Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does smoking cause male hair loss or balding? Is it direct or indirect?
02-27-2015, 08:17 AM
Exclamation Does smoking cause male hair loss or balding? Is it direct or indirect?
After reading two recent threads on smoking and hair health, does smoking cause hair loss? As in, is hair loss caused directly by smoking? Or is the hairloss or baldness indirect?

I ask because it was said in the threads that smoking impacts hair aesthetics. This makes sense because of the lack of nutrients to the follicles. But will you go bald from only smoking tobacco?
Thanks for the help Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-27-2015, 12:34 PM
RE: Does smoking cause male hair loss or balding? Is it direct or indirect?
I'm no expert and I don't know if it is a direct consequence but it sure as hell won't do you any good. Then again, my grandpa (who died of lung cancer) smoked 2 to 3 packs a day and was as bald as cue ball. Curiously, he did not lose what little hair he had left during quimo.

My advice: quit smoking. Stoping hair loss is as good a reason as any.
02-27-2015, 05:22 PM
hey Vlad it's good to see you in the forum again, i just read your update with minoxidil, good to hear its work in you.
I am no expert with this stuff but doesn't smoking create all kind of chits that screw up everything in the body from skin to blood circulation? most chronic smokers i know have wrinkled loose skin and especially in the face. Most people forget that the scalp is part of your skin and the smoke gets all around the head and hair. You end up screwing up your scalp and follicles from the inside and outside.

This forum pays special attention to healthy hair/avoiding hair loss and all that so you aren't going to get any supportive replies to continue smoking if that's what you're fishing for. You yourself know very well that mens hair loss is in part caused by lack of nutrition to the follicles thru the blood supply. If smoking thins and blocks capillaries would not you think that smoking is going to play a good part in aggravating any hair loss you may be suffering from???

(02-27-2015 12:34 PM)Il_Cavalieri Wrote:  I'm no expert and I don't know if it is a direct consequence but it sure as hell won't do you any good. Then again, my grandpa (who died of lung cancer) smoked 2 to 3 packs a day and was as bald as cue ball. Curiously, he did not lose what little hair he had left during quimo.

My advice: quit smoking. Stoping hair loss is as good a reason as any.

Sorry to hear that bro, lung cancer has also hit me close personally. I could not agree any more with you, quitting is best even if your only worry is hair loss and not something as bad as cancer.
03-01-2015, 06:40 AM
Hi mate smoking will cause hair loss. It can cause generalised hair loss from blocking the nutrients to the follicles or it can speed up male pattern baldness like you won't believe it.

Here in the UK the NHS (the UK's national health service) does include hair loss as part of the ailments that smokers suffer and that they have higher chances of getting compared to non smokers. They actually point to hair loss as one of the main reasons to give up smoking as smoking makes you age faster, not to mention having a balding head. That ca easily add 10 to 15 years to your face. Also what the guys said about lung cancer and better health, which is more important than hair loss itself too.
03-10-2015, 02:37 PM
Yes, smoking worsens male pattern baldness. So stop smoking to keep your hair.
(02-27-2015 08:17 AM)Vladimir Wrote:  After reading two recent threads on smoking and hair health, does smoking cause hair loss? As in, is hair loss caused directly by smoking? Or is the hairloss or baldness indirect?

I ask because it was said in the threads that smoking impacts hair aesthetics. This makes sense because of the lack of nutrients to the follicles. But will you go bald from only smoking tobacco?
Thanks for the help Smile

I you are going bald (which I know you unfortunately are), then it's in your interest to not smoke. Smoking (simply put) exacerbates your hair loss and intensifies it. Smoking in part messes with the delivery of nutrients to the follicles which will only make your hair loss worse. Think of it as the opposite of what you are achieving with minoxidil aka Rogaine as the minoxidil is improving the nutrient flow to the follicles and taming the follicle miniaturization that occurs with male pattern baldness.

By how much your male pattern baldness will be worsened will depend on the amount of cigarettes that you smoke daily. In any case, though, a few cigarettes per day is enough to affect the balding, and a pack of cigarettes a day is moving into dangerous turf (i.e. your hair loss will be sped up massively, so much that the hair that you would still have kept two years down the line will be lost two years earlier).

If you are serious about battling male pattern baldness, which I know that you are from the posts in the forum, then I suggest that you minimize the risk factors while maximizing your hair loss treatment. Even more, not only by quitting smoking will you keep your hair for longer but it will also look better than when it did when you smoked. I think that's a pretty good deal that you're quitting to kick the habit! Smile

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
03-13-2015, 08:02 AM
I think that smoking can cause loss of hair, but biggest role in hair loss have your DNA Smile
08-03-2015, 07:28 PM
I guess you should just stop smoking, and use some preventive hair loss products (if there is) or better yet use hair growth products.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Non-male pattern balding? Losing hair but unsure about reason AntonD 4 413 10-18-2016 06:28 PM
Last Post: AntonD
  Hair thickening fibers for balding - Do they work? HorseTears 1 156 10-11-2016 07:59 AM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum
  Bald father, grandad with full hair - Am I balding? 20 year old Benji_111 0 562 09-19-2016 08:43 AM
Last Post: Benji_111
  Is this hair loss? AwesomeHair 0 442 09-11-2016 05:31 AM
Last Post: AwesomeHair