade can get you a close shave but then you run the risk of skin irritation. This is even worse when you use razors with more than one blade.

My experience with electric beard trimmers has been really good thanks to the forum, so I am pro electric clipper. However it is very difficult to beat a platinum blade razor with a rich shaving cream.

What do you all think?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-15-2014, 10:25 AM
RE: Electric shaver vs. wet shaving razor? Pros and Cons discussion
Shaving is a part of every day life for most of us guys. Having a good razor is essential to keeping yourself groomed and looking good. Clean-shaven skin is much more attractive and appealing than a scruffy beard. Bu then the question comes as you rightly put it, which razors are better for achieving that perfect shave? Electric razors or traditional ones? There are pros and cons to each.

Traditional razors include disposable ones and ones that only require replace razor blades. They require shaving cream to ensure a smooth and easy shave. However, if you're not careful, it's easy to cut yourself with one of these sharp blades. One major drawback is that if the razor slips in your hand and leaves a nasty cut, it can take weeks for it to heal, so even though you have smooth, hairless skin, you have a very unattractive and maybe even painful nick. However, on the positive side, if you're careful traditional razors with the aide of shaving cream offer a fantastic shave, and you may find that you won't need to shave again for a couple of days. Of course, with traditional razors you must purchase new razor blades every few weeks in addition to new bottles of shaving cream.

Perhaps a more tangible risk with safety razors is skin irritation. Those of us men with sensitive skin will need to go easy on safety razors, and especially the multiple blade ones. Skin irritation is the main reason why I will prefer an electric shaver to a manual razor. In the past I have talked about skin irritation and shaving and how a lot of men are prone to skin irritation from shaving and need a special approach to their daily shaving.

Let's assume that you purchase a refill cartridge of razor blades at four dollars every month in addition to a two-dollar bottle of shaving cream every month as well. That's $72 you're spending a year on shaving accessories not to mention the original cost of your razor, and that's a very low amount and more likely to be double depending on the type of razor you buy. Of course, this is just a hypothetical situation, but you get the idea.

Electric razors, on the other hand, require more of an upfront cost as you rightly mentioned. However, once purchased, that's all the cost there is to an electric razor. You will easily go for over a year with no need to fix anything, and this includes foil shavers.

Electric shavers will quickly pay themselves off by not requiring any accessories to be purchased for their upkeep every month. However, one word of caution is that electric razors take some time to get used to. You have to learn how to shave with them properly and get your skin accustomed to them to achieve maximum results. Some people still purchase shaving cream and use it along with their electric razor, in which case you will incur a monthly cost. However, it is still cheaper in the long run than a traditional razor.

Yet, another downside to electric razors is that they require charging, so if you ever forget to charge it then you won't be able to shave. However, a great positive is that it is almost impossible to cut yourself with an electric razor if you use it correctly. You would almost have to purposefully try to nick yourself with an electric razor to be successful.

With an electric shaver you do need to get in the triple digits for a high quality electric razor that will give you a super close shave similar to a high quality safety razor. So yeah the cost to be paid upfront is there, but you won't have any other costs for at least a year, not to mention no need for shaving cream which you can easily need one every 6 weeks if you're a daily shaver.

Those are the pros and cons of electric razors and traditional ones. Electric razors, believe it or not, are much cheaper in the long run even though they aren't in the short run. However, there are negatives and positives to both.
12-17-2014, 01:48 PM
Sometime ago I heard something about the spurious EM radiation emitted by an electric razor, and that this could have some negative effects in the body, does anybody knows about this? or is it just a myth? probably nobody knows the levels of electromagnetic waves emitted by these machines, but I just wonder if this are considerable, taking in mind that we live surrounded by all type of radiation...
12-17-2014, 02:04 PM
Radiation from electric shavers.
(12-17-2014 01:48 PM)lricardo Wrote:  Sometime ago I heard something about the spurious EM radiation emitted by an electric razor, and that this could have some negative effects in the body, does anybody knows about this? or is it just a myth? probably nobody knows the levels of electromagnetic waves emitted by these machines, but I just wonder if this are considerable, taking in mind that we live surrounded by all type of radiation...

The exposure to any type of radiation is minimal with an electric razor. It takes only some minutes to be done with your shaving with an electric shaver. Likewise, facial skin is relatively thick and away from the brain compared to the skin on the ear.

