Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dry scalp - what to do? Shampoo, frequency, products 0 0
Dry scalp - what to do? Shampoo, frequency, products
09-29-2018, 05:33 AM
Dry scalp - what to do? Shampoo, frequency, products
Hi guys,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but it seems the most appropriate based on the headings.

I am an adult male with short hair and have had dry hair for years. Originally, I assumed it was dandruff but did nothing to remediate the issue. Now I see that it is simply white flakes falling from my dry scalp.

Now as for how I wash my hair. For my whole life, I've been using warm-hot water to wash my hair. I've used shampoo and no conditioner. I then scratch my head during the washing process. To follow up with that, I also use a blow dryer.

Now I realise that I've been doing it all wrong and realise that is the cause of my dry scalp. My hair feels coarse whenever it grows to 6cm long. Feels like carpet.

My question is, will using a good conditioner help re-hydrate my hair? I have been thinking of just using conditioner (my hair does not feel dirty, just really itchy all the time even after I have just washed it).

I have been considering the American Crew Daily Conditioner. It is expensive but I have heard it helps dry scalps. However, I am not sure if it has parabens. Now, I am wondering whether this is a good product? If not, what product would you recommend? I don't want anything with SLS or harmful chemicals.

I am also using apple cider vinegar in the meantime but I don't believe that will solve the issue, maybe aloe vera?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-04-2018, 12:36 PM
Hair conditioners will not help hydrate the scalp, whereas shampooing frequency will!
A dry scalp has nothing to do with conditioners. A dry scalp is solved by shampooing less and allowing the sebum to spread out on its own. How frequently are you shampooing your hair and which shampoo product are you using?

Your current shampooing setup may be too aggressive. Have you read The Men's Hair Book by Rogelio Samson? In that book, you'll get all the info on how to shampoo according to your hair type and other factors.

If you want to avoid chemicals as far as your conditioner goes, then use coconut butter as your leave-in conditioner. Only use a small dab of coconut butter (size of your fingertip) for all the hair and spread the coconut butter smoothly without getting it on your scalp. Get this coconut butter to use as I've mentioned.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Thumbs Up Hair dye products to get silver hair color and style Richie 3 172 12-09-2018 12:45 PM
Last Post: Panther
  Best mens hair products for classic hairstyles and dapper haircuts Dapper to be 3 45 12-09-2018 08:20 AM
Last Post: Stevens
  Hair products for a casual slicked back style Don Lisander 1 365 10-14-2018 09:52 AM
Last Post: Ebony
  Which hair products for quiff hairstyle and thinning hair? bryan1908 8 3,920 09-04-2018 06:08 AM
Last Post: Hanish