Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dry thick brittle wavy hair. Tips?
05-09-2015, 04:16 AM
Dry thick brittle wavy hair. Tips?

I am new here and wanted some tips for my hair. I'm not sure I can post pictures of it yet, but I will describe it.

It's very thick, big curls (almost wavy), each strand of hair grows in a different direction, it looks puffy and feels like a brush when I run my fingers through it. It has improved though; I am only shampooing and conditioning it twice a week so it doesn't loose moisture and hair is not falling out like it used to. I use my fingers to brush it too and that seems to tame it.

Anyway I am growing it out, or that's the plan. Trying to get a trendy Zac Efron Style (whatever that's called), shake Into place hairstyle.

Any tips?

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-09-2015, 01:29 PM (This post was last modified: 05-09-2015 01:36 PM by The Kid.)
RE: Dry thick brittle wavy hair. Tips?
I don't know if you've seen it but this forum link has a really useful Zac Efron hairstyle guide:
From what I can see Zac Efron has straight hair and goes a lot of the messy hairstyles with layers. I may be wrong but I believe that this type of hairstyle is only possible with straight hair and not with curly wavy hair.

Even when Zac Efron has his hair short he still keeps it messy and with sharp ends. Such hairstyle sharpness isn't possible with curly hair as with curly hair you'd get more roundness than sharpness. See this hairstyle picture of Zac Efron with short hair:

[Image: Zac_Efron_TIFF_2012.jpg]

It's a big mistake to assume that you can have the same hairstyle as someone else with a different hair type to yours. I speak from experience as I also used to do this and I wondered why I never got the hairstyle that I really wanted to get. This led me to spend stupid amounts of money on hair products that the rest of my friends used to get the same hairstyle that I wanted.

That's why it's so important to know your hair type and then choose your hairstyles based on that. You also have to consider the length of your hair but your hair type is like the starting point to choosing a good hairstyle.

I owe a lot to the following hair type guide in this forum which is an adaptation of the hair type guide and method that was created by a guy called Rogelio Samson and who published it in his book called 'the mens hair book':

That thread alone will save you a lot of money from not hitting your head against the wall trying to get hairstyles that are impossible for your hair type.

Since you have curly hair there is a big thread on curly hairstyles for men:

It's not that you cannot get messy hairstyles for curly hair. That's not the problem. The problem is that you won't get the same texture and look as the messy hairstyle of Zac Efron. This is simply because of his hair type aka hair shape. Curly hair like yours could be said to almost be on the other side of the hair type spectrum.

If you're not happy with the hairstyles for curly hair that you can get then you can always get your curly hair straight. There are several methods. You can use a flat iron which is a type of iron that straightens your hair using heat. You can also use a chemical product that makes your curly hair straight. It's called a relaxer and you can go to any hair salon to get it done. There's also another hair salon method called a brazilian blowout which uses a flat iron and a keratin product to keep your hair straightened for six months.

Useful advice for flat irons. It also includes what are the best flat irons to buy for men:

See this personal thread for the results of using a hair relaxer. From curly hair to straight hair:

Excellent thread covering the different hair straightening methods for men. It includes and explains the brazilian blowout method:

Go through those three threads if what you want is to make your hair less curly and even straight. By making your hair less curly you will get closer to the messy hairstyle look of Zac Efron.
05-09-2015, 05:28 PM
RE: Dry thick brittle wavy hair. Tips?
Thanks for your detailed reply.

It's hard to describe my hair but it's not really curly. I call it curly because the ends curl up but in general it's wavy and poofy. Some parts of the head are thicker than others and have move volume than other areas.

I will visit the forums like you suggested

Thanks Smile
05-10-2015, 12:47 PM
The messy hairstyle of Zac Efron is achieved with straight hair but not curly hair.
Welcome to the forum, Michael! I've upgraded your account so that you can embed pictures. It'd be a good idea to post a couple of pictures of your hair so that we can have an idea of how it looks since you mention in your last post that it isn't as curly as it could be interpreted to be.

Wavy hair can look curlier if it is not cared for very well. The frizz and dryness of wavy hair can give the impression of the hair being curlier, when all you'd need is a good hair conditioner and you've have well-defined waves on your hair.

As for those messy hair styles of Zac Efron, you'd really need to have straight hair with a lot of density to pull those looks. The hairstyles themselves are very easy and all you'd need is a good hair styling wax but you'd need to have his hair same type as curly hair (or even wavy hair) is pretty much impossible to get into messy spikes. You could, of course, consider one of the options that The Kid mentioned which is getting your hair straightened. This is quite a doable option and one that would get your the same messy hair style of Zac Efron! Smile

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  help me! wavy/frizzy hair problems red05five 3 122 10-14-2016 06:59 AM
Last Post: r3dzzz
  Thick wavy hair fukdd 0 118 10-07-2016 06:00 PM
Last Post: fukdd
  Haircut to turn curly hair into wavy hair? PinkChili 0 117 10-02-2016 03:57 AM
Last Post: PinkChili
  Awkward phase tips Sadboi2003 0 132 09-29-2016 07:36 AM
Last Post: Sadboi2003