Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Education, University, jobs etc.
05-04-2014, 02:31 PM
Education, University, jobs etc.
So not relevant to hair but that's why I posted here , Im not sure on the majority of ages on here either (Though its likely quite a big mix) but im currently at the stage where im finishing school with A levels (Im 18) , A lot (Most) of my friends are going to university , Im not this year , Maybe next year but the way I think of it right now , I would much prefer to wait until im older to go to uni (Not 100% sure why but I think it would benefit me much more) , First off I would like to get a job , Get some experience in working ,earning money , paying for yourself instead of parents , Ive been in education since I was a kid so a break from education would do me great imo (I think I would appreciate it more , Learn more etc) and I would have a much better idea of what I want to do (And maybe in the time I wait , I could find a better opportunity and not need to go to uni) but the time I would want to go to uni is around the age of 21-22 but not sure it would be weird going so late , As most of my friends would be leaving at that point or have 1 year left (And everyone my age would be aswell , I would be just starting)

So ive been thinking a lot about what to do regarding education , Uni and work lately and thought I could post on here and get some opinions both on what is above , But also about your own experiences , Did you guys go to uni , Was it worth it , are you working a good job and has anyone been to a university at a later stage than their friends etc and is that normal/strange?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-06-2014, 10:07 AM
RE: Education , Univerisity , jobs etc.
The way you're seeing this is an acceptable way to look at it. The good thing in the UK, where you're from, is that university education is way cheaper than that of the US. In the USA, university education is very expensive, so dudes at 18 are under pressure to be choosing the right degree right from the start. In the UK, you can "afford" to change degrees, and this happens a lot, with people going from something like say Economics to Philosophy. It just happens.

In my opinion, and only take my opinion for what it is and from myself having post-graduate education, a male at 18 is not ready yet to make a decision on where he wants to direct his lifetime professional direction to. A university degree is an important part of building the what-is-to-be the career field for the rest of your life. Someone studying medicine knows that he/she wants to dedicate his life to the health field. The difference is that in the US, the cost of studying medicine can easily be 6x to 10x that of the cost of studying in the UK (we are talking of good universities here).

Some guys at 18 do know what they want to do for the rest of their lives, so going to university straightaway makes total sense. However, there will always be a % of men at that age who are unsure or just feel not ready for university yet. There's nothing wrong with this and you should not think less of yourself for perhaps not being as focused in a career mentality as the rest of your peers at 18.

My advice is that you consult a career advisor; the ones in British universities are pretty good, and each university has one or more career advisors. Likewise, communicate at all times with your parents, they are the people who love you the most in this world and who will always look out for your well being. Sure, sometimes parents can be a little hard-headed, but that's because they are always looking out for your interest. You could also do with seeing a good psychologist, only to help him/her see what your life ambitions, desires, needs and wants, and in that way they can help you be more aware of yourself. However, only see a psychologist after consulting your career advisor. Again, my opinion is only an educated one, and it does NOT substitute professional career help.

To summarize, you are not wrong or thinking wrong. You are looking at an alternative that many students in the UK and USA (and elsewhere in the world) consider every year. The one thing I will advice against is taking this as an easy way out from studying, and taking your "gap" year as a way to lazy around at the cost of your parents. You have mentioned that you want to work, and I commend you for that, but I've seen more than once guys who just fall into that trap.

Consider a job related to your field (e.g. work as a receptionist or supervisor in a health clinic if you'd like to study Medicine). University staff reviewing your application will look at what you've been doing in all those "off" years. They want to see either someone working in a field relevant to their what-is-to-be university degree, someone who has been working and earning money to support himself and his ambition (i.e. you've been working to get practical experience and income to then apply to your degree and support yourself) or someone who has been helping others altruistically (think, working in a NGO).

Don't waste these precious years, and it is absolutely fine to go to university at 21 or 22 if you really have been using your time right. The only inconvenience is that after working for 3-4 years, you may not want to go to university as you will have built yourself in the corporate world and may be earning a lot of money by then. I have seen this happen to other guys too. I'd advise instead 2 years maximum as your desire to go to university will still remain strong.

Do let us know how your career guiding comes along, Jonny. And also let us know on what you decide Smile

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
05-06-2014, 10:56 AM
RE: Education, University, jobs etc.
(05-06-2014 10:07 AM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  The way you're seeing this is an acceptable way to look at it. The good thing in the UK, where you're from, is that university education is way cheaper than that of the US. In the USA, university education is very expensive, so dudes at 18 are under pressure to be choosing the right degree right from the start. In the UK, you can "afford" to change degrees, and this happens a lot, with people going from something like say Economics to Philosophy. It just happens.