I mention the skin of the ear because, if you're worried about absorbing radiation, it's stuff like cell phones that you need to be careful with. If you're spending over an hour per day on your cell phone (and especially if it's in one whole session), then you may have some reason to worry about radiation, and even then, the evidence is very vague anyway. There should be no worrying with an electric shaver.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
12-20-2014, 10:15 PM
(12-17-2014 02:04 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  
(12-17-2014 01:48 PM)lricardo Wrote:  Sometime ago I heard something about the spurious EM radiation emitted by an electric razor, and that this could have some negative effects in the body, does anybody knows about this? or is it just a myth? probably nobody knows the levels of electromagnetic waves emitted by these machines, but I just wonder if this are considerable, taking in mind that we live surrounded by all type of radiation...

The exposure to any type of radiation is minimal with an electric razor. It takes only some minutes to be done with your shaving with an electric shaver. Likewise, facial skin is relatively thick and away from the brain compared to the skin on the ear.

I mention the skin of the ear because, if you're worried about absorbing radiation, it's stuff like cell phones that you need to be careful with. If you're spending over an hour per day on your cell phone (and especially if it's in one whole session), then you may have some reason to worry about radiation, and even then, the evidence is very vague anyway. There should be no worrying with an electric shaver.

Can someone direct me to a thread that has some recommendations of shaving creams, balms, traditional and electric razors?
12-21-2014, 07:51 AM
Shaving creams and electric shavers recommendations.
(12-20-2014 10:15 PM)PhoKingTasty Wrote:  Can someone direct me to a thread that has some recommendations of shaving creams, balms, traditional and electric razors?

You can read about some good shaving creams in THIS shaving cream thread.

You can read about lots of different electric shavers in our Shaver reviews section (which is the same section where this thread is posted). Just browse around, there are lots of them at different prices.

If your budget is in the low to mid '00s (a high price for an electric shaver/razor) and if you want maximum comfort and closeness of shave, then go with a Philips Norelco shaver. I'd recommend THIS Philips Norelco for epicness. It has all the cool gadgets you'd expect from an expensive ultra-high-quality electric razor. In the link, you can even read all the reviews it has (over 1000 reviews!) and a very high rating by customers themselves!

If you're looking for a top of the line electric shaver, then go with THIS electric shaver (it's one of the Braun Series 7 shavers). Now that we're on Christmas they usually have discounts with the vendor on the link.

If the Braun shaver or Philips electric razor above are too expensive, then you can still get a good electric shaver; in this case I'd recommend THIS Wahl shaver which is quite affordable and still a good product, especially since Wahl has a great track record with hair clippers so they use the same technology on their electric shavers.

You're still on time to purchase for Christmas as all vendors provide through Amazon fast shipping.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
12-21-2014, 10:35 PM
God Bless you man!

I just wanted to get your thoughts on wet vs electric shaving for those who have sensitive skin. I understand that wet shaving gives you that nice clean shave, and its something I'm very interested in trying. However, I have sensitive, acne prone, skin. There's always these red bumps/pimples around my skin and I'm not sure if wet shaving would cause further irritation to my face.

Are there certain razors and creams for wet shaving that would be best suited for someone with sensitive skin, or would you avoid the trouble and suggest sticking with electric razors instead?
12-18-2015, 07:37 AM
(12-21-2014 10:35 PM)PhoKingTasty Wrote:  I'm not sure if wet shaving would cause further irritation to my face.

It will. I have the same problem. Just take my time to shave more accurate and avoid irritation.
01-02-2016, 07:32 AM (This post was last modified: 01-02-2016 07:36 AM by Daver.)
Electric...Electric...Electric...Electric...Electric...Electric...
01-02-2016, 07:34 AM
Obviously I will go for electric razor, because I have some bitter experience with manual razors...
02-22-2016, 10:58 AM
I seem to be the opposite of many here. I prefer good ol fashioned wet manual shaving razors. A lot of the electric ones just kind of pull my hair and make it uncomfortable.
07-19-2016, 08:27 AM
Shaving with wet razors is always better in my opinion and I have tried both.
10-07-2016, 11:45 AM
Wet shaving, for now. I use a DOVO shavette.

Although considering changing my ways... Tongue Still looking
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Remington R8150Csb Pivot And Flex Rotary Shaver Review A London Barber 0 110 10-26-2016 04:16 PM
Last Post: A London Barber
  Review of Wahl 9937 Lithium Ion Triple Play Shaver/Trimmer/Detailer A London Barber 0 120 10-26-2016 03:50 PM
  Review of Panasonic ES-LA93-K Arc4 Wet-Dry Head Pivoting Shaver A London Barber 0 80 10-26-2016 03:10 PM
  Philips Norelco 1150X/40 SensoTouch 2D Electric Shaver Review A London Barber 0 95 10-26-2016 02:08 PM