Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does dandruff cause male hair loss?
04-13-2015, 11:56 AM
Does dandruff cause male hair loss?
I read that there was a correlation between dandruff and hair loss so I wanted to ask, does dandruff cause male hair loss? It might sound like a silly question or perhaps I misunderstood what I read about hairloss and dandruff. However it was worrying enough for me to go ahead and ask the question as I have some dandruff and I have seen that anti dandruff products are usually recommended for men with male pattern alopecia.

Apparently anti-dandruff products augment the benefit of the male hair loss treatment, so surely dandruff and male pattern baldness must be connected if not downright cause it? Should you worry about going bald if you have dandruff??

It would be great to read of any replies with regards to the connection between dandruff and male alopecia please.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-04-2015, 08:13 AM
The fungus that causes dandruff does aggravate male hair loss but does not cause it.
Dandruff itself, or more like the actual fungus that causes dandruff, does not cause male pattern baldness (i.e. the type of irreversible hair loss in men).

Having said the above, the Malassezia globosa fungus that causes dandruff does create inflammation of the scalp, which then aggravates male pattern baldness. Since the inflammation is localized at the scalp, it affects the follicles, although the exact mechanism of action is not known. What is believed is that the Malassezia globosa contributes indirectly to aggravate (and speed up) male patter baldness by creating an inflamed (i.e. bad) environment for the hair follicles to thrive and produce high-quality hair strands.

In many hair loss treatments for men, an anti-fungal shampoo is recommended is dandruff is apparent. There is anecdotal evidence of anti-fungal shampoos helping in slowing down male pattern baldness and working in synergy with the rest of the hair loss products (e.g. minoxidil) used in the treatment of androgenetic alopcia (i.e. male pattern baldness).

Among the recommended anti-fungal shampoos, any that contains ketoconazole is a great choice. For anyone suffring from male pattern baldness and dandruff, have a look at this list of OTC hair loss products for men and see the 2 ketoconazole shampoos that we recommend. Any of those 2 keto shampoos together with any of the minoxidil-based products also listed in the linked post will work very well as a compounded treatment for male hair loss.

If you aren't suffering from male pattern baldness but you do have dandruff, the good news is that dandruff is very easily to treat in men, especially if you have short hair or medium-length hair. Here in this link is a list of the best anti dandruff shampoos for men which differ in pricing and in potency to treat dandruff. Likewise, they're over-the-counter dandruff shampoo and they both affordable and easy to buy from the listed vendors in the links for each anti dandruff shampoo in that list that I've linked to.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
05-06-2015, 01:26 PM (This post was last modified: 05-06-2015 01:28 PM by SAMCRO.)
RE: Does dandruff cause male hair loss?
Quick question. I washed my hair last monday morning (with very little shampoo), today (wednesday evening) I washed it again (with shampoo). I saw a lot of hair strands in the sink.

So I counted them roughly. I came out to a total of about 180 strands. Is this normal? This really worries me, even though I have no sign of balding whatsoever (thank god).

Other times it's like 80 or 100 strands. It's kind of less when I wash my hair without shampoo. I wash my hair every other day. My hair is short, so I don't understand why it's that much.
05-07-2015, 11:53 AM
Yes it should in theory be normal because shampooing followed by a conditioner is what mostly removes the shed hair strands. If you don't shampoo daily then you have a fair amount of hair strands that are practically shed but are still hanging around on your hair which isn't a bad thing by the way and actually makes your hair look thicker.

Consider that an average guy who isn't balding can lose between 80 all the way up to 150 strands per day. It depends on his hair density and how fast his hair grows as well as the hair growth cycle if it's shorter or longer. So in your case it'd be completely normal as you yourself have said that you used only a little bit of shampoo on the first day which for all purposes would have done very little to remove shed hair strands from the previous days.

