Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does our haircut/hairstyle always have to be in fashion?
01-12-2014, 09:24 AM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2014 09:25 AM by titanic.)
Does our haircut/hairstyle always have to be in fashion?
Hello. I don't think there is a similar thread here so I wanted to talk about this thing that is bugging me a bit.
Do you think that we always have to have a haircut/hairstyle that is in fashion and in the current trends?
I mean:
I always liked the slicked back hairstyle and pompadours and stuff, but i was embarassed to do this since noone has it.
I'm living in Greece, and even now that this style is in fashion, noone wears it except for some celebrities on TV, singers etc. I don't see it in my everyday life in people.
I had such a hairstyle the other day, and a friend of mine said that noone has that look you're wearing (meaning it in a bad way that i'm out of fashion).

So, what do you think on this matter?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2014, 12:41 PM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2014 12:46 PM by Fros7y.)
RE: Does our haircut/hairstyle always have to be in fashion?
(01-12-2014 09:24 AM)titanic Wrote:  Hello. I don't think there is a similar thread here so I wanted to talk about this thing that is bugging me a bit.
Do you think that we always have to have a haircut/hairstyle that is in fashion and in the current trends?
I mean:
I always liked the slicked back hairstyle and pompadours and stuff, but i was embarassed to do this since noone has it.
I'm living in Greece, and even now that this style is in fashion, noone wears it except for some celebrities on TV, singers etc. I don't see it in my everyday life in people.
I had such a hairstyle the other day, and a friend of mine said that noone has that look you're wearing (meaning it in a bad way that i'm out of fashion).

I live in Bulgaria and I'm in a similar situation to yours. My friends always talk this way about my haircut, but still I like it so I tell them to deal with it. The problem mainly is that especially in my country these trendy styles are mainly used by homosexual people(or connected to them) and although I have no problem with that, most of the people in my country don't really tolerate them, and i think that's the core of the problem. Still as I said - I wear my hairstyle (which is slicked to the side) and I don't care about the comments(btw they are now kinda used to it, so they don't say anything). It's not what you wear, but how you wear it more importantly Smile
01-12-2014, 04:28 PM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2014 04:30 PM by titanic.)
Well, the problem also is that sometimes I feel I stick out like a sore thumb.
And I don't have any extreme haircut like mohawk or anything.

Maybe it's my idea, but I'm sure when I started recently to do this slicked style, I noticed people staring at me.
Also, I think many people find the greasy hairstyle disgusting..

Well, the good thing is that, for the first time, i received a couple of compliments in the pharmacist and in the bakery where I'm going!Big Grin
They said they loved my haircut.
01-12-2014, 07:36 PM
Titanic, you raise a very interesting and valid point, and Fros7y also adds an important issue (people calling you "homosexual" because of your hairstyle etc).

Guys, we created this forum to allow young (and old!) men like yourself to open your eyes and see that there is a wide range of styles and cuts that the "regular" people don't see or don't want to see.

Your hair is one of the first assets of yours that people see when they see you the first time. People will see your face, your facial hair if you have any, you body shape, your clothing...and...your HAIR. They won't see your cool tattoos or your muscles (unless you're at the beach) or even the cool tan you have. By the way, I am talking of normal encounters such as in an office, in a nightclub, in the supermarket etc.

People will rapidly examine your hair in a split second when they see you, so hair is much more important that what the average Joe thinks it is. Your hair determines your style; it is like the introduction to your image. When someone sees you, they scan you from top to bottom, and what do you have at the top? I rest my case.

About other people calling you homosexual etc... First of all, what is wrong with being "homosexual"? It's another respectful choice in life. So what, if you wear the hairstyle's that your friends have, they will now call you heterosexual? "Hey dude, you look sooo heterosexual!" " Hey bro, you so f**king hetero!"

If someone tells that you're homosexual because of your hair, then that person is not worth being your friend. I can understand it as a casual joke, but, if they are bullying you because of your hairstyle, then, brother, turn them away. Life is too short to be wasting it with people who have the vision of a donkey.

Talking about heterosexuals, you know what women LOVE? A REAL man. That's right, not one of those cookie cutter guys following the fashion style dictated by some magazine or some "hetero" fashion trends like your friends follow. REAL MEN carry themselves through life being assertive in their decisions because they trust their own beliefs and values. What does this mean? It means that, if you like a slicked back hairstyle because you "just" like it, then you get your slicked back hairstyle like a Sir and continue yourself through life in #BossMode, understand? Get yourself new friends, buddy, there's many "hetero" (and homosexual) dudes that are happy to be friends with dudes who believe in themselves.

[Image: feel_like_a_sir_by_joki165-d4se2h1.jpg]

Lastly and just so your friends know, you know who have been the real pushers of men's fashion? homosexual people. homosexual menswear designers, homosexual hairstylists, homosexual advertising executives, homosexual fashion promoters, homosexual bouncers freezing their butt outside a fashion show in Milan. You know who made the High and Tight a stylish haircut a couple of years ago? The male homosexual community. You know who made the shaggy haircut style fashionable some 2 years ago? That's right, the homosexual men in London, Madrid, Paris, Rome, Berlin and other Euro cities. So, next time they call you homosexual, simply tell them "Well, if I were to be homosexual, then I'd be proud to be part of their community", and then walk away from those idiots who try to bully you.