In my opinion, and only take my opinion for what it is and from myself having post-graduate education, a male at 18 is not ready yet to make a decision on where he wants to direct his lifetime professional direction to. A university degree is an important part of building the what-is-to-be the career field for the rest of your life. Someone studying medicine knows that he/she wants to dedicate his life to the health field. The difference is that in the US, the cost of studying medicine can easily be 6x to 10x that of the cost of studying in the UK (we are talking of good universities here).

Some guys at 18 do know what they want to do for the rest of their lives, so going to university straightaway makes total sense. However, there will always be a % of men at that age who are unsure or just feel not ready for university yet. There's nothing wrong with this and you should not think less of yourself for perhaps not being as focused in a career mentality as the rest of your peers at 18.

My advice is that you consult a career advisor; the ones in British universities are pretty good, and each university has one or more career advisors. Likewise, communicate at all times with your parents, they are the people who love you the most in this world and who will always look out for your well being. Sure, sometimes parents can be a little hard-headed, but that's because they are always looking out for your interest. You could also do with seeing a good psychologist, only to help him/her see what your life ambitions, desires, needs and wants, and in that way they can help you be more aware of yourself. However, only see a psychologist after consulting your career advisor. Again, my opinion is only an educated one, and it does NOT substitute professional career help.

To summarize, you are not wrong or thinking wrong. You are looking at an alternative that many students in the UK and USA (and elsewhere in the world) consider every year. The one thing I will advice against is taking this as an easy way out from studying, and taking your "gap" year as a way to lazy around at the cost of your parents. You have mentioned that you want to work, and I commend you for that, but I've seen more than once guys who just fall into that trap.

Consider a job related to your field (e.g. work as a receptionist or supervisor in a health clinic if you'd like to study Medicine). University staff reviewing your application will look at what you've been doing in all those "off" years. They want to see either someone working in a field relevant to their what-is-to-be university degree, someone who has been working and earning money to support himself and his ambition (i.e. you've been working to get practical experience and income to then apply to your degree and support yourself) or someone who has been helping others altruistically (think, working in a NGO).

Don't waste these precious years, and it is absolutely fine to go to university at 21 or 22 if you really have been using your time right. The only inconvenience is that after working for 3-4 years, you may not want to go to university as you will have built yourself in the corporate world and may be earning a lot of money by then. I have seen this happen to other guys too. I'd advise instead 2 years maximum as your desire to go to university will still remain strong.

Do let us know how your career guiding comes along, Jonny. And also let us know on what you decide Smile

Thanks for the reply , Good to hear opinions on it , I defiantly wont take it as a gap year(s) where I just sit around all day getting money off my parents. , I have around 2-3 months off after I finish education until the period of time you would start university , So In that time I plan on finding a job and then carrying that on for as long as I enjoy it / whoever long I stay out of education for , I just think that trying out a few jobs would be the best way to look at what is best for me , I have been interested in computers and Graphic design , Which has been what ive wanted to for a while and the subjects I currently take in school relate to that career choice , Though after such a long time focusing on this , Ive thought of that as the only career I can go into , But recently I have put that aside and looked at other opportunities , and this has made me realise that I would like to atleast try a more active job , Rather than one that requires you to sit infront of a computer all day and this is the main reason for me not wanting to go to uni and thinking more about my career choices ,One thing I may also consider is while im deciding on what to do for a uni course or as a career I could look at going to college for a 1/2 year course on something that may not be useful to my career but something I enjoy.

Thanks for the reply , Ill keep you updated on what I decide to do anyway.
06-29-2014, 05:43 AM
Ok so recently finished school , So im applying for jobs online now the problem is that I have not had a job before now and so filling out applications and answering some of the questions is difficult for me , There are questions such as

Experience of working in a team (max. 100 words)
Experience of providing excellent customer service (max. 100 words)
Experience of handling cash (max. 100 words)
Experience of working in a pressurised and/or busy environment (max. 100 words)
Experience of accurately undertaking basic office/paper work duties (max. 100 words)
Experience of successfully managing your time and prioritising work (max. 100 words)
Experience of managing or leading others (max. 100 words)

So some of them I don't think I can answer due to my lack of work , Some of the questions I could answer with situations that have occurred in school (Im not sure if that would be ok?) and I have also spent 1 week (30 hours) working in a garage , Where (Because I was a work experience member I couldent do much) but I mainly had to make sure the workplace was clean , Organize the stock/products from the workplace and the garage they were all kept in , Talk to some customers and clean there cars while they were getting fixed in the garage , After this the guy asked me if I wanted the job for my 6 weeks off so I took it and worked 8-3 two days a week there , Again doing the same things as well as then doing more with the cars but still basic things as I was only 16.Im not really sure if I can use this experience for the above questions , So I was just wondering if any of you could give some advice or help when filling out application forms.
01-14-2015, 10:42 PM
yeah the moderator is right.i live in US and have tons of loans already
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------