I remember seeing some pictures of your hair and you have a lot of hair so you look to be on the higher end of hair density. This would then mean that you shed a lot more hair than the average lad. I would not worry about it unless you suddenly realise one day in the mirror that you can see your scalp from all angles in daylight.
05-07-2015, 03:10 PM
(05-07-2015 11:53 AM)Bradley Wrote:  Yes it should in theory be normal because shampooing followed by a conditioner is what mostly removes the shed hair strands. If you don't shampoo daily then you have a fair amount of hair strands that are practically shed but are still hanging around on your hair which isn't a bad thing by the way and actually makes your hair look thicker.

Consider that an average guy who isn't balding can lose between 80 all the way up to 150 strands per day. It depends on his hair density and how fast his hair grows as well as the hair growth cycle if it's shorter or longer. So in your case it'd be completely normal as you yourself have said that you used only a little bit of shampoo on the first day which for all purposes would have done very little to remove shed hair strands from the previous days.

I remember seeing some pictures of your hair and you have a lot of hair so you look to be on the higher end of hair density. This would then mean that you shed a lot more hair than the average lad. I would not worry about it unless you suddenly realise one day in the mirror that you can see your scalp from all angles in daylight.

Thanks bro, your reply really gave me peace of mind. I do see some of my scalp when I stand under my bathroom light, but I guess that's just normal Smile
07-10-2015, 09:52 AM
I am 50 years old, am I do have dandruff. I am losing hair at the top of my head, but I don't know if dandruff is the cause of losing my hair
07-27-2015, 04:19 PM
(04-13-2015 11:56 AM)US Asian Wrote:  I read that there was a correlation between dandruff and hair loss so I wanted to ask, does dandruff cause male hair loss? It might sound like a silly question or perhaps I misunderstood what I read about hairloss and dandruff. However it was worrying enough for me to go ahead and ask the question as I have some dandruff and I have seen that anti dandruff products are usually recommended for men with male pattern alopecia.

Apparently anti-dandruff products augment the benefit of the male hair loss treatment, so surely dandruff and male pattern baldness must be connected if not downright cause it? Should you worry about going bald if you have dandruff??

It would be great to read of any replies with regards to the connection between dandruff and male alopecia please.

Hello US Asian,

What is your age? I have a hairloss center in Delta Canada and in response to your question. Dandruff does not cause balding but it is a symptom of male pattern baldness stage 1. Dandruff appears between the ages of 12-17 years old in stage one of the male pattern baldness (MPB) scale and then progresses to oily scalp in stage 2 at about 25 to 30 years old. Male pattern Baldness is caused by the production of DHT (Dihydrotestosterone). This is caused by a 5-Alpha reductase and Testosterone mixing together. 5-Alpha reductase only appears on the top of the scalp and that is why men will only go bald on the top and never on the sides or back.

Hope this helps.
08-03-2015, 07:19 PM
So, if dandruff is stage 1 for hair loss. Is it advisable to wash our hair everyday? because I noticed that if I skip washing my hair even just for a day, it gets oily immediately.
08-04-2015, 07:49 PM (This post was last modified: 08-04-2015 07:49 PM by hairrazor.)
(08-03-2015 07:19 PM)robert winsled Wrote:  So, if dandruff is stage 1 for hair loss. Is it advisable to wash our hair everyday? because I noticed that if I skip washing my hair even just for a day, it gets oily immediately.

Depending on your age, if your hair is getting oily along with scales (dandruff) you could be going into stage 2 male pattern baldness. You need to clear this problem with proper shampoo and treatments to control the DHT.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Will hair regrow after scratching dandruff off scalp? Anon P 0 113 11-05-2016 05:27 AM
Last Post: Anon P
  Non-male pattern balding? Losing hair but unsure about reason AntonD 4 418 10-18-2016 06:28 PM
Last Post: AntonD
  Is this hair loss? AwesomeHair 0 449 09-11-2016 05:31 AM
Last Post: AwesomeHair
  Male pattern baldness with itchy scalp starting at 18 years of age? kokolala666 1 364 09-07-2016 03:16 PM
Last Post: kokolala666