Guys, I don't know your age as you're knew in the forum, but I'm guessing you are under 30. What I have said above may sound far fetched as you may want to continue befriending those who think they' re insulting you because of your styling decision. I can guarantee you that, in a couple of years, you will look back and laugh at that. And I can guarantee you that, if you start believing in yourself, you will not even look back in a couple of years.

Ok, that's my rant over Smile And yes, get your slick back hairstyle, my friend.

(01-12-2014 09:24 AM)titanic Wrote:  Hello. I don't think there is a similar thread here so I wanted to talk about this thing that is bugging me a bit.
I mean:

(01-12-2014 12:41 PM)Fros7y Wrote:  
I mean:

I live in Bulgaria and I'm in a similar situation to yours. My friends always talk this way about my haircut, but still I like it so I tell them to deal with it. The problem mainly is that especially in my country these trendy styles are mainly used by homosexual people(or connected to them) and although I have no problem with that, most of the people in my country don't really tolerate them, and i think that's the core of the problem. Still as I said - I wear my hairstyle (which is slicked to the side) and I don't care about the comments(btw they are now kinda used to it, so they don't say anything). It's not what you wear, but how you wear it more importantly Smile

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
01-14-2014, 10:26 AM
I am 33 and by the way, I'm homosexual.
But that isn't my problem (that people will think I'm homosexual with that hairstyle).

It's like i said that I feel alone in this.
I would feel more comfortable if I saw more people with this hairstlye out in the street, and not just me!
By the way, you may not believe this, but i haven't seen a single one like this!!
(I live in Athens, Greece)
Only a couple on TV!
01-14-2014, 11:17 AM
(01-14-2014 10:26 AM)titanic Wrote:  I am 33 and by the way, I'm homosexual.
But that isn't my problem (that people will think I'm homosexual with that hairstyle).

It's like i said that I feel alone in this.
I would feel more comfortable if I saw more people with this hairstlye out in the street, and not just me!
By the way, you may not believe this, but i haven't seen a single one like this!!
Only a couple on TV!

Hey buddy, maybe I was not clear enough, I was referring with the comment on being labeled as "homosexual" to Fros7y, not you Smile

I know it is difficult to find people who take a step to the side and think outside the box. The more you hang around this forum, the more you will realize that there are more and more of us (and this forum is growing fast) that we want to have cool classic hairstyles or rare haircuts that the average Joes don't know of or think are wrong. Or how about facial hair or body hair, which we too cover in this forum?

You have a source of "hair styling and fashion" support in this forum, I will tell you that! Smile

P.S: do you know who Zachary Quinto is? Famous actor who he loves wearing the slicked back hairstyle (and side swept), check out his thread, Zachary Quinto's hairstyles and haircuts, for some hair inspiration for the kind of hairstyles you like! And if it is of any use, Zachary Quinto is homosexual and a really cool guy Smile

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
01-14-2014, 03:15 PM
No worries Mr. administrator.
I didn't say it as a reply to you..Smile
i just said it in the course of discussion.

Yes, I know about Zachary Quinto and I really like some hairstlyes.
Well, there's the problem again. That you see such hairstyles in celebrities.
Anyway, I guess I should try to feel more comfortable with whatever hairstyle I like and choose.

i really admire some people I see that may have a unique appearance and they seem to be very comfortable with it.
01-14-2014, 04:26 PM
(01-14-2014 03:15 PM)titanic Wrote:  No worries Mr. administrator.
I didn't say it as a reply to you..Smile
i just said it in the course of discussion.

Yes, I know about Zachary Quinto and I really like some hairstlyes.
Well, there's the problem again. That you see such hairstyles in celebrities.
Anyway, I guess I should try to feel more comfortable with whatever hairstyle I like and choose.

i really admire some people I see that may have a unique appearance and they seem to be very comfortable with it.

In my opinion, this gives you an even better chance to "stand out" from the rest of the crowd. The same way that you admire some people for being comfortable with their own style and appearance, the same way that you can do that and inspire other people to follow the same.

One of the European countries I haven't visited is Greece, how do men there see the expressing of oneself and building one's own image instead of following what others do?

For example, having a Gatsby-style side swept while wearing a tuxedo and a monocle during the day to express one's bohemian style would not raise an eyebrow in New York or Berlin, but go to to any rural American town in the Deep South and one would raise many eyebrows, and not in a good way Big Grin How about in Athens/Greece? What's the consensus with regards to self-expression in style?

[Image: monocle.jpg]

01-14-2014, 06:21 PM
Greece is behind in many things.
So apparently it's in hairstyles etc.
Anything out of the norm, is looked down upon.
At least in my environment, but i guess in most people too with regular jobs etc. and not artistic ones.

