Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dry shampoo, does it really work?
05-27-2013, 06:49 PM
Dry shampoo, does it really work?
I have been hearing about dry shampoo to clean your hair and my barber mentioned it today. No water is needed and is shake and go, so to speak. You spray it and then that's it, but I remain a bit skeptic. Any of the experts here now if dry shampoo works and what are some good ones?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-27-2013, 07:08 PM
RE: Dry shampoo, does it really work?
Dry shampoo works for cases where you simply want to control the sebum secreted by the scalp and when your use of hairstyling agents (i.e. products) is minor or non-existent. The problem is that most people don't use them right, and dry shampoo can itself leave residue behind in the same way that baking soda does when used to clean the hair (for what is worth, I have seen several brand of dry shampoo use baking soda among their ingredients).

I recommend you to use a dry shampoo for special occasions and complemented with your conventional shampoo. Mind you, the current range of dry shampoos available don't do anything out of the ordinary from what a conventional shampoo does, and I don't even mention them in my books because a shampoo, when used long term, needs to be rinsed out as otherwise scalp irritation will occur. Plus, the feedback I get from my readers is that the most advertised brands of dry shampoo are quite bad themselves.

Like I say, only use dry shampoo as a complement to your hair-grooming routine.

Author of the two bestselling hair-care books:

The Curly Hair Book: Or How Men Can Now Rock Their Waves, Coils And Kinks (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)

The Men's Hair Book: A Male's Guide To Hair Care, Hair Styles, Hair Grooming, Hair Products and Rocking It All Without The Baloney (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)
05-27-2013, 07:11 PM
Like Curly Hair awesomely mentioned above, dry shampoo is useful when you don't use too many hairstyling products. Dry shampoo works to clean the excess sebum produced which can help in improving the manageability of your hair.

However, it is important to mention that dry shampoo is not a substitute for regular shampoo, dry shampoo is more like a complement to your usual shampooing. An exception to this would be if you follow Rogelio's No Shampoo method and truly don't shampoo, only using his Sebum Coating method. Then a dry shampoo could become of use to help with sebum controlling.

Otherwise, use your regular shampoo and use the dry shampoo when your in a rush or when you don't wanna wet your hair to shampoo it. A perfect example for this is if you straighten your hair with a flat iron and dont wanna wet the hair as doing so will lose the straightened shape of the hair.

There is a wide dry shampoo range in the market. Some good dry shampoos are the ones listed below (can buy them easily at Amazon):

Klorane Gentle Dry Shampoo with Oat Milk

Batiste Dry Shampoo

Sexy Hair Big Sexy Hair Volumizing Dry Shampoo

Lulu Organics Hair Powder (this one comes as powder)

Make sure you already have a regular shampoo and have worked out your shampooing frequency!

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
05-27-2013, 07:13 PM
(05-27-2013 07:08 PM)Curly Hair Wrote:  Like I say, only use dry shampoo as a complement to your hair-grooming routine.

Damn, thanks man, you really know your stuff!! do I just sprinkle the shampoo or spray it on my hair and that's it?
05-27-2013, 07:18 PM
(05-27-2013 07:13 PM)James Wrote:  
(05-27-2013 07:08 PM)Curly Hair Wrote:  Like I say, only use dry shampoo as a complement to your hair-grooming routine.

Damn, thanks man, you really know your stuff!! do I just sprinkle the shampoo or spray it on my hair and that's it?

You should be either combing or using your fingers forming a rake after spraying or sprinkling the shampoo. After your apply the dry shampoo (spray/sprinkle), briefly massage the scalp and then run the comb/your fingers through the hair starting at the scalp.

Some companies make it look like you just spray their dry shampoo and that's it, magic will then occur. This is wrong; you still have to work your fingers for best results as otherwise you'll get a lot of residue buildup on the scalp.

Author of the two bestselling hair-care books:

The Curly Hair Book: Or How Men Can Now Rock Their Waves, Coils And Kinks (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)

The Men's Hair Book: A Male's Guide To Hair Care, Hair Styles, Hair Grooming, Hair Products and Rocking It All Without The Baloney (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)
05-27-2013, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the fast replies to both, love how people know their stuff in this forum Smile I think Ill try the Klorane dry shampoo as I have used a couple products from them in the past.
Oh and yes I have my usual shampoo and follow the "no shampoo method" from Rogelio, my frequency is 1 on/4 off, so maybe use the dry shampoo on the days I have to go to work and cant be wetting then shampoo my hair? maybe use spray the dry shampoo when stuck on traffic on my way to work Big Grin?

(05-27-2013 07:11 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Klorane Gentle Dry Shampoo with Oat Milk

Batiste Dry Shampoo

Make sure you already have a regular shampoo and have worked out your shampooing frequency!
05-27-2013, 09:03 PM
Yes, James. I think that would be a great way to complement your regular shampoo. You can even use the dry shampoo on the office's restroom when you get to work as it doesn't look like you have put anything on your hair.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
07-07-2013, 11:04 PM
Dry shampoo reduces the oil from your hair because it designed for oily hairs. Oily hair produces many problems and irritates a man so this is good for them. In your case, You better know that your have oily hairs or not. If you have oily hairs then it is good to use.
08-28-2013, 04:12 PM
(05-27-2013 07:11 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Klorane Gentle Dry Shampoo with Oat Milk

Batiste Dry Shampoo

tempted to buy any of those dry shampoos for a change...need to get new one anyhow
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Good shampoo for damaged hair and healthy straightened curls? red05five 0 57 11-20-2016 01:56 PM
Last Post: red05five
  Which anti-dandruff shampoo is best for volume? Dansercoer 0 287 03-30-2016 06:41 PM
Last Post: Dansercoer
  Thickening Shampoo for Oily Hair waystinthyme 0 272 03-25-2016 07:50 PM
Last Post: waystinthyme
  Head & Shoulders anti-dandruff shampoo not working King Mustard 1 578 09-23-2015 09:30 AM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum