Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does Excessive Wind Cause Hair Damage
11-24-2014, 05:12 AM (This post was last modified: 11-24-2014 05:13 AM by Unshorn.)
Question Does Excessive Wind Cause Hair Damage
I have a fairly long commute and love to do the ride with the windows down. I love the feel of the wind blowing my hair around. Granted, it makes a mess of things, but is it bad for my hair? Does the constant blowing accelerate split ends? I'm not having an issue with tangles, but would like to know if I'm causing undue stress on my mane as I grow it to a long length.

Thanks for any insight!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-24-2014, 09:20 AM
RE: Does Excessive Wind Cause Hair Damage
Unfortunately it does, but it depends on how maniac you want to go about it.

Any pulling of you hair is bad. That's pulling it unintentionally, brushing it or having it pulled back by wind. Split ends won't be the issue here, the issue would be traction alopecia. If the wind is strong enough and you're exposed to it for a long time (i.e. whole commute) and you do this every day (i.e. this isn't a "one off" thing), then it's possible you could be damaging your hair by having it pull off from the follicle (i.e. hair loss caused by traction).

If we are talking of say 20 mph, then I'd say that's fine, but if you're doing 100 mph in a convertible with the hood down, then I'd say you would be better not doing it every day.

Lastly, if you have curly hair, then it can lead to tangles. So simply use a little more leave-in conditioner to lubricate the curls. If you grow your hair longer, then wind will also lead to tangles, so take that into account if you plan on growing your hair longer.

As you can see, this is how obsessive you want to be. However, when it comes to scalp hair (i.e. the hair on top of the head), it's way better to be more obsessive than less obsessive, especially in men (since you never know when real male pattern baldness will attack).

I will also add that, if you are a male with male pattern baldness, then you should avoid wind. In the case of MPB, you must (not should) avoid any pulling of the hair.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
11-24-2014, 11:02 AM
RE: Does Excessive Wind Cause Hair Damage
(11-24-2014 09:20 AM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Lastly, if you have curly hair, then it can lead to tangles. So simply use a little more leave-in conditioner to lubricate the curls. If you grow your hair longer, then wind will also lead to tangles, so take that into account if you plan on growing your hair longer.

this chit so real only kinky curly heads can know how wind funks up for bad your afro
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How to reverse or treat hair damage? Vladimir 3 1,998 12-27-2014 03:19 AM
Last Post: AddyB
Tongue Get Beach Wind Swept Surfer Hair Alex Dean 0 1,974 06-18-2013 01:29 PM
Last Post: Alex Dean