So, if i wear just a regular slicked back hairstyle with a parting and people look at me funny (i noticed this lately), imagine what a more extreme hairstyle would do!
01-15-2014, 03:55 AM
(01-14-2014 06:21 PM)titanic Wrote:  Greece is behind in many things.
So apparently it's in hairstyles etc.
Anything out of the norm, is looked down upon.
At least in my environment, but i guess in most people too with regular jobs etc. and not artistic ones.

So, if i wear just a regular slicked back hairstyle with a parting and people look at me funny (i noticed this lately), imagine what a more extreme hairstyle would do!

Ah, I see. That's a pity!

01-16-2014, 02:08 PM
I personally see more and more lads getting custom hairstyles and what not.
They come to me and ask me about the latests hairstyles and then ask me if i could give it a spin off my own to fit their personalities etc I am seeing the pattern so I believe this will become more commonplace in european countries, perhaps not so fast in the med. countries compared to northern european countries but it will happen.
FWIW the greek lads I have met in the UK/London were stylish and just about all had shaggy haircuts and other modern hairstyles. And also wear aviator sunglasses whenever possible even if its cloudy and rainy lol

Oldschool barber getting it on with the internet era.
01-16-2014, 04:00 PM (This post was last modified: 01-16-2014 04:01 PM by titanic.)
(01-16-2014 02:08 PM)Barber Wrote:  And also wear aviator sunglasses whenever possible even if its cloudy and rainy lol

I guess they are used to, from the climate in Greece!Big Grin
(by the way, I like cloudy and rainy more than sunny. It fits my personality perfectly)
01-16-2014, 07:28 PM
(01-14-2014 10:26 AM)titanic Wrote:  It's like i said that I feel alone in this.
Only a couple on TV!
Well, I guess it depends on where you live... Confused
I also had doubts about those kind of hairstyles but for the exact opposite reason: you see them all the time! xD They are quite common here in Portugal, actually. ^^'
Why did I have doubts then? Well... I just didn't want to look like a clone! Rolleyes
But I don't care anymore, I like them and, to me, they look so damn good so I just better rock it! hehe Tongue
We, people who live in society, must really stop caring about what other people think, otherwise we are not going to be truly happy, at least not while being ourselves. Heart

(01-16-2014 02:08 PM)Barber Wrote:  And also wear aviator sunglasses whenever possible even if its cloudy and rainy lol
Haha, that's so me! xD Sometimes I even "forget" to take them off while in the subway... Angel
01-17-2014, 04:52 AM
(01-16-2014 04:00 PM)titanic Wrote:  

I guess they are used to, from the climate in Greece!Big Grin
(by the way, I like cloudy and rainy more than sunny. It fits my personality perfectly)

Big Grin The climate in London isn't that bad IMO the winters are nothing like the winters in NE USA and even though London/UK is at a higher latitude!

(01-16-2014 07:28 PM)Drokas Wrote:  
(01-14-2014 10:26 AM)titanic Wrote:  It's like i said that I feel alone in this.
Only a couple on TV!
Well, I guess it depends on where you live... Confused
I also had doubts about those kind of hairstyles but for the exact opposite reason: you see them all the time! xD They are quite common here in Portugal, actually. ^^'
Why did I have doubts then? Well... I just didn't want to look like a clone! Rolleyes
But I don't care anymore, I like them and, to me, they look so damn good so I just better rock it! hehe Tongue
We, people who live in society, must really stop caring about what other people think, otherwise we are not going to be truly happy, at least not while being ourselves. Heart

Haha, that's so me! xD Sometimes I even "forget" to take them off while in the subway... Angel

+100

That's the goal with out forum, to show you folks all the kind of styles you can really do to you hair/facial hair. Your face is what people see for the vast amount of time you're alive, and your scalp hair and facial hair occupy a big % of your head, so it makes sense to really try to make your hair stand out as you can't change your facial features but you sure can change your hair!

01-17-2014, 12:47 PM
(01-16-2014 07:28 PM)Drokas Wrote:  They are quite common here in Portugal, actually. ^^'

Yeah, I have noticed too that in that part of Europe (also in Mexico, Brazil and such) it is very common.
I see it all the time in telenovelas.
01-21-2014, 03:07 PM
Well i really cant add anything else other than saying that i agree with every one here! and also that i am happy to find that everyone here is so cool about experimenting with styles and finding your perfect style ... also TMHF is always motivating every body to find the hairstyles that they truly like without him joking about it or stereotyping anyone in the forum and some of the s*it some alpha wannabe dudes online sometimes say to men who look after their hair/beard/body hair/clothes!
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What hairstyle suits best! hadiawan 0 73 12-01-2016 12:45 AM
Last Post: hadiawan
  Help regarding a haircut (undercut) zorrocat1 0 269 10-30-2016 05:26 AM
Last Post: zorrocat1
  Haircut fix Pgreene431 1 189 10-28-2016 02:26 PM
Last Post: Sertinjo
  Widow peak(Short haircut) Alexander 0 214 10-24-2016 06:21 PM
Last Post: Alexander